Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Workplaces and employer attitudes Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I've been telling people for years not to get married and not to have kids. There is no support.

I've been on the fence about starting a family and flip flop between really wanting kids, and really not wanting them.

This pandemic has really shined a spotlight on the difficulties faced by working parents, and how unaccommodating employers can be.

Think myself and the other half might be happier just ourselves and a few dogs... save ourselves all the stress and pressure.

I still have no word at all from my employer about when I might be able to start back. I haven't worked since the 12th of March. I will need to find new accommodation before I move back up the country but I can't really look into rooms properly unless I know when I'll be moving in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭dockysher

Quick question guys, my partner is a nurse on coronavirus warde in hospital.
    We needed a valve changed to water pump badly as it making water run really slow. We were waiting a few weeks since we asked landlord and no sign of plumber.
    So we rang yesterday and said job was critical so plumber came out to do job and in general conservation he asked where me and my partner worked.
    I told him and mentioned she worked in hospital, she is at work today. He then flat out refused to do work and said any healthcare worker needs to isolate for 2 weeks before he comes into there house and was very mad he wasnt informed of where she worked beforehand.
    Is this not discrimination against healthcare workers and nurses or had he the right to be informed where we worked before he called out for job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

dockysher wrote: »
    . He then flat out refused to do work and said any healthcare worker needs to isolate for 2 weeks before he comes into there house and was very mad he wasnt informed of where she worked beforehand.
    Is this not discrimination against healthcare workers and nurses or had he the right to be informed where we worked before he called out for job?

Never heard of it and I work in a hospital! One of the girls here had work done yesterday no problem. If that's his own rules then he should have asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭dockysher

He said we put his clients health at risk by not informing him my partner works in hospital and he would have take few days off work now to ensure he had no symptoms.
    He was in house for only like 5 mins and wasnt near me as i kept distance.
    Was a bit crazy but thats his decision i suspouse.
    We now have to wait for landlord to get another plumber

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

A handful of mates going back to work next week... well at least they are supposed to. There is no childcare facilities available to do them so they are unable to return to work.

Thankfully most employers understand this aspect but there is at least one major Irish employer that literally does not give a **** and want everyone back to work on Monday without question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Companies have to operate, for those who can support work from home without it having a negative impact on business can continue to do so. But those who need to have staff on site will have to reopen at some stage or risk never opening again.

Its not ideal, the lack of childcare is going to be a big problem for families.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

jrosen wrote: »
    Companies have to operate, for those who can support work from home without it having a negative impact on business can continue to do so. But those who need to have staff on site will have to reopen at some stage or risk never opening again.

Its not ideal, the lack of childcare is going to be a big problem for families.

Yeah I'm sure there is a large enough number of people already in the childcare situation that'll only continue to grow

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

I and a number of colleagues have been working from home a lot over the last 10 years. Have come across a fair few gobsh*** employers who have not considered WFH, using examples that they couldn't trust staff. When questioned about long commutes, it wasn't their concern.

We are at the beginning of a sea change in work culture. Benefits are going to outweigh the negatives. A proper work/life balance for starters.

I'd say a fair few employers should consider training on this, about getting it right

Examples of organisations having now more on-line meetings, I'd say that's because of the trust issue, but also because some 'managers' are beginning to see a lot of their roles are becoming redundant and it is an effort to keep themselves relevant. Some general office manager roles will change.

Our company got acquired last year and the parent company had a zero WFH policy. Obviously with this madness they've had to embrace it. They've embraced it so much their shutting the office permanently and moving everyone to WFH!

That's OK for me because I work remote anyway so have a separate room and proper set up but I feel sorry for all my colleagues who are now working full time from their kitchen.

I can't help with wonder what other companies will go this way. There has to be massive appeal from a cost perspective if the company are as productive.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

A handful of mates going back to work next week... well at least they are supposed to. There is no childcare facilities available to do them so they are unable to return to work.

Thankfully most employers understand this aspect but there is at least one major Irish employer that literally does not give a **** and want everyone back to work on Monday without question.

Hope that 'major Irish employer' has a plan in place. The Health & Safety Authority will be mindful of any issues. We seemed to have been asleep at the wheel with the meat factories recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

Cal4567 wrote: »

We are at the beginning of a sea change in work culture. Benefits are going to outweigh the negatives. A proper work/life balance for starters.
    I can't help with wonder what other companies will go this way. There has to be massive appeal from a cost perspective if the company are as productive.

This is a seismic societal change that we are only beginning to comprehend the effects of:

- residential and commercial property values: how much demand for all those new, shiny buildings in downtown Dublin? will people live further away in larger and cheaper homes given less need to commute?

- convenience stores and services, usually higher priced because in the center of town and exist only because we dont have time to do these things close to home
    - childcare in city center... exists only because we can drop off and collect everyday before and after work
    - the number of overpriced coffeeshops and lunch spots that will close down

the list goes on and on...
    i'm aware that it's easy to over extrapolate the current situation into the future but even if only 20-30% of us will never go back into the office on a permanent basis it'll have a material effect.

i have several non-irish friends that work for google, amazon, fb in Dublin... they are all considering going back to spain, france, italy once travel is allowed and giving up their flat in Dublin. if companies allow that they could could come for a week a month and stay in a hotel or airbnb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Why would any employer think remote working is a bad idea? Once you can guarantee productivity, who cares where somebody is doing it from?
    Advantage:
    1. Cost of living. If somebody can live in a rural area and has a cheaper mortgage, etc then their disposable income will increase
    2. Commute. Less packed trains/buses/etc, little or no commute unless you need a co-working space
    3. Less expense on office space.
    4. Can attract an international market. No reason why somebody overseas couldn't work for you.

