Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running, Corona Virus and Social Distancing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

So the park was half full.....

If you like to play the wanker by twisting words then by all means.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Stark wrote: »
    If you like to play the wanker by twisting words then by all means.

Dr. Ronan Boland has just recommended that if you previously went for a 1hr run before the restrictions a brief run now would be 10min but people like you like to get their murder lap in with people around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Lazare

Dr. Ronan Boland has just recommended that if you previously went for a 1hr run before the restrictions a brief run now would be 10min but people like you like to get their murder lap in with people around.

I'm actually getting sick of this curtain twitching bolloxology. GFY.

We are all mature and sensible with our running and in general.

I've come into physical contact with 3 people since the schools closed, my wife and two kids.

I cross roads to avoid people, as does any other runner I've spotted. We are causing zero harm running by ourselves within 2km of our houses.

In fact, keeping healthy, especially aerobically healthy is an extremely positive thing.

So again, GFY.

Lazare wrote: »

I've come into physical contact with 3 people since the schools closed, my wife and two kids.

I cross roads to avoid people, as does any other runner I've spotted. We are causing zero harm running by ourselves within 2km of our houses.

In fact, keeping healthy, especially aerobically healthy is an extremely positive thing.

So again, GFY.

Enjoy yourself you selfish ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Seems as if there is a lot of pent up frustration around, understandable given the situation, but it's leading to a tremendous amount of self righteous judgemental type posts throughout social media platforms.

Hope everyone enjoyed their exercise today. Take care all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

I was out this morning. There were plenty of walkers out, with their pets. Some of them had obviously met up because they were keeping the 2m apart, on either side of the path so I had to go 2m away onto the grass. Or they stopped for a natter with other walkers. The runner is gone in 2 seconds. How selfish is that?!

When I'm out for a walk with the dog or the kids and someone is coming in the opposite direction, I have the kids trained to move in single line behind me so that the other person can pass. I've seen runners go out of there way to step into the grass to create distance between them and other park/path users. Its not as often I've seen the courtesy reciprocated.

Of all the things I've seen since this whole thing started, it's not runners who are being selfish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 418 ✭✭Blud

What are you doing to enjoy yourself stockshares? Just sticking to trolling, or branching out at all?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

What did they recommend for someone normally doing 30 minutes of running?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Found this tool this morning ... https://www.mapdevelopers.com/draw-circle-tool.php

Pick a point, draw the 2km circle and then you can see what roads are within the area.

I am lucky to live in the countryside, so have a couple of loops within my local 2km circle that will give me 10km running. Its very rural, so I don't usually pass anyone when doing these in normal circumstances, so expect no contact this morning.

I didn't pick up on the 'brief' part, but I guess that is relative.

And as the name suggest - its now hilly training, whereas before it was nice flat runs along the beach.

Very useful. Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

A motorist gave me a disapproving tut tut look this morning. I gave him the finger.

Was said motorist concerned about the part he/she is playing in the 1,510 annual premature deaths caused by air pollution?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭SuspectZero

It's about time the witch hunters going around social media looking to be outraged maybe used their time to do something positive instead of fearmongering. If you're so worried about what other people are doing through this situation, how about using your deeply caring attitude and extra time to help in your community, do shop runs for the elderly, make phonecalls to those who are isolated to check in and give them a feeling of connectedness. I get people are anxious but jesus christ, you are not helping busting through the doors barking at everyone, using rhetheoric like Murder laps and comparing mass crowd gatherings to going on a solo run.

The new regulations weren't brought in because of the Howth incident by the way, The seanad collapsed yesterday because there is no government formed meaning any legislation that needed to be passed had to be done so yesterday and a lockdown was inevitible given what we are seeing all over Europe. You think the health advisors and the Government are putting a million plus people out of work because of a twitter outrage, get real

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭66_Lad

Lazare wrote:
    So again, GFY.

Well said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

I worried the day would come where I'd be made feel a prick for running.

This is how many cyclists are felt like by motorists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

So again, GFY.

This me laugh so much. Fair play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

So again, GFY.

This me laugh so much. Fair play

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

micar wrote: »
    This is how many cyclists are felt like by motorists.

Yeah but cyclists are pricks.....:) :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Have you ever walked by a homeless person on the street on the way to the pub and did nothing?

If you have, then you are as "bad" as everyone else.

Or do only some peoples' lives matter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

robinph wrote: »
    What did they recommend for someone normally doing 30 minutes of running?

There is no "they". It's the Twitter opinion of one GP who once represented the IMO but doesn't anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Stark wrote: »
    There is no "they". It's the Twitter opinion of one GP who once represented the IMO but doesn't anymore.

I believe he recommended running backwards for 10 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Best not take the bait lads.

