Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aer Lingus voucher

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭paddy19

Were the terms in the actual email or via a web link?

In fairness to Aer Lingus this is better than most of the crappy vouchers on offer from other airlines. These are the same conditions as the purchased gift vouchers which have to be in compliance with the Consumer Protection (Gift Vouchers) Act 2019.

The critical terms are no expiry date and ability to transfer. This allows you to sell the voucher, although you'd have to discount it to make it worth while for the buyer.

Still not as good as cash, you are giving Aer Lingus an interest free loan and you're locked in to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

paddy19 wrote: »
    Were the terms in the actual email or via a web link?

In fairness to Aer Lingus this is better than most of the crappy vouchers on offer from other airlines. These are the same conditions as the purchased gift vouchers which have to be in compliance with the Consumer Protection (Gift Vouchers) Act 2019.

The critical terms are no expiry date and ability to transfer. This allows you to sell the voucher, although you'd have to discount it to make it worth while for the buyer.

Still not as good as cash, you are giving Aer Lingus an interest free loan and you're locked in to them.

Does the voucher not have to be in the name of one of the people on the new booking. Cant sell it then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Does the voucher not have to be in the name of one of the people on the new booking. Cant sell it then.

You can technically [not trying to be smart], but it would be next to worthless given that condition being attached.

You can technically [not trying to be smart], but it would be next to worthless given that condition being attached.

Aer Lingus Gift vouchers allow a name change. Not sure about refund vouchers which could have different conditions. Always check and print terms and conditions can they can vary by web site location.

"Does the named recipient have to be the person using the gift voucher?
    Please use virtual cursor to read the content.

Additionally, gift vouchers are transferrable and this can also be done free of charge using the Change Name function in Manage my Voucher on aerlingusvouchers.com. First name, surname, e-mail address and delivery date can be changed; all other terms and conditions applicable to the originally issued voucher remain unchanged."

https://www.aerlingus.com/plan-and-book/plan/vouchers-information/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

I heard yesterday on Sky News that vouchers do not hold any value in case the company goes bust....a re-booked ticket or a pending refund is much better ! Best course of action is to raise a chargeback with your card issuing bank.

• Advertisement

I heard yesterday on Sky News that vouchers do not hold any value in case the company goes bust....a re-booked ticket or a pending refund is much better ! Best course of action is to raise a chargeback with your card issuing bank.

I had been thinking about this. The flight in question was for AMS in March for the 6N in Paris and my gf changed hers to BRU for the game in Oct. (Assuming it goes ahead.

I was thinking of just booking the flight with the voucher and dealing with it again come October. I'm in 2 minds. I also don't see EI going bust in all of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

I had been thinking about this. The flight in question was for AMS in March for the 6N in Paris and my gf changed hers to BRU for the game in Oct. (Assuming it goes ahead.

I was thinking of just booking the flight with the voucher and dealing with it again come October. I'm in 2 minds. I also don't see EI going bust in all of this.

Agree it wont go bust but then you get into vicious cycle of getting refund in gift voucher again and repeat ! Your rights for a booked flight changes as soon as you use a voucher to book it i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 jay1912

Hi

question - I was to fly next Monday
    tried logging into mytrips on aer lingus
    no sign of flight now there
    how do I check if it has been cancelled or not
    will they wait a couple days before the flight ?
    will try get re-fund
    tks

jay1912 wrote: »
    Hi

question - I was to fly next Monday
    tried logging into mytrips on aer lingus
    no sign of flight now there
    how do I check if it has been cancelled or not
    will they wait a couple days before the flight ?
    will try get re-fund
    tks

https://www.aerlingus.com/html/trip-mgmt.html

Stick your flight in there and see has it been going the last few days.

You can also check the Dublin airport site and the destination airport site to extrapolate what may happen. Also the likes of FlightRadar can help.

Also, there's folk on here who wok for EI so you could stick the flight number and date up here and they may be able to give you inside info.

---

My flight to Glasgow this forthcoming Friday was only cancelled last Thursday as an FYI

https://www.aerlingus.com/html/trip-mgmt.html

Stick your flight in there and see has it been going the last few days.

You can also check the Dublin airport site and the destination airport site to extrapolate what may happen. Also the likes of FlightRadar can help.

