Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General work permit Doubt

Options
  • 19-03-2020 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

HI all,
    I have been working with my company for 1 year and 7 months. I was in my graduate visa for the first 8 months and then in my general work permit since July. I have gotten an opportunity in a better organization. Can I change my employer? I have been with them for more than a year but I have spent 9 months of it in the general work permit. Please help me out, I really don't want to miss out in the opportunity.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭dennyk

You will need to have been working for your current employer under your current work permit for at least 12 months before you can apply for a new work permit for a job with a different employer, I'm afraid. I don't believe the time you were working for them under your Stamp 1G will count, as the law specifies that a new permit will not be issued if "a period of less than 12 months has elapsed since the foreign national concerned first commenced employment in the State pursuant to an employment permit granted to him or her". As such, you likely won't be able to submit a new application for a new permit to work for a different employer until July.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

dennyk wrote: »
    You will need to have been working for your current employer under your current work permit for at least 12 months before you can apply for a new work permit for a job with a different employer, I'm afraid. I don't believe the time you were working for them under your Stamp 1G will count, as the law specifies that a new permit will not be issued if "a period of less than 12 months has elapsed since the foreign national concerned first commenced employment in the State pursuant to an employment permit granted to him or her". As such, you likely won't be able to submit a new application for a new permit to work for a different employer until July.

This is correct.

You must stay for 12 months with the same employer for your first employment permit. Your Stamp 1G doesn’t matter as it wasn’t an employment permit... unless you had a permit as a graduate.

To keep it easy you must be with the same employer for 12 months on your first employment permit. If your current employer has no objection to you moving on then DBEI might waive the requirement. Can you get such a letter from current employer?

Advertisement