Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCT Testing During Covid19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

NCT out end of March.
    Won't be done until everything reverts back to normality.
    If they think I'm going to allow someone sit in my car who has been in a few other cars and possibly infect me with the virus from something on their clothes, gloves etc, they have another think coming.
    I'll take my day in court and explain it to the judge.
    As already said, the guards will have better things to be doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭jimmyrustle

There was enough ambiguity re the broken lifts.

Completed my test early March bar lifting in Northpoint1, was told I had to complete it before March 23rd in Northpoint 2.

Went online and Northpoint 2 wasn't even accepting bookings at the time.

Looked yesterday and earliest booking date was May.

But surely slots would come available in Northpoint 1 once the lift there is fixed.

There's no explanation about whether the non lift parts of my test will have to be repeated, and potentially failed, because I couldn't get a booking in time for the window they gave me.

An absolute mess. Shane Ross in hiding since it broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

I'm open to correction but an inspector told me that if the lift inspection is carried out within 28 days of the original inspection then it's just a free lift inspection.

If the lift inspection is carried out after 28 days from the original test then it's a complete retest , but no charge .

That's from the inspector who did mine in Deansgrange last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

So nct's tomorrow are going ahead?I will be going so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 sickntyred

The government's decision to class the NCT as an "essential service" is madness and will unnecessarily expose the public to the coronavirus.

To quote the Taoiseach, we're in a national emergency! The provision of food is essential. The supply of drugs and medicines are essential. Testing cars, most of which will be parked up in driveways as we follow the official advice to stay at home, is most definitely not essential.

Forcing drivers to bring their cars for NCT contradicts all the sensible measures that were introduced, especially the "don't travel more than 2km from your home" one.

If you feel strongly about this I would suggest you do what I just did; email the Taoiseach and ask him to reconsider this decision which is a huge mistake. (His email address is on the Dept of an Taoiseach webpage).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

In case you are wondering what to expect, I did NCT last Thursday week in Blarney.

There was a bloke in the car park masked and gloved directing people to spots. Into the reception just to show docs to masked and gloved admins, then directed back outside to wait for tester. Tester gloved and masked but who knows how often the gloves were changed. Tester drives it away and re-emerges with my bus 10 minutes later. He goes into the office to get the paperwork. Passed all tests bar lift inspection which will be done probably in 2021 at this stage. I sprayed handles wheel, gear know liberally with disinfectant and hoped for the best.

Not sure if the process is like that everywhere or whether isolation measured have been ramped up since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

In case you are wondering what to expect, I did NCT last Thursday week in Blarney.

There was a bloke in the car park masked and gloved directing people to spots. Into the reception just to show docs to masked and gloved admins, then directed back outside to wait for tester. Tester gloved and masked but who knows how often the gloves were changed. Tester drives it away and re-emerges with my bus 10 minutes later. He goes into the office to get the paperwork. Passed all tests bar lift inspection which will be done probably in 2021 at this stage. I sprayed handles wheel, gear know liberally with disinfectant and hoped for the best.

Not sure if the process is like that everywhere or whether isolation measured have been ramped up since.

What was the point of all that if you are not going to get a lift inspection until 2021? The whole thing is nuts.

My retest is due tomorrow, I take it there's no chance of a lift inspection as well? so then I would be taking a risk for nothing as I still won't have a valid NCT cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

Surprised the test staff are not giving out. They could be sitting in contaminated cars, gloves and mask on, one mistake and it's entered your system.

Wouldn't worry folks, nature will work it's course and once either a few testers sadly get the virus or members of the public suddenly develop Covid 19 symptoms it will be shut down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0328/1126954-coronavirus-tracker/
    The Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport, Shane Ross, has said National Car Testing Service (NCT), as well as the Commercial Vehicle Testing System are suspended until further notice.

https://twitter.com/RSAIreland/status/1243959168064802816

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭stesaurus

On that timeline it says confirmed that NCT is still operating and then 15 mins later Shane Ross saying suspended.
    Absolutely stupid lack of clarification but hopefully common sense prevailing. Ridiculously stupid to have this unnecessary service operating at this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Downlinz wrote: »
    You'd be mad to step into those small, confined waiting rooms at present. Absolutely insane.

I did test Friday morning and I waited outside until I saw my car come out, just read newspaper and boards to pass the time! I normally like watching my car go through the test but not this time. Passed anyway, so no more visits for 26 months assuming I keep the same car.

what a mess.Should of done them today and tomorrow to see out the week

So which is it, cancelled or not cancelled? the NCT website is still saying appointments tomorrow are going ahead. You'd think you'd get something more than a tweet...

