Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCT Testing During Covid19

Options
  • 19-03-2020 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

:eek:

My local KIA garage has closed down for a number of weeks, my car is due its yearly service before its NCT.

Why are'nt NCT Centers closing?

Comments

My local KIA garage has closed down for a number of weeks, my car is due its yearly service before its NCT.

No VRT payments if that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Trampas

€€€€€€€

• Registered Users Posts: 19 CymbaltaMan

Trampas wrote: »
    €€€€€€€

Yeah all money! I cant fix the problem if my local garage closed and sure are'nt the lifts still broken in centres

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's probably considered an essential service.
    They are taking precautions, minimum number of people allowed in waiting room etc

biko wrote: »
    It's probably considered an essential service.
    They are taking precautions, minimum number of people allowed in waiting room etc

I would'nt like to be a tester hoping in and out of peoples cars - Not safe for them! Dirtiest thing in a car is steering wheel more so than a toilet seat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I would'nt like to be a tester hoping in and out of peoples cars - Not safe for them! Dirtiest thing in a car is steering wheel more so than a toilet seat

They wear gloves.

They wear gloves.

Nice - Someone sneeze still floating around the car! It only takes one droplet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

They wear gloves.

That matters not one bit.

Gloves collect more germs.

Its about not touching your face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Know of a person who is under self-isolation but the NCT is due this week. He has sent off a number of emails to them without a response.
    The sensible thing for him is to skip it and take a gamble with the authorities.

I looked on the NCT home page just now and there is zero information about the worldwide pandemic that's going on at the moment. Zilch!
    If someone books a test now, and if there is a lock down or other situation that causes you to miss a test, they will charge you for it.
    If you miss a re-test after 30 days, you have to do the whole test again ..... for the full fee.
    If you cancel your re-test within 5 days of the test, you will be charged.
    Don't forget that many garages are closed now or will close down due to the virus, so who is going to fix the issues that the NCT finds?

All of these fees and charges are on their homepage, so yeah, it must be all about money for them at this stage. They are a private business.

And I would not recommend anyone with compromised health to go to the NCT testing centres .................. even if the "testers are using gloves".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I had my test booked for tomorrow but got a text cancelling it last night. It mentions rescheduling it but gave literally no details on why it's cancelled.

• Advertisement

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I had my test booked for tomorrow but got a text cancelling it last night. It mentions rescheduling it but gave literally no details on why it's cancelled.
    Very unprofessional of them Sonic.

Do you know an easy way to rectify the confusion and put many people at ease? Post helpful information on the home page of your web site .......... like so many supermarket chains and other organisations.
    It is bewildering that the NCT are not doing this.

Just looks like a money grab by them at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭JMJR

From the NCT website

In line with Government advice, the more vulnerable in society are being asked to contact us on 014135992 to arrange an alternative appointment.

As the impact of Coronavirus (COVID-19) continues to escalate we have put in place the appropriate precautions to ensure we minimise any impact of the virus in our centres.

Please do not visit any NCTS facility if you have been exposed to the virus or have Knowingly been in contact with anyone showing symptoms. In this instance you should follow HSE advice on https://www2.hse.ie/coronavirus/

This seems poorly thought out advice , does not cater to all conditions and does not seem to address the health & welfare protection of NCT staff.
    Does not say what to do if you are in quarantine/isolation.
    Am I correct to say that the regs were changed so that only the car owner can present the car for inspection?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Kivaro wrote: »
    Know of a person who is under self-isolation but the NCT is due this week. He has sent off a number of emails to them without a response.
    The sensible thing for him is to skip it and take a gamble with the authorities.

I looked on the NCT home page just now and there is zero information about the worldwide pandemic that's going on at the moment. Zilch!
    If someone books a test now, and if there is a lock down or other situation that causes you to miss a test, they will charge you for it.
    If you miss a re-test after 30 days, you have to do the whole test again ..... for the full fee.
    If you cancel your re-test within 5 days of the test, you will be charged.
    Don't forget that many garages are closed now or will close down due to the virus, so who is going to fix the issues that the NCT finds?

All of these fees and charges are on their homepage, so yeah, it must be all about money for them at this stage. They are a private business.

And I would not recommend anyone with compromised health to go to the NCT testing centres .................. even if the "testers are using gloves".

Cant someone else bring the car for him?

Cant someone else bring the car for him?
    Probably not a good idea Drav.

He is in isolation for a reason, and while not showing symptoms yet, it is not wise to hop in his car to bring it to the NCT centre.
    Thinking of a lot of possible issues e.g. does the good samaritan sanitise the man's car before bringing it to the centre for his own protection? It's a big ask to bring the car to the testing centre.

In the 'old' days (a few weeks ago), it wouldn't have been an issue.

And JMJR: thanks for posting that. But still wonder why the NCT company would not have a link to it on their home page or actually state it on the home page ..... like most companies and organisations.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Currently, all NCTS Centers are operating as normal

In the interests of the safety and welfare of our staff and customers, we will only be allowing a small number of customers into the waiting area at a time and we ask that customers refrain from bringing children to the test centres.

Once checked in, please return to your vehicle and leave your windows slightly opened
    Please wait in your vehice until advised it is your turn to enter the building
    We are taking these measures in line with the social distancing guidelines that have been issued by the HSE
    We also ask that you please ensure your vehicle is clean, tidy and free of any unhygienic matter such as used tissues and wipes
    Ensure that the air vents in your vehicle are closed and the fans are on low settings
    We also ask that customers pay by card where possible to reduce the chance of cross infection by using cash
    In line with Government advice, the more vulnerable in society are being asked to contact us on 014135992 to arrange an alternative appointment.

As the impact of Coronavirus (COVID-19) continues to escalate we have put in place the appropriate precautions to ensure we minimise any impact of the virus in our centres.

Please do not visit any NCTS facility if you have been exposed to the virus or have Knowingly been in contact with anyone showing symptoms. In this instance you should follow HSE advice on https://www2.hse.ie/coronavirus/

Many thanks for your co-operation.

Mine is due april 27th. My mechanic runs a 1-man show but have no idea if he is actually open at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Had my car done last week. 18th.
    Was instructed to sit in the car with windows down until my test was called. Almost an hour later test was taken only after I enquiried was I forgotten. Oh no no your next I'm told.
    Test happens. Well done you passed all the test but we only have one lift and that's in use so you'll have to book to come back for that. It's a 130km round trip for me, felt like driving through the roller door only then the lights would fail next time. I only booked the test because they said the lifts were back in order there. They didn't say they just had one working. Sh1t service, no contact point , you want to call at all it's a central office number in Dublin.

I had forgotten about their lifts issue.
    So after risking going to their test centers and hope that their staff and testers are following correct Covid-19 protocols, then even if the vehicle passes the test, people have to come back again next month after they fix their lifts so that they can test it again?

That's a bit mad Ted, isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭This is it

I had forgotten about their lifts issue.
    So after risking going to their test centers and hope that their staff and testers are following correct Covid-19 protocols, then even if the vehicle passes the test, people have to come back again next month after they fix their lifts so that they can test it again?

That's a bit mad Ted, isn't it.

You've had a bad experience with the NCT, haven't you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Mine is out in 4 days. Havent booked the test. I'm immunocompromised so i'm not in any rush to get the car down there. I'd like to think the Gardaí have more to do than seize cars with no valid cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Drivers theory testing centers are still open they are telling people to wear gloves and masks.

• Advertisement

This is it wrote: »
    You've had a bad experience with the NCT, haven't you.
    Not really.
    Would just like them to be informative.

Edit: Just checked their web site, and finally they posted something on their home page about the worldwide pandemic. It says that "All NCTS Centres are operating as normal."
    So I presume that the Taoiseach's announcement today does not affect NCT testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Nct still open, at the moment. Taoiseachs announcement didn't change it. That's not saying that won't change though.

Any cancellation texts previous posters spoke about would be probably due to staff members going out sick.

I notice that the UK government has granted car owners in Britain and Northern Ireland a six-month exemption from MOT testing during this worldwide pandemic. This makes complete sense.

Yet people in the Republic of Ireland have no such reprieve.

I notice that the UK government has granted car owners in Britain and Northern Ireland a six-month exemption from MOT testing during this worldwide pandemic. This makes complete sense.

Yet people in the Republic of Ireland have no such reprieve.

RSA will not allow NCT to shut. They don't give a **** about staff or customer concerns

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's a bloody disgrace that the NCT centres are still operating. It's a high risk for their staff and if any of the staff are contagious a high risk for their customers. If I have the dose and show up to the test centre live virus will be on my steering wheel, gear shift, touchscreen, indicators(not applicable for BMW drivers), door handles and every other surface I touch and breath on. One "superspreader" in a test centre could potentially infect dozens. And no the same mouldy gloves worn for a shift doesn't cut it as protective, for anyone. The joke is viruses like influenza last around five minutes on our skin, but would last a lot longer on rubber gloves. Never mind the bloody lift nonsense and requirement for two visits in many centres. They're not currently fit for purpose and certainly not in the biggest public health crisis in the state's history. Someone in government needs to take this issue to task and pronto.

Mine isn't due until november, but if it were up next week I'd not attend and take the risk. If I had underlying conditions, or was around loved ones with underlying conditions that put us at an increased risk of mortality, no way in hell. Like I say this is a bloody disgrace.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    It's a bloody disgrace that the NCT centres are still operating. It's a high risk for their staff and if any of the staff are contagious a high risk for their customers. If I have the dose and show up to the test centre live virus will be on my steering wheel, gear shift, touchscreen, indicators(not applicable for BMW drivers), door handles and every other surface I touch and breath on. One "superspreader" in a test centre could potentially infect dozens. And no the same mouldy gloves worn for a shift doesn't cut it as protective, for anyone. The joke is viruses like influenza last around five minutes on our skin, but would last a lot longer on rubber gloves. Never mind the bloody lift nonsense and requirement for two visits in many centres. They're not currently fit for purpose and certainly not in the biggest public health crisis in the state's history. Someone in government needs to take this issue to task and pronto.

Mine isn't due until november, but if it were up next week I'd not attend and take the risk. If I had underlying conditions, or was around loved ones with underlying conditions that put us at an increased risk of mortality, no way in hell. Like I say this is a bloody disgrace.

Spot on. Send that to the RSA

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I will M. For all the good it'll do.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Good man or woman :)

And I've done similarly.

It's really bizarre to force immune-compromised and older people to these testing centres; especially when they have to go twice .... if they are lucky.

• Advertisement

I found it funny that on the NCTS contact page they have the word integrity with a dropdown telling us that it's an "important element of the National Car Test". Where the hell is their "integrity" when they risk exposing their staff, the general public and vulnerable people among them during the greatest health emergency in the state's history? I added that to my email to them(as well as the RSA). G'way to fcuk NCTS. I didn't add that lest they need an excuse to continue to be dicks. They should be shamed for this and boycotted if needs be. Unreal.

Advertisement