Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Workplaces and employer attitudes Megathread

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,194 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Still only limited people wearing masks in offices. This is complete madness. In one of the most dangerous circumstances for catching covid -indooors with the same people over a long period- and they are still not being mandated.

I have no doubt this will be rectified in coming months as this pandemic progresses, but the delay in implementation is going to contribute to the rising cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,360 ✭✭✭bladespin

Still only limited people wearing masks in offices. This is complete madness. In one of the most dangerous circumstances for catching covid -indooors with the same people over a long period- and they are still not being mandated.

I have no doubt this will be rectified in coming months as this pandemic progresses, but the delay in implementation is going to contribute to the rising cases.

That all depends on the office really, in mine there's no need what so ever but there's only 2 of us in there (it's pretty big) and even then I'm not there 90% of the time.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

How can you assess that there's absolutely no need whatsoever? Do you work in a seventeen foot office with a fold-back roof for ventilation and a vaccine being given to people in it?

Because if you're indoors with someone who has it and nobody is wearing masks then you atá highly likely to get infected and anything anyone else has told you to make you drop your guard is absolute rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

As per guidance

If I'm over 2m from people, I am not wearing a mask.

My employer is keeping us 2m apart. Nobody is wearing a mask in the office.

I also work on site, where not possible to distance I wear a mask.

I will wear one on public transport and in shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

As per guidance
    If I'm over 2m from people, I am not wearing a mask.
    My employer is keeping us 2m apart. Nobody is wearing a mask in the office.

If there is an aircon system on that's not doing a good job of filtering, it's possible for it to transfer the virus droplets further than 2m.
    There's a study of a restaurant in China that demonstrates that.
    People further than 2m away were infected as they were in the airflow of the aircon.
    Probably OK if it's a modern aircon system.
    https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/9/20-1749_article

Sneezes can expel droplets further than 2 metres... a screen guard around your desk would help with that.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

No aircon in our office. Open windows.
    Large building site office.

As above we are 2m apart.
    Nobody has a person beside them and nobody has a person in front of them
    We have screens.

Masks are obviously a major part of keeping this suppressed.
    But they are not comfortable.
    People expecting an office worker to wear one for an 8 hour day are expecting a lot.
    I will wear one when I have to, if I can maintain 2m distance I will not be wearing a mask.

As above am wearing in shops and buses as required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

No aircon in our office. Open windows.
    Large building site office.

Keep those windows open as much as you can - even when it starts to get chilly.
    I have to keep opening stairwell windows in apartment complex as otherwise would be stuffy.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Seems like a good way to weed out the stupid people in your life.

Most contracts have payments like a bonus at the discretion of the employer. So in nearly all cases, yeah its perfectly legal.

But the system used to award the bonus must be fair and equitable. An employee has a reasonable expectation that if they meet a certain criteria they will receive the bonus. If someone is excluded from the bonus for having certified leave due to Covid, they must also exclude all those who take sick leave for other reasons. It is not in the employers competence to judge what type of sick leave makes someone ineligible for a bonus, just the duration. They can get an independent medical assessment complete to determine if the sick leave requirement is reasonable, but are not going to find a reputable Doctor who will suggest that someone who has been confirmed with Covid, or as a close contact of someone with covid, is fit and available to attend work. It would be reasonable for the employer to expect someone isolating for covid reason, but not ill, to work from home if their role can be performed from home.

As per guidance

If I'm over 2m

from people, I am not wearing a mask.

My employer is keeping us 2M apart. Nobody is wearing a mask in the office.

Thats the problem, the current guidance is not up to date with the science. 2m inside is not safe. There is strong evidence the virus is airborne and hangs in the air. Indoor guidelines are being changed internationally and many are citing offices as unsafe environments.

Ireland have been slow to adapt to updated advice but we get there eventually. In the meantime it is up to us to keep ourselves and others safe while we work.

Once people are actually educated on the dangers of not wearing masks in offices, I believe most will realise how selfish and downright stupid it is not to wear one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

N
    People expecting an office worker to wear one for an 8 hour day are expecting a lot.
    I will wear one when I have to, if I can maintain 2m distance I will not be wearing a mask.
    If you have good ventilation the risk is perhaps moderated, but in my opinion masks should be worn indoors in an office. If workers on a production line can do it, an office worker can.

Even if you aren't doing it to protect others, there is emerging evidence that masks may help to reduce the viral load you are receiving - and the initial viral load seems to have a big impact on how badly Covid affects you.

If an office worker can't (or won't) wear a mask they should work from home. I'm not a mask person, I think they're a pain in the arse, but we are in the middle of a pandemic and have to adjust.

