Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Running, Corona Virus and Social Distancing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

The regulars will love this. Amanda Brunker was on Mary Wilsons Rte Drivetime show giving out about Runners.

Catch it on Rte player if you missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

The regulars will love this. Amanda Brunner was on Mary Wilsons Rte Drivetime show giving out about Runners.

Catch it on Rte player if you missed it.

She's on twitter, a backlash is needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

She's on twitter, a backlash is needed.

Conor Pope was raging with her,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,043 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Is it on the player? couldn't find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Its not a mystery as to where all these new runners are coming from. There are over 500,000 gym members in Ireland.
    People who want to keep healthy and exercise.
    All gyms are closed, cycling is pointless due to restrictions and it is very difficult to get home gym equipment as everyone is looking for it! Running appears to be the answer for lots of them.

Stark wrote: »
    Is it on the player? couldn't find it.

It might not be up yet. You might have to wait till tomorrow and then go google Rte Radio drivetime and click on the Podcasts link under the main link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I did a few timing experiments with park runs. The nearest place within the 2km limit is a park so that's what I'm limited to, that and the footpaths are pointless as they're not wide enough to accommodate the 2 metre social distancing principle (and families/walkers seldom observe it at all anyway, meaning I have to go out on the road, looking behind me while dumbo 1 or dumbo 2 stare at me like I'm an alien, even though they're taking up the entire footpath!).

In any case it can be fairly busy. The best advice I can give is to look far, far ahead, I run on the open fields, so I can get a good view. If I see dogs anywhere I change route. My main fear is dogs, I hate dogs not on leads or more accurately I utterly hate the owners when their dogs run up to me. Since dogs may be carriers this is even more egregious. Happy families clearly are major problem, they spread out and take up entire paths, it's bizarre to see. Cyclists are equally bad and seem to be like iron filings to magnets, they just have to cycle up on top of you. I run in perpendicular directions to rapidly increase distance between me and the offending agent.

There is a lot of stop/starting, particularly around choke points where you're forced to use the path. Again, I find if the great unwashed actually used their fcking brains for once, everyone could enjoy the park. Example: I am rigorously practicing social distancing out of self preservation and civic responsibility. Therefore I benefit other people as they would me if they would practice it themselves but the majority don't! When I do see people observing it, I give a small nod of acknowledgement and appreciation and it's good to see people moving aside for others (when it sometimes happens). This is what we should be doing. However, there are so many ****ing jackasses that don't, talking in groups, refusing to give space and generally wandering around in their own little worlds and therein lies the rub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

It might not be up yet. You might have to wait till tomorrow and then go google Rte Radio drivetime and click on the Podcasts link under the main link.

No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Do you really think that anybody cares what Amanda Brunker thinks?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

skyblue46 wrote: »

Her liposuction must have sucked her brain out and was replaced with botox

• Advertisement

I did a few timing experiments with park runs. The nearest place within the 2km limit is a park so that's what I'm limited to, that and the footpaths are pointless as they're not wide enough to accommodate the 2 metre social distancing principle (and families/walkers seldom observe it at all anyway, meaning I have to go out on the road, looking behind me while dumbo 1 or dumbo 2 stare at me like I'm an alien, even though they're taking up the entire footpath!).

In any case it can be fairly busy. The best advice I can give is to look far, far ahead, I run on the open fields, so I can get a good view. If I see dogs anywhere I change route. My main fear is dogs, I hate dogs not on leads or more accurately I utterly hate the owners when their dogs run up to me. Since dogs may be carriers this is even more egregious. Happy families clearly are major problem, they spread out and take up entire paths, it's bizarre to see. Cyclists are equally bad and seem to be like iron filings to magnets, they just have to cycle up on top of you. I run in perpendicular directions to rapidly increase distance between me and the offending agent.

There is a lot of stop/starting, particularly around choke points where you're forced to use the path. Again, I find if the great unwashed actually used their fcking brains for once, everyone could enjoy the park. Example: I am rigorously practicing social distancing out of self preservation and civic responsibility. Therefore I benefit other people as they would me if they would practice it themselves but the majority don't! When I do see people observing it, I give a small nod of acknowledgement and appreciation and it's good to see people moving aside for others (when it sometimes happens). This is what we should be doing. However, there are so many ****ing jackasses that don't, talking in groups, refusing to give space and generally wandering around in their own little worlds and therein lies the rub.

