Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we better off getting it now and out of the way?

Options
  • 19-03-2020 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

As long as you’re under 55 with no major medical issues of course.

If we get it now it’s before the wheels fall off the HSE in a month in a system that wasn’t great to begin with. We’re 18 months away from a vaccine by which time I don’t even want to think about how high the numbers are.

Take the hit on it now and hope it builds immunity?

I’m not saying to go out of your way to get it of course. I just don’t think this is going away in a few months.

Comments

Is it proven that you are immune once you've had it?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭RiseAbove4

Is it proven that you are immune once you've had it?

Research on that seems hazy. It’s unknown if the people who did get it again had a relapse or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

RiseAbove4 wrote: »
    Research on that seems hazy. It’s unknown if the people who did get it again had a relapse or not.

People have had it twice.

People have had it twice.

Some reports saying they were relapses.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I suspect plenty of people have had it and didn't realise and just thought it was a particularly bad cold/flu tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

As long as you’re under 55 with no major medical issues of course.

If we get it now it’s before the wheels fall off the HSE in a month in a system that wasn’t great to begin with. We’re 18 months away from a vaccine by which time I don’t even want to think about how high the numbers are.

Take the hit on it now and hope it builds immunity?

I’m not saying to go out of your way to get it of course. I just don’t think this is going away in a few months.

Our current strategy is to suppress the virus and ensure that the vast majority never get it. The virus can do significant damage to your lungs, best avoid getting it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Stheno wrote: »
    I suspect plenty of people have had it and didn't realise and just thought it was a particularly bad cold/flu tbh

Very much doubt that as we would have been spreading it to the old and venerable.

The wave of deaths sweeping Europe is very recent.

Hopefully.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Very much doubt that as we would have been spreading it to the old and venerable.

The wave of deaths sweeping Europe is very recent.

14 day incubation, then illness. Could still be incubating in others tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Seems no worse than a mild flu?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    Our current strategy is to suppress the virus and ensure that the vast majority never get it. The virus can do significant damage to your lungs, best avoid getting it at all.

But sure they've said they expect at minimum 60% of the population to get it with even with current measures :confused:

The measures aren't to stop people every getting it just to funnel the numbers in the hope there will be as many being discharged from hospital as are coming in needing beds you do know that?

Have you had it yet? "Mild" means that you don't have to go to hospital. The actual experiance may be hell for a week and still be clasified as mild if you don't need hospital treatment.

I an fed up reading this crap nearly 3,000 dead in Italy already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

I was wondering the same a serious amount of people were getting it from October to January some still having the odd cough including myself and I shook it off before Xmas!

But as cinema said if it was that surely we'd have seen a curious spike in elderly deaths at the least

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

It’s a killer flu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Have you had it yet? "Mild" means that you don't have to go to hospital. The actual experiance may be hell for a week and still be clasified as mild if you don't need hospital treatment.

Yes i think i have had it.

But sure they've said they expect at minimum 60% of the population to get it with even with current measures :confused:

The measures aren't to stop people every getting it just to funnel the numbers in the hope there will be as many being discharged from hospital as are coming in needing beds you do know that?

Who said that???

The aim is to slow and stop the spread of disease, as has already been done in China. Wuhan did not come anywhere near 60% infection. It is possible to stop the spread of the disease through Social Distancing and good hand hygene.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,255 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The death rate says different

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Wouldn’t you think that manflu would automatically give you immunity to all of these me-too type viruses....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,172 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Your link has nothing to do with Cornavirus.

Maybe it has. Maybe he's been hard on the Corona today.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Long_Wave

Ok

It’s a killer flu

If you are old

Ciara Kelly earlier described her symptoms as a cross between an asthmatic attic and the flu

Not everyone who gets this gets particularly I'll

A town in Italy tested the entire town and had six positive tests out of 66 that were entirely asymptomatic- source guardian

It’s a killer flu

If you are old

Ciara Kelly earlier described her symptoms as a cross between an asthmatic attic and the flu

A town in Italy tested the entire town and had six positive tests out of 66 that were entirely asymptomatic- source guardian

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

NO can we close the thread now.

Who said that???

The aim is to slow and stop the spread of disease, as has already been done in China. Wuhan did not come anywhere near 60% infection. It is possible to stop the spread of the disease through Social Distancing and good hand hygene.

China is lying. China always lies.

Everything is dick measuring contest with America for them

If you are old

Not much help to the families of the 3,000 dead people now is it?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

If you are old

Plenty of young people have died from it.

Plenty of old people described their symptoms as being ****ing horrendous and they have been left with scarred lungs forever.

Plenty of people who get it get particularly ill.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If you are old

having had the flu, and having seen the effects on someone my age/demographic/fitness level, it can be alot worse than the flu. It could be alot better, in mny cases it will be but when its worse, it is so much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

OP, if you were to do this you would have to treat it as if you were carrying a loaded gun around.

You would HAVE to isolate 100% for that time, no getting out for a walk, nothing. Then you would have to have 2 negative tests taken with 24 hours in between to prove that you no longer had it. This is the protocol for quarantined people.

• Advertisement

China is lying. China always lies.

Everything is dick measuring contest with America for them

Is South Korea lying too?

Advertisement