Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running, Corona Virus and Social Distancing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

Ive noticed a huge uplift in runners during this lockdown. The improvement in health must be massive. Not a single one has been discourteous and all have maintained physical distancing so rock on and keep it up in the long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,470 ✭✭✭TheChizler

work wrote: »
    Ive noticed a huge uplift in runners during this lockdown.

Gym replacement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

There is a difference a runner for 30mins passes considerably more people than somebody walking for 30mins because they have to pass a lot of people going the same way as them where a walker generally doesn't, the runner is also harder to avoid.

Nobody would give a sh-t about runners if the meet no-one along the way, runners aren't normally a target of anger and serious annoyance.
    Would you be ok with running on pavements being banned between 9am to 6pm, that way they won't be meeting anybody.

Do the posters here really think that all the runners are constant running on the road in the more built up areas of Dublin where the footpaths are only 2m wide or so in general.

Why don't you run up and down the residential street your on (if your not bang in a city center) your getting your run in then or is it actually about your routine and usual routes being disrupted while the country is lockdown, hundred of thousands are loosing their jobs because of these restrictions and people are dying from a worldwide epidemic. This is basically an unprecedented level of civil restrictions.
    This also applies to Robinph.

If the runner and Walker are both looking where they are going, it should not be hard to.avoid unless Walker is glued to their phone again?

Runners are well able to communicate with another running coming from the opposite direction and not run into each other.

To be honest from what I seen over the last few weeks, teenagers and walkers are the ones breaking the rules and then you have the house parties.

As for a curfew, I be on for that, runners only between 6pm till 9am and everyone else only from 9am to 6pm. It wouldn't bother me as very few out at 7am in the morning when I run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭opus

I found this article on the analysis of one of Germany's first clusters interesting & a little bit reassuring. TLDR social gatherings were/are the big problem. The dishwater theory mentioned made me think of the sweat on the street theory I saw posted here a few days back :)
    Each of the countries most heavily hit by the pandemic has reported similar stories of social, cultural or religious gatherings where large numbers spent numerous hours in close company – holding hands, kissing, sharing drinks from the same glass – which then turbo-charged the spread of the pandemic.

“One pattern we are seeing across the globe is that wherever there was singing and dancing, the virus spread more rapidly,” says Prof Hendrik Streeck, a virologist at the University of Bonn whose team of researchers has spent the past week carrying out the first “Covid-19 case cluster study” in Heinsberg.

“Most infections didn’t take place in supermarkets or restaurants,” Streeck says of his preliminary findings. In Heinsberg, his team of coronavirus detectives could find scant evidence of the virus being transmitted via the surfaces of door handles, smartphones or other objects.

Early theories that the virus at the carnival party in Gangelt could have been transmitted through the dishwater in the kitchen turned out to be a red herring: most guests drank their beer from bottles.

Instead, he says, transmission took place at “events where people spent a length of time in each others’ close company”, such as apres-ski parties in the Austrian resort of Ischgl, the Trompete nightclub in Berlin and a soccer match in Bergamo, in Italy.

Needless to say I will continue to wash my hands entering & leaving home as recommended but certainly am not going to worry about going out for a bit of exercise (a run in my case). Learned a long time ago that I can only control what I do so have dropped a lot of my normal routes as just too many groups of people walking (not criticising them or anything) which makes me somewhat uncomfortable so take to quiter areas as much as possible given I'm living in the city centre. Living alone so that daily run is giving me a sporting chance of coming out the other side of this reasonably sane or at least that's my hope anyway!

One thing I've noticed is that when it's a quieter area & I pass someone we tend to acknowledge each other & even say thanks when one/both of us changes direction to give as much space as possible. Hopefully we can all get through this without denouncing each other ;)

Just got this emailed around at work so you might find it useful.
    I am delighted to bring to your attention a new resource called iHealthFacts, where members of the public can submit their health claim/queries, and a dedicated research team will provide the evidence to support or debunk the theory/question. For example, a popular question at the moment is, “does wearing mask prevent COVID-19 acquisition”. Click on the icon or link to go to the website https://ihealthfacts.ie/ or follow on twitter @iHealthFacts1, Instagram @ihealthfacts and facebook @iHealthFacts.ie1. This work is funded by the HRB and we at the HRB CRF-C are delighted to contribute to a very valuable resource in partnership with colleagues at the HRB TMRN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

There were numerous articles published yesterday on a Belgian / Dutch study suggesting that a 2m separation is not nearly enough to keep safe when running or cycling.

https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/news/a32094750/coronavirus-runner-slipstream/

A separate study out yesterday also shows that the virus stays in the air much longer then previously thought.

