Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running, Corona Virus and Social Distancing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

You can exercise without a scooter ?

You can exercise without running too... it cuts both ways.

Or maybe just realise it's a case of each to their own and that everyone needs to accomodate everyone else. Kids have feckall spatial awareness, dogs will always dart across you (lead or not), gobsh1tes will always congregate at pinchpoints - these were hazards before corona will will continue to be afterwards.

Personally I'll avoid parks and popular trails during daytime hours where I can as that's when most families and older folks will need them. If I want to run in the day I'll use the quiet residential roads, if I want to run in the park I'll go out in the morning/evening.

Reading the sheer amount of vitriolic rubbish being posted in this thread (and ones like it elsewhere) makes me wonder am I the sole reasonable person left in the world. Thankfully, stepping away from the screen and going out and seeing people greeting each other as they pass, generally trying to accomodate each other and mostly reaslising that we're all in this together (and all have to adapt what we're doing) reminds me that I'm not.

If you go out looking to be aggravated or expecting everyone else out there to make adjustments so you can carry on as before, then all your doing is spoiling your own precious outdoor time...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

BeardySi wrote: »
    You can exercise without running too... it cuts both ways.

Or maybe just realise it's a case of each to their own and that everyone needs to accomodate everyone else. Kids have feckall spatial awareness, dogs will always dart across you (lead or not), gobsh1tes will always congregate at pinchpoints - these were hazards before corona will will continue to be afterwards.

Personally I'll avoid parks and popular trails during daytime hours where I can as that's when most families and older folks will need them. If I want to run in the day I'll use the quiet residential roads, if I want to run in the park I'll go out in the morning/evening.

Reading the sheer amount of vitriolic rubbish being posted in this thread (and ones like it elsewhere) makes me wonder am I the sole reasonable person left in the world. Thankfully, stepping away from the screen and going out and seeing people greeting each other as they pass, generally trying to accomodate each other and mostly reaslising that we're all in this together (and all have to adapt what we're doing) reminds me that I'm not.

If you go out looking to be aggravated or expecting everyone else out there to make adjustments so you can carry on as before, then all your doing is spoiling your own precious outdoor time...

But you run or walk its just YOU , It doesn't really make a difference what speed your traveling at your not taking up paths with unneeded accessories like scooters,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Some more righteous anger teeth gnashing...

Yesterday I cross the road to enter the park. Some bozo comes out and stands there so I stand well away politely waiting for him to go wherever before I enter the park (because there's not enough space at the gates to maintain social distancing). Then he turns my direction and starts walking towards me. The footpath runs out so there's nowhere for me to go. I'm thinking why on earth does he decide to cross the footpath here where I am when he could do so conveniently at any other point. Hey ho hum better get out of dodge. He had this smirk on his face as he approached so I crossed the road, as soon as I'm on the other side of the road he turns back and stands back at the gates waiting for a car to collect him. What a giant fcking douchebag with mind games.

Also ironically after my dog rant last week the only transgressor of the social distancing protocol was in fact another runner who almost ran on top of me while breathing out (unnecessarily) if it weren't for the fact that I practiced evasive manoeuvres

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

A runner in Italy beaten up by a father and son because he was 100m from his house without a mask on.

The attackers didn't have masks on either, but they called the police after the attack due to the person they had attacked not wearing a mask.

https://www.marathonworld.it/runner-picchiato-padova-coronavirus.html?fbclid=IwAR1IflQ0n8L3MVfTtL8BizsTslRNDiveyORn4MPIzXbLYB8c_ukKP-xJ27A

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

What a giant fcking douchebag with mind games.

I'd bet he wasn't paying attention, never mind mind games.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Some more righteous anger teeth gnashing...

Yesterday I cross the road to enter the park. Some bozo comes out and stands there so I stand well away politely waiting for him to go wherever before I enter the park (because there's not enough space at the gates to maintain social distancing). Then he turns my direction and starts walking towards me. The footpath runs out so there's nowhere for me to go. I'm thinking why on earth does he decide to cross the footpath here where I am when he could do so conveniently at any other point. Hey ho hum better get out of dodge. He had this smirk on his face as he approached so I crossed the road, as soon as I'm on the other side of the road he turns back and stands back at the gates waiting for a car to collect him. What a giant fcking douchebag with mind games.

Also ironically after my dog rant last week the only transgressor of the social distancing protocol was in fact another runner who almost ran on top of me while breathing out (unnecessarily) if it weren't for the fact that I practiced evasive manoeuvres

Think at that point once back across the road I'd start coughing and spluttering violently as walking slowly back towards the park gate and see if they really do want to continue the game of chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,892 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

BeardySi wrote: »
    dogs will always dart across you (lead or not)

Not if they are properly under control which they should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Not if they are properly under control which they should be.

If there's one thing years of cycle commuting and running have taught me it's to expect kids and dogs to suddenly move in a random direction at any time...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

robinph wrote: »
    A runner in Italy beaten up by a father and son because he was 100m from his house without a mask on.

The attackers didn't have masks on either, but they called the police after the attack due to the person they had attacked not wearing a mask.

https://www.marathonworld.it/runner-picchiato-padova-coronavirus.html?fbclid=IwAR1IflQ0n8L3MVfTtL8BizsTslRNDiveyORn4MPIzXbLYB8c_ukKP-xJ27A

Wow that's something else. A dead man doing an interview.

Sam Hain wrote: »
    Wow that's something else. A dead man doing an interview.

Think the translation is a bit dodgy. Actual Italian speaker translation I got the story through just referred to a broken nose and "other injuries".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

robinph wrote: »
    Think the translation is a bit dodgy. Actual Italian speaker translation I got the story through just referred to a broken nose and "other injuries".