I have obeyed every covid rule there's been.
    I've followed all the guidance there's been.

When there's a rule for masks in offices I'll wear one.

I'd be a lot more concerned these days with the rule and guidance breakers.

hmmm wrote: »

If an office worker can't (or won't) wear a mask they should work from home. I'm not a mask person, I think they're a pain in the arse, but we are in the middle of a pandemic and have to adjust.

I'd actually question why so many seem to need to be in offices anyway.

We do. We're running a construction site. In the office and on site throughout the day. Maybe 5 or 6 moves.

Why do are our planners, QSs, client reps, QA team etc all in an adjoining office block too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Kamu

I'd actually question why so many seem to need to be in offices anyway.

We do. We're running a construction site. In the office and on site throughout the day. Maybe 5 or 6 moves.

Why do are our planners, QSs, client reps, QA team etc all in an adjoining office block too?

So they can be seen to clock in and clock out...

I have obeyed every covid rule there's been.
    I've followed all the guidance there's been.

When there's a rule for masks in offices I'll wear one.

I'd be a lot more concerned these days with the rule and guidance breakers.

Thats just a cop out. They are already recommended, just not mandated yet. Most people are wearing them in offices right now -protecting each other- but there is always a few that have to be forced to do the right thing.

If you dont wear one you're putting yourself and colleagues at risk.

Thats just a cop out. They are already recommended, just not mandated yet. Most people are wearing them in offices right now -protecting each other- but there is always a few that have to be forced to do the right thing.

If you dont wear one you're putting yourself and colleagues at risk.

No idea where you're getting your most.

I was in 2 offices today and walked through 2.
    Max 4 out of 50 wearing them

These offices are as per mine. 2m distance with screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭extremehalo

Hi,

Just wondering does anyone know are retailers ALDI/Dunnes etc. still paying the 10% extra to their staff considering the lock down is all put lifted?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,194 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Our employer just gave us one4all vouchers as we were essential workers and have worked through the crisis. I have heard other companies have done this too. Is this coming out of employers pocket or was their some grant or tax relief to allow them to do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

recyclebin wrote: »
    Our employer just gave us one4all vouchers as we were essential workers and have worked through the crisis. I have heard other companies have done this too. Is this coming out of employers pocket or was their some grant or tax relief to allow them to do it?

If they give you a bonus in your wages you will be taxed on it. You won't be taxed on the one for all vouchers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

recyclebin wrote: »

I had 3 weekdays off during the crisis. Worked every other day. Got nothing but kept my job. Nice of your boss to do that for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭recyclebin

pablo128 wrote: »
    If they give you a bonus in your wages you will be taxed on it. You won't be taxed on the one for all vouchers.

Yeah, I know you can get non cash gifts up to €500 tax free per year. One of my colleagues is convinced it was some government reward scheme and that our employer would never be that generous :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

I had 3 weekdays off during the crisis. Worked every other day. Got nothing but kept my job. Nice of your boss to do that for you

What do you work at?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 DesignerDublin

I don't think this is mandatory, and I think some solutions can be costly to implement. I'd be interested to know if employers are carrying out these checks or is it up to the individual?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

My (outside Ireland) employer has close to 250 people tested every 5 days at a cost of €250 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 DesignerDublin

Is that a covid test?

I'm looking into options for using wearable devices, e.g. smartwatches or temperature patches to pick up early changes that may signal an illness before major symptoms show, and if so then refer people for further testing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭OU812

We've just been told we're going to be working from Home until January at the earliest. We'll have one team operation lasting half a day, once a month so we can have some face2face with the other team members.

Not getting any financial support regarding WFH as we can "claim that from revenue"

They've also cancelled the Xmas party :|

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Due to go back to a large office soon, with no flexibility being offered on continuing to WFH. Our concerns are essentially being brushed aside.

I think it's insane tbh, this may speed up my new job search.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,441 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

OU812 wrote: »

Not getting any financial support regarding WFH as we can "claim that from revenue"
    still not sure how they are getting away with that under health and safety regulations, if home is your normal workplace they need to ensure that they have given you everything you need to do your job at home. asked my head of EMEA and he said people are paid well enough to buy there own.

ive just gone in to the office because i have to set up equipment for people but had no confirmation of my request to return by HR
    OU812 wrote: »

They've also cancelled the Xmas party :|

they'll try and tell you a zoom parties as good next :p:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Our office is open for 15% capacity. It's completely optional to go in, we're WFH first until January at the earliest.

I'll be honest, I won't be going into the office until masks are no longer mandatory on public transport. I was on an empty train last week, and wearing a mask for 25 minutes was torture.

Advertisement