People have good reason to be concerned about sharing footpaths with runners at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

There were numerous articles published yesterday on a Belgian / Dutch study suggesting that a 2m separation is not nearly enough to keep safe when running or cycling.

A separate study out yesterday also shows that the virus stays in the air much longer then previously thought.

People have good reason to be concerned about sharing footpaths with runners at the moment.
    That report on the simulation from Belgium isn't the study that it was being made out to be yesterday with it spreading like a virus on social media:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/v74az9/the-viral-study-about-runners-spreading-coronavirus-is-not-actually-a-study

It mostly tells us what we already knew, if you run too closely behind someone then you'll get covered in snot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

There is a difference a runner for 30mins passes considerably more people than somebody walking for 30mins because they have to pass a lot of people going the same way as them where a walker generally doesn't, the runner is also harder to avoid.

Not necessarily. That depends on the route. If 50 ppl out for a walk at the same time in a park doing laps they pass each other multiple times as not everyone will walk in same direction.

I've spent more time on the edge of the road the last 2 weeks then on any footpath. The closest I've been to anyone while out is at the supermarket.

Walkers, particularly younger generation glued to phones with headphones on are more of a danger then anyone else in my experiences the last few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Not necessarily. That depends on the route. If 50 ppl out for a walk at the same time in a park doing laps they pass each other multiple times as not everyone will walk in same direction.

I've spent more time on the edge of the road the last 2 weeks then on any footpath. The closest I've been to anyone while out is at the supermarket.

Walkers, particularly younger generation glued to phones with headphones on are more of a danger then anyone else in my experiences the last few weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

Did 5 miles this morning around fields near where I live.

They are used by plenty of walkers with and without dogs

Only ran by 1 person twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Nobody would give a sh-t about runners if the meet no-one along the way, runners aren't normally a target of anger and serious annoyance.
    Would you be ok with running on pavements being banned between 9am to 6pm, that way they won't be meeting anybody.

Do the posters here really think that all the runners are constant running on the road in the more built up areas of Dublin where the footpaths are only 2m wide or so in general.

Why don't you run up and down the residential street your on (if your not bang in a city center) your getting your run in then or is it actually about your routine and usual routes being disrupted while the country is lockdown, hundred of thousands are loosing their jobs because of these restrictions and people are dying from a worldwide epidemic. This is basically an unprecedented level of civil restrictions.
    This also applies to Robinph.

I'm smack bang in an apartment in a town centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

So the walkers can stay at home then.

Sick of seeing them clogging up the footpaths.

Can't they just walk around their home? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I'm lucky that I live near a couple of industrial estates (seems weird to be seeing this as a lucky thing!) so I've changed my route to incorporate these. Scenery is terrible, but not a soul around. The only time I see people is when I come back into the estate.

It can be a bit annoying when people hog the whole pavement, but I just go out onto the road to maintain my distance. When I'm running that doesn't bother me but on my way back yesterday, (run was finished and I was walking), a couple were walking towards me and kept walking shoulder to shoulder without making any effort to move, forcing me onto the road. But hey, I just look on the brightside. I'm just glad I like running and get to do it while we're in semi lockdown.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I'm smack bang in an apartment in a town centre.

I'm on a high street with three small supermarkets/ grocery shops within 50m of the front door and queues forming in various directions infront of each of them. It's handy seeing the delivery lorries arrive though so we know when there is likely to be stuff on the shelves and don't need to leave the door unless we know there isn't a queue outside.

500m away though I have a practically deserted and very wide 5 mile long footpath beside a main road with no junctions on it, so no people going for a short walk there. Just the occasional cyclists and runners who all avoid each other with loads of room to spare well above any 2m distancing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Zebra3 wrote: »
    So the walkers can stay at home then.

Sick of seeing them clogging up the footpaths.

Can't they just walk around their home? :confused:

I was more thinking along the lines of everyone being considerate and looking out for each other.

No need for anyone to stop running but wheezing past me and forcing me to suck up your slipstream in the middle of a global pandemic isn’t being considerate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

I was more thinking along the lines of everyone being considerate and looking out for each other.

No need for anyone to stop running but wheezing past me and forcing me to suck up your slipstream in the middle of a global pandemic isn’t being considerate.

Ok I'm confused(believe me that happens easily!) Either you want us to stop running or you don't? Maybe we could hold our breath while running by you(to avoid that wheezing sound) whilst already obeying the 2m social distancing in place and being considerate like we have said in many, many posts on this thread!

Or maybe you & others here just like this merry-go-round we are on with this thread ;)

Hi, male here. Anybody know a good set of running tights with pocket space for a large mobile phone (1+7 Pro).

