Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCT Testing During Covid19

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭jimmyrustle

I'm open to correction but an inspector told me that if the lift inspection is carried out within 28 days of the original inspection then it's just a free lift inspection.

If the lift inspection is carried out after 28 days from the original test then it's a complete retest , but no charge .

That's from the inspector who did mine in Deansgrange last week.

Is the engine checked on the non lift inspection?

That's all grand until you have an accident .
    It's illegal to drive without a valid NCT , it's a penalty point offence .
    Until the minister declares a 3 month extension to all NCT Certs then nothing has changed .

Wasn't this all waived because of the initial nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

mookishboy wrote: »
    So my jeeps cvrt is out and I need to tax it too. Where does that leave me ?

Safer.... stay at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭wassie

There needs to be clarity on this from the minister or RSA.
    Only way is to declare a 3 month extension to all existing NCT renewal dates.

Im my case I would agree. The 3 month extension would mean I don't 'need' an NCT until that time and therefore I'm not contravening my policy T&Cs.

The NCT website does state "Further information for customers will be provided over the coming days." Hopefully that will clarify the situation then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭acequion

My NCT is out since the end of February. I've basically been too afraid to go get it done. At mo I'm basically just driving to my local supermarket once or twice a week. But what would happen if I had an accident?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

Yes

Yes
    Wasn't this all waived because of the initial nonsense?
    No , nothing was waived.

acequion wrote: »
    My NCT is out since the end of February. I've basically been too afraid to go get it done. At mo I'm basically just driving to my local supermarket once or twice a week. But what would happen if I had an accident?

No one can say for sure.

My view would be that by not even attempting to do anything to get your NCT (eg make an appointment), then you are in a weaker position that if you had at least tried should you have an accident.

Then again, given the current circumstances, rulings could be made that will apply to all rather than any one individual case.

No , nothing was waived.

But they aren't enforcing it, so as good as?

Regardless of whether the Gardaí enforce it or not (as things stand it is still a penalty point offence to drive without a valid NCT) , should you have an accident you could find that your insurance is invalid.
    You need to check your policy document.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I find it a bit amusing that so many here called for S Ross to quit his post after the election and now that he has gone to ground, as requested, some of those folks are calling him out, asking, where is he!

Dan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

A 3-month extension is not common sense; there should be at least a 6-month extension. A lot of people in Ireland think that everything will be fine after 3 months, but in reality the virus will still be prevalent all around the country, and while the curve might be flattened (hopefully), there should not be a rush by everyone in early July to get their vehicles tested. It is just common sense to make the extension at least 6 months. The RSA and private NCT company have really screwed up the process with both the delay in halting testing and the issue with the lifts.

In the UK and north of the border, they automatically grant a six-month extension to your current MOT, as long as it does not run out before March 30th. The last part is silly because in the current lock down there will be a scramble by a lot of people to get tested i.e. those who were due the test in March or prior months. Hopefully, the RSA will not copy this part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I find it a bit amusing that so many here called for S Ross to quit his post after the election and now that he has gone to ground, as requested, some of those folks are calling him out, asking, where is he!

He didn't quit though. So it's still his remit. If he'd have quit perhaps his replacement might actually have done something. Instead everything is left in legal limbo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just found this and no reason why it won't be applied to the current situation

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/insurers-will-not-add-to-inconvenience-of-partially-suspended-nct-tests-978679.html
    The director of Government Affairs with Insurance Ireland, Declan Jackson, has moved to reassure motorists that their insurance will still be valid even if they don’t have a completed National Car Test Service (NCTS) test.

His comment follows a decision by the NCTS to suspend an element of the national car test to establish the roadworthiness of vehicles over safety fears.

The NCTS said it had made the decision to discontinue the use of vehicle inspection lifts across its network “with immediate effect” until a full condition survey of all lifts is completed.

Mr Jackson told RTÉ radio’s Today with Séan O’Rourke show that insurers will be pragmatic. Motorists cannot be held responsible for something that was not their fault.

Latest update/FAQ on NCT website provided similar information. (amongst other things):
    My current NCT has expired or expires shortly, can I still drive my vehicle without an NCT?

- The Government have suspended NCT testing and are asking the public to stay at home and only drive vehicles for essential business.

Will not having a completed NCT impact on my car insurance?

- As the public restrictions prevent customers from having an NCT, we understand the Insurance industry have taken a pragmatic position. Please check with your Insurance Company to confirm.

Regardless of the above, I will still be contacting my insurer to confirm that my cover will be valid without NCT as anything else is simply someones opinion.

This came up before (before the lift crisis) where a car without a NCT was in a crash with no NCT. I can't remember what was the outcome of that. Impossible to find it now.

Minister Ross has stated today that he is "looking at introducing measures that will extend the period of validity of these official documents and hope to provide further detail for the public next week." If so that would put an end to the uncertainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,704 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

wassie wrote: »
    Latest update/FAQ on NCT website provided similar information. (amongst other things):
    My current NCT has expired or expires shortly, can I still drive my vehicle without an NCT?

- The Government have suspended NCT testing and are asking the public to stay at home and only drive vehicles for essential business.

Will not having a completed NCT impact on my car insurance?

- As the public restrictions prevent customers from having an NCT, we understand the Insurance industry have taken a pragmatic position. Please check with your Insurance Company to confirm.