Galadriel wrote: »
    So which is it, cancelled or not cancelled? the NCT website is still saying appointments tomorrow are going ahead. You'd think you'd get something more than a tweet...

Do they send a msg saying your appointment has been cancelled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

... if the lift inspection is carried out within 28 days of the original inspection then it's just a free lift inspection.

If the lift inspection is carried out after 28 days from the original test then it's a complete retest , but no charge .

So it's just free.

Do they send a msg saying your appointment has been cancelled?

I would like to think so. I would be even happy with something on their website. I'll keep checking to see as my retest is tomorrow afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

According to Six-one news on RTE one. NCT is closed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

An absolute mess. Shane Ross in hiding since it broke.

Mr Ross should now be cucooned ( he is over 70 )

But yes, it is an absolute mess. I can not imagine how the NCT people will keep the centres safe for the public - never mind safe for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dkd21

TallGlass2 wrote: »
    Surprised the test staff are not giving out. They could be sitting in contaminated cars, gloves and mask on, one mistake and it's entered your system.

Wouldn't worry folks, nature will work it's course and once either a few testers sadly get the virus or members of the public suddenly develop Covid 19 symptoms it will be shut down.

Why would you think the staff weren't? If they didn't close it would have come to a point were the staff walked out thats for sure..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 dominicbond

After the confusion due to the statement on the NCT site, there is now an update shutting the centres. That will be a weight off our minds.
    Take care and stay safe everyone!

COVID–19 Update – The Minister of Transport, Tourism and Sport, Shane Ross and the RSA have confirmed that the National Car Testing Service (NCT) is suspended until further notice with immediate effect. This is in order to comply with the new public restrictions to tackle the spread of the Coronavirus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

After the confusion due to the statement on the NCT site, there is now an update shutting the centres. That will be a weight off our minds.
    Take care and stay safe everyone!

COVID–19 Update – The Minister of Transport, Tourism and Sport, Shane Ross and the RSA have confirmed that the National Car Testing Service (NCT) is suspended until further notice with immediate effect. This is in order to comply with the new public restrictions to tackle the spread of the Coronavirus

About time. Shur we went decades without any testing at all, I think a few months while we get this under control isn't going to hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

No message yet. Not overly surprised. Will be a bit of messing around for the 29ers. Just unlucky.

Just distraught that the deep clean I gave the car today is an hour of my life I won’t get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭mookishboy

So my jeeps cvrt is out and I need to tax it too. Where does that leave me ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭leck

GetWithIt wrote: »
    No message yet. Not overly surprised. Will be a bit of messing around for the 29ers. Just unlucky.

Just distraught that the deep clean I gave the car today is an hour of my life I won’t get back.
    Ah, they're giving you that hour back tonight.

Just remember to put yer clock back as you don't want to be late for your trot around the garden tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

The guards won't be checking anything. They've been given instructions as such. Only if one seriously steps out of line will they intervene.
    You can pay tax online.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

auspicious wrote: »
    The guards won't be checking anything. They've been given instructions as such. Only if one seriously steps out of line will they intervene.
    You can pay tax online.

Road traffic almost gone from Gardai as they have access to all info NCT/Tax
    I do not know if they can access Insurance data.
    Like everything the old ways are gone, when i was young Tax a few months and when broke skip a few, unfortunately i lost the youth as well.
    Now i can afford NCT and its not available, it's the fn Government as usual.

That's all grand until you have an accident .
    It's illegal to drive without a valid NCT , it's a penalty point offence .
    Until the minister declares a 3 month extension to all NCT Certs then nothing has changed .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭wassie

My NCT has expired today and I had my appointment also booked for today which obviously wont be happening - not too worried about it in light of circumstances.

What I am concerned about though is not having valid insurance cover - this is wording from my Insurers Policy Booklet:
    General Exclusions
    These General Exclusions apply to the whole of this Contract of Motor Insurance and describe the things that are not covered...
    - 4 Any accident, liability, injury, loss, damage, cost or expense happens while the Insured Vehicle is:
      [*]Kept or used in an unsafe or unroadworthy condition or without a current National Car Test Certificate (NCT) or Department of Environment (DOE) Test Certificate if one is needed;
      I will be contacting my insurer tomorrow to confirm if the part of the term in bold will be waived during this time. Hopefully commonsense will prevail and insurance companies will recognise that the current issue is not the fault of the driver and it will not impact insurance policies. Essentially a continuance of the same problem caused by the impacts of non-operability of lifts at NCT centres.

• Advertisement

There needs to be clarity on this from the minister or RSA.
      Only way is to declare a 3 month extension to all existing NCT renewal dates.

Advertisement