Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running, Corona Virus and Social Distancing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Peterx

Recent mood music from the top table makes it increasingly more likely that the 2km restriction might be retained, which is an absolute pain for people who cannot run in the hills as a result.
    Some of that mood music is a reflection of all sorts of people, including runners, not managing to maintain a 2m gap.

Competitive running is not a non contact sport in the main, outside of sprinting. In many cases, it literally brings thousands of people in to close contact. For longer distances you're also likely to spend all that time with more or less the same people for a considerable amount of time if you end up running in a group.

Orienteering, golf, time trial type events will be first back I'd presume.
    Can't see a sweaty mass start road race back too soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Peterx wrote: »
    Orienteering, golf, time trial type events will be first back I'd presume.
    Can't see a sweaty mass start road race back too soon.

Some time trial type events wouldn't be bad. Not sure some of our tracks have the 2 meters wide for social distancing though :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Some time trial type events wouldn't be bad. Not sure some of our tracks have the 2 meters wide for social distancing though :eek:

The 2 meters thing is a good easy to understand concept, but think it will need to be changed to 2 meters when you are facing each other and having a chat.

I really can't see how it matters if you are 2 meters away from someone else when you are stood in a queue or running behind them and just staring at their back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

robinph wrote: »
    The 2 meters thing is a good easy to understand concept, but think it will need to be changed to 2 meters when you are facing each other and having a chat.

I really can't see how it matters if you are 2 meters away from someone else when you are stood in a queue or running behind them and just staring at their back.

That "study" that was up earlier in thread said you were fine to run beside someone but not behind, if they cough or sneeze it will land on person coming through, not beside them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Competitive running is not a non contact sport in the main, outside of sprinting. In many cases, it literally brings thousands of people in to close contact. For longer distances you're also likely to spend all that time with more or less the same people for a considerable amount of time if you end up running in a group.

Limit numbers per race. Have 6 in an 800 instead of 8-10. Have 8 in a 1500 instead of 12-15. Pacemakers for all races to stretch out the field.

We must adapt rather than just do nothing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

IvoryTower wrote: »
    That "study" that was up earlier in thread said you were fine to run beside someone but not behind, if they cough or sneeze it will land on person coming through, not beside them

Which reminds me of the other curious thing about that "study". Whilst it's "obvious" that running behind someone and you'll get covered in snot, what Nike/ Ineos/ Kipchoge found for the sub 2 attempt was that the inverted V shape was actually a better wind shield to run behind with each person running to the side rather than directly behind the person in front.

It's essentially the same thing that the Belgian study and Kipchoge were making use of, but came up with different conclusions. One saying run to the side / behind to get the best shelter and the other saying run to the side to avoid snot.

Very slight difference in the positioning, but they can't both be right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Isn't the inverted V how birds fly when in formation?

They might be on to something. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Peterx wrote:
    Get off the footpath a good 40m before you pass me, it makes it really obvious where you will be and at this stage drivers are well used to sharing their space.

Don't suppose it ever crossed your mind to move out 40m before you passed them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

A lot of people, including runners, just pass to close. Staying on the same footpath is usually too close, it's really as simple as that.
    Get off the footpath a good 40m before you pass me, it makes it really obvious where you will be and at this stage drivers are well used to sharing their space.

It's more unnerving with runners as they moving more quickly.

I don't think there's even a low risk of transmitting active virus in the act of running past me at 1m but the current guideline restrictions state 2m, just follow the current advice. Everyone, not just runners..

I think I have missed page after page of people giving out to each other so wanted a go. Thanks!

When out running I make it super obvious that I am getting out of your way with a big curve onto the road, walker types. And I don't run down the inside of railings, ever.

When out walking I cannot believe the amount of runners who just keep running in straight lines towards walkers, dog walkers, families...

To be honest out my way it's the walkers causing the issues. Stopping on bridges and blocking footpaths to have a chat. Not following the one way signs in the park, while the runners are.

We all need to work together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭echat

rom wrote: »
    Am I the only one that rather than asking people to move I dramatically breath hard coming up behind people. 99 times out fo a 100 they move to the side. I always stop breathing hard when they move as I am going easy. This has made my running experience much better.

Are you wearing a face mask to catch your water droplets when you do the breathing hard thing and some tissues if you blow your nose. You must enjoy meeting those elderly vulnerable people who are afraid of catching Covid-19.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,757 ✭✭✭Trampas

I went out for a walk yesterday afternoon and saw more people in first 5 minutes and got closer to them than I did all week running. Saw 1 person today out walking and that was last few minutes off my cool down.

Great to see the best rd in the country show what can be done in 2km radius

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

BaZmO* wrote: »
    About an hour after this post I went for a run. On the same stretch of road as above, two cyclists on the opposite side of the road on the pavement crossed over to my side and went up onto the pavement and whizzed by me. Had to avoid them by stepping into the grass. :confused:

Surprised that your surprised about cyclists.
    Regular occurrence that they use footpaths with little or no consideration for anyone.
    Notable reduction in their numbers recently, but you probably noted their unwelcome return over the last few days.

Even at that they should vacate the cycle lanes in current circumstances - inches away from people on footpaths..

On the issue of running, you are not “entitled” to pass anyone, so if you want to pass, then you accommodate the other person.

If you “meet “ someone then be clear where you are going - you are approaching at speed - so you need to show more care and consideration. They may be “lost in thought”

I don’t think there is much of an issue anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

On the issue of running, you are not “entitled” to pass anyone, so if you want to pass, then you accommodate the other person.