Also, there's folk on here who wok for EI so you could stick the flight number and date up here and they may be able to give you inside info.

My flight to Glasgow this forthcoming Friday was only cancelled last Thursday as an FYI

It's a game they play, they are not officially cancelling until as late as possible.

They are hoping you will rebook, cancel or accept a crappy voucher.

They are also probably trying to flatten the curve of refund requests.

Wait till you see the flight cancelled on the web site or get an email.

You have up to 6 years to claim your refund for a cancelled flight.

• Advertisement

It's a game they play, they are not officially cancelling until as late as possible.

They are hoping you will rebook, cancel or accept a crappy voucher.

They are also probably trying to flatten the curve of refund requests.

Wait till you see the flight cancelled on the web site or get an email.

You have up to 6 years to claim your refund for a cancelled flight.

Absolutely true. I was advising the guy above to give him an idea.

This is what I did with my GLA flight. I had been tempted to reschedule it a few times as it went down to the wire but looking at the stats leading up to it led me to accept it was DEFINITELY getting cancelled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

One thing I don't like is, being lied to, or treated like a halfwit.

I am checking flights to Paris, and everyday in April is "sold out".
    Really, I thought nobody is travelling.

This is really interesting:

On the Aer Lingus check flight status page ( only shows 3 dates) I cannot find any cancelled flights.

https://www.aerlingus.com/html/trip-mgmt.html#?select=3

It shows working flights for LHR but no cancelled flights.

But for other busy cities I'm getting:

"No matching flight information results found."

I never want to assume malevolence when sheer incompetence will do but this is very strange.

Ryanair is fairness give you the list of operating and cancelled flights and a choice of Change flight and Refund button.

https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/travel-updates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Dodge wrote: »
    We have a refund due from BA since March 16th. When we queried it recently they said that as refunds protested in India and they were on a complete lockdown, there would be further delays

Quick update on this. They emailed a voucher tonight

We’ll be pushing for the agreed card refund

That's interesting Dodge,did you request a voucher from BA or did they just email it to you?

That's interesting Dodge,did you request a voucher from BA or did they just email it to you?

Just emailed it. They had originally agreed to a refund. We’ve replied to say we want the refund as promised

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Has anyone received a Refund from Aer Lingus ? Not Voucher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Rang Aer Lingus this morning about my refund claim that was placed on the 16th March, they told me they issued the refund on the 13th April (Easter Monday) and to allow 5-7 days for it to appear back on my credit card. I won't say I got refunded until the money is on my credit card however but at least another step forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Waiting since 25th March.
    No word yet.

Also waiting for a refund of €700 from UEFA who said they'd be refunding this month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

This is really interesting:

On the Aer Lingus check flight status page ( only shows 3 dates) I cannot find any cancelled flights.

https://www.aerlingus.com/html/trip-mgmt.html#?select=3

It shows working flights for LHR but no cancelled flights.

But for other busy cities I'm getting:

"No matching flight information results found."

I never want to assume malevolence when sheer incompetence will do but this is very strange.

Ryanair is fairness give you the list of operating and cancelled flights and a choice of Change flight and Refund button.

https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/travel-updates

Aer Lingus's backend systems don't seem to connect up properly at all. I'm always finding inconsistencies between pages.

• Advertisement

I'm still waiting on a refund for my Glasgow flight. Though that claim is only a week old.

blade1 wrote: »
    Waiting since 25th March.
    No word yet.

Also waiting for a refund of €700 from UEFA who said they'd be refunding this month.

I'm so glad I let my tickets go back after the first ballot.

Going to the RWC meant I couldn't really have both at time. Phew.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭woodyman

I posted in another thread too but thought people here should know also.

Aer Lingus are issuing refunds where they cancelled the flight but they are very very slow.

My return flight from Spain was cancelled and no alternative flight offered so I chose not to travel out and requested a refund for the full trip on 15 March. The refund hit my account today (31 days later) and I received no correspondence at any point.

I had begun the chargeback process a few days ago but I was able to stop it today. Without a doubt the communication could be better and save the airline time and money but the refunds do seem to be coming eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Rang Aer Lingus this morning about my refund claim that was placed on the 16th March, they told me they issued the refund on the 13th April (Easter Monday) and to allow 5-7 days for it to appear back on my credit card. I won't say I got refunded until the money is on my credit card however but at least another step forward.