I live right between two decent sized parks. Also a fairly quiet large residential area so I can run on roads mostly. ..I ducked into both parks today. One was busy so I left after one lap and went to the other. Was maybe 20 ppl there. Two lads doing sprints up and down a pitch, they were either side of a set of goalposts, nobody else near them. Only 16 or 17 but they looked like brothers.

Others on the paths were great. Dogs on long leads were reeled in etc.

skyblue46 wrote: »

No, I thought some would be amused.She said she had two lovely Whippets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    I live right between two decent sized parks. Also a fairly quiet large residential area so I can run on roads mostly. ..I ducked into both parks today. One was busy so I left after one lap and went to the other. Was maybe 20 ppl there. Two lads doing sprints up and down a pitch, they were either side of a set of goalposts, nobody else near them. Only 16 or 17 but they looked like brothers.

Others on the paths were great. Dogs on long leads were reeled in etc.

This is what it should be like, empty-ish and dogs on leads, I never see this, might make a complaint about it. And dog owners are so willfully thick, they just stare at you mutely when you tell them several times to call their dogs back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

No, I thought some would be amused.She said she had two lovely Whippets

And pretty big ones at that......;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Smashing evening for a run, like the end of summer.
    A lovely hilly 10k in the woods, met tons of people of all ages in great spirits.

F*ck you Drew Harris, f*ck you Amanda Brunker you'll never take our roads and trails from us!

a18dfaea7969fdc7bdaaf3019c42bf94.jpeg

This is what it should be like, empty-ish and dogs on leads, I never see this, might make a complaint about it. And dog owners are so willfully thick, they just stare at you mutely when you tell them several times to call their dogs back.

I had that issue last week. Just because the lead is 10metres long doesn't mean your dog should be 10 metres from you. Asked him to respect other users.

As i left I spotted a garda car. They went in to have a chat. That lad hasn't been seen since by me anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Dont forget the kamikaze kids on scooters/small bikes who look anywhere except where they are supposed to be going. Parents are oblivious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I was really cross with Brunker listening to that earlier, Mary Wilson seemed to give her a lot of rope as well and at one stage seemed to suggest that Conor Pope was getting a bit emotional in a patronising way,
    Suggesting that runners had spat in the direction of her feet, Jesus Christ, I’ve never seen that as long as I’ve been running, pitting people agss as inst runners now is a ****ty thing to do,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Dont forget the kamikaze kids on scooters/small bikes who look anywhere except where they are supposed to be going. Parents are oblivious.

Eh that is what kids do. They get distracted easily, the same way you did when a kid.

Most parents will remind their kids, but they are just kids. Current times are very tough on them also, cant see their friends, too young to understand and get very upset every so often about it all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Ah lads, kids on bikes and scooters can't be expected to have road/path sense. We have ours trained for years about walking single file or stopping on the bike if someone is coming the other way. But that took years to fine tune and even at that they need a few reminders these days.

I'd say I look like someone who's only out because of the lockdown. It's bad enough thinking people are frowning because you're moving (slightly) faster than a walk. But to be thinking runners too are questioning you being on the road is pretty unmotivating. Ever since I was sick trying to get back has me huffing and puffing along. I'm so paranoid about it I stopped wearing earphones so I could try quieten the train :o

This is what we've become. If everyone could keep their eyes on their own work and trust other people are working within the rules, we'd all keep a lot more sane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,024 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Just don't run or jog.

It's very simple.

Do all the runners out there find this confusing or what's the problem?

You can jog again in a few months (probably) but I think it's time to outlaw jogging in public for the next few weeks and i'd like to see fines issued at this stage.

It's not right. Everyone else is sticking to the plan to prevent spread and save lives.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Just don't run or jog.

It's very simple.

You can jog again in a few months (probably) but I think it's time to outlaw jogging in public for the next few weeks and i'd like to see fines issued at this stage.

It's not right. Everyone else is sticking to the plan to prevent spread and save lives.

Have a read of this if you'd like to educate yourself:

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/cf9b0d-new-public-health-measures-effective-now-to-prevent-further-spread-o/#the-only-reasons-you-can-leave-your-home
    The only reasons you can leave your home
    Stay at home in all circumstances, except in the following situations:

to travel to and from work where the work is considered an essential service. The full list of essential services is available here
    working in an essential shop, bank or post office. The full list of essential shops, post offices and banks is available here
    to attend medical appointments and collect medicines and other health products for yourself, your family or someone who is vulnerable or 'cocooning'
    for vital family reasons including caring for children, elderly or vulnerable people but excluding social family visits
    to exercise within 2 kilometres of your house. You cannot exercise with people from outside your household

Maybe read the bit in bold very slowly to yourself a few times before you post again

The CMO yesterday was not impressed with the amount of people running.

