Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running, Corona Virus and Social Distancing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

What, you mean that one? https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113232036&postcount=1123

Which is 1) still there if you had bothered to look for it and 2) doesn't actually mention coughing.

Other than that, keep going.

It says a lot about some of the Moderators on this forum that the post wasnt condemned. That poster behaved like a bully and nothing was said by many of the mods.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

A change in tone regarding the social distancing starting to be gradually introduced in the UK I noticed this morning. They had a minor minister on to chat on Breakfast (defence wouldn't normally be minor, but at the moment they are) and they were being used to say things such as the 2meter rule doesn't really matter as much as the duration.

We knew that anyway, and the main reason for the 2meter thing is to keep it simple so that people pick the message up easily, can easily see that they are complying and by it being 2meters you allow for it not really mattering if people are only actually 1meter apart. This morning the minister was saying that the duration that you are close to someone is just as important, if not more. Things will start to become a bit more nuanced from here and that then allows for different social distancing in different situations.

Like running around a park is completely different to sitting in an office for 8 hours a day.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It says a lot about some of the Moderators on this forum that the post wasnt condemned. That poster behaved like a bully and nothing was said by many of the mods.

There is nothing to be condemned from that post. The breathing heavily/ coughing/ running more loudly on gravel/ splashing through a puddle are all common ways of gently alerting people that you are approaching from behind of your presence without frightening them. Any kind of shout or call will be misheard and taken as aggressive, it's difficult to get the tone of voice right when running and the person you are approaching will usually mishear you anyway as it takes their ears time to tune into your voice.

I've much practice at alerting people to my approach when running, and by far the best is having the kid in the buggy singing christmas songs. But that's not always practical for me to take the buggy out on every run, and they don't always sing when I need them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

juke wrote: »
    Bull****, you clearly have an agenda. That simply hasn’t happened.

An agenda against runners? Hilarious. Can assure you it did happen. Why so defensive I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

robinph wrote: »
    There is nothing to be condemned from that post. The breathing heavily/ coughing/ running more loudly on gravel/ splashing through a puddle are all common ways of gently alerting people that you are approaching from behind of your presence without frightening them. Any kind of shout or call will be misheard and taken as aggressive, it's difficult to get the tone of voice right when running and the person you are approaching will usually mishear you anyway as it takes their ears time to tune into your voice.

I've much practice at alerting people to my approach when running, and by far the best is having the kid in the buggy singing christmas songs. But that's not always practical for me to take the buggy out on every run, and they don't always sing when I need them too.

You have misread the tone of that posters post.

You might be trying to alert someone but the other poster was clearly being a bully.

• Advertisement

You have misread the tone of that posters post.

You might be trying to alert someone but the other poster was clearly being a bully.

There was absolutely nothing bullying about their actions, posters were merely discussing different tactics for making ourselves heard when approaching other people on trails so that they don't get scared and fall in ditches as they jump.

Think you may need to do the re-reading of the posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

There was absolutely nothing bullying about their actions, posters were merely discussing different tactics for making ourselves heard when approaching other people on trails so that they don't get scared and fall in ditches as they jump.

Think you may need to do the re-reading of the posts.

I know there are a few new posters here who are possibly stirring things but I just checked out that post and in the current climate and in the context of the subject of this thread I thought the post was dodgy, at best.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I find cyclists are the worst. On Saturday I saw a trio of them cycle up on top of two dog walkers and push them aside. Ignoring social distancing for the moment, that's just extremely ignorant in itself. Families of cyclists don't socially distance at all. I think there should be new regulations introduced to ban cyclists from parks, they don't seem to cycle on the grass when they can and instead insist on using the paths, forcing walkers off etc. I have to check my back all the time to see if they're coming up on me. Walkers/dog walkers are hit and miss. 99% of them make no effort to socially distance, it's seldom but welcomed when some do though. Dogs will always raise the alarm but I'm finding a lot of problems lie with cyclists. Or with people who openly cough, that's nuts of them to do so considering the circumstances.