Carrying my mobile phone in my hand is distracting and having it wrapped around my arm irritates me for some reason.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The trail running shorts from Decathlon are the business for that https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/men-s-comfort-trail-running-tight-shorts-black-en-s168232.html. They also have a version without the lycra liner: https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/men-s-trail-running-baggy-shorts-graph-en-s145971.html . Which reminds me, need to order another pair myself, just checked my current pair and the underside is completely ripped open on them. No wonder there were complains on the IMRA forum! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Stark wrote: »
    The trail running shorts from Decathlon are the business for that https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/men-s-comfort-trail-running-tight-shorts-black-en-s168232.html. They also have a version without the lycra liner: https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/men-s-trail-running-baggy-shorts-graph-en-s145971.html . Which reminds me, need to order another pair myself, just checked my current pair and the underside is completely ripped open on them. No wonder there were complains on the IMRA forum! :eek:

I can second that. I have been using the ones without the lycra liner when I was still running in and out of work and they were comfortably able to hold my phone and my key cards for work. Can definitely recommend but they do start showing wear and tear sooner than other shorts. But for €20 per pair definitely worthwhile.

The other option I was using was a flip belt. https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/fli12/flipbelt-classic-~-black-~-ss20/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Nice handy 10 mile LSR this morning.
    Not many cars on the road. Lots of people out walking who lived near woods.
    They have main car park at the woods cordoned off.
    Feel for townies at the moment having nowhere to go.
    It's paradise in the countryside when it's like this, quiet roads and the sun shining.

No black and tans on the roads either.

Feel for townies at the moment having nowhere to go.

Everyone will have some kind of green space within a couple of miles of their front door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭LastFridayNight

There's an awful lot of hysteria about the 2 meters guidance. It's like people somehow think if they come within a two meter bubble of an infected person they'll end up on a ventilator two weeks later.

Does anyone actually read the HSE or WHO guidelines? Or do they just read the headline, then make up the rest from their own imagination and data from whatsapp fecal messaging groups?

HSE: "Coronavirus is spread in sneeze or cough droplets." "There is very little risk if you are just passing someone. But try to keep a distance of 2 metres as much as possible." https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/protect-yourself.html

Since this crisis began, I haven't yet come across anyone sneezing or coughing. If I do, I'll be giving them a wide berth like the guidelines suggest. But otherwise, I'll not be sweating the occasional close pass with runners, walkers, shoppers, kids on bikes, and folks glued to their phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Hi, male here. Anybody know a good set of running tights with pocket space for a large mobile phone (1+7 Pro).

Carrying my mobile phone in my hand is distracting and having it wrapped around my arm irritates me for some reason.

I use a Lycra type running belt. Very light and holds the phone really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Ask in the gear section also. You should get more answers there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

And there's no need for walkers to hog up the whole of the footpath.

Get into single file at the side when somebody else is coming the opposite direction.

Get off their phones, especially when out with their kids.

Stop leaving dog sh1t behind.

Take out their headphones, be aware of others around them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Does anyone actually read the HSE or WHO guidelines? Or do they just read the headline, then make up the rest from their own imagination and data from whatsapp fecal messaging groups?

That a rhetorical question? :)
    HSE: "Coronavirus is spread in sneeze or cough droplets." "There is very little risk if you are just passing someone. But try to keep a distance of 2 metres as much as possible." https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/protect-yourself.html

Since this crisis began, I haven't yet come across anyone sneezing or coughing. If I do, I'll be giving them a wide berth like the guidelines suggest. But otherwise, I'll not be sweating the occasional close pass with runners, walkers, shoppers, kids on bikes, and folks glued to their phones.

The myth that there is virus in sweat keeps persisting as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

So what do we need to fall into place for a runner to pass it on to someone walking.

The most common complaint here is a runner not making way on a path, although I've yet to see that myself, let's just say that's the case. I assume they would have to be asymptomatic as why else would they feel okay to go for a run. So in that case maybe just by chance they get an itchy nose at the moment of passing and sneeze into the face of the person they're passing. Or maybe they just sneeze and its still in the air, the person decides to move their walking line into the runners line and some snot lands on them?

Am I close?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

So this thread continues until May 5th at least #ohjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

No change to restrictions either, off to do 10m on the footpath, cya!

IvoryTower wrote: »
    So what do we need to fall into place for a runner to pass it on to someone walking.

The runner would need to be living in the same house as the walker.

Otherwise any transmission isn't happening unless they both stop and cough into each others mouths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

robinph wrote: »
    The runner would need to be living in the same house as the walker.

Otherwise any transmission isn't happening unless they both stop and cough into each others mouths.

Dangerous lies.

Advertisement