The OP wonders why looks are being given.

When you run you sweat and pant. This is not good for anyone within feet of you running by if you happen to be infected.

I fully expect jogging to be banned in the coming days incidentally. It won't be allowed continue, nor should it.

You can go a while without jogging. It's not a requirement.

People need some cop on and a sense of perspective.

You won't be flabbing out because you can't go for a jog for a while.

Just go for a walk. 4 km is a perfectly good walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

When you run you sweat and pant. This is not good for anyone within feet of you running by if you happen to be infected.

I fully expect jogging to be banned in the coming days incidentally. It won't be allowed continue, nor should it.

I've seen many unfit people sweating and panting while out walking, maybe that should be banned also. Majority of running don't sweat and pant while out for a easy run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I've upped my mileage from 30mpw to 50mpw, sure what else is there to do apart from pave the streets with toxic sweat

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Where is your source on this. The guidelines are quite clear on this, how do you know how impressed or otherwise he is?

No evidence whatsoever that it is any different than someone out walking, hence running and solo exercise in gerneral is specifically allowed and encouraged. Can you post your evidence on this please rather than scaremongering?

Your entitled to your opinion I guess but there is no reason for outdoor exercise to be banned but as of now it is still allowed so people can and should continue to do it.

Yep, some people really need to just follow the guidelines as published.

Not really sure what the essential difference between going for a walk and going for a run, both are allowed and encouraged, no chance one is going to be banned because of some nonsense on the Internet.

Just don't run or jog.

It's very simple.

Either you are trolling or just not reading the advice from our government.

Its perfectly safe to run if you keep 1 meter apart(WHO recommendations) or 2 meters(our government).

If a walker/runner hits off you, you have the same chance of picking the virus up.

Most runners are running early in the morning when there is no one around, today I saw 3 people from a distance.

We are obeying the government advice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

Exercise good for health.

The introduction of more restrictions on liberties is not acceptable

Especially not for a virus that has a wall of propaganda around it and lack of clarity around death rates and infection rates. Months in and we still do not have population samples indicating infection rates.

The world should not stop for something like this. The govt needs to work around it and get on with life.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Where is your source on this. The guidelines are quite clear on this, how do you know how impressed or otherwise he is?

The daily briefing.

I take it you don't watch it.

brutes1 wrote: »
    Exercise good for health.

The introduction of more restrictions on liberties is not acceptable

Especially not for a virus that has a wall of propaganda around it and lack of clarity around death rates and infection rates. Months in and we still do not have population samples indicating infection rates.

The world should not stop for something like this. The govt needs to work around it and get on with life.

Hi Gemma, how is life treating yeh? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,496 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I would much rather run than get my kicks from trolling message boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 backofthepack

and just to be pedantic I don't jog, I run, within guidelines :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

I can't see a full ban happening. It's not as if there's a horde of runners deliberately terrorising the community, flinging their sweat in all directions as they play chicken with walkers.

Most people, runners, walkers, cyclists, are doing their best to maintain distance and respect others when out of the house.

Personally, I'd guess that I "sweat and pant" less on my runs, and maintain a greater distance from others, and limit my excursions to max once per day, than others/you do on your 4km walk.

Running is a good pursuit.

It's very healthy.

Unfortunately at this time it presents a growing risk to others. That's mostly down to the increase in numbers.

Let's be real not all joggers are keeping proper distance - I see it myself every day.

Like I say I expect it to be part of a new bundle of restrictions.

Just exercise some other way for a while.

The daily briefing.

I take it you don't watch it.

Post his quote where he said this.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

A recent Belgian-Dutch study has applied the already known science regarding slipstreaming and looked at it from the perspective of social-distancing and corona virus.
    On the basis of these results the scientist advises that for walking the distance of people moving in the same direction in 1 line should be at least 4–5 meter, for running and slow biking it should be 10 meters and for hard biking at least 20 meters. Also, when passing someone it is advised to already be in different lane at a considerable distance e.g. 20 meters for biking.

https://medium.com/@jurgenthoelen/belgian-dutch-study-why-in-times-of-covid-19-you-can-not-walk-run-bike-close-to-each-other-a5df19c77d08

It's very healthy.

Unfortunately at this time it presents a growing risk to others. That's mostly down to the increase in numbers.

Let's be real not all joggers are keeping proper distance - I see it myself every day.

Most walkers aren't keeping their distance, most dog owners not keeping dogs on the lead or cleaning up after them.

So ban walking first

Most walkers aren't keeping their distance, most dog owners not keeping dogs on the lead or cleaning up after them.

So ban walking first

You need to walk to move. You don't need to run.

It's as simple and straight forward as that.

It's very healthy.

Can you actually post some evidence for the claims you are making. If what you are saying is true then why is it not mentioned in any advice anywhere.

I'm not engaging with your nonsense unless you come up with some actual facts rather than posting this sort of nonsense.

Can you actually post some evidence for the claims you are making. If what you are saying is true then why is it not mentioned in any advice anywhere.

The CMO mentioned it in the daily briefing you don't watch.

Obviously with more numbers comes more inexperience and people who would not be aware at all times of their distance.

I have had joggers run within centimeters of me in the last few days.

What do you have to say about that?

Are you going to defend that?

And if you are not going to defend it what is your solution?

• Advertisement

You need to walk to move. You don't need to run.

It's as simple and straight forward as that.

Its simple and straight forward to obey the 2 meter rule also. More runners obeying than walkers. Maybe the gardai should fined the ones not keeping the 2 meter rule

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Tabnabs wrote: »
    A recent Belgian-Dutch study has applied the already known science regarding slipstreaming and looked at it from the perspective of social-distancing and corona virus.

https://medium.com/@jurgenthoelen/belgian-dutch-study-why-in-times-of-covid-19-you-can-not-walk-run-bike-close-to-each-other-a5df19c77d08

Well I can 100% confirm none of that happens in The Netherlands.

Its simple and straight forward to obey the 2 meter rule also. More runners obeying than walkers. Maybe the gardai should fined the ones not keeping the 2 meter rule

More runners are not obeying it and that is why new restrictions and pretty likely in the next few days.

You may keep to the rules and fair enough but many are not.

The public are not going to be policing them.

The CMO mentioned it in the daily briefing you don't watch.

Obviously with more numbers comes more inexperience and people who would not be aware at all times of their distance.

I have had joggers run within centimeters of me in the last few days.

What do you have to say about that?

Are you going to defend that?

And if you are not going to defend it what is your solution?

Can you post what he said? When did he say it? I actually don't believe what you are saying is true.

Why would I defend what you say other people are doing?

People should follow the guidelines, which is 2 meters distance in all instances.

That has been pointed out over and over again, especially in your daily briefings.

More runners are not obeying it and that is why new restrictions and pretty likely in the next few days.

You are obviously a big fan of making claims without any evidence to back them up.

From my experience this is quite obviously not the case.

Unfortunately it is the government that sets the rules not randomers on the Internet based on anecdotal or no evidence.

And No, I don't expect any new restrictions in the next few days.

Its the opposite where I am in Dublin. The runners are keeping the rules but walkers are walking in groups(not all from the same house), blocking footpaths, having conversations on the paths etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭crisco10

I can't believe I'm doing this but....

How do you know that? because you are counting? do you have extensive tally sheets? On my run this morning, I came across 4 people. 3 runners who all swerved significantly to avoid me (and I did the same). One dog walker who steadfastly held their line. Ergo, no dog walkers care about social distancing.

And even if you did, they would be subject to bias because of the difference in speeds that you are travelling at. You will see proportionately more runners because they are moving at a different pace to you, as opposed to other walkers.

Can you post what he said? When did he say it? I actually don't believe what you are saying is true.

Why would I defend what you say other people are doing?

People should follow the guidelines, which is 2 meters distance in all instances.

That has been pointed out over and over again, especially in your daily briefings.

I don't care whether you believe it - i'm not going back to find the exact time and quotes for you.

It was the one before yesterday. Go back and watch - it's in the journos Q&A - you can watch on RTE

You're a health nut - you should be watching every day.

Again you misdiagnose the problem due to bias.

The fact is not all joggers are abiding by those rules. You know it, I know it. It's not a debate.

And that's why restrictions are likely (not saying it will happen but I think it's likely).

Its the opposite where I am in Dublin. The runners are keeping the rules but walkers are walking in groups(not all from the same house), blocking footpaths, having conversations on the paths etc

I know, and gardai have powers to break those groups up.

I am walking alone always at the moment. I make a point of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

That's a ridiculous statement with no evidence. Given the ratio of walkers/dog walkers to runners I would guess it's the other way round.

Advertisement