Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we better off getting it now and out of the way?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I an fed up reading this crap nearly 3,000 dead in Italy already.

It's also said by someone who has probably never had a flu, mild or otherwise. Regular flu absolutely flattens you for 10-14 days and then there's weeks of just not being right again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Weepsie wrote: »
    It's also said by someone who has probably never had a flu, mild or otherwise. Regular flu absolutely flattens you for 10-14 days and then there's weeks of just not being right again.

I know I had a flu about two year ago I wished for death and I am not joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Weepsie wrote: »

I have never seen so many ridiculous comments as about this coronavirus. It's as if there's a DUMB virus going around and a lot of people have it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Plenty of young people have died from it.

Plenty of old people described their symptoms as being ****ing horrendous and they have been left with scarred lungs forever.

Plenty of people who get it get particularly ill.

Have you seen the Italian stats?

24 of their 3000 dead were under 50, average age 80 for those who died and 97% had preexisting in ng conditions.

And what of the German stats which have a very low death rate?

Or back to Italy a country of 60 million with 30000 confirmed cases so an infection rate currently 0.05% of the population?

Are people just looking for hysteria here?

Yes it's bad but screaming out the headlines is pointless

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I said to my wife 3 weeks ago, if we get it now then we would have the best facilities available to us if we needed it. Now its a lottery what is available depending on the infection rate and how many Irish need serious attention. Ireland would never able to build hospitals in a week like the Chinese.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Stheno wrote: »
    If you are old

Ciara Kelly earlier described her symptoms as a cross between an asthmatic attic and the flu

Not everyone who gets this gets particularly I'll

A town in Italy tested the entire town and had six positive tests out of 66 that were entirely asymptomatic- source guardian

Sorry just to be clear only 6 positives out of 66 and those entire 6 had no symptoms is it

24 of their 3000 dead were under 50, average age 80 for those who died and 97% had preexisting in ng conditions.

So?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

What point are you trying to make? Over 3,000 people are dead in Italy, another 500+ will die tomorrow.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Sorry just to be clear only 6 positives out of 66 and those entire 6 had no symptoms is it

No 6 of the 66 positive never developed any symptoms

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    What point are you trying to make? Over 3,000 people are dead in Italy, another 500+ will die tomorrow.

They are old so they don't matter to some apparently.:mad:

• Advertisement

So?

So we are not all going to get it, most who do wont end up in hospital so quit the hysterics, practice good hand hygiene and social distancing and you'll still be here when this is over

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Seems no worse than a mild flu?

Mild in medical terms does not mean it is a walk in the park. It just means you dont need hospital treatment as your life is not in danger, nothing else. I'm sure you have had awful illness at home and not felt you were life was in danger that youd need to go to A&E

They are old so they don't matter to some apparently.:mad:

That wasn't my point - no need to be a dick

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭PickYourName

Our current strategy is to suppress the virus and ensure that the vast majority never get it. The virus can do significant damage to your lungs, best avoid getting it at all.

Significant damage up to and including killing you even if you're not elderly, so yes, best avoid getting it OK.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Or back to Italy a country of 60 million with 30000 confirmed cases so an infection rate currently 0.05% of the population?

The average age is high as the younger the patient is the higher priority they are to save.

So we are not all going to get it, most who do wont end up in hospital so quit the hysterics, practice good hand hygiene and social distancing and you'll still be here when this is over

Guess what we are not all self centered if I die I won't be around to worry about.

The fact that the elderly seem to be baring the brunt of most of the deaths must be very scary for anybody in that age group and for those who care for them.

That wasn't my point - no need to be a dick

I am not being a dick.

I find the lack of concern for the elderly very cold.

None of us are getting any younger and there is only one alliterative to getting old.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Yes i think i have had it.

I very much doubt it. What were your symptoms?

Guess what we are not all self centered if I die I won't be around to worry about.

The fact that the elderly seem to be baring the brunt of most of the deaths must be very scary for anybody in that age group and for those who care for them.

I'm sure it is. It's why they need to self isolate

My mum and aunts are all on the over 70s group with comorbidities and all self isolating and being checked in on several times a day

I'm sure it is. It's why they nee DC to self isolat ed

My mum and aunts are all on the over 70s group with comorbidities and all self is ok latkng and being checked in on several times a day

That is good to hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

Hysterics? We are two weeks away from doctors in Irish hospitals having to perform battlefield triage, deciding who lives and who dies, because the number of cases requiring critical care will be too high to cope with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

I'm not "screaming out" anything. I think that the people who need to "relax" more are the people messing up discussions by making sweeping statements like you are there. I don't know whether it's meant to be convincing yourself or other people. It's like you're getting so defensive over nothing and trying to minimize things and claiming others are more afraid than they should be.

This illness certainly does attack the old more. I have really bad breathing problems often enough and I have long-standing asthma so I'm not sure about me. Still I'm not really concerned about myself dying though I have some concern about my lungs getting ****ed up forever (more than they already are).

Even if it was over 80s exclusively - are we not allowed to be worried about people over 80? Are we only allowed to worry about ourselves? Like what are you even talking about? It only attacks the elderly, so therefore we can't have "hysteria"?

As can be seen from the following graph, it attacks the over 80s more but by no means exclusively:

_111104222_death_ratio_v2640-nc.png

Remember also that younger people are being given priority in Italy before elderly people, who are sadly in some cases being left to die.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

krissovo wrote: »
    I said to my wife 3 weeks ago, if we get it now then we would have the best facilities available to us if we needed it. Now its a lottery what is available depending on the infection rate and how many Irish need serious attention. Ireland would never able to build hospitals in a week like the Chinese.

No other country would.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭lalababa

I had a dry cough and really bad sweats/freezing, I was in and out of bed - 1hr out 2hrs in-during the day, for over a week. Then a very gradual decrease in symptoms over the next two weeks. By the time I kicked it-around Jan 20th there were around 30 dead from it.
    This was in Ireland THIS YEAR! :confused: WTF did I have?

lalababa wrote: »
    I had a dry cough and really bad sweats/freezing, I was in and out of bed - 1hr out 2hrs in-during the day, for over a week. Then a very gradual decrease in symptoms over the next two weeks. By the time I kicked it-around Jan 20th there were around 30 dead from it.
    This was in Ireland THIS YEAR! :confused: WTF did I have?

Fin Rot?

Hysterics? We are two weeks away from doctors in Irish hospitals having to perform battlefield triage, deciding who lives and who dies, because the number of cases requiring critical care will be too high to cope with.

So do your part to prevent that?

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Seems no worse than a mild flu?

That kind of logic is a bit like upsetting the 'Ra in late 80's Belfast and their main man telling you 'It'll only be a flesh wound this time, so it will'.

Nah, I'd rather it wide berthed me.

So do your part to prevent that?

In a thread titled are we better off getting it now and out of the way?

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

I was wondering the same a serious amount of people were getting it from October to January some still having the odd cough including myself and I shook it off before Xmas!

But as cinema said if it was that surely we'd have seen a curious spike in elderly deaths at the least

I'm convinced I had it in October took a week off work couldn't breathe never did I get a flu like it up all night coughing. Even my boyfriend is convinced I had some weird type of strain of a virus. Went away for few days and came back took me ages to shake it. Steroids anti biotics. Nothing budged it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

No other country would.

Plenty of military field hospitals plus hundreds of qualified military doctors & nurses around Europe, Germany, UK, France and Netherlands have those resources. Italy Has even deployed field hospitals along with a new conversion in 10 days.

Advertisement