Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running, Corona Virus and Social Distancing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

tom1ie wrote: »
    Ah stop now will ya. So if ya can’t run your gonna have a physical reaction and get sick?
    Really?

Classic Ireland. Running us bad, alcohol is good.

Yes, some people without the ability to run could spiral downwards very badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Chivito550 wrote: »

Give over ! A tad dramatic no?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Knuckle meet dragger...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,683 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Your are backing a losing argument here chief.
    “I can’t run so I’m on a downward spiral”
    Seriously! Even though you have the option of getting exercise in your house?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Butterbeans

tom1ie wrote: »
    Your are backing a losing argument here chief.
    “I can’t run so I’m on a downward spiral”
    Seriously! Even though you have the option of getting exercise in your house?

We get it. You exercise in your house. Well done!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

No.

robinph wrote: »
    No.

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,683 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

We get it. You exercise in your house. Well done!

Cheers. I didn’t think I was being transparent enough!!

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Knuckle meet dragger...

Vacuous nonsense

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Yes

You think that some people falling into very dark places during this lockdown if they are not able to have the release of exercise is not important, despite there being between zero and no risk of infection if someone goes out running solo and meets no-one along the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Vacuous nonsense

robinph has given you the courtesy of a reply which in all honesty your ignorance in no way deserves. Try reading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

The CMO yesterday was not impressed with the amount of people running.

That's a bare faced lie.

He was asked and he re enforced the social distancing mantra for anyone. He at no stage said he wasn't impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭solidasarock

I am fine with backing off running for a few weeks.

I know I can still go for a run if I wanted too but its clearly annoying a lot of people for perfectly understandable reasons. I am not going to be "that guy" stressing people or risk infecting a old person just going for a walk about the park because I am still trying to get his weekly Km's in.

So far I am just using it as a excuse to do more weights and a bit of yoga. I suck at both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Great thread....

Could be up for 2020 year end award.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I am fine with backing off running for a few weeks.

I know I can still go for a run if I wanted too but its clearly annoying a lot of people for perfectly understandable reasons. I am not going to be "that guy" stressing people or risk infecting a old person just going for a walk about the park because I am still trying to get his weekly Km's in.

So far I am just using it as a excuse to do more weights and a bit of yoga. I suck at both.

I don't understand this. Once you're maintaining social distancing, how are you annoying them? You've as much right to be outside as they do and I don't see any difference in a 30 minute walk and a 30 minute run.

From what I've seen over the past few weeks, if there's a group more likely to not maintain social distancing it's walkers more so than runners.

I've seen multiple people out walking stopping to chat to their neighbours, I've yet to see any runners stop do that. And runners are the ones that I see are moving over to the grass or onto the road to avoid people.

Runners also don't have their kids running all over the place, getting too close to others either or their dogs sh*tting everywhere and not picking it up.

So if there's an old person walking around the park, I don't think runners are the ones they should be most concerned about.

Also, seeing the pictures of traffic jams on motorways, I think people running a few kilometres in their local area are the least of our worries. People always need someone else to blame and b*tch about and at the minute they've chosen ruuners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Also "social distancing" is going to last months, not weeks. Hopefully not as strict as current measures for months on end but defintely but normal either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

No offense to Runners,. I'm a walker a hill walker when I can etc.. but you have to see and understand you're running mainly on hard surfaces, pounding the rds and your body,. obviously breathing heavy, hence sweating... breathing heavily, sweating, pounding etc,you must realise and understand you're creating much more sweat/water droplets than non runners and knocking them off your body at the same time...can you not just agree to keep your distance(run around) every person that you pass... Is it not as simple as that.
    PLEASE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

No offense to Runners,. I'm a walker a hill walker when I can etc.. but you have to see and understand you're running mainly on hard surfaces, pounding the rds and your body,. obviously breathing heavy, hence sweating... breathing heavily, sweating, pounding etc,you must realise and understand you're creating much more sweat/water droplets than non runners and knocking them off your body at the same time...can you not just agree to keep your distance(run around) every person that you pass... Is it not as simple as that.
    PLEASE.

Yes it is that simple, that’s why it’s been said by lots of runners on many occasions throughout this thread.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    robinph has given you the courtesy of a reply which in all honesty your ignorance in no way deserves. Try reading it.

Ignorance? WTF are you talking about:D Suggesting someone could go in to a death spiral just because they can't go for a run temporarily? Yes that's hyperbole and an insult to people with real mental health problems.You don't fall off a cliff overnight. You can adapt just like everyone else is dong instead of looking for loopholes.
    There's nothing stopping people from exercising at home, something thousands of people are prepared to do. This fetishising of mental health is despicable.
    I won't be lectured on mental health by some narcissist with half baked notions.
    I'm well aware of the benefits of exercise but I won't use mental health to justify selfishness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

sideswipe wrote: »
    Yes it is that simple, that’s why it’s been said about 100 times in this thread.