Regardless of the above, I will still be contacting my insurer to confirm that my cover will be valid without NCT as anything else is simply someones opinion.

Total cop-out. Fails to answer either question. Corporate non-speak arse-covering at its finest.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,704 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

He has been forced out of his post by his constituents, the only theoretical path to him remaining as a minister is for the new Taoiseach (when we get one) to nominate him to the Seanad! and I've a better chance of being crowned Miss World

Until we get a new government, he still has a job to do (and is getting very handsomely paid for it) so he should bloody well be doing that job. It has been predictable for many weeks that we would very likely end up in the current situation, yet no preparations were made, they cancelled tests then restarted testing the next day then cancelled it again. FFS. And still nothing other than vague reassurances that "something will be worked out, sometime"

The way this NCT fiasco has been handled (and the lift fiasco before it) is proof, yet again, that Ross is incapable of organising a piss-up in a brewery.

As Kivaro said, at least a 6-month extension across the board is needed. There was already a backlog of tests due to the stupid decision to carry out partial tests which were in effect useless, instead of cancelling all appointments without lifts and extending validity of certs to cover that period.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I suspect that this half-test that has being imposed for the last few months is completely illegal.
    I wonder has anyone got payment ticket/court summons/penalty points since this half-test was introduced.
    I be surprised if this the case as it likely be thrown out of court as no legislation.
    The trouble is having while to return inconvenient going to court costs money.

• Advertisement

Does anybody know if there has been any update on the insurance position of cars with out of date NCTs?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Does anybody know if there has been any update on the insurance position of cars with out of date NCTs?

Check your insurer website.

123 and Allianz have an update confirming they will keep the cover in place for now.

Not sure about the others.

They have no choice really.

Make sure you only do essential journeys though, as Garda issued nothing so far, but they are aware of the situation.

wonski wrote: »
    Check your insurer website.

123 and Allianz have an update confirming they will keep the cover in place for now.

Not sure about the others.

They have no choice really.

Make sure you only do essential journeys though, as Garda issued nothing so far, but they are aware of the situation.

Thanks for the reply. I'm with Aviva and as yet they've no update.

Car is due to be taxed at the end of the month and no idea if I can tax it without the NCT.

I agree that it's best to do only essential trips to the supermarket /pharmacy.

I really was afraid to get the NCT done in March as I live with a vulnerable person and just would not take the risk. But I was eventually going to and went to book online but then they closed. So at least I tried.

But yes, it's high time clear directives were issued and at least relieve people of that uncertainty. In my area I'm told the Guards are checking the discs on people's cars as well as checking where they're going. FFS would they give people a break.:mad:

Car is due to be taxed at the end of the month and no idea if I can tax it without the NCT.

I really was afraid to get the NCT done in March as I live with a vulnerable person and just would not take the risk. But I was eventually going to and went to book online but then they closed. So at least I tried.

But yes, it's high time clear directives were issued and at least relieve people of that uncertainty. In my area I'm told the Guards are checking the discs on people's cars as well as checking where they're going. FFS would they give people a break.:mad:

Went through 3 check points and they are checking things, but don't worry too much about nct.

Insurance, tax can be paid for online. Nct can't. They don't just fine people for nct.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

You can tax online anytime. It's the NCT that'll be a potential issue.

If your nct was up before the restrictions came in and the test centres were open then sorry but insurers are well within their right to refuse to insure and the gardai can enforce road traffic acts. It's up to whatever garda stops you.

If it was up or will expire during restrictions or if you got a date but it was cancelled then for the gardai thats fine they'll let you through. My NCT was up 1st April and booked but centres are closed. Produce the booking confirmation at any checkpoints and they've let me through.

If your nct was up before the restrictions came in and the test centres were open then sorry but insurers are well within their right to refuse to insure ....

It was a lottery when they were still open if you could get an appointment for a lift, and then double lottery to get a third appointment one if it failed the lift when you got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,250 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I think check with your insurance company

I assume if you are driving for shopping or medicine you would be ok if involved in an accident

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

beauf wrote: »
    It was a lottery when they were still open if you could get an appointment for a lift, and then double lottery to get a third appointment one if it failed the lift when you got it.

Most of the lifts were back in operation though.

Anyway that's the info I got from a garda as to what the state of play was.

I'd mine for this week for a full test and it was cancelled. No issue getting an appointment. Showed him the confirmation email and was waved on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Most of the lifts were back in operation though.

Anyway that's the info I got from a garda as to what the state of play was.

I'd mine for this week for a full test and it was cancelled. No issue getting an appointment. Showed him the confirmation email and was waved on

I had my NCT in March, it failed on a minor thing plus there was no lift. I had a retest cancelled due to the closures so now I've no idea where I stand.

• Advertisement

You can tax online anytime. It's the NCT that'll be a potential issue.

If your nct was up before the restrictions came in and the test centres were open then sorry but insurers are well within their right to refuse to insure and the gardai can enforce road traffic acts. It's up to whatever garda stops you.

If it was up or will expire during restrictions or if you got a date but it was cancelled then for the gardai thats fine they'll let you through. My NCT was up 1st April and booked but centres are closed. Produce the booking confirmation at any checkpoints and they've let me through.

No. It's your opinion on it rather than anything else.

You do not decide which test is valid and which isn't.

Then sorry what sort of info is that?

Advertisement