Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Workplaces and employer attitudes Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I would think they cannot force you. Is there someone you can ask at work, like HR?
    Is the get-together for employees? There are restrictions now so I don't understand how they would try to pull that off.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,488 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Seems like the best place to ask, was laid off due to covid at the end of March, haven't been back in since.

I presume I'm entitled to any holiday pay accrued from Jan-March? Also I notice above that bank Holidays within the first 13 weeks are included, does that mean I should have gotten a % of my hours for the April and May Bank Holidays........

Any help (and preferably links) appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Seems like the best place to ask, was laid off due to covid at the end of March, haven't been back in since.

I presume I'm entitled to any holiday pay accrued from Jan-March? Also I notice above that bank Holidays within the first 13 weeks are included, does that mean I should have gotten a % of my hours for the April and May Bank Holidays........

Yes you are entitled to those exactly as if you had worked and then left the company. You asked for links.

Your entitlement to public holidays is set out in the Organisation of Working Time Act 1997. Most employees are entitled to paid leave on public holidays. One exception is part-time employees who have not worked for their employer at least 40 hours in total in the 5 weeks before the public holiday.

If you qualify for public holiday benefit you are entitled to one of the following:

A paid day off on the public holiday
    An additional day of annual leave
    An additional day's pay
    A paid day off within a month of the public holiday

Additionally in context:

Many people have questions about public holidays during the COVID-19 pandemic. During lay off or short-time working, you still are employed by your employer and your contract of employment remains in force. This means that you are entitled to benefit for any public holidays that occur during the first 13 weeks of lay off.

So yes - you are entitled also to the bank holidays in April / May. You weren't made redundant so your entitlements still stay the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Yes you are entitled to those exactly as if you had worked and then left the company. You asked for links.

Your entitlement to public holidays is set out in the Organisation of Working Time Act 1997. Most employees are entitled to paid leave on public holidays. One exception is part-time employees who have not worked for their employer at least 40 hours in total in the 5 weeks before the public holiday.

If you qualify for public holiday benefit you are entitled to one of the following:

A paid day off on the public holiday
    An additional day of annual leave
    An additional day's pay
    A paid day off within a month of the public holiday

Additionally in context:

Many people have questions about public holidays during the COVID-19 pandemic. During lay off or short-time working, you still are employed by your employer and your contract of employment remains in force. This means that you are entitled to benefit for any public holidays that occur during the first 13 weeks of lay off.

So yes - you are entitled also to the bank holidays in April / May. You weren't made redundant so your entitlements still stay the same.

Thank you sir, I'll email my manager in the morning....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭head82

hynesie08 wrote: »

I'm in pretty much the same situation as yourself.. accrued holidays from Jan - March, Bank holiday entitlements for those days that fell within the first 13 weeks of layoff.
    I'm assuming you're still in receipt of PUP. If so, any payment received from your employer could jeopardise your PUP entitlement. A suspension or possibly cancellation.

I had all intentions of claiming these holiday entitlements from my employer but have been put off doing so due to the consequences involved.

I don't have any official links to forward to you but there is some fairly solid anecdotal information on this page:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058064458&page=158

If you do manage to get some clarification regarding this, let me know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Does anyone know if you make a health and safety complaint against an employer, have they a way of finding out who made it?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭jaybee747

Does anyone know if you make a health and safety complaint against an employer, have they a way of finding out who made it?

If made to an official agency, I'm sure they can be made anonymously.
    However if you've complaint recently over a particular unsafe act and an unexpected inspector turns up and audits the company for that act. People can put 1 and 1 together.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i was discussing this with a friend on the phone earlier . take me for example im self emplyed in construction.everything i hear is about avoiding geting it and what to do if you think you have it but none that i have heard on the otherr side
    if i tested positive and got better . at what point are you ok to go back to work. is it your employers decision. is it after x no of negative tests, x amount of time etc. at what point can you go into someones house or onto a sites etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

i was discussing this with a friend on the phone earlier . take me for example im self emplyed in construction.everything i hear is about avoiding geting it and what to do if you think you have it but none that i have heard on the otherr side
    if i tested positive and got better . at what point are you ok to go back to work. is it your employers decision. is it after x no of negative tests, x amount of time etc. at what point can you go into someones house or onto a sites etc

After 14 days of isolation and being negative after test again would be safe bet. Employers decision to allow you back after this but wouldnt do so until you are negative and served your 14 days of isolation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Goodigal

If you test positive, you isolate for 10 days from date of first symptom or if asymptomatic, date of positive test. So once you complete 10 days of isolation (last 5 days fever free) you should be ok to return to work. Hope this answers your question.

After 14 days of isolation and being negative after test again would be safe bet.
    Close contacts need to restrict their movements for 14 days. Positives 10 days isolation. Don't test again because you will most likely test positive from the original virus. Unless past 12 weeks positive and you have new symptoms

Goodigal wrote: »
    Close contacts need to restrict their movements for 14 days. Positives 10 days isolation. Don't test again because you will most likely test positive from the original virus. Unless past 12 weeks positive and you have new symptoms

How are you automatically ok after 10 days if you have virus? Does not make sense to me. Also would you not test again after 10 days to make sure you are negative if you were positive in the first place ? Otherwise if you still had it you be infecting other people???

