Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running, Corona Virus and Social Distancing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,781 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Looks like everyone's at fault but yourself and you're really not enjoying your runs. Try 6am or 8pm when kids are asleep and families aren't out and about yet.

On the dog thing, just watch your step and who you're mouthing off to, a lot of parks operate off leash times during certain hours. Check your bylaws.

Dogs should be kept on leash at all times currently. That's the advice

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/customerservice/coronaviruscovid-19/faqsregardingcovid-19foranimalowners/

really have to time the required odd spit into the bush at the side well to ensure that you're not visible by any 3rd party or you may be shot on sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Dogs should be kept on leash at all times currently. That's the advice

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/customerservice/coronaviruscovid-19/faqsregardingcovid-19foranimalowners/

Most parks would require that anyhow. Our park has a dog play area, the only place he is allowed off and that's at 630am

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I was lying down in a park a few years back, minding my own business, resting my eyes while lying in the sun, when a slobbery smelly mut runs over to me and attempts to give me slobbery kiss. I'm pretty uncomfortable around random dogs, unless it's a dog I know. I reacted in fright and shouted at the dog. The dog owner, from 40m away, shouts at me "you're in a park, what do you expect?"

What a pr1ck.

My experience with SOME dog owners is that they do not give a sh*t about others and they expect everyone to love dogs as much as they do.

Probably barking up the wrong tree going after dog owners here. They can do no wrong and when anyone complains, it's because we are supposedly miserable people for not enjoying the uninvited company of their free roaming dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Chivito550 wrote: »
    They can do no wrong and when anyone complains

That could be said about just about every group on Boards; cyclists, motorists, dog owners, pedestrians, runners etc.

• Advertisement

That could be said about just about every group on Boards; cyclists, motorists, dog owners, pedestrians, runners etc.

Yep, but there's a real attitude among dog lovers that those that do not like dogs are miserable people.

I don't even hate dogs, I just don't like them enough to ever want to own one, and I don't enjoy random dogs invading my personal space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

I was going to post the same..

As a dog owning cyclist, who likes to run sometimes and drives a bit - its getting harder and harder to find a place on boards that I can post freely!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,892 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Problems with dogs and their owners where I run.

Many seem to think that public spaces are there for them and their dogs and to hell with everyone else.

No shortage of owners turning their backs on their dogs, talking on their phones instead of minding their dogs and of course not picking up their dog's sh1t.

Utter contempt for the fact that a lot of people don't want their dogs coming near them, especially in an aggressive manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

I used to like dogs but with all this corona virus and talk of wet markets i've cut right back lately.

Yep, but there's a real attitude among dog lovers that those that do not like dogs are miserable people.

I don't even hate dogs, I just don't like them enough to ever want to own one, and I don't enjoy random dogs invading my personal space.

I am a dog owner but would never of thought that. It's not right to generalize like that.

• Advertisement

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Problems with dogs and their owners where I run.

Many seem to think that public spaces are there for them and their dogs and to hell with everyone else.

No shortage of owners turning their backs on their dogs, talking on their phones instead of minding their dogs and of course not picking up their dog's sh1t.

Utter contempt for the fact that a lot of people don't want their dogs coming near them, especially in an aggressive manner.

Can say that for all. Runners, cyclists and etc

I am a dog owner but would never of thought that. It's not right to generalize like that.

I did emphasise the word "some" in my previous post.

I did emphasise the word "some" in my previous post.

But I do agree, my dog should never go near you unless you ask my permission first.

Saw a guy doing planks in the park, a labrador pup ran over and licked him, it gave him a shock, owner just called the dog and didn't even apologise. Couldn't believe it.

Mine is a labrador pup but we control him, always on the lead unless in the dog play area

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

If a dog runs up to you you should make room for it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

In your heart.

As he might have room in his belly for your leg🀣

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Pre Covid 19 lockdown, I used to drive to my local park and run on the grass. As I've switched to my 2km radius, I am using the roads completely. I realise I'm very lucky to still be able to run but anyone finding running only on the road so much more taxing on the body than the grass or is it just me??

Seannew1 wrote: »
    Pre Covid 19 lockdown, I used to drive to my local park and run on the grass. As I've switched to my 2km radius, I am using the roads completely. I realise I'm very lucky to still be able to run but anyone finding running only on the road so much more taxing on the body than the grass or is it just me??

grass is easier on your body obviously as it has more "give" and if you're not used to harder surfaces then it will be noticeable the next day or two after a run until you adapt

concrete is the worst and I try to avoid it as much as possible

tarmac is a lot easier than concrete I find

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

glasso wrote: »
    grass is easier on your body obviously as it has more "give" and if you're not used to harder surfaces then it will be noticeable the next day or two after a run until you adapt

concrete is the worst and I try to avoid it as much as possible

tarmac is a lot easier than concrete I find

Yeah exactly, don't know how some people train solely on the roads. I suppose your body gets accustomed to it after a while?? I'm definitely feeling it in my calves. They're a bit on the tight side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Seannew1 wrote: »

I used to do the majority of my training (certainly every session) in the Phoenix Park, 90% on the grass, would even cycle up to the park rather than run on concrete on the way and now the bulk of my training's on concrete, or else badly cambered tarmac. It's definitely hard on the body alright.

