Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Workplaces and employer attitudes Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

Can you not clarify whether you are a contractor or a member of staff working there on a set contract through an agency?
    If you are there through an agency there is not much the company can do for you....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 farty90210

As a matter of interest, do you think there should have been a bonus at all?

I don't actually mind as I know my place in the company. I wasn't surprised when it was announced as I was expecting it.

It's just disheartening when say for example on a team theres 5 people, 2 are permanent, 3 are external, all do the same jobs. The 3 are all trying to be made permanent and going above and beyond. Then this happens.

I don't mind not getting a bonus at all. I'm purely there for the job experience and career building.

For some reason it's just that during a pandemic it's kinda pissed everyone off moreso than a general bonus to permanent. That's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

farty90210 wrote: »
    I don't actually mind as I know my place in the company. I wasn't surprised when it was announced as I was expecting it.

It's just disheartening when say for example on a team theres 5 people, 2 are permanent, 3 are external, all do the same jobs. The 3 are all trying to be made permanent and going above and beyond. Then this happens.

I don't mind not getting a bonus at all. I'm purely there for the job experience and career building.

For some reason it's just that during a pandemic it's kinda pissed everyone off moreso than a general bonus to permanent. That's all.

Sorry, what I mean is, is such a good idea in general? Even if everybody is to get it?

Sorry, what I mean is, is such a good idea in general? Even if everybody is to get it?

It's not for me to say otherwise I'd be labelled entitled and a third party as a previous poster.

To be honest when external staff are helping more outside of their jobs so as to help the company it's just a bit of a kick in the teeth. I'll delete my account after this.

has this been mentioned anywhere else in the media?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

It's not for me to say otherwise I'd be labelled entitled and a third party as a previous poster.

To be honest when external staff are helping more outside of their jobs so as to help the company it's just a bit of a kick in the teeth. I'll delete my account after this.

Don’t be so sensitive. It just a question. We are on a discussion board after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Bojill

It's grand. I have another job lined up for better pay. Just a bit sad to leave on a sour note. At least I'll leave with a great reference.

If you're leaving the job, you wouldn't have got the bonus anyway as its only get paid at the end of next month.

Bojill wrote: »
    If you're leaving the job, you wouldn't have got the bonus anyway as its only get paid at the end of next month.

how do you know?

how do you know?

How do you think I know?

How do you think I know?

cos you were informed yesterday :D

have you read about it anywhere else online?

• Advertisement

how do you know?

There’s been numerous threads here about that, and I’ve first hand experience of it myself. You haven’t a hope of getting a bonus if you hand in notice before it’s paid.

cos you were informed yesterday :D

have you read about it anywhere else online?

Best of luck in your new job, hopefully the bonuses are good.

Best of luck in your new job, hopefully the bonuses are good.

they will be

they will be

Great, happily ever after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭OU812

has this been mentioned anywhere else in the media?

WTF?!?

Why would something as mundane as a company paying its staff a bonus get mentioned in media??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I don't mind not getting a bonus at all.

The man doth protest too much......you clearly do mind because you said already you won't be helping permanent staff.

Petty BS overall - what age are you? 12?

The man doth protest too much......you clearly do mind because you said already you won't be helping permanent staff.

Petty BS overall - what age are you? 12?

Depends if it’s part of the job description. Never do anything you don’t have to in a job because when the time comes you won’t be looked after.
    If they have to do it then fair enough, they should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭OU812

Depends if it’s part of the job description. Never do anything you don’t have to in a job because when the time comes you won’t be looked after.
    If they have to do it then fair enough, they should be.

The "any other duties" clause covers this.

I’m really struggling with the idea of this now and want to be off work. Every day I’m around other employees or meeting customers and it’s too high a risk for a death sentence. Is there any way I can get off work and get the 350 to pay the rent or are the only options faking symptoms so you can isolate or quit the job completely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭Masala

I’m really struggling with the idea of this now and want to be off work. Every day I’m around other employees or meeting customers and it’s too high a risk for a death sentence. Is there any way I can get off work and get the 350 to pay the rent or are the only options faking symptoms so you can isolate or quit the job completely?

