Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running, Corona Virus and Social Distancing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

The fatties have very little staying power.
    Kind of like operation transformation in Jan and how it dies away when another fad comes along.
    Their ire this week is nursing homes and increasing techiness that garden centres aren't open.
    I think we are over the worst of it with them, let them eat cake!

And we wonder why people are tempted to tar all runners with the same d!ckhead brush?

Nice comment for someone to read who may be carrying a bit of weight and want to get into fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I was lying down in a park a few years back, minding my own business, resting my eyes while lying in the sun, when a slobbery smelly mut runs over to me and attempts to give me slobbery kiss. I'm pretty uncomfortable around random dogs, unless it's a dog I know. I reacted in fright and shouted at the dog. The dog owner, from 40m away, shouts at me "you're in a park, what do you expect?"

What a pr1ck.

My experience with SOME dog owners is that they do not give a sh*t about others and they expect everyone to love dogs as much as they do.

Probably barking up the wrong tree going after dog owners here. They can do no wrong and when anyone complains, it's because we are supposedly miserable people for not enjoying the uninvited company of their free roaming dog.

I know you say SOME dog owners in one paragraph you then go on to the next paragraph to complain about ALL dog owners, I absoloutely agree they should be under control and poo should always be picked up. Sadly a MINORITY of Irish will not obey simple courtesy without legal repercussions which do not exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I know it won't make an ounce of difference to the moaners who want to ban running, but I'll post it anyway

COVID-19: Exercise may protect against deadly complication

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Not sure what you consider a Corona crusader, but regarding the park (St. Annes) where I experience close passing, we and a few locals have relinquished the popular tarmac areas & avenues, we're sticking to the lesser inhabited playing fields & grassy areas, pain in the arse with young kids and a buggy, but not worth the hassle.
    We run in the fields too.

If you consider that a "win" I guess it is.

I don't like this "locals only" attitude that's prevailing around the country when we're supposed to be pulling together by distancing and looking out for each other. There's plenty of apartment dwelling families that don't have gardens or green spaces to take their families to. But when we've people driving to popular/beauty spots/parklands & open spaces to exercise and refuse to adhere to distancing it's going to be a problem. It wouldn't be if they didn't misbehave.

St. Annes park has 270 acres of woodland, avenues, playing fields and meadows. There's lots of room, the meadows, woodlands & playing fields are empty, but people are insisting on exercising on the tarmac, the only terrain that's suitable for kids on bikes, scooters in buggies and prams. There was one guy sprinting up down the main avenue last week with a small parachute attached to him.

Gardai are taking down reg plates outside my house every day. I can only imagine they're looking at registered addresses for the cars and taking note. Hopefully all will not be punished for the few refusing to cooperate.

You wouldn't mind asking him where he got the parachute?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

I know it won't make an ounce of difference to the moaners who want to ban running, but I'll post it anyway

COVID-19: Exercise may protect against deadly complication

It doesn't endorse running specifically. It endorses cardiovascular exercise and says cardio exercise can help produce the Antioxidant EcSod which helps people fight ARDs(Acute Respiratory Disease Syndrome).

Unless running can be done in isolation it increases the risk of spreading or catching Covid so another method of cardio exercise that can be done in isolation is a better solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Like I said. I knew it wouldn't make an ounce of difference to the moaners.

I spent 40min on the rower yesterday and my head was still fried. Need that fresh air hit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Hope Boardsies are getting on okay with the Covid-19 lockdown. I'm lucky to live in the countryside with lots of options within the 2k limit. Can't wait to get back to outside that limit in due course. I heard mention this morning on the radio of a suggestion of the 2k limit being extended at the end of this phase. Even a couple more km will give a lot more options.

Looking further ahead its hard to envisage any races happening in the foreseeable future. Many races postponed will almost inevitably be cancelled it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Simon Harris said he would like to see it extended but that ultimately it wouldn't be his call to make. Have to wait and see. My hope is that they remove it entirely and focus on metering traffic in and out of hotspots.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Like I said. I knew it wouldn't make an ounce of difference to the moaners.

