Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running, Corona Virus and Social Distancing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Close enough. The extra 400m is worth it for the peace and quiet so I don't have to encounter folk like yourself.

The 2km radius is to stop people congregating in hotpots like Howth and Glendalough, not to stop people who want to avoid human interaction when exercising within their locality, the precise thing you are whingeing about.

You just kicked him off again:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,683 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Why doesn’t everyone just train at home?
    Ya know 15 minute hiit sessions, home callisthenics using your door as a chin up bar (put folded up cardboard to build up the ground under the door) if you don’t have a chin up bar.
    There are ways of staying fit without going out running.

Where did I say I expect people to do that? I expect people to have manners and manners in general from pedestrians can be very poor when they are in groups/with children/with dogs and even sometimes on their own they'll blindly walk in the middle of a path not leaving anyone else space to pass be they walking or running. A topic which comes up on this forum often.

Sorry m8 but family taking up a narrow path take precedence over your jogging. You’ll have to get out of their way as opposed to the other way around.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

tom1ie wrote: »
    Why doesn’t everyone just train at home?
    Ya know 15 minute hiit sessions, home callisthenics using your door as a chin up bar (put folded up cardboard to build up the ground under the door) if you don’t have a chin up bar.
    There are ways of staying fit without going out running.

Because, going out for solo exercise is specifically allowed in the regulations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Sorry m8 but family taking up a narrow path take precedence over your jogging. You’ll have to get out of their way as opposed to the other way around.

No matter who is coming towards my family, fun runner, hobby jogger, dog, speed walker etc we will always try to make room on the path, anyone who doesn't is part of the problem tbh

We don't expect precedence over anyone

From what i can see the problem is some runners, some bikers, some families, there's always going to be a certain amount of people ignorant to the advice. I think the majority are doing great.

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote: »
    Because, going out for solo exercise is specifically allowed in the regulations.

Training at home would be better as it would nip this clash in the bud and still allow people to train.
    Everyone’s happy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Nobody takes precedence over anyone else, common courtesy called for all round. Nobody owns the footpath.

I'll normally move out where I can, I also really appreciate when groups go to single file or make accommodations and to be honest I haven't seen any of the issues people on here have been talking about.

IvoryTower wrote: »
    No matter who is coming towards my family, fun runner, hobby jogger, dog, speed walker etc we will always try to make room on the path, anyone who doesn't is part of the problem tbh

We don't expect precedence over anyone

Fair enough. Once 2m social separation is kept on narrow paths right.

Nobody takes precedence over anyone else, common courtesy called for all round. Nobody owns the footpath.

I'll normally move out where I can, I also really appreciate when groups go to single file or make accommodations and to be honest I haven't seen any of the issues people on here have been talking about.

Once 2m is kept on a narrow path though yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

The 2km radius is to stop people congregating in hotpots like Howth and Glendalough

No it's not.

Those destinations have either been shut or have checkpoints so the 2km rule is moot in that scenario.

It's meant to stop people travelling outside their immediate locality and spreading the virus even further.

Limit peoples movements and you limit the spread.

• Advertisement

Training at home would be better as it would nip this clash in the bud and still allow people to train.
    Everyone’s happy.

As long as people follow the guidelines it's all good. If the ruling was not to out I'm sure people would respect that. As long as the guidelines stay as they are people will continue to exercise outside.

As long as people follow the guidelines it's all good. If the ruling was not to out I'm sure people would respect that. As long as the guidelines stay as they are people will continue to exercise outside.

Agreed however I am merely suggesting to solve the issues on this forum, people should just train at home.
    Simples.

Well I haven't had any issues, haven't had any negative interactions at all so need to stay home.

Well I haven't had any issues, haven't had any negative interactions at all so need to stay home.

Yes but generally as opposed to thinking of your own experiences.
    Do you not think it would make sense to train at home to stop people coming into close contact on footpaths like some of the scenarios on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Agreed however I am merely suggesting to solve the issues on this forum, people should just train at home.
    Simples.

The only issues on this forum are being brought in by a gang of gob****es trying to get running banned or some such nonsense. The runners on this forum are quite happily continuing their training outdoors, staying within 2km (give or take 400m :pac:), respecting social distancing and keeping healthy.

Maybe, just maybe, all you naysayers could just make your way back to whatever forum you usually frequent. Simples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

hmmm wrote: »
    When you're walking, most people are having this little dance where people are trying to stay out of each others way. We've time to do this. There's a lot of "will I move on to the road or will they" in my area. There's also the few gob****es who are oblivious to the world, and will pass a foot from you.

With runners and joggers there's less time and just a small bit more stressful. I suggest that joggers could help public perceptions by making very clear moves early on to indicate that they are going to move out of the way.

Is the solution to all this walker V runner/jogger situation as simple as "everybody walk/run on the left" ????

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Maybe, just maybe, all you naysayers could just make your way back to whatever forum you usually frequent. Simples.

Why ? Because you don't like hearing an alternative view ?

Running is fine if it's practiced within the guidelines. The problem at the moment is it's near impossible to run on the path while maintaining the correct distance as the footpaths are rammed with families out walking.

