Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emergency laws

Options
  • 19-03-2020 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0319/1124044-covid19-politics/

The new laws will allow the State to shut down mass gatherings and to potentially order groups of people in certain areas to stay in their homes.

There are regulations too that would allow for the detention of a person, on foot of a medical recommendation, if they refuse to self-isolate.

I know we are in an emergency situation but I really dont like the sound of such laws. if these laws are introduced now, they will need to be changed again when this virus scare is over or else our freedom as we know it is over.
    These are the kind of laws you would see in north korea or china.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,987 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

It's emergency legislation, not a new communist regime. It also provides emergency financial help for those affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭pgj2015

It's emergency legislation, not a new communist regime. It also provides emergency financial help for those affected.

That is a different matter. I am talking about the other new laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Could do with adding in dispersal of groups even after this as intimidation and other such issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Only reason for these laws is that irresponsible people will not observe them voluntarily.

Lockdown next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

All parrots must be stroked until midnight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Only reason for these laws is that irresponsible people will not observe them voluntarily.

Lockdown next.

Any ideas when lockdown will happen ? I'm guessing next Monday or Tuesday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject71

beejee wrote: »
    All parrots must be stroked until midnight

What happens after midnight? Insert shock,panic,horror face,heh

There seems to be posters here who would be happy to see people die if they could continue with their normal routine.

Did their parents not love them?

There seems to be posters here who would be happy to see people die if they could continue with their normal routine.

Did their parents not love them?

Apparently those taking the necessary precautions are being selfish by "shutting down" the economy :rolleyes:

Lockdown next.

maybe but what I am talking about is, what happens when the virus passes? say in 5 years time I am driving from dublin to cork and I am stopped half way there and told i am not allowed go any further, not a very free country then is it?

also why are the french giving out fines if you leave your house during lockdown but our government are going to lock us up?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject71

You can't teach compassion or a sense of humanity in some people. They believe they are above it or it simply doesn't exist. And they will still do what they think is their right. Regardless of who it affects.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

pgj2015 wrote: »
    maybe but what I am talking about is, what happens when the virus passes? say in 5 years time I am driving from dublin to cork and I am stopped half way there and told i am not allowed go any further, not a very free country then is it?

also why are the french giving out fines if you leave your house during lockdown but our government are going to lock us up?

You are right, the fictional situation you described is not a very free country.

It has nothing to do with reality though, and won't happen in Ireland.

That just won't happen though.

you probably said the same about a virus like this a few months ago. who knows what will happen in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

you probably said the same about a virus like this a few months ago. who knows what will happen in the future.

No, a pandemic is and always has been very much within the bounds of reality. In fact we've had preparations for one several times in the last 20 years, whether they came to pass or not.

I can safely say that we're not going to have a power crazy government start banning travel within Ireland for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Any ideas when lockdown will happen ? I'm guessing next Monday or Tuesday

My friend of a friend who's a cleaner for a guard will send a WhatsApp message shortly letting us all know...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

As it's not yet written, it's hard to say what the laws will be. I believe they would be stupid to try and pass these laws without ensuring the emergency legislation will relate specifically to only Covid-19 related cases. So, once it passes, the law no longer applies. Or, and i'm not sure here, emergency legislation may have an expiry, ie: could only be allowed for x amount of days.

We won't know for certain until the full legislation is released for us to read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

As it's not yet written, it's hard to say what the laws will be. I believe they would be stupid to try and pass these laws without ensuring the emergency legislation will relate specifically to only Covid-19 related cases. So, once it passes, the law no longer applies. Or, and i'm not sure here, emergency legislation may have an expiry, ie: could only be allowed for x amount of days.

We won't know for certain until the full legislation is released for us to read.

Here you go, it was released on Tuesday...

https://merrionstreet.ie/MerrionStreet/en/News-Room/News/20200317_Health_Bill.pdf

In communist Ireland legislation reads you.

someone told me since that these new laws will be valid until November. hopefully, we dont want to be living in china number 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

it was blazey-edly announced at lunchtime on 98fm that they had been brought in without as much as a parry from the other side. I nearly crashed the car. Next gabbled sentence was about emergency payments -
    again - no focus on them only lasting 6 weeks and then being means tested - as usual - a shot through the balls of middle class steuggling Ireland. No whisper in any paler or station of the fact we gad an election and when is the new government going to be formed. Democracy my aras. You couldnt make it up.

• Advertisement

someone told me since that these new laws will be valid until November. hopefully, we dont want to be living in china number 2.

Specifies it's related to Covid-19 and dated to May 9th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcS9fNF0dRqbmUzf3i29KaDQjiVH85SAbQX_8AkmCdhCYCO7gafj

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

I can see them using these new laws against Dissident Republicans.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Perfect. Quick scan and as noted above, there is an expiration of the 9th of May and it's worded specifically to be relating to Covid-19. Once Covid-19 is gone, the legislation will be gone on or before the 9th of May 2020.

There are provisions for extending if necessary, but still very much relates to Covid-19. Ye can put away the tinfoil hats.

Big Gerry wrote: »

And anyone who protests.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

About time the country was run properly.
    Sniper rifles with infra-red scopes for anyone who owns a uniform. :cool:

What I regret is the lazy feckin students are getting 100% marks in their oral Irish exam.
    Years ago I sweated bricks to mumble a few phrases in the oral Irish "tá sé", "go raibh maith agat"; "go mo leith sceal". :o

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Can we add beatins of feral children/adults to these new awesome laws?

Like drag em up the mountains batter them, leave em type laws?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭NeinNeinNein

Big Gerry wrote: »
    To boost their social welfare entitlements if they are out of work due to a pandemic disease?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

If someone does something unnecessary that has a clear risk of spreading infection, in principal do you think that they should be punished by the state?

Don't really want to get into a discussion of the legalities of it, want to talk about it more in a conceptual and societal context.

What sort of punishment, what sort of process and for what sort of actions would you like to see, if any?

I think something is probably required. In the context, the only normal punishment that is practical would be on the spot fines. However some people don't care about stuff like that. In clear and extreme cases detainment would be warranted. (I understand they have the power to detain people who break quarantine as it is.) One of those trackers they shackle to people under house arrest in TV shows might work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

if someone sneezes on you or coughs in your direction, then i'd report them to the guards without hesitation

i've heard stories of gougers doing it for the craic

Advertisement