The thread is full of joggers moaning about families out exercising. I'm pretty sure anyone exercising is fully aware of the benefits of being fit when facing any illness from cancer to C-19 so you're preaching to the converted. Wrong thread, wrong forum.

Edit.. regarding the dog dropping problem, it's disgusting and I've called dog owners out on it. The new epidemic seems to be bagging the dog droppings in plastic bags and discarding them when nobodies looking. A minority I'd imagine, but a problem non the less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

The thread is full of joggers moaning about families out exercising. I'm pretty sure anyone exercising is fully aware of the benefits of being fit when facing any illness from cancer to C-19 so you're preaching to the converted. Wrong thread, wrong forum.

No, no it isn’t. It was mentioned a couple of times by a couple of people. This isn’t an us versus them situation, most of us have families, we know how kids run and ride bikes and need to be given a wide birth accordingly. Hell some of us runners are sometimes walkers. I said it at the beginning of the thread, it’s about common sense, often the least common of the senses.

sideswipe wrote: »
    No, no it isn’t. It was mentioned a couple of times by a couple of people. This isn’t an us versus them situation, most of us have families, we know how kids run and ride bikes and need to be given a wide birth accordingly. Hell some of us runners are sometimes walkers. I said it at the beginning of the thread, it’s about common sense, often the least common of the senses.

I haven't counted the amount of joggers on this thread complaining about families, kids, dog walkers etc... but I'm getting a sense of perceived priority from some joggers that feel the path should be cleared for them exclusively. I think some of the more obtuse posts have been deleted.

I haven't counted the amount of joggers on this thread complaining about families, kids, dog walkers etc... but I'm getting a sense of perceived priority from some joggers that feel the path should be cleared for them exclusively. I think some of the more obtuse posts have been deleted.

Long before anybody had heard of covid-19 dogs on extendable leads have been causing problems for runners, it’s just one of those things. As for anybody thinking the path should be cleared for them? That is BS in my humble opinion. I’m not hear to defend anybody, there is no secret code which means we have to defend each other here. But I know a lot of runners and none of them fit the picture you are painting.
    Then again I’m talking about runners, your issue seems to be with joggers, I can’t speak for them as I don’t know any:)

Long before anybody had heard of covid-19 dogs on extendable leads have been causing problems for runners, it’s just one of those things. As for anybody thinking the path should be cleared for them? That is BS in my humble opinion. I’m not hear to defend anybody, there is no secret code which means we have to defend each other here. But I know a lot of runners and none of them fit the picture you are painting.
    Then again I’m talking about runners, your issue seems to be with joggers, I can’t speak for them as I don’t know any:)

I'm speaking from personal experience and from what's being posted on this thread. Runners/joggers? I'm not getting in the the semantics, snobbery or superiority issues of who's a runner and who's a jogger etc... I was't aware of runners looking down on runners that they consider joggers or joggers that look down on what people consider themselves runners. It's a time for mutual respect and pulling together by distancing.

I'm speaking from personal experience and from what's being posted on this thread. Runners/joggers? I'm not getting in the the semantics, snobbery or superiority issues of who's a runner and who's a jogger etc... I was't aware of runners looking down on runners that they consider joggers or joggers that look down on what people consider themselves runners. It's a time for mutual respect and pulling together by distancing.

It was a joke...... sorry if it got in the way of your virtue signalling. This thread has done about 20 circles at this stage. There is nobody here saying it is not time for mutual respect and distancing, most regular contributions have simply been saying that it can be done while still participating in our mutual hobby.....running.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I was lying down in a park a few years back, minding my own business, resting my eyes while lying in the sun, when a slobbery smelly mut runs over to me and attempts to give me slobbery kiss. I'm pretty uncomfortable around random dogs, unless it's a dog I know. I reacted in fright and shouted at the dog. The dog owner, from 40m away, shouts at me "you're in a park, what do you expect?"

What a pr1ck.

My experience with SOME dog owners is that they do not give a sh*t about others and they expect everyone to love dogs as much as they do.

Probably barking up the wrong tree going after dog owners here. They can do no wrong and when anyone complains, it's because we are supposedly miserable people for not enjoying the uninvited company of their free roaming dog.

