Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Symptoms of the 80% group - mild to none

Options
  • 19-03-2020 2:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

Hi there can anyone discuses the mild symptoms and how they were effected.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

"Mild" in the context of coronavirus means "anything not severe enough to require hospitalisation". That covers a wide range from having no discernible symptom at one end to being extremely sick at the other. You'll be hospitalised if you require ventiliation - i.e. you cannot breath unaided - or if you require IV antibiotics, or something of that kind. Otherwise your symptoms are "mild" and you stay at home and receive treatment - usually pharmaceutical - there. The worse end of "mild" will include prolonged or relapsing high fever, severe cough, fatigue/weakness, headaches, joint pains, possibly other symptoms, or an exacerbation of any other condition you may already have. If you are this ill, then even after you recover you can expect a signficant period of convalescence where you feel signifcantly below par - fatigue, weakness, can't work, still need lots of bedrest.

We have relatively little information as to the "spread" of mild symptoms - how many of the 80% are sick as just described, how many have a few bad days but then feel better, how many have symptoms that are really mild, in the sense that they feel well enough to go out and frustated that they can't? Because people at home are not getting the kind of constant nursing attention and monitoring that they get in hospital, all we get is anecdotal evidence about how this person or that person got on, but no reliable big-picture overview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

An account of experiences by someone who wasn't admitted to hospital:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/29/to-hell-and-back-my-three-weeks-suffering-from-coronavirus

I've heard that you can be constantly short of breath to the extent that it prevents you from sleeping.

But it's a spectrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭plodder

https://www.newstalk.com/news/ciara-kelly-covid-19-984673

Newstalk's Ciara Kelly describes it as like a bad seasonal flu, though she seems to be able to work. Not clear if the symptoms have improved, because I didn't think you'd be able to work if you had the flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

plodder wrote: »

Newstalk's Ciara Kelly describes it as like a bad seasonal flu, though she seems to be able to work. Not clear if the symptoms have improved, because I didn't think you'd be able to work if you had the flu.

And in fairness to her, she looked the picture of health speaking to Miriam O Callaghan by Skype last night.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭magic17

I'd be interested to know this too. I'm waiting to get tested based on a close contact who is awaiting test results who was told by their GP they are highly likely to have it based on their symptoms. But of course, nothing is confirmed and it could be something else going around.

Since last Saturday I had a higher temperature than normal on two consecutive days. Light headed when standing up a few times on those days. What I would describe usually as a sore throat but definitely feels more in the upper part of the lungs. A noticeable 'tickle' in my throat/lungs when breathing in and out, it's not sore but uncomfortable. A dry cough sometimes but not consistent at all.

Could be anything obviously but if this is it then it's easy to see why this is spreading so easily. Under normal circumstances this would not stop me from working etc. And yes I have been self isolating since Saturday just incase while I wait to get tested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

I've gone to work shlteloads of times with seasonal flu, but tbf I can't afford to take days off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭plodder

Tom Hanks
    “Hey folks. Good news: One week after testing positive, in self-isolation, the symptoms are much the same. No fever but the blahs. Folding the laundry and doing the dishes leads to a nap on the couch. Bad news: my wife has won 6 straight hands of Gin Rummy and now leads by 201 points,” he posted on social media Tuesday evening.
    I've gone to work shlteloads of times with seasonal flu, but tbf I can't afford to take days off.
    Could be a definition thing about meaning of "the flu". I've got 24hr-48hr bugs that are flu like and I could possibly have gone to work. But, I've only had THE flu a couple of times and I wasn't physically able to get out of bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

I noticed some slight lung discomfort that was only sudden and momentarily lived. But I got that feeling 8- 10 times over the past 6days. I rang people I was in contact with and two of them stated that they both felt these feeling on the same scale. One developed a slight wheeze on one evening.
    I too had a slight wheeze one night.

All very slight and very low chance but the fact that we all had it just 4-5 days after the initial contact. No fever or headache

I don't think it is COVID 19 but it could be..
    We are all 45-50yr

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Could be a definition thing about meaning of "the flu". I've got 24hr-48hr bugs that are flu like and I could possibly have gone to work. But, I've only had THE flu a couple of times and I wasn't physically able to get out of bed.
    30% of people with an influenza infection show few to no symptoms at all.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

E

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Posted this yesterday on the main thread yesterday.

I'm classified as a potential case by my doctor.

Some symptoms for two weeks but today quite breathless and sore chest. Could be unrelated chest infection or could be Covid.

Good news is that if it is Covid I am probably not shedding the virus as it has been two weeks. Been told to self isolate for another week as a precaution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

My symptoms were/are cough that started in the chest, sore throat for 2/3 days, headache for maybe one day, slightly off food for a day or two. No temperature, little bit tired but nothing out of the ordinary. Was slightly out of breath for last few days and worse since yesterday. Sore chest when breathing now.

Had some symptoms that are not typical but from my understanding symptoms can vary. Some atypical ones are a producing cough which I had straight away and I had no temperature. I believe a lot of people can have a producing cough with it. Still a good chance it is a non covid infection but Covid could not be ruled out by the doctor

I don't have a fever or a cough - the symptoms the HSE say you should have if looking for a test.

I do have slight headaches and a scratchy throat, at times a slightly sore chest.

I would be reluctant to ask for a test as I don't think I'll get one, seeing how busy they are, but I wouldn't be shocked if I was told I had an asymptomatic case. This could well be a bit of low level paranoia.

I am working from home and practically self isolating with my partner anyway.

I can't be the only person in this situation.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

This could well be a bit of low level paranoia.
    I suspect the levels of psychosomatic "symptoms" will be going up alright. Tightness in chest, a feeling of not being able to catch a breath, headache, dizziness, even coughs can be symptoms of anxiety.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

E

Yea a few of them might help pass the time but I find some people get very "huggy" after one or two, might be counter productive.

Yea a few of them might help pass the time but I find some people get very "huggy" after one or two, might be counter productive.

Then it has to be gin.
    Everyone turns into a prick when drinking gin and that's before the hangover.
    Both help with the social distancing

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I had H2N5 a couple of years back. I thought I had been sick before. I hadnt been sick before.

3 days of not being able to do jack and feeling like I had been hit by a truck. Even the dog lay beside me and growled at anyone coming near (awww).

I'd like to make a point about Ciara Kelly. She said yesterday that she is never sick, so when she felt unwell at this time, she decided to get tested and it was positive.

I am sick quite regularly. I've been at home for the past 7 days aside from one brief trip to the shop on Saturday. If I woke up with a fever this morning it wouldn't occur to me go get tested, I'd just assume it was one of my usual episodes.

If she is never sick, then being sick must feel pretty bad. I'm kind of used to it.

I work in IT Security and sometimes events and situations are critical and I have to work through it. I only call in sick, generally speaking, when work is quiet. I remember years ago I was patching systems owned by the DoD against the Shellshock vulnerability with a killer migraine, where squinting at a Linux terminal was unpleasant, but I got on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,705 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The changes and differences in symptoms is confusing

I thought high fever temperature and breath shortness were two main symptoms now lost of smell and taste being talked about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

It seems that loss of smell and taste are some of the first symptoms in about 60% of cases

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Zxthinger wrote: »
    It seems that loss of smell and taste are some of the first symptoms in about 60% of cases

I think that true of normal colds and flu. I know people who get this.

Advertisement