Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running, Corona Virus and Social Distancing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Yeah, how do you know how far they're travelling? Are they arriving back from their cycle with strawberries from Wexford?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Update: Female jogger today went out of her way to avoid me and went on the grass rather than me having to do it. Well done her. 1 in 20 runners are selfless people ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Alicano

Trampas wrote: »
    Cyclists I see last week who wouldn’t stay within the 2km and went more like 5km. This week the 5km is now 10km to them.

A colleague of mine has been hitting 90km round trip cycles. He doesn't give a f#ck. Lovely lad mind. Bad part I think is he's a fitness trainer. So he's on instagram everyday either running or cycling doing the motivation video thing. I think he's publicly being irresponsible to his clients. But maybe I'm just grumpy :).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

fr336 wrote: »
    Update: Female jogger today went out of her way to avoid me and went on the grass rather than me having to do it. Well done her. 1 in 20 runners are selfless people ;)

Are you going to contribute anything of substance to this thread or are you going to make all your posts attempts to get peoples backs up? I bet you're one of those drivers who has an irrational hatred for cyclists too and goes around saying you saw them CYCLING 20 ABREAST.
    Wind down the trolling or you're be taking a long break from this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Are you going to contribute anything of substance to this thread or are you going to make all your posts attempts to get peoples backs up? I bet you're one of those drivers who has an irrational hatred for cyclists too and goes around saying you saw them CYCLING 20 ABREAST.
    Wind down the trolling or you're be taking a long break from this forum.

Nah just saying is all. Calling me a troll implies I was making it up, which I take exception to moderator or not. That you're all so defensive suggests you know there's a grain of truth in the self centered nature of many (not all) runners / joggers. I thought it went without saying that not all runners are like them, that would be silly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

1 in 20 runners are selfless people ;)

I call bullsh1t on this. My experience the last 2 months has been very much the opposite of this

500km run and only had issue with 8 -10 ppl.

I saw 1 person running making zero effort to afford space to others

A family walking 5 abreast along the canal at ashtown (narrow bit opposite train station),

A cyclist not stopping at a red light

A few walkers hogging middle of narrow paths

Most others have been proactive or considerate. Couples going single file or people running towards me have signalled where they are going etc.

There is a small minority of people who are either selfish, idiotic, just don't care or have no spatial awareness around themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Yeah, how do you know how far they're travelling? Are they arriving back from their cycle with strawberries from Wexford?

Can i have some?

Nah just saying is all. Calling me a troll implies I was making it up, which I take exception to moderator or not. That you're all so defensive suggests you know there's a grain of truth in the self centered nature of many (not all) runners / joggers. I thought it went without saying that not all runners are like them, that would be silly.

To be honest you are not adding any value to this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

To be honest you are not adding any value to this forum.

I don't think this thread in general is adding any value to this forum at this stage to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I don't think this thread in general is adding any value to this forum at this stage to be honest.
    Keeps it confined to one thread. Otherwise you'll just be having the same points raised in multiple threads every couple of days

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement

Chivito550 wrote: »

I long for the old days of discussing Toxic Sweat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

We've had the toxic runners, walkers and cyclists

Now I present to you...

The lying downers. I **** you not. Lay down on the ground across the path where everyone runs and walks having a wee hug. This is a very clear path that surrounds 2 football pitches, had about 10 people running and walking at the time, no bother to them, best place they could find in the acres of grass was across the path.
    I felt like warning them that people would spit, dogs would piss there etc but was too busy spreading my own toxic sweat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Sure they weren't there for hurdles / 2m high jump training?

They were lying flat across the path, about 2 foot to jump at worst, no use to anyone

Ah yes, but you need 2m clearance to avoid catching the coronavirus off them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I long for the old days of discussing Toxic Sweat

A straight to DVD outing, with Steven Seagal.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭OutTheGap

Makes a lot of sense where he says the danger of holding a race would be at the start. The race itself and the finish would probably be okay.

Hard to see a easy solution for any decent size races though.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

OutTheGap wrote: »
    Makes a lot of sense where he says the danger of holding a race would be at the start. The race itself and the finish would probably be okay.

Let runners out one by one??

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭OutTheGap

Seannew1 wrote: »

Our club has held handicap races where everybody goes off a different times and the fastest goes off last. They are great fun and very interesting to watch.

If you let runners out one by one at 15 second intervals, it would take an hour to get 240 runners out. Might work for a local club race but wouldn't scale up too well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭The Davestator

OutTheGap wrote: »

Not logistically possible probably, but you could have a number of different starting points which all converged into one by the 20 mile mark.

Say 5 starting pens would have staggered starts for the 5,000 in each of them.

Like I said, probably not feasible with road closures and public transport but things like this might need to be considered into 2021

5k still seems like a lot of people

Seannew1 wrote: »

Still have a crowd queuing

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭MacSwifty

Hi folks

quick question

When are physios etc allowed back operational is it May 18th?

Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

MacSwifty wrote: »
    Hi folks

quick question

Thanks

Just had a look at the Irish Society of Chartered Physiotherapists, they have a link to guide on their social media/website, but it's only accessible to their members.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭The Davestator

MacSwifty wrote: »
    Hi folks

quick question

Thanks

I'd assume they would be in the hairdresser, beauty category which is July

There's a thread on that in the Fitness forum https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058077542 . Apparently some are opening May 18th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭ger664

• Advertisement

Our club is opening up the track. Has to be booked in advance and max of 4 people.

Advertisement