Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCT Testing During Covid19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Galadriel wrote: »
    I had my NCT in March, it failed on a minor thing plus there was no lift. I had a retest cancelled due to the closures so now I've no idea where I stand.

I'd say your grand, you were effected by lift issues. I'd carry the confirmation that you had a test booked, that's got me through any checkpoint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Most of the lifts were back in operation though....

They certainly said that, but yet you couldn't get an appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

I'd say your grand, you were effected by lift issues. I'd carry the confirmation that you had a test booked, that's got me through any checkpoint

Hopefully, I tried to book my retest within 2 days of the failure and could only get an appointment 3 weeks later. Otherwise I might have been done and dusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Most of the lifts were back in operation though.

No they weren't. They were all supposed to be replaced or fixed in march and April

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭acequion

I'd be very surprised if anybody had a problem over something like that in the current situation. You can't be certain,I know and that's why I wish they'd issue clarifications.

I do have the print out that I tried to book a test and it will just have to do.

Giving somebody penalty points at the moment for not having an up to date nct would be completely ott and disputable, I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭wassie

Agreed. A clarification is overdue since they said they would make a formal announcement in the 'coming days' at the end of March. Whilst its generally accepted that an expired NCT wont cause an issue with the authorities, you should not rely any assurances when it comes to insurance. I sent a quick email to my insurance company asking this and they confirmed such.

From the NCT FAQ website https://www.ncts.ie/1115
    7. Will not having a completed NCT impact on my car insurance?

As the public restrictions prevent customers from having an NCT, we understand the Insurance industry have taken a pragmatic position. Please check with your Insurance Company to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

Website still says RSA services back on the 19th.Have not updated the website since 28th of March.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Website still says RSA services back on the 19th.Have not updated the website since 28th of March.

NCT aren't open then anyway I can confirm that

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭cudsy1

This email is to confirm Customers unable to complete medical or NCT tests will not be restricted from renewing their policies at this time.

You are still covered to drive although your NCT is just out.

We will need these documents once we return to normal trading practice.

Kind regards,

I got this reply from RSA after I queried

• Registered Users Posts: 18 dominicbond

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Not sure this will help those who had expired Ncts now..

Unless I am reading it wrong it is effective from today only and is not backdated?

Quote from the article :

The change means that for any person whose licence, permit, certificate, or NCT expires today, it will be valid for an extra four months. The same circumstances will apply to anyone whose documentation is due to expire before the end of June and they will automatically receive a four-month extension.

wonski wrote: »

Unless I am reading it wrong it is effective from today only and is not backdated?

Quote from the article :

The change means that for any person whose licence, permit, certificate, or NCT expires today, it will be valid for an extra four months. The same circumstances will apply to anyone whose documentation is due to expire before the end of June and they will automatically receive a four-month extension.

Mine expired end of March, had a test booked which got cancelled given the circumstances. Printed off the booking confirmation and any gardai at checkpoints have been fine with having that

Quote from the article :

My wife's car's NCT expires in July. I tried to book that for a week before expiry but no appointments are being taken. I can foresee a rush then with the Coronavirus and lift backlog. I wonder if that was taken into account????

Mine expired end of March, had a test booked which got cancelled given the circumstances. Printed off the booking confirmation and any gardai at checkpoints have been fine with having that

I am not too worried about Gardai or anything else to be fair. Insurance also fine with this. Just think they should backdate it so people like me and you can get to work or shops without worrying about one disc out of date.

I just live with that, but not the solution I was hoping for. The nct is out of action for weeks, but they only extend the ones that expire today until end of June. Well. Not that I expected anything at all anyway.

I am not too worried about Gardai or anything else to be fair. Insurance also fine with this. Just think they should backdate it so people like me and you can get to work or shops without worrying about one disc out of date.

I just live with that, but not the solution I was hoping for. The nct is out of action for weeks, but they only extend the ones that expire today until end of June. Well. Not that I expected anything at all anyway.

I'd say it's back dated, they've been closed for a few weeks. Would have to be.

But yeah haven't had any issues so far. Insurers all said a few weeks ago that insurance would continue and renewals would be fine

I'd say it's back dated, they've been closed for a few weeks. Would have to be.

But yeah haven't had any issues so far. Insurers all said a few weeks ago that insurance would continue and renewals would be fine

Surely there must be a provision for this, also those who were to return their cars for a failure or lift re-test and also those whose test may had been cancelled by NCTS for operational reasons immediately before the lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭calgary bound

I got the first part of the test done in early March but due to the lift problem, the test is incomplete. Could be a long time until they clear the backlog of people who have to come back for those follow ups as well as full tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Same here. No issue with Gardai at all showing the booking. Doing very little driving so hoping my diesels won't have a heart attack trying to pass the emissions test.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

smurgen wrote: »
    Same here. No issue with Gardai at all showing the booking. Doing very little driving so hoping my diesels won't have a heart attack trying to pass the emissions test.

Buy a bottle of Dipetane for a tenner from any motor factors and put some in your diesel tank a week or two before the test . Drive as normal . Will clean your fuel system and reduce emissions considerably.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I am just wondering if the Gardai asked for the incomplete cert.
    I would have thought they not bother with this one as they cannot
    enforce this i be thinking.
    I was stopped the other day and all they asked for was licence.
    NCT cert out of date...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

I am just wondering if the Gardai asked for the incomplete cert.
    I would have thought they not bother with this one as they cannot
    enforce this i be thinking.
    I was stopped the other day and all they asked for was licence.
    NCT cert out of date...

No just looked at the disk and I showed them the booking in my phone email. I had made the booking at was due to have my test bit then it was all called off. Car service etc all done so hopefully will go through in the first go.

Just saw there the 4 months only applies to tests due from the 28th, mine expired 25th so leaves a complete grey area

Just saw there the 4 months only applies to tests due from the 28th, mine expired 25th so leaves a complete grey area

Mine on 24th I think...lol

Mine on 24th I think...lol

Just going to keep the test confirmation in the car and book a date as soon as they give the go ahead for them to reopen. Like it's fairly easy to social distance in a test centre.

Cant see the gardai having an issue at the moment.
    Couldn't get an appointment due to the lifts then finally get one and theres a month wait then covid hits, talk about timing

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

Hi,

Is there any indication when NCT centres will be back up running?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭sassyj

Do NCT normally contact people when first NCT is due? I thought they used to, I have now realised mine was due before the 28 Match so I am not covered by the extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

They used to, and I think I got a mail when first NCT was due on my current car last year.

For covid - a car previously due its first NCT in April will now have a test due date in August 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭acequion

sassyj wrote: »
    Do NCT normally contact people when first NCT is due? I thought they used to, I have now realised mine was due before the 28 Match so I am not covered by the extension.

I'm in the same boat though I did try to get it done just before the closure and was just too late. I have the email proving that with me in the car.

But though I have to drive it to the supermarket once weekly as I'm the only one who can in the household and we need our supplies, I feel anxious about my insurance. It's a very grey area.

Does anybody know when they'll start testing again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

acequion wrote: »
    Does anybody know when they'll start testing again?
    All the info that exist is "until further notice" and "The full service will reopen when we are instructed to do so by the Irish Government"

There is a thread on this in Motors forum
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058065043

Advertisement