I really dislike these people....utter pr1cks....No issue with a dog off a lead (within reason) when it is safe and free and empty, and the dog is controlled and obeys etc; but these pr1cks who allow their dogs off leads when children and others are about need a good spanking....

It all comes down to common sense and judgment.....Unfortunately so many are missing both.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

98% of joggers are fine, one person out running who gets out of the way of others ,
    Now don't get me started on families with kids on F*cking scooters taking up the whole path , No one has any room to pass them,

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

98% of joggers are fine, one person out running who gets out of the way of others ,
    Now don't get me started on families with kids on F*cking scooters taking up the whole path , No one has any room to pass them,

You'd think you'd have squeezed that extra 1 percent and given it 99 percent.....sounds better....:P

walshb wrote: »
    You'd think you'd have squeezed that extra 1 percent and given it 99 percent.....sounds better....:P

:D I thought 99 might be a bit optimistic

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Dublin councils have asked that people exercising, if they could avoid the park from 12-6 it would help.

You won't get too much scooters early in the morning or evening time.

• Advertisement

Dublin councils have asked that people exercising, if they could avoid the park from 12-6 it would help.

You won't get too much scooters early in the morning or evening time.

You can exercise without a scooter ?

It was a joke...... sorry if it got in the way of your virtue signalling. This thread has done about 20 circles at this stage. There is nobody here saying it is not time for mutual respect and distancing, most regular contributions have simply been saying that it can be done while still participating in our mutual hobby.....running.

Fair enough.

The circle continues. ^ :o

Fair enough.

The circle continues. ^ :o

Its just courtesy, I have a number of children and there's no way id be taking them down the local park on scooters or bikes ,
    They can't help but get in everyone's way ,
    If we are going to the park they are walking end off,

These are not normal times and everyone should be doing there bit

Its just courtesy, I have a number of children and there's no way id be taking them down the local park on scooters or bikes ,
    They can't help but get in everyone's way ,
    If we are going to the park they are walking end off,

These are not normal times and everyone should be doing there bit

Exactly so maybe runners should keep out of parks during peak times

• Registered Users Posts: 45,952 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I've only started jogging (managing a slow 5.5km), but if i'm not out the door by 8.30 at the weekend I won't go. (during the week it is fine as I am out the door by 7.30 so I'm back, showered and fed before work starts)

The roads/paths are quiet before then, so I can easily jog on the road (against traffic) where there is either no path or there is someone walking on the path.

I'd take the same view re. a local park, if I can't get there when it is quiet, I wouldn't go.

I've only started jogging (managing a slow 5.5km), but if i'm not out the door by 8.30 at the weekend I won't go. (during the week it is fine as I am out the door by 7.30 so I'm back, showered and fed before work starts)

The roads/paths are quiet before then, so I can easily jog on the road (against traffic) where there is either no path or there is someone walking on the path.

I'd take the same view re. a local park, if I can't get there when it is quiet, I wouldn't go.

I packed in the earlier runs and Iv been later ones at 9pm on busy roads id never ever be able to run before, Its actually really nice and peaceful

Exactly so maybe runners should keep out of parks during peak times

I don't run in the parks for this reason but I walk there with the kids and bikes and scooters are still a nightmare,
    Don't get me started on the family I came across with there picnic In the middle of a 40ft by 3ft bridge absolute gobsh*tes

Im jacking the early morning runs, it's great for avoiding people but it means you're stuck in the house all day wanting to murder your family, if I get out during the day it breaks it up and I can tolerate them for the day. If i have to sacrifice a few walkers so be it

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Im jacking the early morning runs, it's great for avoiding people but it means you're stuck in the house all day wanting to murder your family, if I get out during the day it breaks it up and I can tolerate them for the day. If i have to sacrifice a few walkers so be it

Totally understand and everyone's head is different.

I am loving the early runs, then I work from home.
    To be honest I am enjoying the whole new slow down lifestyle.

Would like to visit my dad and for the kids to play with their friends, but it will come

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

To be honest I am enjoying the whole new slow down lifestyle.

Grrrr.

Must remain calm.

Can't wait for everyone else to bugger off out of MY home office and get back to their regular offices and school. Then I might be able to get some work done.

That's when I'll get a slowdown in lifestyle again.

Advertisement