So it's sorted all's good.
    Happy Days :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

It's like every day we have a new wave of Corona Crusaders, I wonder who will stop by tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

So it's sorted all's good.
    Happy Days :cool:

Yep all sorted......nothing to see here folks, move along now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

hard surfaces, pounding the rds and your body,. obviously breathing heavy, hence sweating... breathing heavily, sweating, pounding

Sexy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Stark wrote: »
    Sexy

I did find that phrasing - and repetition - a bit odd too. These lads are really getting riled up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

PLEASE.

I keep my distance, but FYI sweat doesn't transmit the virus. Stay safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭CCR

The Covid has created a few groups (and obnoxious opinions of them) by the looks of it.
    1. Im a runner, I've always been a runner, where were you when.........
    2. I run but in this case I'll avoid busy areas (doesn't train hard enough)
    3. Other sport person running to keep fit (wears non runner appropriate clothing)
    4. People taking this as opportunity to start running (wonder how long it'll last)
    5. Pedestrians (get off the footpath, runner coming through)

Just get over yourselves, be polite and accept that people are worried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,833 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

CCR wrote: »
    The Covid has created a few groups (and obnoxious opinions of them) by the looks of it.
    1. Im a runner, I've always been a runner, where were you when.........
    2. I run but in this case I'll avoid busy areas (doesn't train hard enough)
    3. Other sport person running to keep fit (wears non runner appropriate clothing)
    4. People taking this as opportunity to start running (wonder how long it'll last)
    5. Pedestrians (get off the footpath, runner coming through)

Just get over yourselves, be polite and accept that people are worried.

Ha!! Me... can't do my own sport as if anything went wrong it would pull emergency services away from the hard work their doing at the moment. My eight year old son has decided he wants to run so we're doing 3k a day in a deserted field.

Both of us not attired in the latest appropriate clothing and the little feicer has beaten me twice and wants to increase the distance :eek:

Wish I had my kids in my twenties. I'm pretending we can't do further distance to maintain my dignity. He's loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Singer wrote: »
    I keep my distance, but FYI sweat doesn't transmit the virus. Stay safe!

They don't know that yet.

They are not sure about Breathing either. Fauci has said it might be possible for the virus to suspend in the fine mist(aerosol) of a breath especially heavy breathing

Ignorance? WTF are you talking about:D Suggesting someone could go in to a death spiral just because they can't go for a run temporarily? Yes that's hyperbole and an insult to people with real mental health problems.You don't fall off a cliff overnight. You can adapt just like everyone else is dong instead of looking for loopholes.
    There's nothing stopping people from exercising at home, something thousands of people are prepared to do. This fetishising of mental health is despicable.
    I won't be lectured on mental health by some narcissist with half baked notions.
    I'm well aware of the benefits of exercise but I won't use mental health to justify selfishness.

You really have no idea what you are talking about.

It might be the case that the lack of being able to go out for a run isn't considered that vital even to someone struggling with mental health issues that they would mention it as an issue with it being taken away from them. But it is going to be one of the additional straws that are added onto the weight that the camel with the dodgy spine is carrying for them. That camel has been looking very unstable recently.

Anyone already struggling with mental health issues has almost certainly very suddenly found themselves cut off from their support network of family, friends and maybe other medical services and are now in a strange an stressful situation.

I'm very lucky to have multiple indoor exercise options with treadmill and bike, but I also have a deserted dual carriageway within half a mile of my front door and no local restrictions on distance or duration that I can exercise (yet) so I will continue to make use of the option to run outside and see nobody while doing so.

You have no idea what anyone else is going through regardless of the current virus related issues. If a bit of a run outside whilst socially distanced from everyone else is enough to keep someone from tipping over the edge then that's what they need.

This is a very long situation that we all have to get through and it may be just a bit of a run will make the difference for getting through to the other side for some people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

I don't understand this. Once you're maintaining social distancing, how are you annoying them? You've as much right to be outside as they do and I don't see any difference in a 30 minute walk and a 30 minute run.

There is a difference a runner for 30mins passes considerably more people than somebody walking for 30mins because they have to pass a lot of people going the same way as them where a walker generally doesn't, the runner is also harder to avoid.
    robinph wrote: »
    You think that some people falling into very dark places during this lockdown if they are not able to have the release of exercise is not important, despite there being between zero and no risk of infection if someone goes out running solo and meets no-one along the way.

Nobody would give a sh-t about runners if the meet no-one along the way, runners aren't normally a target of anger and serious annoyance.
    Would you be ok with running on pavements being banned between 9am to 6pm, that way they won't be meeting anybody.

Do the posters here really think that all the runners are constant running on the road in the more built up areas of Dublin where the footpaths are only 2m wide or so in general.
    Ditto mental health issues if you remove running.

Your move.

Why don't you run up and down the residential street your on (if your not bang in a city center) your getting your run in then or is it actually about your routine and usual routes being disrupted while the country is lockdown, hundred of thousands are loosing their jobs because of these restrictions and people are dying from a worldwide epidemic. This is basically an unprecedented level of civil restrictions.
    This also applies to Robinph.

Advertisement