I'll be operating within a two km radius of my home. I'll make a point of avoiding people as I have been doing for weeks. Like Lazare I've been in physical contact with three people since early March (wife and two kids).

I also won't be trying to squeeze my running into a 30min window unless asked to do so by a Garda. If I was wreckless then fair enough but again, I purposely make an extra effort to avoid people now. For any run that's planned beyond an hour I'll make an effort to get out in the very early am.

Worth noting, there is a whole spectrum of attitudes here from people who don't give a crap to the extremes of people who are rigid. I get both sides. Like said in a previous post maybe we should all be a bit more patient with each other. I'm not going to infect someone with Covid running at the other side of the road at 7am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Charming way to introduce yourself to the forum. :rolleyes:

Obviously trollage. No logic, and and none of the links (to tweets) shed much light on the definition of "brief''.

I went for 5.5 easy miles this morning, under 50 mins total. Less time than someone strolling for 30 mins out and 30 mins back. Never more than 21 mins away from the front door. Met 4 cars, a chained up dog and zero pedestrians. For me that was as brief as a run ever is these days, and at no point more than 2k from the house.

I don't see any reason not to take the guidance literally. Here's the '30 mins' quote (from CMO Dr. Tony Holohan) for the record:
    ... to take brief physical exercise within your locality, which may include children from the household (either for a run or walk with/without dog) within 2 km of the home (i.e. half-hour from the home) adhering to strict 2m social distancing measures.

Note that a fast runner could interpret the 'i.e. half-hour from the home' much more loosely and build a far wider radius - but I believe that would not be in the spirit of the guideline/regulation/law (whatever it actually is). I'm very happy to adhere to the 2k guidelines, and if this definition of 'brief' is more strictly defined I'll certainly observe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I did a six mile easy run this morning, all within the 2k radius, gave plenty of room to people and didn’t expect people to make room for me. People were appreciative of the effort, it’s handy enough to jump out onto the road as there aren’t many cars out at that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭niallo32

Went out at 7am and did an hour.

Same as most other posters, I seen a handful of dog walkers and crossed the road to avoid them.

Stayed within 2km-ish and was home without coming within 50 metres of anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

I'm sticking to the 2km radius unless I hear something different. Which is a complete pain in the balls, as I live exactly 2.1km from the Infirmary Road gate of the Phoenix Park.

If it was 30mins from home I'd have the Munich Hills and Polo Grounds within reach but I *should* survive for two weeks. I don't think I've even got a football pitch within 2km, so I'm thinking of just doing easy miles on the roads for a fortnight. And I've been running at 6.30am for the past couple of weeks anyway.

Really impressed by the level of compliance with the spirit of the lockdown evidenced on Strava (I may just follow a very civic-minded bunch of runners!).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

Sacksian wrote: »
    I'm sticking to the 2km radius unless I hear something different. Which is a complete pain in the balls, as I live exactly 2.1km from the Infirmary Road gate of the Phoenix Park.

If it was 30mins from home I'd have the Munich Hills and Polo Grounds within reach but I *should* survive for two weeks. I don't think I've even got a football pitch within 2km, so I'm thinking of just doing easy miles on the roads for a fortnight. And I've been running at 6.30am for the past couple of weeks anyway.

Really impressed by the level of compliance with the spirit of the lockdown evidenced on Strava (I may just follow a very civic-minded bunch of runners!).

Where or what are the Munich hills in the Park? Have been running there for years and never heard of them before.

Advice from Cork Athletics County board
    https://www.corkathletics.org/news/1670-editorial-do-you-really-need-to-get-out.html

Advice from Corkrunning blog
    https://corkrunning.blogspot.com/2020/03/government-restrict-all-individual.html?spref=tw&m=1

"Note that the instruction is for BRIEF individual physical exercise. It's not for running up and down the road within 2kms of your house and clocking up a half-marathon!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

Asked a Garda friend today and he said no time limit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ooter

went out for a run earlier in the phoenix park, stayed within the 2k radius and even brought my driving licence with me for proof of address in the unlikely event of being stopped by the gardai. plenty of people were out walking (some with dogs, some without) and a few people cycling. I have absolutely no problem with them and they didn't seem to have a problem with me, any time I came towards somebody I gave them a wide berth. passed gardai both on foot and in cars on a few occasions on the loop and they had no problem with me either.
    so long as I stick to that I can't see there being a problem, blessed to have the PP on my doorstep by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ooter

ewc78 wrote: »
    Where or what are the Munich hills in the Park? Have been running there for years and never heard of them before.

the grass hills beside the magazine fort, could be wrong but I think they're called the munich hills because eamonn Coughlan trained on them for the munich Olympics?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Lazare

Having the PP within 2kms of your gaff is a sick brag :)

Advertisement