Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Workplaces and employer attitudes Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Misguided1

odyssey06 wrote: »
    It is even the opposite. The employer has no right to know if an employee has an infectious notifiable disease.

Under the Safety, Health and Welfare at work Act, an employee has a duty to:

Take reasonable care to protect the health and safety of themselves and of other people in the workplace

Not engage in improper behaviour that will endanger themselves or others

Notify the employer or the employer‘s nominated registered practitioner if they become aware that they are suffering from any disease or physical or mental impairment which affects their performance of work activities that could give rise to risks to the safety, health and welfare of persons at work. The duty is on the employee to protect themselves and others.

I interpret this as meaning the employee must notify the employer if they are suffering from a disease that could give rise to risks to the safety/health of others at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/outbreak-at-care-home-after-worker-hid-her-virus-diagnosis-39482114.html

This is shocking. A care worker was identified as a close contact of a confirmed positive and she continued to attend to work. She received a test and didn't notify her employer and a resident and colleague were exposed and became positive.

Is there anything in law to protect people from careless colleagues like this?

There is certainly an argument for criminal charges under Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act, 1997.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/act/26/enacted/en/print#sec13

Under endangerment
    13.—(1) A person shall be guilty of an offence who intentionally or recklessly engages in conduct which creates a substantial risk of death or serious harm to another.

(2) A person guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable—

(a) on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding £1,500 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 12 months or to both, or

(b) on conviction on indictment, to a fine or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 7 years or to both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

I have to do a lot of travel for my job, mostly to the US. For the last couple of months this travelling hasn't been happening, but I've just been asked if I'd be willing to travel over again next month, and sign some sort of waiver. I said no because I've asthma and I moved back home when all this started, and I don't want to put my parents at risk. But just found out that others I work with have said yes to this, part of me feels they're being fairly negligent and part of me also feels like maybe I'm making too much of a fuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mallethead2

Why the waiver They must think there is a risk if they are asking you to sign one

• Registered Users Posts: 7,357 ✭✭✭bladespin

Mid summer my employer sent an email round all employees requesting they refrain from international travel for holidays (not a blanket ban but it was clear they would take a dim view if we did), just found out four of our techs in our UK branch will be travelling here for essential work, they won't be 'restricting etc' while here, I lol'd a little, I don't believe in the travel restriction nonsense but the double standard did throw me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

bladespin wrote: »
    Mid summer my employer sent an email round all employees requesting they refrain from international travel for holidays (not a blanket ban but it was clear they would take a dim view if we did), just found out four of our techs in our UK branch will be travelling here for essential work, they won't be 'restricting etc' while here, I lol'd a little, I don't believe in the travel restriction nonsense but the double standard did throw me.
    The exact same thing happens in my company we got a letter about no travelling abroad then we have "essential" contractors coming in from various places in Europe. I've been asked numerous times to work with these contractors but I've avoided it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 august2016

So I work in an office of a manufacturing company. It's not essential manufacturing but the owner is adamant that the company isn't shutting down even if we got to Level 5. This means all workers are expected to attend, even those of us that work in the office and could very easily work from home instead.

My question is, can they enforce this? Is there any way around it if you don't feel comfortable being in the office surrounded by others?

august2016 wrote: »
    So I work in an office of a manufacturing company. It's not essential manufacturing but the owner is adamant that the company isn't shutting down even if we got to Level 5. This means all workers are expected to attend, even those of us that work in the office and could very easily work from home instead.

My question is, can they enforce this? Is there any way around it if you don't feel comfortable being in the office surrounded by others?

It's government guidelines, not law. So yes, the company can enforce it. My advice: Start job hunting and if your job can be done at home, in your exit interview, tell them why you are leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 august2016

It's government guidelines, not law. So yes, the company can enforce it. My advice: Start job hunting and if your job can be done at home, in your exit interview, tell them why you are leaving.

Unfortunately I'm only in this job 3 months so would be a pity to have to leave so soon but might have to be considered if it's going to be a toss up between working or staying safe.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,488 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 12 xxjack189

Hi,

I was laid off for 3 months (March - June) during the inital lockdown.