Refund has just shown up on my card now :)

Stark wrote: »
    Aer Lingus's backend systems don't seem to connect up properly at all. I'm always finding inconsistencies between pages.

This is not inconsistencies in systems, some bright spark in Aer Lingus decided to label the cancelled flights as "Sold Out" and thought they were cute.

It wasn't even original, they lifted it from Easyjet.

The effect is you can't apply for a refund until after the flight date.

How does the regulator allow this sort of sharp practice?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 S4albarn

I received a full refund today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭xlogo

S4albarn wrote:

How long did it take?

xlogo wrote: »
    How long did it take?

I'm pretty sure I phoned and messaged them on twitter unsuccessfully on the 18th or 19th of March. I replied to that voucher email on the 20th so that's probably what did the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

Good to hear refunds are now being paid. I received a cancellation email on 17th March for a flight 29th March. I applied for the refund straightaway and i have a case number. Hopefully my refund is on it's way.

I'm concerned about my flight to UK this morning which was cancelled but I wasn't notified ( I checked junk mail). Instead they moved me on to a flight to a different airport . I only discovered this a few days ago when I logged on the website. I have requested a refund and I have a case number so hoping it gets refunded.

• Advertisement

S4albarn wrote: »
    S4albarn wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I phoned and messaged them on twitter unsuccessfully on the 18th or 19th of March. I replied to that voucher email on the 20th so that's probably what did the trick.

Did you get a cash refund or voucher refund?

Did you get a cash refund or voucher refund?

I received a cash refund.

Deadly news!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭PEACEBROTHER

I'm confused

Aer Lingus

have flights booked to Spain 31st May - 6th June

What are my options ? Will i get cash refund ?
    I booked flights for group on my card so if i get voucher can it be used separately ?

No problem waiting a while for refunds. However, they should be notifying passengers well ahead of time if flight is cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭riddles

I'm confused

Aer Lingus

have flights booked to Spain 31st May - 6th June

What are my options ? Will i get cash refund ?
    I booked flights for group on my card so if i get voucher can it be used separately ?

I wish the Government would make a statement on non critical foreign travel up to September 1st at least. Strange how we are on 80% lock down here and yet you can still book flights abroad for June. I head scratching how they could say pubs and large outdoor gatherings unlikely for the rest of the year and will not clarify the travel topic. It was after all travel that caused the majority of the situation here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

An update to my experience...
    AL refunded my Taxes & Charges (approx. 2.5 weeks ago). This left a balance of approx. €100 to be refunded.

I contacted Aer Lingus 2 weeks ago (by phone, in fairness got through straight away) asking why I did not receive full refund. They explained I am due a refund of the remaining balance (no sh1t) but it would take 'some time' (they could not give me a date).

2 weeks later, no refund of balance owed. Called them again today (again, in fairness, got through right away). Said the balance would be refunded within 3 - 5 working days. I made a note that if no refund received within 7 working days from today, I would submit a claim to Small Claims Court. She told me that she has made note of this on my case reference.

Let's see what happens....

On a side note, submitted a Chargeback to BOI on April 6 for a separate flight (Vueling). No word from them yet, but with the bank holiday etc. it's only been 9 days since I posted the form... i'll give them another week and if no joy, will try and get in touch via phone for an update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Received a "thank you for your voucher request" mail on 23rd March. That's 4 weeks back from today. Anybody else waiting this long for the voucher?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭tnegun

Still waiting for a refund here, my flights have never showed anywhere as cancelled though but never left. I submitted the refund request and got an email to say they received it but nothing else the the flights still show in my upcoming trips too despite the dates having past so have no idea whats going on in Aer Lingus . I paid for part with some avios points has anyone had these returned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭thebiglad

tnegun wrote: »
    Still waiting for a refund here, my flights have never showed anywhere as cancelled though but never left. I submitted the refund request and got an email to say they received it but nothing else the the flights still show in my upcoming trips too despite the dates having past so have no idea whats going on in Aer Lingus . I paid for part with some avios points has anyone had these returned?

When part paying points doesn't EI effectively sell you the required points to book as Avios - so in reality its an Avios booking?

Not sure whether Avios or EI owe you a refund in this position.