• Advertisement

I prefer to run on tarmac or gravel / packed sand / dirt path over grass actually.

I find grass too "mushy" / lacking feedback

Concrete as I said tho is just unpleasant on your body.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I was lying down in a park a few years back, minding my own business, resting my eyes while lying in the sun, when a slobbery smelly mut runs over to me and attempts to give me slobbery kiss. I'm pretty uncomfortable around random dogs, unless it's a dog I know. I reacted in fright and shouted at the dog. The dog owner, from 40m away, shouts at me "you're in a park, what do you expect?"

What a pr1ck.

My experience with SOME dog owners is that they do not give a sh*t about others and they expect everyone to love dogs as much as they do.

Probably barking up the wrong tree going after dog owners here. They can do no wrong and when anyone complains, it's because we are supposedly miserable people for not enjoying the uninvited company of their free roaming dog.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Cross posting from the main social distancing thread https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.04.20053058v1
    Case reports were extracted from the local Municipal Health Commissions of 320 prefectural cities (municipalities) in China, not including Hubei province, between 4 January and 11 February 2020. We identified all outbreaks involving three or more cases and reviewed the major characteristics of the enclosed spaces in which the outbreaks were reported and associated indoor environmental issues. Results: Three hundred and eighteen outbreaks with three or more cases were identified, involving 1245 confirmed cases in 120 prefectural cities. We divided the venues in which the outbreaks occurred into six categories: homes, transport, food, entertainment, shopping, and miscellaneous. Among the identified outbreaks, 53.8% involved three cases, 26.4% involved four cases, and only 1.6% involved ten or more cases. Home outbreaks were the dominant category (254 of 318 outbreaks; 79.9%), followed by transport (108; 34.0%; note that many outbreaks involved more than one venue category). Most home outbreaks involved three to five cases. We identified only a single outbreak in an outdoor environment, which involved two cases. Conclusions: All identified outbreaks of three or more cases occurred in an indoor environment, which confirms that sharing indoor space is a major SARS-CoV-2 infection risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Taken from the main Covid-19 thread.
    So far, no transmission of the virus in supermarkets, restaurants or hairdressers has been proved.”

“There is no significant risk of catching the disease when you go shopping. Severe outbreaks of the infection were always a result of people being closer together over a longer period of time, for example the après- ski parties in Ischgl, Austria.” He could also not find any evidence of ‘living’ viruses on surfaces. “When we took samples from door handles, phones or toilets it has not been possible to cultivate the virus in the laboratory on the basis of these swabs….”

Probably means the runners sweat on the street is a non-runner (pun intended!) never mind the fact that it isn't passed on via sweat in the first place ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Excellent news. Can't wait to start licking the soles of my shoes when I get back in from outside again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Coming in as the peanut gallery here having just read the thread, but I'm impressed by how many of you here work as lawyers and experts in the area of public health! Well on you for having such an active lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I haven't experienced any negativity as yet as a runner. I live on the edge of town and avoid the main street and the more popular walking routes at peak times. The roads are so much quieter now to step out and give plenty of social distance. Any other runners or cyclists I meet give a nod or a wave. I've noticed one guy who seems to have started up running in the past week or so. I'm finding I've more time for running even though I'm working full time from home. The 2km zone makes it interesting and have actually discovered new routes. Little things brighten up the day like doing laps of a sports field beside the retirement village and a few residents stood out on their balcony to watch and give a little cheer and a wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

The corona crusaders are very quiet lately, did we win?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

IvoryTower wrote: »

The fatties have very little staying power.
    Kind of like operation transformation in Jan and how it dies away when another fad comes along.
    Their ire this week is nursing homes and increasing techiness that garden centres aren't open.
    I think we are over the worst of it with them, let them eat cake!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

IvoryTower wrote: »

Not sure what you consider a Corona crusader, but regarding the park (St. Annes) where I experience close passing, we and a few locals have relinquished the popular tarmac areas & avenues, we're sticking to the lesser inhabited playing fields & grassy areas, pain in the arse with young kids and a buggy, but not worth the hassle.
    We run in the fields too.

If you consider that a "win" I guess it is.

I don't like this "locals only" attitude that's prevailing around the country when we're supposed to be pulling together by distancing and looking out for each other. There's plenty of apartment dwelling families that don't have gardens or green spaces to take their families to. But when we've people driving to popular/beauty spots/parklands & open spaces to exercise and refuse to adhere to distancing it's going to be a problem. It wouldn't be if they didn't misbehave.

St. Annes park has 270 acres of woodland, avenues, playing fields and meadows. There's lots of room, the meadows, woodlands & playing fields are empty, but people are insisting on exercising on the tarmac, the only terrain that's suitable for kids on bikes, scooters in buggies and prams. There was one guy sprinting up down the main avenue last week with a small parachute attached to him.

Gardai are taking down reg plates outside my house every day. I can only imagine they're looking at registered addresses for the cars and taking note. Hopefully all will not be punished for the few refusing to cooperate.

Advertisement