If you “meet “ someone then be clear where you are going - you are approaching at speed - so you need to show more care and consideration. They may be “lost in thought”

I don’t think there is much of an issue anyway.

Well the fact you are separating people who are running vs people who are walking in this scenario is, quite frankly, odd.

Essentially saying that based on the speed you're moving, it's up to you to give way/alter your course if you're moving faster than someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

Trampas wrote: »
    I went out for a walk yesterday afternoon and saw more people in first 5 minutes and got closer to them than I did all week running.

Went to Tesco yesterday morning around 7.30. Was there less than 30 mins.

I was closer to more people in the period when I have all week going out running/taking the dog out for a walk.

Well the fact you are separating people who are running vs people who are walking in this scenario is, quite frankly, odd.

Essentially saying that based on the speed you're moving, it's up to you to give way/alter your course if you're moving faster than someone else.

That's exactly what I am doing. I think if everyone did it as a rule we'd know have a better idea of other people's movements.
    When running I curve onto the roadway to get out of the way of everyone else and when walking (usually with a buggy in tow in fairness) I expect runners to get off the path - and like the venerable goldfish I am constantly surprised by the runners that do stay on the path.
    And I wheel my entourage onto the road to get out of the way of people who are slower than us.

The meeting many people in the supermarkets is a funny one but not a fair comparison, we all need to eat and we don't control access to the supermarkets. LIDL have started only allowing x amount of people into the store and it does make it easier to avoid people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Great to see that many runners/joggers will move out of the way. But many don't or won't sadly.

Spread the word, not the virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,833 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

That's exactly what I am doing. I think if everyone did it as a rule we'd know have a better idea of other people's movements.
    When running I curve onto the roadway to get out of the way of everyone else and when walking (usually with a buggy in tow in fairness) I expect runners to get off the path - and like the venerable goldfish I am constantly surprised by the runners that do stay on the path.
    And I wheel my entourage onto the road to get out of the way of people who are slower than us.

The meeting many people in the supermarkets is a funny one but not a fair comparison, we all need to eat and we don't control access to the supermarkets. LIDL have started only allowing x amount of people into the store and it does make it easier to avoid people.

Same here. I use a fast long skateboard or an electronic one. I go faster than pedestrians including runners and as a fast moving person I feel I have a duty of care to carve around people slower than me and give them over 2 metres of distancing. I don't expect them to clear the path for me. Even if it means hopping off the board and going on to unsuitable terrain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Great to see that many runners/joggers walkers will move out of the way. But many don't or won't sadly.

Spread the word, not the virus.

Yup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

4.5m the new 2m for runners!

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/fitness/for-runners-is-4-5m-the-new-2m-for-social-distancing-1.4235266

Although "The study has not yet been published in a peer-reviewed journal, and the results need further confirmation." So take out of that what you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭plodder

4.5m the new 2m for runners!

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/fitness/for-runners-is-4-5m-the-new-2m-for-social-distancing-1.4235266

Although "The study has not yet been published in a peer-reviewed journal, and the results need further confirmation." So take out of that what you want.
    I thought we had flattened the curve and passed peak hysteria against runners. Looks like we're about to get a second wave of it :rolleyes:

plodder wrote: »
    I thought we had flattened the curve and passed peak hysteria against runners. Looks like we're about to get a second wave of it :rolleyes:

The community cases are very low and virus is at its lowest rates in the public.
    Sadly its the nursey homes and frontline staff that have the virus now. That is why so much focus is on those areas.

A second wave could come if we don't put everyone that enters or leaves our country into quarantine for 2 weeks.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

But the study, which has now been posted in full online, did not look at coronavirus particles specifically or how they are carried in respiratory droplets in real-life conditions. Nor does it prove or even suggest that infection risks rise if you do wind up temporarily strolling behind a panting runner.

mmm. They don't mention that in their sensationalist headline.

How did it take them two weeks to repeat the same nonsense headlines about a nonsense "study" about runners getting covered in snot?

I guess it does show some forward planning that they saved the article for so long before printing as they knew nothing much would have changed. What other month old stories are they going to print next week?

The community cases are very low and virus is at its lowest rates in the public.
    Sadly its the nursey homes and frontline staff that have the virus now. That is why so much focus is on those areas.

A second wave could come if we don't put everyone that enters or leaves our country into quarantine for 2 weeks.
    There's a much better article by Chris Johns also in today's Irish Times. It's not about running but it gives an interesting take on how life might be able to resume in some fashion, and it takes a starting point from what we actually know about how it's transmitted, rather than this kind of hysterical nonsense.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/chris-johns-ban-all-tomorrow-s-parties-to-save-the-economy-1.4238332

There's a much better article by Chris Johns also in today's Irish Times. It's not about running but it gives an interesting take on how life might be able to resume in some fashion, and it takes a starting point from what we actually know about how it's transmitted, rather than this kind of hysterical nonsense.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/chris-johns-ban-all-tomorrow-s-parties-to-save-the-economy-1.4238332

Nothing hysterical in my post. Quarantine is something that we must adopt. New Zealand are doing the same thing

Nothing hysterical in my post. Quarantine is something that we must adopt. New Zealand are doing the same thing
    Sorry, I didn't mean your post. I meant the other article in the IT :o

Sorry, I didn't mean your post. I meant the other article in the IT :o

News media having slow days lately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Sometimes you wouldn't want to be within 20 metres if I release one out of the exhaust pipe

Advertisement