Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCT Testing During Covid19

Options
123457»

Comments

Does the owner need to bring the vehicle or can someone else bring it as a representative? My mother is due her NCT next week how ever is fearful of going to the centre herself at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Does the owner need to bring the vehicle or can someone else bring it as a representative? My mother is due her NCT next week how ever is fearful of going to the centre herself at the moment

I bring my wife's car all the time. Just need your license for ID purposes and the booking confirmation.

Have my own NCT on Wednesday. In Kells. I'd say it's the first time I've ever looked forward to one. It'll be nice to go for a spin on my own in the car :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Anybody can bring the car for the test, just make sure you have your driving licence and the log book with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

emy wrote: »
    Hi all,
    My NCT was due back in Sept 2020, with the Covid19 thing, it has postponed to this month on the 20 of JAN 2021. I tried to book it, the next available is in March on the 10th. I do not know what to do. I ve sent an email to the NCT to see what to do. I should have booked it in advanced with more than a month....to late now.

I must have got lucky when I logged on this morning. Was in the exact same position as you (sep 2020 extension). But when I checked this morning I was provided with loads of options for dates and times in the next week at my local centre in Kells. I was worried I wouldn't get a slot when I first logged on but could believe the amount of times available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

emy wrote: »
    Hi all,
    My NCT was due back in Sept 2020, with the Covid19 thing, it has postponed to this month on the 20 of JAN 2021. I tried to book it, the next available is in March on the 10th. I do not know what to do. I ve sent an email to the NCT to see what to do. I should have booked it in advanced with more than a month....to late now.

Keep checking, they release appointments almost daily. Or call them up and be put on the shortlist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭emy

I must have got lucky when I logged on this morning. Was in the exact same position as you (sep 2020 extension). But when I checked this morning I was provided with loads of options for dates and times in the next week at my local centre in Kells. I was worried I wouldn't get a slot when I first logged on but could believe the amount of times available.

In fact it was only one available on the 18th this month, at 8:45 in the morning, when i checked.... after a few minutes was gone :( ...anyway I called them now and put me on priority list, within 4 weeks I'll be getting the NCT done, I was told. Now I am waiting for a text with the booking day!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Illium

My original NCT is due to expire tomorrow.

But I'm not legally due to have one again for four months due to the extension.

My questions: Should I keep my expired disc in the car?

Can I apply for a disc to take me up to four months?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Keep your disc where it is and they won't issue new discs. Gardai is aware of the extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tpcl20

Do you need to have the old disc with you for the test? I have the cert from last time but the disc is nowhere to be found.

You don't need the disc for nct.

I would keep the cert in the wallet to show it to the Garda, though. Or apply for replacement disc (there is a fee). I would personally apply for replacement to avoid problems for the next 4 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Illium wrote: »
    My original NCT is due to expire tomorrow.

But I'm not legally due to have one again for four months due to the extension.

My questions: Should I keep my expired disc in the car?

Can I apply for a disc to take me up to four months?

My NCT expired on the 4th January, I was not given an extension, what way does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,403 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Galadriel wrote: »
    My NCT expired on the 4th January, I was not given an extension, what way does it work?

Check on NCT.ie with your vehicle reg what date it has for yours to expire, very possible you have been given an extension.

Check on NCT.ie with your vehicle reg what date it has for yours to expire, very possible you have been given an extension.

Yeah, I checked it out last month and no extension so I just booked my test for a few weeks away, typical!

That's not possible unless you already had your nct extended in September.

If your nct was due to expire in January - based on the disc and cert - it was automatically extended by four months.

wonski wrote: »
    That's not possible unless you already had your nct extended in September.

If your nct was due to expire in January - based on the disc and cert - it was automatically extended by four months.

No, I've never had an extension. It was due last year on the 4th January and I couldn't get an appointment until March, it failed on a small thing but I couldn't get a re-test then until 26 days later, then Covid happened. So once the centres re-opened during the Summer I booked in for the re-test and it passed. I don't get it either, I seem to be the only person not to have gotten an extension!

EDIT: unless it's due to the fact I didn't have a cert from January until the re-test during the Summer?

No, I've never had an extension. It was due last year on the 4th January and I couldn't get an appointment until March, it failed on a small thing but I couldn't get a re-test then until 26 days later, then Covid happened. So once the centres re-opened during the Summer I booked in for the re-test and it passed. I don't get it either, I seem to be the only person not to have gotten an extension!

EDIT: unless it's due to the fact I didn't have a cert from January until the re-test during the Summer?

Well if it expired in January 2020 then you had no extension, and even if there was it would expire by now...

I thought it expired this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭1123heavy

I bought a car on the 16th September 2020. It had NCT valid until 5th September 2020. When I bought it I looked at sending it for the NCT, the new test date was 25th January 2021 and I could find no dates available until today. I took my car for the NCT and it failed, though I was not served a dangerous vehicle notice nor told I could not drive it.

Literally about 3 hrs after the test, I was parked on a street and the rear of the car was edging over a double yellow line. I came back to the car to find a Garda standing over it with some apparatus. Yellow line issues aside, he told me the car was on the road illegally as it had an invalid NCT cert, the one on display was 05 Sep 2020. I made the point about COVID and the new test date/4+ months delay, he insisted I was in the wrong and the car was on the road illegally .. implying to me any date post what the cert said was 'illegal' in his words - something that's surely wrong.

I then explained I literally went in as soon as I could; a few hours earlier, and will be having a retest. I pulled out the proof of having been for the test today.

He told me the car was liable to be seized on the spot for not having valid NCT and because it failed today. He did not seize it and essentially made it out that he was doing me a favour. I was 99% sure he was wrong but bit my tongue.

Can anyone advise who was right? The gov granted an alleviation, my new test date was this week, how was I ever supposed to do it beforehand.

Advertisement