Some people have found alternative routes, others have stopped running all together but the remainder are continuing as normal and running close to people on the footpaths which is both ignorant and dangerous just now.

Which bit if this do you take issue with ?

Are you suggesting that runners be given an exception to the distance rule ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Close enough. The extra 400m is worth it for the peace and quiet so I don't have to encounter folk like yourself.

The 2km radius is to stop people congregating in hotpots like Howth and Glendalough, not to stop people who want to avoid human interaction when exercising within their locality, the precise thing you are whingeing about.

People like me. Your the one breaking the regulations.

2km restriction is to prevent the spread of the virus to other communities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

A bit of common sense needed, if an extra 400m reduces the chance of anyone spreading the poxy thing then obviously you should take the option that prevents the spread. I assume he just posted it so he can sit back and enjoy the froth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Cant believe this toxic thread is still going (going nowhere btw) - still, if it helps keep the toxic elements (social clustering?) in one place, then hey-ho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Comparing Ireland to New Zealand, is like apples and oranges, its not like for like.

Its a lot harder to get to New Zealand and its spread across two islands, so easier for them to do 2 weeks quarantine on people arriving.

It wasn't a serious suggestion.

Why ? Because you don't like hearing an alternative view ?

Running is fine if it's practiced within the guidelines. The problem at the moment is it's near impossible to run on the path while maintaining the correct distance as the footpaths are rammed with families out walking.

Some people have found alternative routes, others have stopped running all together but the remainder are continuing as normal and running close to people on the footpaths which is both ignorant and dangerous just now.

Which bit if this do you take issue with ?

Are you suggesting that runners be given an exception to the distance rule ?

Yes, running is fine within the guidelines. You are barking up the wrong tree if you think you have many to convert on this thread to observing said guidelines. The guideline breakers and bad mannered, walkers and joggers both, who are normally sitting on their couches or sweating it in a gym are not reading this.

The only issues on this forum are being brought in by a gang of gob****es trying to get running banned or some such nonsense. The runners on this forum are quite happily continuing their training outdoors, staying within 2km (give or take 400m :pac:), respecting social distancing and keeping healthy.

wow your getting very upset over this chief.
    I like staying fit as much as anyone on here. I'm only suggesting that you can stay fit plus stay indoors (which is obviously preferable during a pandemic unless you disagree?) by training at home.
    wheres the harm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

People like me. Your You're the one breaking the regulations.

2km restriction is to prevent the spread of the virus to other communities.

You're welcome :D

wow your getting very upset over this chief.
    I like staying fit as much as anyone on here. I'm only suggesting that you can stay fit plus stay indoors (which is obviously preferable during a pandemic unless you disagree?) by training at home.
    wheres the harm?

Nah mate, I don't get upset at other peoples buffoonery. It's more a feeling of exasperation.

As for staying indoors...why would I? The experts are happy that I exercise in the way that I do. Why don't people stay in their bedrooms all day to avoid contact with all others to ensure there is no further spread? Maybe it's because they haven't been instructed to perhaps? Only a thought...

Anyway as has been said its crazy that this thread is still going...now to find a door frame, tree or vine to swing from to keep fit...:D

The guideline breakers and bad mannered, walkers and joggers both, who are normally sitting on their couches or sweating it in a gym are not reading this.
    Went out early for a walk this morning and the number of inexperienced runners huffing, puffing and snottering past within feet of me was a real issue tbh.

Experienced runners (ie those not huffing and puffing) seem to be a lot more aware and considerate.

I'm in total agreement.

Some people are getting defensive about running which is understandable but I was genuinely taken aback by the number of runners out this morning and about 40% had no problem running well within 2 meters of those of us walking.

I used the road but if I had young kids that may not have been an option.

I normally go much earlier but reckoned 8am would still be quiet enough.

The world and his wife were out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

2 comments on what I read on this page, not read the whole thread:

#i think the 2km rule is really about an easy number that the Irish can understand. Hard rules are needed to stop people having a jolly by driving off into wicklow etc. It seems a number that was picked out the air to stop a certain behaviour.

Some people who are running are being d!cks. Every time I have taken my exercise, whether its a walk or whatever, I've witnessed runners getting close to people, particularly at pinch points like bridges etc. Normally you dont want to have to stop start when running, but in these times you must (to let someone on a bridge finish crossing it, to wait for traffic while someone else is using the pavement ahead etc). I don't see nearly enough runners (or even people walking in the city) doing this.

It is a privilege that you are still able to go out and more people need to respect this before further restrictions come in.

Yes but generally as opposed to thinking of your own experiences.
    Do you not think it would make sense to train at home to stop people coming into close contact on footpaths like some of the scenarios on this thread.

Possibly, but I'll leave it up to the experts to make that judgement, there are huge mental as well as physical benefits to getting outside the house for some exercise.

You're welcome :D

Drew Harris could do with you.:)

• Advertisement

IvoryTower wrote: »
    A bit of common sense needed, if an extra 400m reduces the chance of anyone spreading the poxy thing then obviously you should take the option that prevents the spread. I assume he just posted it so he can sit back and enjoy the froth

That's fair enough but if that area is frequented by others closer by then the person is causing a problem and not preventing one.

Advertisement