Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or have SF vanished?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Sultan_of_Ping

Yurt! wrote: »
    He's a housing economist actually, the best regarded one in the country. Sorry.

Somehow, I think the "regard" he enjoys is because he supports SF's policy at some abstract level.

We had posters here citing Ferriter, for example, when he was critical of FG, but not so much when he was critical of SF (and the economic impact of unification).

SF tend to have a very ala carter approach when it comes to the experts they cite in support of their policies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

You've provided no credible cross examination yourself. Just a poor understanding of the facts laid out and doctrinaire nonsense. Fairly typical brughaha and bully-boy tactics from FG supporters.

It's why you got shellacked at election time.

Would this be you equivicating again?
    Tell me,how is my understanding of that morning Ireland advertorial poor?
    I raised a few questions, none of which you answered
    Your link
    You're not defending it being(rather easily) torn apart

• Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

He's a housing economist actually, the best regarded one in the country. Sorry.

Best regarded by whom?

He is a Senior Lecturer in TUDublin, formerly DIT. He is not a Professor, he is just media-friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You've provided no credible cross examination yourself. Just a poor understanding of the facts laid out and doctrinaire nonsense. Fairly typical brughaha and bully-boy tactics from FG supporters.

It's why you got shellacked at election time.

On the one hand we have one journalist economist on a podcast, possible politically motivated, on the other hand we have a mountain of evidence that he is wrong.

Yes somehow you think his thesis is the one that needs cross-examination.

Somehow, I think the "regard" he enjoys is because he supports SF's policy at some abstract level.

We had posters here citing Ferriter, for example, when he was critical of FG, but not so much when he was critical of SF (and the economic impact of unification).

SF tend to have a very ala carter approach when it comes to the experts they cite in support of their policies.

Far more interesting that they endorse a situation where the State loses both assets and taxes. When FG do that it's called neo-liberal. Goes to show that context is key I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

They should never have been allowed to build there. The countryside is destroyed.

Rundale system, goes back hundreds of years,in later years council got 7,000 for development fees, another 1 or 2 for water and the ESB got 1800, more houses more money in the LA coffers add in a few bungs for planning and it had to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

You obviously didn't read the policy document or listen to the linked item from Morning Ireland

The vast majority of builds are intended to be affordable purchase under the Cluid model. Another significant portion will be affordable rental, and the minority of units social housing as we now know it.

So yes, you're spouting complete political guff.

But I did... It sounds so dreamy. Obviously costed as can usually be expected.

It's almost as if the brothers Grimm wrote the policy document. How does Cluid housing work when it gets tenants like Sinn Feins own Violet Anne Wynn? Apparently the argument is that private housing doesn't provide an asset at the end . But SF won't end that - there's no way they will stop council tenants buying out our public housing.

234k per house is what is quoted on what you have linked - so how many houses will the extra 6.5bn provide. Not 100k houses for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

234k per house is what is quoted on what you have linked - so how many houses will the extra 6.5bn provide. Not 100k houses for sure.

That's because nobody, not SF or anyone else is claiming you'll build 100k houses @ 234k for 6.5bn.

You obviously didn't take the cotton wool out of your ears when listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

blanch152 wrote: »
    On the one hand we have one journalist economist on a podcast, possible politically motivated, on the other hand we have a mountain of evidence that he is wrong.

Yes somehow you think his thesis is the one that needs cross-examination.

He's not a journalist-economist, he's a professional housing economist lecturing and researching out of DIT. I don't see any evidence he's politically motivated, but it sure is hell inconvenient that an expert on the economics of housing and housing provision endorses a policy position you spend so much time trying to mock. I'm not sure you've spent a second even trying to understand it - your default position is to sling insults, even though it's blatantly a better thought out policy than anything FG have come up with. It's why FG don't deserve a vote, even with credible solutions staring them in the face, they don't take time to understand them and find them deeply threatening. Fact is, they never had any intention to lift a finger and seriously address housing.

If there's evidence he's 'wrong' it hasn't been provided in this thread.

Coronavirus: Sinn Fein claims ‘we’re coping’ as it rejects Army help
    In an interview with RTE on Saturday, Ms O’Neill said “we have to do everything necessary to save lives”, but then went on to say: “I don’t believe that British Army assistance is necessary at this point. I believe that all of our modelling indicates that we are coping, albeit in the most challenging of circumstances.”

How crazy are SF? NI may well be "coping" but I'm guessing that in this pandemic you really can't have enough resources at your disposal - rejecting assistance that could help save lives, or even just take some of the pressure off the already employed resources just seems bonkers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Easter Monday!

SF normally have their "alternative" march and commemoration today, (the day after the official 1916 commemorations), so I wonder will they have an online 'virtual' march down O'Connell Street today?

Actually, going forward after the virus has been kept under control, will SF abandon their Monday event in favour of the official event on the Sunday?

Could they be in government and still retain their unofficial Easter Monday march?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Easter Monday!

SF normally have their "alternative" march and commemoration today, (the day after the official 1916 commemorations), so I wonder will they have an online 'virtual' march down O'Connell Street today?

Actually, going forward after the virus has been kept under control, will SF abandon their Monday event in favour of the official event on the Sunday?

Could they be in government and still retain their unofficial Easter Monday march?

why do they have the alternative march?