Cyclists should really be taking this opportunity to reclaim the roads back from the cars whilst traffic is reduced. Let the footpaths be used by people using their feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

It’s gas the way people come into this thread thinking everyone they see out running hangs out here.
    I run the same roads year round in all weathers, 357 days last year. In the last two months I’ve seen an explosion in people running in my area. I usually know everyone now it’s usually 1 in 3.
    Since gyms and team sports have been curtailed a lot of these people have taken to running, good on them.
    I just wanted to point this out to those coming in with axes to grid about ‘runners’.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

fr336 wrote: »
    An agenda against runners? Hilarious. Can assure you it did happen. Why so defensive I wonder.

Not defensive. Just calling out a troll post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

I'm delighted that from today I can run on the main roads again. The amount of people walking on our road (a lot not from the area) walking 2 and 3 abreast and not moving in was starting to increase. It costs nothing to just move in a few centimetres.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

micar wrote: »
    I call bullsh1t€ on this as well.

I have not met I inconsiderate person out walking or running.....either I've moved over or they have moved over and always in plenty of time.

This is not true either, I've seen and experienced it. Like I said previously, there's dicks using all forms of transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Cyclists should really be taking this opportunity to reclaim the roads back from the cars whilst traffic is reduced. Let the footpaths be used by people using their feet.

Seems that Paris is thinking along those lines with streets being made cyclist only as they release the lockdown and saying that it may become permanent on some roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Went for a run along the canal yesterday. It was an absolute mess with the amount of people out for a walk / fish along it. People clustering due to meeting in opposite direction, and/or catching up on each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Went for a run along the canal yesterday. It was an absolute mess with the amount of people out for a walk / fish along it. People clustering due to meeting in opposite direction, and/or catching up on each other.

That was fairly obvious, no? If you go somewhere narrow, expect it to be difficult to socially distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

That was fairly obvious, no? If you go somewhere narrow, expect it to be difficult to socially distance.

Yesterday was by a distance the worst it's been since I've ran along there during lockdown. There has definitely been a gradual relaxation from people over the last week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

The weather is beautiful, everyone should be outside everyday to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Couldn't think of a stupider place to run in normal times, never mind on a sunny bank holiday during a viral pandemic.

• Advertisement

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Couldn't think of a stupider place to run in normal times, never mind on a sunny bank holiday during a viral pandemic.

:rolleyes:

If you're so sure of that, maybe you can tell is which canal he was talking about and the location along the canal for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

IvoryTower wrote: »
    The weather is beautiful, everyone should be outside everyday to be fair

Hard to be when you are working

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Hard to be when you are working

The general idea that everyone does 9-5 Mon-Fri has turned into everyone is working from home :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Was walking to the shop at lunchtime & what did I see coming towards me on the footpath but a guy on some sort of motorised skateboard holding leads for two dogs. Just shook my head & crossed the street ;)

The new 5k limit means Cork's most unfriendly park for pedestrian access (Tramore Valley) is within reach so made it in there late afternoon & ran the old parkrun course. Drizzly evening so fairly quite apart from the council van driving around against the people running!

Stark wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

If you're so sure of that, maybe you can tell is which canal he was talking about and the location along the canal for a start.

The part where there were lots of people walking distance chatting and fishing in what's obviously a tow path or narrow space. Otherwise Brock would have been able to run around them. If you want exact geographical locations ask Brock^ sort it out between you.
    opus wrote: »
    Was walking to the shop at lunchtime & what did I see coming towards me on the footpath but a guy on some sort of motorised skateboard holding leads for two dogs. Just shook my head & crossed the street ;)

Came head on with two people walking dogs on my electronic board, went to avoid and fell on my hole. Lots of hilarity all around, particularly from my son. It's funny, good natured people trying to help and then realising they can't.

You seemed awfully sure that it's a stupid place to run at any time of year, even without pandemic. I assumed from that that you knew the location and weren't just talking out your ass.

Stark wrote: »
    You seemed awfully sure that it's a stupid place to run at any time of year, even without pandemic. I assumed from that that you knew the location and weren't just talking out your ass.

Yeah, I overreacted there. Sorry, normally a perfect place for everyone to enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

The general idea that everyone does 9-5 Mon-Fri has turned into everyone is working from home :D

My wife and I are lucky we can work from home. The days go by so quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

Cyclists I see last week who wouldn’t stay within the 2km and went more like 5km. This week the 5km is now 10km to them.

• Advertisement

Were you following them home or something?

Advertisement