I've just recently been told that I've lost 8 days annual leave for this period. I know annual leave doesn't accrue during this period but I'm unsure of how it's all calculated.

My annual leave entitlements are the minimum 20 days per year.

Does this sound correct?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Minimum 20 pro-rata if you work a full year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

cefh17 wrote: »
    Minimum 20 pro-rata if you work a full year

That calculation is wrong. You get 20 days per year. Missing 3 months means you have missed 1/4 of your annual leave which is 5 days.

Don’t forget your entitled to any bank holidays during the period of temp lay off so make sure your paid for those

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

xxjack189 wrote: »
    Hi,

I was laid off for 3 months (March - June) during the inital lockdown.

I've just recently been told that I've lost 8 days annual leave for this period. I know annual leave doesn't accrue during this period but I'm unsure of how it's all calculated.

My annual leave entitlements are the minimum 20 days per year.

Does this sound correct?

Thanks.

You didn’t expect to receive a full years worth of annual leave if you didn’t work a whole year, did you?

Sorry cefh, didn’t mean to quote your text

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

jrosen wrote: »
    That calculation is wrong. You get 20 days per year. Missing 3 months means you have missed 1/4 of your annual leave which is 5 days.

You're right.. didn't pay heed to the 8!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Nickla

it usually works out around 1.5 days per month plus your bank holidays so for 3 months thats 4.5 days plus 3 bank holidays, St patricks day, May day and Easter Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭arctictree

Nickla wrote: »
    it usually works out around 1.5 days per month plus your bank holidays so for 3 months thats 4.5 days plus 3 bank holidays, St patricks day, May day and Easter Monday

But the OP got their bank holidays off?

arctictree wrote: »
    But the OP got their bank holidays off?

While your on temp lay off your entitled to be paid for any bank hols that fall during that time. I believe there was 4 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

OP dosn’t say they were temporarily laid off - ‘just’ that they were laid off. If they were taken on again under a new contract after then they would not be eligable for b/h pay in the time they were not working.

In fact, I’m not sure they be due b/h pay while laid off even if scheduled to return in several months - laid off, not covid payment. .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

OP were you working part time at any point during the year? If not then 8 days sounds incorrect. Should be about 5. I would check with line manager and/or HR.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

An employee who is laid off because of covid is entitled to the bank holidays that fall in the first 13 weeks of the lay off.
    Ordinary holidays are not earned while on lay off.
    Why would someone get a new contract if they resumed working with the same employer?
    They were laid off not fired.
    Calculate your holiday loss by multiplying 0.38 by the number of weeks you were laid off.
    OP indicates it was Covid layoff

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,488 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

Degag wrote: »
    OP were you working part time at any point during the year? If not then 8 days sounds incorrect. Should be about 5. I would check with line manager and/or HR.

No, I was working full time up till March and full time since June up till now. I did think 8 sounded a bit much alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Beltby

No, I was working full time up till March and full time since June up till now. I did think 8 sounded a bit much alright.

Would they be taking into account a few days for Christmas too?

Beltby wrote: »
    Would they be taking into account a few days for Christmas too?

No. I confronted him today and eventually, he relented and admitted it was incorrect. So, I lost 4.5 days instead of 8.

Thanks for all the inputs!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Jaysus sounds like a rather unscrupulous boss!

No. I confronted him today and eventually, he relented and admitted it was incorrect. So, I lost 4.5 days instead of 8.

Thanks for all the inputs!

Dont forget the bank holidays. Depending on the dates you finished and started back. Maybe an extra 3/4 days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭MurDawg

Hi There

I work in the public sector. It has come to my attention that my employer is hosting a "Get together" which involves a number of people attending. (could be 20-30 people here)

My issue: they have asked for me to be involved in the planning and to be on site for this specific task. They have deemed this essential work. (Ive no idea how this can be considered essential)

I have begun isolation as I am going home for Christmas and my family member has an underlying condition - however my employer has asked me to come in knowing this.

Wondering what my options here are? I need to produce a solid case for myself as I cannot just refuse to come in.

Advertisement