Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broadband Speeds

• 19-03-2020 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

I have recently purchased a PS4. I have Eir Broadband and my speed is currently 1-2mbps. As you can imagine games take an eternity to update/download. I do live in rural Ireland but not the middle of the countryside and I’m not expecting super fast speeds but even this is way too slow. My broadband is connected through the phone line. If I go with a different provider through a phone line connection will the speeds be similar or will they improve? Do I need to look at a different way of getting connected

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

I have recently purchased a PS4. I have Eir Broadband and my speed is currently 1-2mbps. As you can imagine games take an eternity to update/download. I do live in rural Ireland but not the middle of the countryside and I’m not expecting super fast speeds but even this is way too slow. My broadband is connected through the phone line. If I go with a different provider through a phone line connection will the speeds be similar or will they improve? Do I need to look at a different way of getting connected
    No matter who you go with, if the same copper line is used will be same - its most likely down to the line itself and/or distance to exchange.
    Consider shopping for wireless providers, mobile or fixed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,048 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Tough living with those sorts of speeds in this day and age. Used to be there myself.

I thought old copper lines got you approx 7meg these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its possible you're on an old package. If you were on the 1/2/3/7Mb packages when the exchange was upgraded you wouldnt have been automatically upgraded.

If you want to PM me your landline number I'll post the anonymous prequalification data here so we know what may/should be available to you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭trumptheman

Run a speedtest from a laptop or phone when connected to your home broadband and post results.

If your with three PAYG and have good 3G or 4G run a speedtest from your phone as well. Might be better off tethering and using that.

Advertisement