I have an Avios booked flight on 1 June and contacted Avios trying to cancel it in advance of EI announcing whether it will fly or not (its a return leg and I booked the outbound direct with EI (voucher application is in) so I don't need it.

Contacted Avios who advised me that when/if EI cancel the flight or allow free change I should contact them and they will refund the points - prior to that I can cancel at standard change fee of €42 per person and get the points back.

Think you'd be better off speaking to Avios than waiting on EI to respond - they have online chat and I always find them very good - you'll at least be clear almost immediately whether its necessary to wait for EI or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭chickenlittle

I’m still waiting for a refund as well. Got confirmation email on 19 March and heard nothing since. I rang today and got through straight away and I was told to wait, that it could be another while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Received a "thank you for your voucher request" mail on 23rd March. That's 4 weeks back from today. Anybody else waiting this long for the voucher?

Yep. Got same email on March 20th. No voucher yet. My flight wasn't supposed due to happen until next week though so maybe they are only dealing with vouchers for flights as a when they were due to fly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

I got the voucher email on March 16th, flight was 3rd April which was cancelled week before. Haven't heard anything from them since.

thebiglad wrote: »
    When part paying points doesn't EI effectively sell you the required points to book as Avios - so in reality its an Avios booking?

Not sure whether Avios or EI owe you a refund in this position.

I have an Avios booked flight on 1 June and contacted Avios trying to cancel it in advance of EI announcing whether it will fly or not (its a return leg and I booked the outbound direct with EI (voucher application is in) so I don't need it.

Contacted Avios who advised me that when/if EI cancel the flight or allow free change I should contact them and they will refund the points - prior to that I can cancel at standard change fee of €42 per person and get the points back.

Think you'd be better off speaking to Avios than waiting on EI to respond - they have online chat and I always find them very good - you'll at least be clear almost immediately whether its necessary to wait for EI or not.

I'm not sure I was paying via the Aer Lingus site and I think it offered to redeem some avios against it so chose that, will try the avios chat tomorrow looks like they're offline now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

.G. wrote: »
    Yep. Got same email on March 20th. No voucher yet. My flight wasn't supposed due to happen until next week though so maybe they are only dealing with vouchers for flights as a when they were due to fly.
    I got the voucher email on March 16th, flight was 3rd April which was cancelled week before. Haven't heard anything from them since.

I requested vouchers on 27th March for flight to USA on 28th March. Not a rod since.

I requested a refund on 3rd April for a booking departing on 19th April, where the return leg was cancelled, and got a reference number, but nothing else since.

Another update. Yesterday (after a couple of twitter DMs over about 5/6 days, they agreed to refund our card. Will update the thread when the BA payment is reversed...

I specifically didn't call Aer Lingus as they asked you not to. My flights were on the 13th and 20th, I got no cancellation email but submitted the refund request on the 13th. I got an automated response immediately, no updates after a week so I replied to the response, this responded to say it had opened a new case for me but the IDs were the same. Called today and spent 30mins holding, it was very difficult to understand the agent and ultimately we were disconnected (deliberately I suspect) . I think they were trying to explain my refund ended up with the wrong team and they would send it to the correct team they told me to watch my bank account and not expect any communication from Aer Lingus! I was trying to explain that I thought that was crazy could they not just email updates rather than force people to phone in when we got disconnected.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

I haven't received any email regarding my Shannon to LHR flight tomorrow. It won't even let me manage my booking. I can see Cork to LHR next to the book aswell as Shannon, maybe they changed it to cork!! Its crazy what they are doing. Are they just hoping people forget about the cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Limpy wrote: »
    I haven't received any email regarding my Shannon to LHR flight tomorrow. It won't even let me manage my booking. I can see Cork to LHR next to the book aswell as Shannon, maybe they changed it to cork!! Its crazy what they are doing. Are they just hoping people forget about the cash.

You wouldn't be able to manage your booking as the flight would be under airport control by now.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

You wouldn't be able to manage your booking as the flight would be under airport control by now.

Surely they would email me if there was an Airport change. Is this standard Aer Lingus Policy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Limpy wrote: »
    Surely they would email me if there was an Airport change. Is this standard Aer Lingus Policy?

looks like there is a ORK to LHR at 4pm tomorrow but nothing from SNN.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement