Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCT Testing During Covid19

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

A poster on this thread suggested that I had a beef with the NCT because I am a bit pissed that they are still testing during a worldwide deadly pandemic.
    My beef is that the NCT testing company is not acting as part of the collective in fighting this pandemic. The UK shut down MOT testing for a reason. Is Ireland so special that we need to continue testing vehicles during a pandemic where the citizenry are supposed to isolate?

My biggest gripe is the fear of motorists, who are vulnerable to this virus due to age or immune-compromise, who dread going to the testing centres. Is it really necessary to cause these people further anguish?

Put it off for six months for feck sake. It makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

not only that, but they haven't fixed the lifts yet in half their centres...so whats the point in going in?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Mine is due this week, and i've booked it in for next week. Would rather not have to do it right now, and they really shouldn't be open, but will bring it in and get it done anyway.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

As mentioned earlier, mine is due april 27th and i got the letter in the mail today reminding me to that fact.
    The center i always go cant accept a booking before may 6th.

Working from home for now, do 1 food shop in the week so i am no even going to bother to book a test as it will be cancelled anyway assuming they will see the light at 1 point and close the centres. The NCT is not an essential service ffs.
    They could fix those lifts in the mean time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

inforfun wrote: »
    As mentioned earlier, mine is due april 27th and i got the letter in the mail today reminding me to that fact.
    The center i always go cant accept a booking before may 6th.

Working from home for now, do 1 food shop in the week so i am no even going to bother to book a test as it will be cancelled anyway assuming they will see the light at 1 point and close the centres. The NCT is not an essential service ffs.
    They could fix those lifts in the mean time...

Not really, if everyone is at home!

NCTS.ie has not updated AFAIK but presumably tomorrow they'll suspend checking for two weeks after which they'll be a state of chasis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I'd like to think you're right but who knows? Will they answer phones?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Mine went through but need to go back to the lift in Ennis
    The guy said I'd be safe enough with all the passes.
    Im roadworthy, 2km radius

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Not really, if everyone is at home!

1, maybe 2 days. 1 nct guy to open the door, 1 mechanic to fix the lifts.
    They should be able to stay 1,5 meter apart

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Wibbs wrote: »
    It's a bloody disgrace that the NCT centres are still operating. It's a high risk for their staff and if any of the staff are contagious a high risk for their customers. If I have the dose and show up to the test centre live virus will be on my steering wheel, gear shift, touchscreen, indicators(not applicable for BMW drivers), door handles and every other surface I touch and breath on. One "superspreader" in a test centre could potentially infect dozens. And no the same mouldy gloves worn for a shift doesn't cut it as protective, for anyone. The joke is viruses like influenza last around five minutes on our skin, but would last a lot longer on rubber gloves. Never mind the bloody lift nonsense and requirement for two visits in many centres. They're not currently fit for purpose and certainly not in the biggest public health crisis in the state's history. Someone in government needs to take this issue to task and pronto.

Mine isn't due until november, but if it were up next week I'd not attend and take the risk. If I had underlying conditions, or was around loved ones with underlying conditions that put us at an increased risk of mortality, no way in hell. Like I say this is a bloody disgrace.

Any time I've been to an NCT centre they always changed their gloves before starting on a car. When I got the cert they had no gloves on. So even before the Covid-19 issue they where changing gloves between cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Del2005 wrote: »
    Any time I've been to an NCT centre they always changed their gloves before starting on a car. When I got the cert they had no gloves on. So even before the Covid-19 issue they where changing gloves between cars.

NCT and driving tests are cancelled tomorrow pending meeting to decide response to Leo's speech according to RSA website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Ah yea gloves are changed after every car. There's boxes of gloves all over the place in there.

Anyway, NCT is closed for the foreseeable. I think it's the right move. Not sure how it's going to fare out for VRT but I can't imagine there's a huge amount of cars being imported at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭leck

This afternoon (Fri) I booked a retest for Monday 6 April. The NCT website hasn't been updated since then.

The RSA site says:
    National Car Testing Service (NCTS) Further to the Government’s announcement this evening, Friday 27 March, extending public restrictions in response to the Coronavirus, the National Car Testing Service (NCT)will not be open for business on Saturday 28 March.
    Pending a further review on Saturday a decision will be made in relation to the delivery of services in the days ahead.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Really D? Never noticed that myself in the one I go to. Wasn't looking though TBH. :)

The way I look at it is this; would you let a patient with ebola sit in your car and work all the controls for five minutes? Would you get into a car where someone with ebola had driven it for anything up to a half hour? Would the NCTS still be open? I doubt it, and ebola is significantly less infectious than covid-19.
    Fann Linn wrote: »
    NCT and driving tests are cancelled tomorrow pending meeting to decide response to Leo's speech according to RSA website.
    A meeting. Like what do they need to decide?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Wibbs wrote: »

A meeting. Like what do they need to decide?

Probably how they will answer the many queries on the RSA Facebook page about bookings. There were 350 comments on it this morning. It's not as straightforward as shutting down for 2 weeks. A process will have to be set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

My retest is tomorrow, obviously that won't be happening now.

I assume at some point we'll get a text cancelling appointments or something on their website about it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

michellie wrote: »
    Probably how they will answer the many queries on the RSA Facebook page about bookings. There were 350 comments on it this morning. It's not as straightforward as shutting down for 2 weeks. A process will have to be set up.
    Or middle management love meetings, as they tend to. I've never attended a meeting that lasted more than ten minutes that could have been done and dusted within ten minutes.

Something along the lines of: Announce service is temporarily suspended. Announce that during this time enquiries will be monitored and further announcements will be made in response. Announce that the situation is current and fluid and updates will be made accounting for that. Apologise for any delays. That's the guts of it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

The RSA's behaviour regarding this issue is best described as extremely poor and at worst can be described as reprehensible and dangerous.
    Up to a day ago they were encouraging everyone to continue going to the NCT test centres. I'm angry about the situation because the solution was simple, and was already enacted on the island of Ireland and the UK i.e. postponement of testing.

For those with elderly parents, you know that they treat the NCT test as a military manoeuver where they prepare for it 6 months in advance. The RSA were risking people's lives by telling them that they needed to continue with NCT testing. Not to mention the ludicrous fact that motorists would have to repeat the NCT centre visit again in a month's time after they fix their lifts. In a month's time, this country could be even in a worse condition with the virus.

A lot of you are young, fit and healthy, and feel that the NCT centre visit is no big deal. For the elderly, the immune-compromised, people with asthma and other respiratory issues, and for the elderly and sick, a visit to the NCT centre is highly dangerous. Not to mention those of you who have an underlying health condition and completely unaware of it ............ for now.

We need to get it out of our heads that gloves are somehow the virus' kryptonite. The reality is that gloves could be doing the opposite of what many of you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I expect that they be closed now because of rules last night, test should have being cancelled when it became a problem.
    Another thing is this is the only country where we need to have car tested when not on the road due to change of owner.
    AS far as i know the test is for one/two years from date of test.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Lagore

Website updated to say it’s closed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Kivaro wrote: »
    ... ... the ludicrous fact that motorists would have to repeat the NCT centre visit again in a month's time after they fix their lifts. In a month's time, this country could be even in a worse condition with the virus.

For me it will be my third.

Did test no lift.
    Did test with lift failed.
    Repaired.
    Third appointment in a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

NCT testing will resume on 29th March. Has been deemed an essential service. Website just updated.

That makes no sense.
    Just goes to show the power that the RSA have.

I guess that the Brits are doing it wrong then by closing their MOT test centres during a worldwide deadly pandemic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Could NCT centres be a future hot spot.

They'll have to make everyone wait in their cars until it ready to go in and then keep everyone outside sat on the kerb (or even some individual seating!) during the test.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    NCT testing will resume on 29th March. Has been deemed an essential service. Website just updated.
    That's beyond headscratching. :confused: It's a major potential pinch point for community infection, especially of the vulnerable.

The basic brass tacks of operating our lockdown are keep the hell away from anyone you don't currently live with. And yet people, including the "cocooned" elderly and other vulnerable folks, never mind NCTS staff are going to be forced into close contact with others because of the NCT? I'm sorry but what the actual fuck is going on here and what dribbling ignoramus signed off on that?

Oh and before someone clutches pearls and jumps the gun, my NCT isn't up until December, so I've no skin in the game until then. If it were up currently? Quite honestly I'd not go. No way in hell and no way in hell would I let an elderly relative go. The RSA can head right off with their idiocy. It is beyond bloody ridiculous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Open on Monday. Criminal.
    507352.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Dilbert75 wrote: »

If people have any sense they will just stop booking until this mess is sorted.
    Having a medical procedure is an essential service but we get fix or die, i never heard of "incomplete""
    A service that is "not fit for purpose" is just that.
    When they have the things fixed people book and get tested, the same as in UK. An Irish solution YES.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭rahmalec

Feck the bloody NCT for now. Just drive away and do what you need to do. No guard will be checking this at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Downlinz

You'd be mad to step into those small, confined waiting rooms at present. Absolutely insane.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

It's moronic

Advertisement