Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannot Self Isolate in Houseshare

Options
  • 19-03-2020 4:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi All,

I will be coming from a trip abroad and as a result of this, I will have to self isolate. Unfortunately, I am not being permitted to self isolated in the house share I'm living in (which is understandable). So I will technically be homeless. Does anyone have any ideas on who I can speak with or where I can ask for help for temporary housing for the 14 days or what I can do?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Afurosan wrote: »
    Hi All,

I will be coming from a trip abroad and as a result of this, I will have to self isolate. Unfortunately, I am not being permitted to self isolated in the house share I'm living in (which is understandable). So I will technically be homeless. Does anyone have any ideas on who I can speak with or where I can ask for help for temporary housing for the 14 days or what I can do?

Thanks in advance :)

Good one . First I'd say ... nice try. If your serious and not out to scam. Call the HSE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Yes you can do this.... lots of people are doing this. There are instructions on the HSE website about what to do if you live in a house share and have to self isolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Afurosan

Wesser wrote: »
    Yes you can do this.... lots of people are doing this. There are instructions on the HSE website about what to do if you live in a house share and have to self isolate.

Thanks - I've checked the HSE website and contacted them and they've said there's no reason I shouldn't be able to self-isolate but there's nothing I can do if my housemates won't allow me back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,940 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Book somewhere thru airbnb. Should be lots available. Find a friend to bring you food.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tomister

Thanks - I've checked the HSE website and contacted them and they've said there's no reason I shouldn't be able to self-isolate but there's nothing I can do if my housemates won't allow me back in.

But you live there... they can't just kick you out for the 14 days. I get they might be concerned but as others have said you can self isolate in a house share so they've no come back to preventing you from entering the property

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

The HSE has guidelines on self-isolating.

Scroll down on that webpage to the section entitled If you live with other people and you are self-isolating.

tomister wrote: »
    But you live there... they can't just kick you out for the 14 days. I get they might be concerned but as others have said you can self isolate in a house share so they've no come back to preventing you from entering the property

Maybe legally they cannot. But the law is an ass, and applied lightly in times of crisis. (Hint: what existing law is forcing the pubs to be closed.)

A pragmatic housemate would find an alternative place to hang out for two weeks, and preserve his/her on-going accommodation options and relationships..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭893bet

They can’t force you but the sensible option is to isolate yourself else where.

They shouldn’t have to force you and I applaud you for taking personal responsibility for other people health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

Last fridays late late show showed how to self isolate living with others.

Stay mostly in your room / outside
    Use the bathroom and kitchen last and clean thoroughly after
    Don't share towels, cutlery etc

Watch it back on the player

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Maybe legally they cannot. But the law is an ass, and applied lightly in times of crisis. (Hint: what existing law is forcing the pubs to be closed.)

The "you might have trouble renewing your license law" wink wink.

• Advertisement

Hi All,

Thank you so much for your contribution. I've finally found a place. It's hard having to think about not having a place to stay in this crisis BUT I respect their point of views. I wouldn't have done the same thing to them but I am just happy not to put others at risk.

Stay safe everyone! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Hi All,

Thank you so much for your contribution. I've finally found a place. It's hard having to think about not having a place to stay in this crisis BUT I respect their point of views. I wouldn't have done the same thing to them but I am just happy not to put others at risk.

Stay safe everyone! :)

Seeing as your housemasters would not let you back into the house I assume they will either cover the cost of your rent while you have to rent elsewhere?

FFVII wrote: »
    The "you might have trouble renewing your license law" wink wink.

Exactly.

frag420 wrote: »
    Seeing as your housemasters would not let you back into the house I assume they will either cover the cost of your rent while you have to rent elsewhere?

Yes, that's correct. I've been told I don't have to pay for the 2 weeks.

frag420 wrote: »

Yes, that's correct. I've been told I don't have to pay for the 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,518 ✭✭✭✭ted1

A pragmatic housemate would find an alternative place to hang out for two weeks, and preserve his/her on-going accommodation options and relationships..
    Depends if he is a tenant or licencee

Advertisement