Well. You could ring your doctor and complain u have symptoms and he will give u a letter to self-isolate. You then inform work and they tell u to stay at home. You then can go online and make a claim. This will give you 2 weeks. Employer will insist on another cert to let you back to work...

Otherwise you can resign ... but that mens you can’t get the 350 and start the Dole process for €203 with you may or may not get in 4-6 weeks time. Company will then get a replacement with someone willing to work...and you become a statistic on the unemployment figures and can start looking for a new job when this Is all over.

Meanwhile ... other at work now have to be selected to work doubles etc to cover you as you couldn’t care less about them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,051 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Masala wrote: »
    Well. You could ring your doctor and complain u have symptoms and he will give u a letter to self-isolate. You then inform work and they tell u to stay at home. You then can go online and make a claim. This will give you 2 weeks. Employer will insist on another cert to let you back to work...

Otherwise you can resign ... but that mens you can’t get the 350 and start the Dole process for €203 with you may or may not get in 4-6 weeks time. Company will then get a replacement with someone willing to work...and you become a statistic on the unemployment figures and can start looking for a new job when this Is all over.

Meanwhile ... other at work now have to be selected to work doubles etc to cover you as you couldn’t care less about them.

What a nice sympathetic smart arse answer.
    And it was my understanding that you cannot claim the dole if you resign.

The company is wrong, not me. Why should I die for other people?

That’s a low life dirty rotten answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Seve OB wrote: »
    And it was my understanding that you cannot claim the dole if you resign.

It just extends the wait period, usually, if its on sexual grounds its paid straight away, afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭Masala

You must be in a essential service area or you wouldn't be working. There are plenty of other people in the same boat but they are opened to keep the system running. If everyone in essential services took this attitude it wouldn't be long before we have no nurses, no food coming to Tesco, no shops to open etc. You are talking about faking the system to claim your €350 ..... and I gave you an answer.

If you feel so strongly - resign. The company is not to blame for this virus... they have a business and other jobs to protect. If its part of essential services - it has a responsibility to stay open to contribute to the system .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,360 ✭✭✭bladespin

Are you in a high risk category: over 70, underlying health issue?

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

The company my husband works for are so busy with orders coming in for "essential" items such as make up and face creams that they've had to hire more staff. That means more people in the warehouse, more risk of passing the virus around. I wish all these people going on online shopping sprees would take a moment to think about the other people at the end of their order. Unfortunately a lot of businesses and employers aren't responsible enough to follow the guidelines, we should all be thinking carefully about the ramifications of our actions at this time.

Unfortunately a lot of businesses and employers aren't responsible enough to follow the guidelines, we should all be thinking carefully about the ramifications of our actions at this time.

Then it's up to those who know this to report a health risk to the HSE, not the buyers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

bladespin wrote: »
    Then it's up to those who know this to report a health risk to the HSE, not the buyers.

I've detailed this already earlier in this thread but, I spoke to the Gardai who told me they couldn't do anything and I'd need to report it to the HSE, so I spoke to the HSE who told me they have no way or checking the business and the only other person I could report it to was perhaps some local representatives.

There is no one checking these businesses, they can do what they want because they know people don't want to lose their jobs.

I've detailed this already earlier in this thread but, I spoke to the Gardai who told me they couldn't do anything and I'd need to report it to the HSE, so I spoke to the HSE who told me they have no way or checking the business and the only other person I could report it to was perhaps some local representatives.

There is no one checking these businesses, they can do what they want because they know people don't want to lose their jobs.

It's very simple then, refuse to work in a dangerous environment, at the end of the day the duty lies with yourself, if anything happens then they have a fair case.

It's not nice but if that's the only alternative then you have to take it, the internet has no way of sorting suppliers and it's wrong to blame someone for buying something that they can fairly buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Not necessarily. A guy working 15 hours a week at my local offie quit out of paranoia. Filled out the form on a whim and is now getting the 350. Not sure what exactly he wrote on it but it's a very basic form. No proof of anything required.

Advertisement