How are you automatically ok after 10 days if you have virus? Does not make sense to me. Also woudl you not test again after 10 days to make sure you are negative?
    That's the guidance at the moment. 10 days isolation and feeling well. You will almost definitely test positive again within a couple of weeks because the virus is still in your system. Hence why so many close contacts are getting it and being advised to restrict movements for 14 days in case it develops.

That's the guidance at the moment. 10 days isolation and feeling well. You will almost definitely test positive again within a couple of weeks because the virus is still in your system. Hence why so many close contacts are getting it and being advised to restrict movements for 14 days in case it develops.

Thats what i cant understand. if its im your system you could potentially pass it on to other people after 10 days. You think people who have it would have to isolate longer??

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,488 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

Thats what i cant understand. if its im your system you could potentially pass it on to other people after 10 days. You think people who have it would have to isolate longer??

I think its because the infectious period has passed (first ten days). So while it's still in your system, you won't pass it on.

Working in contact tracing currently. I find it strange that positive case has more freedom than a close contact in terms of days! But that's how it is.

Working in contact tracing currently. I find it strange that positive case has more freedom than a close contact in terms of days! But that's how it is.

I agree totally with you. I would be of the opinion that if someone has it they should be isolating for a period of time until its well out of their system.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

10 days for this and 14 for that is very vague and up in the air. how do you know when you got it or when you stopped fever.
    as self employed i could make up any company policy on it and go back after 4 days or 4 weeks. thats crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 25,979 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Employers decision to allow you back after this .

Eh?

Any employer i know says it's a doctors decision.

• Advertisement

10 days for this and 14 for that is very vague and up in the air. how do you know when you got it or when you stopped fever.
    as self employed i could make up any company policy on it and go back after 4 days or 4 weeks. thats crazy

I suppose it would depend on how sick the person was with it. The 10 days isolation starts on the day you first felt symptoms or date of positive test if you've no symptoms but were a close contact. And subsequently tested positive.
    Plenty of info on the HSE website. Just trying to answer your original question.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

I think its because the infectious period has passed (first ten days). So while it's still in your system, you won't pass it on.

Thats exactly it. Working in the hospital we have staff who were positive back to work while we still have patients who were close contacts to them kept in isolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paul64

I was in work during the week and said I wasn’t feeling well so I was sent home and told I couldn’t come back until I got a back to work cert from the doctors. I have no covid symptoms so is this a simple get a cert from doctors or will I need a full appointment as now they are not testing for covid

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Stephen93

I work for a small family run landscaping company where the employer is the only one with a truck licence.

He returned from England on January 2nd and intends to come back to work Jan 4th and told us to basically try or best to socially distance or else the company will be closed for 2 weeks while he isnt there. Any advice on what to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

paul64 wrote: »
    I was in work during the week and said I wasn’t feeling well so I was sent home and told I couldn’t come back until I got a back to work cert from the doctors. I have no covid symptoms so is this a simple get a cert from doctors or will I need a full appointment as now they are not testing for covid

Doctors were never testing for covid. Ring up the doctor and he will make a decision on if you come to see him or not. If he says you need to isolate he will give u a cert

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I don't want to give away too much details in case somebody figures out where I work.

Management are basically happy that their procedures are ignored so putting workers at an increased risk. What do I do here?

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

I don't want to give away too much details in case somebody figures out where I work.

Management are basically happy that their procedures are ignored so putting workers at an increased risk. What do I do here?

I’ve been down this road and have fought long and hard with management since wave 1 not only for my safety but for the safety of my colleagues and our clients
    I explained my (ongoing) concerns to management, for eg one concern was that colleagues were not socially distancing but when the staff saw the manager coming they would socially distance so it looked like they were- I was basically told by management that staff were adhering to guidelines because the manager saw them doing so with his own eyes despite me explaining to them the reason why he was seeing this; so in a roundabout way I was being accused of lying
    I explained that other certain procedures were not being followed as per our Covid policy by staff- again this was fobbed off
    Eventually I realised I was fighting a losing battle. I went to my dr and explained the situation to them in floods of tears and I am now signed off on sick leave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Well that's nice and all Maureen, but aren't you now breaking the law and putting your customers and staff at risk once you do this?

n81P7mg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Fair play to her.

I wouldn't be too worried about customers or staff being at risk, that are making a conscious decision to go there, so i would assume they are happy with the risk.

It's better than the rest of us having to sneak our barber into the house to get a haircut.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

FrStone wrote: »
    Fair play to her.

I wouldn't be too worried about customers or staff being at risk, that are making a conscious decision to go there, so i would assume they are happy with the risk.

It's better than the rest of us having to sneak our barber into the house to get a haircut.

They might be happy with the risk but what about the other people they encounter. No wonder schools can't open with stupid behaviour like that.

Advertisement