But I did... It sounds so dreamy. Obviously costed as can usually be expected.

It's almost as if the brothers Grimm wrote the policy document. How does Cluid housing work when it gets tenants like Sinn Feins own Violet Anne Wynn? Apparently the argument is that private housing doesn't provide an asset at the end . But SF won't end that - there's no way they will stop council tenants buying out our public housing.

They wouldn't be tenants. It's an asset-transfer. The state gives away an asset (land) for free and doesn't seek rates (taxes) on the development.

Opens the issue of when should the State give away assets for free though. Housing is essential, but so are things like water, broadband etc. How far should the State be able to go in divesting itself of assets?

The broader point of how the State should deal with tenants who don't pay rent was asked a day ago, still waiting for an answer on it. As pointed out, DCC alone is owned 33 million euro in backrent.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-city-council-5-4956180-Jan2020/

Interesting that Lorcan Sirr also calls for tax equalisation between small landlords and big landlords. As big landlords pay less taxes than small ones, bringing small landlords into line with them would have the effect of reducing the tax take.

Whatever else they are, neither O'Cualann or tax relief for small landlords are left wing policies.

I have no idea why, do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Why does Lieo have an alternative flag for Easter?What has the U.N got to do with Easter?

https://twitter.com/LeoVaradkar/status/1249278839466983424?s=19

smurgen wrote: »
    Why does Lieo have an alternative flag for Easter?What has the U.N got to do with Easter?

you just answered your own question. now how about answering the original one?

I have no idea why, do you?

nope

But why traditionally do SF have an alternative march on Easter Monday. Any takers?

But why traditionally do SF have an alternative march in Easter Monday. Any takers?

must be a pretty poor reason considering how touchy smurgen is about it :D

Because Óglaigh na hÉireann have been engaged in humanitarian and peacekeeping missions as part of our UN commitment for longer than any other military in the world.

No harm in recognising their professionalism and commitment at a time and place critical in their and our history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Oh dear.

Pat yourself on the back there.

Because Óglaigh na hÉireann have been engaged in humanitarian and peacekeeping missions as part of our UN commitment for longer than any other military in the world.

No harm in recognising their professionalism and commitment at a time and place critical in their and our history.

Not in dispute. But wouldn't December 14th be more appropriate for celebrating this? They had nothing to do with Easter in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

You obviously didn't read the policy document or listen to the linked item from Morning Ireland

The vast majority of builds are intended to be affordable purchase under the Cluid model. Another significant portion will be affordable rental, and the minority of units social housing as we now know it.

So yes, you're spouting complete political guff.

Did we ever get an answer from Mary Lou who would build these homes other than tradespeople will come home from Australia and NZ when they see their country needs them!!!

Oh and the other nugget she came up with was we stop building hotels and tell builders they have to build social housing because she said so!!!!

Ah lads come on, let's be realistic here...

Not in dispute. But wouldn't December 14th be more appropriate for celebrating this? They had nothing to do with Easter in Ireland.

Neither did the Dutch and yet we've tulips in the photo too

To be honest, the reason the UN flag was hoisted had to do with something SF will never understand.......us being an outward looking country. Why not share the moment with the wider world?

And yes, there probably was a political dimension to it, given the upcoming vote on our SC membership.

But really, when it comes to the politicisation of symbols, dates, "flegs" and even language, SF really have no ground to stand on when it comes to questioning others.

Oh dear.

Pat yourself on the back there.

Well if you lads want to take digs we can engage in that. I've no problem. I'm curious however at to why is Leo the liar making a song and dance about the U.N flag when the Tricolour is one of main ceremonial symbols during the Easter celebrations and has been since 1916?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Busterie

SF are back complaining about the British army helping in the battle against Covid-19.Maybe Michelle O'Neill should spend her time doing what she does best, doing her hair and make up.

Well if you lads want to take digs we can engage in that. I've no problem. I'm curious however at to why is Leo the liar making a song and dance about the U.N flag when the Tricolour is one of main ceremonial symbols during the Easter celebrations and has been since 1916?

What day in 1916?

Busterie wrote: »
    SF are back complaining about the British army helping in the battle against Covid-19.Maybe Michelle O'Neill should spend her time doing what she does best, doing her hair and make up.

Thats what she does best...:eek:

must be a pretty poor reason considering how touchy smurgen is about it :D

Do you ever post anything of substance. I notice you as some sort of self appointed ref between posters? If you're not getting paid to do this it's some truly bizarre behaviour.

• Advertisement

Did we ever get an answer from Mary Lou who would build these homes other than tradespeople will come home from Australia and NZ when they see their country needs them!!!

Oh and the other nugget she came up with was we stop building hotels and tell builders they have to build social housing because she said so!!!!

Ah lads come on, let's be realistic here...

Serious bang of snobbery off ladz here....every factory line is full of tradesmen aswell

I know literally dozens lada qualified,who are working in factories,driving trucks,working at milking cows etc etc,whether these wpuld return to building is another qs....

.i seriously wonder do people posting here,ever meet anyone outside their office.....theres rake of tradesmen who never set foot in oz/nz as many again have returned....people are returning from canada in their droves (serious pinch coming on rental properties in next few months there too)

As for stopping people building x....just introduce tax breaks/penalties for drive building towards targeted areas

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement