Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running, Corona Virus and Social Distancing

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I'm a runner who has gotten over Covid-19 (a case just below the threshold for hospital admission and with two secondary infections, so nothing trivial) and will be running as soon as the post-viral fatigue lifts enough to let me run (at a very, very easy pace - most likely starting with run/walk at quiet times). I'm currently walking every day to build my strength back.

Tell me again exactly what's wrong with that.

You can still pick up the virus and bring it to other locations on your body/clothes/shoes etc. You can touch surfaces and bring it to other surfaces you touch.

There's also limited and conflicting information as to whether you are fully immune following recovery.

All in all, your running is not more important than all the efforts being made to slow the spread of this thing. So instead of asking what the limit is to your routine, ask if there's anything more you can do to help beyond the guidelines being set out by authorities.

Your hubris is astounding.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,867 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

<mod>Let me make one thing very clear. You can argue against running as much as you want. I disagree, and so does the health minister, but you're entitled to your opinion. However, deliberately spreading misinformation about Covid-19 to suit your agenda is completely out of order. Any further infraction of that matter, from anyone, will result in a lengthy ban.</mod>

Excuse me?

You might want to read carefully what I wrote.

I have NOT spread misinformation.

I stated plain and simple that it is believed the virus can be spread up to 2 weeks (14 days) after symptoms end citing the report for Live Science from China and the study done there on recovered patients.

The report states they are unlikely to be highly contagious after this period.

That is what is known at the moment.

I deeply resent you telling me I am spreading misinformation - I have not.

I'm owed an apology for that.

That is dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Hop on Kermit.

Or should that be banned too?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,867 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Hop on Kermit.

Or should that be banned too?

I'm immune like all frogs so it's allowed :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

I'm a runner who has gotten over Covid-19 (a case just below the threshold for hospital admission and with two secondary infections, so nothing trivial) and will be running as soon as the post-viral fatigue lifts enough to let me run (at a very, very easy pace - most likely starting with run/walk at quiet times). I'm currently walking every day to build my strength back.

Tell me again exactly what's wrong with that.

What was the HSE advice on it? I think people would be interested because there isn't much info on exercising after recovery from it.

I think this is where the usefulness of an App comes in. It would let people know if a person aporoaching them has it or had it so that they could avoid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

What was the HSE advice on it? I think people would be interested because there isn't much info on exercising after recivery from it

I think this is where the usefulness of an App comes in. It would let people know if a person aporoaching them has or had it so that they could avoid.

Not a bog, I live in England so checking NHS advice and they haven't really said anything. I'm just going with starting with short, slow walking, like I'm a completely inactive person starting out. This suits when I'm bringing my kids out for a walk as 4 year olds do like to stop and smell the flowers! At the moment I'm not really sweating, not even breathing hard as it's an overall constitutional fatigue that's the limiting factor. I live in a 2 bedroom apartment so the kids need to go out for a local walk every day or they will go absolutely nuts.

I think next week I may start doing some YouTube yoga in my sitting room, or at the very least encouraging my kids to do Cosmic Kids and joining in with them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Hobby Joggers

why are you a professional athlete? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,703 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Research has shown that constantly engaging with trolls leads to the spread of the troll virus. Posters are asked to practice social media distancing to help flatten the trolling curve. Where possible, use the ignore button and never use the quote function to help others who are more vulnerable to the troll virus.

Anyhoo, like a few others on here I'm lucky to live in a relatively rural area, so after 500m or so of village, I'm out running on very very quiet roads. Having said that, I've seen a few eejits (probably newish runners I'd say) running repeats on the paths or around our estate.

It seems that the vast majority of people will use common sense, experience and good judgement but a few plebs will act like plebs and make running an easy target for people to have a go at online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Excuse me?

You might want to read carefully what I wrote.

I have NOT spread misinformation.

I stated plain and simple that it is believed the virus can be spread up to 2 weeks (14 days) after symptoms end citing the report for Live Science from China and the study done there on recovered patients.

The report states they are unlikely to be highly contagious after this period.

That is what is known at the moment.

I deeply resent you telling me I am spreading misinformation - I have not.

I'm owed an apology for that.

That is dreadful.

Its not easy being green, the colour of so many ordainary things.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

What was the HSE advice on it? I think people would be interested because there isn't much info on exercising after recovery from it.

I think this is where the usefulness of an App comes in. It would let people know if a person aporoaching them has it or had it so that they could avoid.

That is not what the proposed app would do.

It would at most tell you a couple of days later that you potentially were in the same area as someone else who has since tested positive. It would rely on everyone having the app on their phone which would then trace your movements, then you get sick and are tested, then the trace of where you've been and when would be compared with other peoples traces to see where they cross.

It's not going to be a virtual reality game where the zombies appear glowing as you approach them in Tesco and you can then throw tins of baked beans at them to send them on their way. It's just a way to potentially simplify the contact tracing and contacting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

robinph wrote: »
    It's not going to be a virtual reality game where the zombies appear glowing as you approach them in Tesco and you can then throw tins of baked beans at them to send them on their way.

It's just one disappointment after another with this pandemic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,833 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Yep, it is really putting me off getting out. Usually you'd only come across a couple of people on most of my routes, but everywhere extremely busy at the moment and people have always been ignorant with taking up paths when walking, using their buggies as weapons etc that hasn't changed a huge amount.

I find it hard to herd the family and a buggy off the footpath and on to the road to clear the path for a jogger.
    There's the worry of traffic, kerbs, kids on scooters etc... We do our best, but sometimes we just don't react quick enough.

Not a bog, I live in England so checking NHS advice and they haven't really said anything. I'm just going with starting with short, slow walking, like I'm a completely inactive person starting out. This suits when I'm bringing my kids out for a walk as 4 year olds do like to stop and smell the flowers! At the moment I'm not really sweating, not even breathing hard as it's an overall constitutional fatigue that's the limiting factor. I live in a 2 bedroom apartment so the kids need to go out for a local walk every day or they will go absolutely nuts.

I think next week I may start doing some YouTube yoga in my sitting room, or at the very least encouraging my kids to do Cosmic Kids and joining in with them!

It might be no harm to contact HSE in Ireland or an Irish Journalist and ask them to ask the question. I would not rely on advice from the NHS. The UK has been very careless in their approach to Covid 19. They only self isolate for 7 days for example.

There's also a risk of relapse. There's no proof that getting it once gives you immunity to it.

I also think you should let people know you have had it in advance. I don't think it's fair on others not to.

If I had a bad dose of flu(bed for 2 weeks) it would take me 2 weeks to recover. The risk of relapse during those 2 weeks is high.

This is a new virus so research data is limited but I imagine a relapse from this is possible and if you catch it a second time but now in a weakened state it could be dangerous. I think you are taking an unnecessary risk with exercising until you get advice from Doctors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

why are you a professional athlete? :confused:

Yes :D:D:D:D

I think the whole thing went over your head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

It might be no harm to contact HSE in Ireland or an Irish Journalist and ask them to ask the question. I would not rely on advice from the NHS. The UK has been very careless in their approach to Covid 19. They only self isolate for 7 days for example.

There's also a risk of relapse. There's no proof that getting it once gives you immunity to it.

I also think you should let people know you have had it in advance. I don't think it's fair on others not to.

If I had a bad dose of flu(bed for 2 weeks) it would take me 2 weeks to recover. The risk of relapse during those 2 weeks is high.

This is a new virus so research data is limited but I imagine a relapse from this is possible and if you catch it a second time but now in a weakened state it could be dangerous. I think you are taking an unnecessary risk with exercising until you get advice from Doctors.

Because Ireland has got it absolutely perfect. Maybe contact journalist in New Zealand for advice as they're looking better.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Because Ireland has got it absolutely perfect. Maybe contact journalist in New Zealand for advice as they're looking better.

But they believe that the Easter Bunny is a key worker, so not sure if we can call them that clued in on reality. :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I find it hard to herd the family and a buggy off the footpath and on to the road to clear the path for a jogger.
    There's the worry of traffic, kerbs, kids on scooters etc... We do our best, but sometimes we just don't react quick enough.

Where did I say I expect people to do that? I expect people to have manners and manners in general from pedestrians can be very poor when they are in groups/with children/with dogs and even sometimes on their own they'll blindly walk in the middle of a path not leaving anyone else space to pass be they walking or running. A topic which comes up on this forum often.

The point is to get advice before exercising after being ill with it. Some of you just want to score points.

Where did I say I expect people to do that? I expect people to have manners and manners in general from pedestrians can be very poor when they are in groups/with children/with dogs and even sometimes on their own they'll blindly walk in the middle of a path not leaving anyone else space to pass be they walking or running. A topic which comes up on this forum often.

Unfortunately most footpaths are under 2 metres so if a jogger is intent on staying on the path it's up to me to move my family off the path!

Take it easy, don't get offended, I'm reading this thread and taking all the points and teaching the kids to stay very very clear of all joggers. We've abandoned our normal route in to the park to play in the fields and use a new one over rough ground because of pinch points and to give joggers the tarmac.

The point is to get advice before exercising after being ill with it. Some of you just want to score points.

Which advice would that be then?

Other than "take it easy and only do as much as you can manage" you won't find any other advice on recovery from this virus, and that would be pretty much exactly the same advice that you'll be giving on recovering from any other virus, or any other condition of any kind that has you out of action for a while... well maybe broken bones might add in some physio advice but it's still essentially "take it easy".

What part of going for a walk and smelling the flowers along the way is anything other than taking it easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Glad you're feeling better RK.

For people thinking about yoga at home: have a look at the free 2-week trial on www.glo.com. I was freaking out when my yoga studio closed, I'm so used to going to a studio and doing a class every day. But the classes on glo.com are brilliant, it's kept me sane and fit during this poxy time, they've everything from 10 minute sitting meditations to 90 minute full-on fast vinyasa flows. The teacher Jason Crandell is fabulous.

About running in general: I've been doing 45 minute runs around my neighbourhood, keeping 2m from others on the paths or going out onto the road if I need to to maintain that distance.
    I do a little wave and a smile to everyone I see when I'm out and about almost everyone waves or smiles back. That too, is keeping me sane - that little bit of niceness is huge for me right now.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Unfortunately most footpaths are under 2 metres so if a jogger is intent on staying on the path it's up to me to move my family off the path!

Take it easy, don't get offended, I'm reading this thread and taking all the points and teaching the kids to stay very very clear of all joggers. We've abandoned our normal route in to the park to play in the fields and use a new one over rough ground because of pinch points and to give joggers the tarmac.

I have kids but am also a runner. Even before the virus, if you saw a family with a buggy or kids on scooters or bikes, I would just move out of their way.

Same way I would expect a family to give way to one person at a gate.

This is all common sense that was there before the virus

Comparing Ireland to New Zealand, is like apples and oranges, its not like for like.

Its a lot harder to get to New Zealand and its spread across two islands, so easier for them to do 2 weeks quarantine on people arriving.

I have kids but am also a runner. Even before the virus, if you saw a family with a buggy or kids on scooters or bikes, I would just move out of their way.

Same way I would expect a family to give way to one person at a gate.

This is all common sense that was there before the virus

Same here, but some people don't...
    people have always been ignorant with taking up paths when walking, using their buggies as weapons etc that hasn't changed a huge amount.

So, to keep up social distancing I am trying to avoid joggers who want to stick to the path.

robinph wrote: »
    Which advice would that be then?

Other than "take it easy and only do as much as you can manage" you won't find any other advice on recovery from this virus, and that would be pretty much exactly the same advice that you'll be giving on recovering from any other virus, or any other condition of any kind that has you out of action for a while... well maybe broken bones might add in some physio advice but it's still essentially "take it easy".

What part of going for a walk and smelling the flowers along the way is anything other than taking it easy.

They also need advice on how soon they could exercise without spreading the virus . The person doesn't seem to have gotten any advice because he or she didn't require hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Wow, this thread has escalated fast!

Glad I drive to isolated areas to do my sessions, if this thread is any indication of the people who are congregating in parks!

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Wow, this thread has escalated fast!

Glad I drive to isolated areas to do my sessions, if this thread is any indication of the people who are congregating in parks!

Is the drive within 2km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Is the drive within 2km

no its not, he drives 15km just to run 200metre:p

Is the drive within 2km

Can you please say 2k radius to be correct

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Is the drive within 2km

Close enough. The extra 400m is worth it for the peace and quiet so I don't have to encounter folk like yourself.

The 2km radius is to stop people congregating in hotpots like Howth and Glendalough, not to stop people who want to avoid human interaction when exercising within their locality, the precise thing you are whingeing about.

Advertisement