I am sure there's more but they are off the top of my head. It is a no brainer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

_Brian wrote: »
    Will temperature checks be mandatory on return from the 18th ??

The guidance documents from the HSA says they are a must, but I know of one employer who says they don't have to be done..

That's dangerous on behalf of the employer. Did you tell them the HSA is mandating it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Salty wrote: »
    I've been on the fence about starting a family and flip flop between really wanting kids, and really not wanting them.

This pandemic has really shined a spotlight on the difficulties faced by working parents, and how unaccommodating employers can be.

Think myself and the other half might be happier just ourselves and a few dogs... save ourselves all the stress and pressure.

I still have no word at all from my employer about when I might be able to start back. I haven't worked since the 12th of March. I will need to find new accommodation before I move back up the country but I can't really look into rooms properly unless I know when I'll be moving in.

There is always a way, Kids are demanding enough up to the age of 5 or 6 after that than they wouldn't want to know you I have a couple of teenagers and a 3 year old. I love spending the day with her but you can't get anything done she don't understand, but it's great I am in early 50s and I really appreciate this time spent with them. My job is gone so will be spending a bit of time with the kids and I intend to enjoy it.

kerryjack wrote: »
    There is always a way, Kids are demanding enough up to the age of 5 or 6 after that than they wouldn't want to know you I have a couple of teenagers and a 3 year old. I love spending the day with her but you can't get anything done she don't understand, but it's great I am in early 50s and I really appreciate this time spent with them. My job is gone so will be spending a bit of time with the kids and I intend to enjoy it.

Sorry to hear the job is gone but otherwise I fully concur, I am loving this time spent with my kids. Yes its tough at times but overall it is time we are glad to have as we have never had the time before in our busy lives.

I am definitely targeting a better life-work balance when this is over, and I am determined that remote working is going to be a big part of it. Maybe it won't work out, we will see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭daveville30

How many are going back monday when its supposed to be outdoor and construction?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Avoid work if you're at-risk. WFH when possible. Wear a mask even if your manager doesn't like it. Protect yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

How many are going back monday when its supposed to be outdoor and construction?

Quite a few I would imagine. Repair places can open too so Opticians, Cobblers etc. Seen a fair few FB posts from places saying they are back open on Monday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭daveville30

Seems to me like alot are taking it on themselves to open when not deemed essential

Noticed a bike shop opened yesterday when I was out for a run. I need to get my bike repaired but I'm not giving them the business. I don't see why they are open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    This is a seismic societal change that we are only beginning to comprehend the effects of:
    All excellent points, and I don't think most people have really thought them through. We've basically jumped about 10-20 years into the future overnight as far as remote working is concerned.

Even the point you made about foreign employees thinking of moving home. What's going to happen all those landlords who are renting out places in Dublin if a large number move home? Or our plans to construct large numbers of buy-to-rent apartments.

Hopefully the Irish government is getting some of their brighter thinkers together to think about the implications as they are both exciting and scary. If you're applying for a job in Dublin, who cares whether you are located in Ireland, or Italy, or Moscow, or the Shetlands, just as long as you can be reasonably on the same timeline as the rest of your team? The same goes for Irish people - why not think about applying for a job in New York, or London, and remain living here?

The National Broadband plan sounded like a giant waste of money to me a few months ago. Now I think it's the most important infrastructural investment we can make, and needs to be accelerated.

hmmm wrote: »
    All excellent points, and I don't think most people have really thought them through. We've basically jumped about 10-20 years into the future overnight as far as remote working is concerned.

Even the point you made about foreign employees thinking of moving home. What's going to happen all those landlords who are renting out places in Dublin if a large number move home? Or our plans to construct large numbers of buy-to-rent apartments.

Hopefully the Irish government is getting some of their brighter thinkers together to think about the implications as they are both exciting and scary. If you're applying for a job in Dublin, who cares whether you are located in Ireland, or Italy, or Moscow, or the Shetlands, just as long as you can be reasonably on the same timeline as the rest of your team? The same goes for Irish people - why not think about applying for a job in New York, or London, and remain living here?

I mentioned this already too, the workplace previously of the "future" is developing today through necessity.
    We don't all need to be in one place, once you have decent broadband sure what more do you need?
    To be honest, I am thinking of maybe trying to work for a US Company and we are thinking my wife could start early and finish early, thus we might be able to avoid childcare costs. I don't know if it will work, maybe it won't, but all bets are off at the moment.

The men of 1916 died for all Irish people, including you!
    So did all the IRA fighters who fought the Brits 1919-1921.

And they’re hated for it by modern Irish people.

We are still sourcing and buying all our own PPE but it’s getting to the stage where if the company don’t start doing it then I’ll be at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 westguymayo

My employer has said that if anyone is out for Covid19 or has to isolate they won’t get a bonus this year. Which has meant lots of my contacts have uninstalled the tracing app and if anyone gets infected they are not telling their contacts.

Is this legal the employer can cut our bonus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

So you won't get a one for all voucher, boohoo. ;)

🙈🙉🙊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭king_of_mayo

Just don't get Covid then, what's the big deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Which has meant lots of my contacts have uninstalled the tracing app and if anyone gets infected they are not telling their contacts.

Seems like a good way to weed out the stupid people in your life.
    Is this legal the employer can cut our bonus?

Most contracts have payments like a bonus at the discretion of the employer. So in nearly all cases, yeah its perfectly legal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Has Mr Feglien made a comeback?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Sounds really stupid.

So your employer is encouraging those with symptoms to hide them?

Sounds like a wonderful way to have to shut down due to a cluster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 westguymayo

So you won't get a one for all voucher, boohoo. ;)

4000-6000 euros no small money

Advertisement