Google translate says he was beaten to death. The story looks a bit fishy tbh. Probably nothing to do with running.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Am I the only one that rather than asking people to move I dramatically breath hard coming up behind people. 99 times out fo a 100 they move to the side. I always stop breathing hard when they move as I am going easy. This has made my running experience much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

rom wrote: »
    Am I the only one that rather than asking people to move I dramatically breath hard coming up behind people. 99 times out fo a 100 they move to the side. I always stop breathing hard when they move as I am going easy. This has made my running experience much better.

Don’t know if you’re the only one, but I certainly don’t do this. Shout a warning, or kick some gravel maybe, or drag shoes to make noise. Usually works and you don’t look like a dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I shout get the **** out of the way you slow bastards ,it actually works, try it next time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Yep a little shout ahead. I had it the other day two lads walking together on a path with cycle path so perhaps 2.5m wide. I shouted ahead and they both went one each side which would have meant going through the middle within a metre of each. So stopped and motioned for them to be on one side which they did.

Usually most people will hear the footsteps approaching behind and look to move. But generally as a runner I am moving faster and outside their view so I think its more up to me to move wide or signal better to people ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

chris85 wrote: »
    But generally as a runner I am moving faster and outside their view so I think its more up to me to move wide or signal better to people ahead.

This

As mentioned previously, my route is through the local industrial estate so I tend not to see too many people. If I do, I just take the lead and make the effort to get out of their way. Life is too short to play games of will they won't they.

That said, I am amazed at the amount of people that seem absolutely oblivious to social distancing. On one of my runs, which is on a fairly wide road, four lanes (2 bus lanes), there was no one about other than a guy out for a walk with his kid. We were on opposite sides of the road and he decided to cross over just before I got to them. I had to go out on the road to keep social distancing. A bit frustrating but not the worst thing to ever happen to me.

Also surprised at the amount of cyclists using the footpaths, especially considering that traffic is very very light at the moment. On my last run, on the same stretch as above, I had to go out on the road to avoid two cyclists. One was taking no prisoners and just whizzed by, the other just came to a stop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

rom wrote: »

What a horrible, selfish thing to do

Have a little patience and respect

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Sussex18

The amount of people in shops who basically walk into me as though I wasn't even there is very high.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I didn't want to post in this thread again but I do think this might be illuminating to some who seem to think runners should all be locked up and the keys thrown away at this time.

This is scholarly research, no he said she said, not some attention seeing power mad politician said: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.04.20053058v1
    Three hundred and eighteen outbreaks with three or more cases were identified, involving 1245 confirmed cases in 120 prefectural cities. We divided the venues in which the outbreaks occurred into six categories: homes, transport, food, entertainment, shopping, and miscellaneous. Among the identified outbreaks, 53.8% involved three cases, 26.4% involved four cases, and only 1.6% involved ten or more cases. Home outbreaks were the dominant category (254 of 318 outbreaks; 79.9%), followed by transport (108; 34.0%; note that many outbreaks involved more than one venue category). Most home outbreaks involved three to five cases. We identified only a single outbreak in an outdoor environment, which involved two cases.

No, people running outdoors isn't going to bring the zombie apocalypse upon us anytime soon.
    No doubt this will totally fall on deaf ears for those that want everyone locked up cowering behind their curtains until there is a vaccine, so be it.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

They have put signs up in our park, indicating go one way around. Runners are obeying and walkers are not :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Running requires self discipline and willpower so it's not surprising runners are more willing to exercise that self control feature they've built up to follow social distancing measures, whereas other, more feckless people have not.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Also surprised at the amount of cyclists using the footpaths, especially considering that traffic is very very light at the moment. On my last run, on the same stretch as above, I had to go out on the road to avoid two cyclists. One was taking no prisoners and just whizzed by, the other just came to a stop.

About an hour after this post I went for a run. On the same stretch of road as above, two cyclists on the opposite side of the road on the pavement crossed over to my side and went up onto the pavement and whizzed by me. Had to avoid them by stepping into the grass. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,892 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Running requires self discipline and willpower so it's not surprising runners are more willing to exercise that self control feature they've built up to follow social distancing measures, whereas other, more feckless people have not.

Runners out running cos it's what they do.

Lot of walkers out cos they are bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

John Tracey speaks: https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1253700266618167296 there is hope

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

echancrure wrote: »

Hope indeed but even Tracy said it is out of his hands. I'd love even if the parkruns were started up again in June for something to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Good to see you come around stockshares, thread success

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

A lot of people, including runners, just pass to close. Staying on the same footpath is usually too close, it's really as simple as that.
    Get off the footpath a good 40m before you pass me, it makes it really obvious where you will be and at this stage drivers are well used to sharing their space.

It's more unnerving with runners as they moving more quickly.

I don't think there's even a low risk of transmitting active virus in the act of running past me at 1m but the current guideline restrictions state 2m, just follow the current advice. Everyone, not just runners..

I think I have missed page after page of people giving out to each other so wanted a go. Thanks!

When out running I make it super obvious that I am getting out of your way with a big curve onto the road, walker types. And I don't run down the inside of railings, ever.

When out walking I cannot believe the amount of runners who just keep running in straight lines towards walkers, dog walkers, families...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

echancrure wrote: »

Competitive running is not a non contact sport in the main, outside of sprinting. In many cases, it literally brings thousands of people in to close contact. For longer distances you're also likely to spend all that time with more or less the same people for a considerable amount of time if you end up running in a group.

Advertisement