Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waste disposal

Options
  • 19-03-2020 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

I recently moved into house and the garden hedge is 12 feet high by about 10 ft wide. I want to cut it right back down to about 6 ft by 3ft. I know it will be bare for a while and I have no bother cutting it. The branches would be about 2.5 inches at thickest. There will be a huge amount of waste. How do I get rid of it. I have a McAllister wood chipper but it would take too long to get rid of it and probably busy the machine. What are my alternatives. Do hire company's deliver machinery and would a bigger wood chipper be up to the task.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

How long is the hedge? And don't forget that if it's something like leylandii, you won't be able to cut it back that hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭nailer54321

Hire a skip, job sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭tritriagain

How long is the hedge? And don't forget that if it's something like leylandii, you won't be able to cut it back that hard.

It's not leylandii . Don't know what it is tbh. I have test cut a small section and am managing no bother. Just waste I'm concerned about.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if it's broadleaf, you should be fine. if it's coniferous, probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Post a pic and someone will identify and confirm a severe cutback will be ok.

A skip and a rented chipper should be fine, just cover the skip to prevent catching any rain, otherwise you might end up too heavy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I hired a van, filled it twice and brought it to kings tree services, other places do it too.

Cut down hedge at least same height at rear of Dublin semi d..... Garden is huge now and brighter too. My dad was happy.

You could hire a mulcher also

Alternatively a tree company will probably chip and remove it fit you for cheaper than you can hire yourself

GreeBo wrote: »
    A skip and a rented chipper should be fine
    i don't even know if you'd need the skip. it's amazing how little space a hedge takes up when mulched, i 'disposed' of a leylandii hedge (more akin to a wall) 40 foot long, by at least 12 foot tall and 10 foot wide, and just left the shredded stuff under the footprint of the hedge.
    that said, i kept anything thicker than an inch for the stove.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Would you kill a leylandii hedge if you cut it back hard?

if you cut back 'past the green', it will not recover.
    e.g. from what the OP had planned, if his/her hedge was leylandii, cutting back that hard would kill it.

• Advertisement

i don't even know if you'd need the skip. it's amazing how little space a hedge takes up when mulched, i 'disposed' of a leylandii hedge (more akin to a wall) 40 foot long, by at least 12 foot tall and 10 foot wide, and just left the shredded stuff under the footprint of the hedge.
    that said, i kept anything thicker than an inch for the stove.

Yeah it is a significant reduction alright, probably 90%.

It really depends on what the hedge is I guess. I took 1M off the height and probably the same again off a beech hedge and it was very dense with branches.

Other types of hedges are mostly leaves and so can disappear when mulched.

Advertisement