Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or have SF vanished?

Options

Comments

I really think you're getting outraged over a few posters.

When Leo said he was going back to work on covid 19 I seen loads of comments from people online saying they hope he catches it and dies.

Online is nasty towards politicians.

Really don't take it personally because of a few people.

That was also wrong,2 wrongs dont make a right!!

Be the change you want to see in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

That was also wrong,2 wrongs dont make a right!!

Be the change you want to see in the world

Agreed.

But the online world is full of these comments.

Like I don't see the point in getting outraged about it.

Its only comments behind a keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,067 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

A parrot

Lol. Not at all.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,149 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I consider myself neutral in party politics, just go for whoever seems to have the smartest approach. Head over heart approaches.

Now, I have to say it doesn't speak well of Sinn Fein that while Mary was out sick, the rest of them, like Doherty and O'Broin, pretty much sat on their hands and left this open goal for FF and FG to walk into. If FF and FG do end up setting out a government from here, I believe SF have no one to blame but themselves. After they "won" the election (it was pretty much a 3 way draw) FG stood back and let them get on with trying to form a government, once Covid 19 hit, FG went into caretaker government mode, as you would expect, and impressed a lot of people both home and away. The country is almost unrecognisable from that which went to the polls in February and SF will have to look and see how much we need left politics right now. I would say not as much as we did in February.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

McMurphy wrote: »
    She did, but it was still mocked and belittled on here by some, anything to score a point I suppose.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/coronavirus-ireland-sinn-feins-mary-17984471

26th of March.

Nowhere in that article does it say she was tested for covid19. That's my point. Why did she not come out and say she was being tested like other people who had symptoms and were being tested?

• Advertisement

flazio wrote: »
    I consider myself neutral in party politics, just go for whoever seems to have the smartest approach. Head over heart approaches.

Now, I have to say it doesn't speak well of Sinn Fein that while Mary was out sick, the rest of them, like Doherty and O'Broin, pretty much sat on their hands and left this open goal for FF and FG to walk into. If FF and FG do end up setting out a government from here, I believe SF have no one to blame but themselves. After they "won" the election (it was pretty much a 3 way draw) FG stood back and let them get on with trying to form a government, once Covid 19 hit, FG went into caretaker government mode, as you would expect, and impressed a lot of people both home and away. The country is almost unrecognisable from that which went to the polls in February and SF will have to look and see how much we need left politics right now. I would say not as much as we did in February.

The last thing in the world we need now is left wing politics. Sinn Fein had their chance and they blew it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Its always all about Mary Lou. FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

It won't be long before we see FF and FG back to their sh*t again. No doubt SF could have played the last few weeks a bit better but unfortunately for them Mary Lou was unable to do much.
    Tough times ahead.
    FFFG will be given the benefit of doubt for many things as the world tries to recover, but if they hit too many obstacles, there may be an election sooner than later.
    SF will likely still be the largest party outside of those two, but I would guess that some of the others will have grown a fair bit by then too.
    This years election and the greed of the two civil war parties has changed politics in Ireland a lot.
    Tough and interesting times ahead. There will be a lot of people waiting for these to fail. Next election results may (hopefully) be a bit more like some of the other European multi-party countries.

Yurt! wrote: »
    20 year clawback arrangements in favour of the council (who provided the land) are already in place in the O Cualann affordable purchase units Including letting which triggers the clawback.

Like I said, do the research.

You're reflexive ideological position is that 'this can't be done' at every turn.

Questioning how much the asset you want the State to give away for free is hardly a reflexive ideological position tbf.

Feel free to answer about the profit margins etc whenever suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,949 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I don't support SF and am not a fan of Mary Lou McDonald.

However, seeing the photos of her it is clear that she is very unwell. I wish her only the best in her recovery, as I'm sure most people do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

aido79 wrote: »
    Nowhere in that article does it say she was tested for covid19. That's my point. Why did she not come out and say she was being tested like other people who had symptoms and were being tested?

That's not your point, not your point at all.

As it stands you've merely changed your initial stance from
    you wrote:
    should she not have made it public that she had symptoms and was being tested. It's really strange that she just said nothing and just disappeared regardless

To
    also you wrote:
    Why did she not come out and say she was being tested like other people who had symptoms and were being tested

after the barrage of abuse she got after taking some precautions after her kids school had some positive cases, I'm not surprised she didn't jump the gun and tell people she was going to be tested (the article describes her seeking a doctor's advice as she had developed head cold symptoms) - sure it wouldn't have served any other purpose than for the same posters to imply she was an attention seeking diva etc (I seen one poster who has actually posted not that long ago in this very thread describe her as Helen of Troy or something similar when she initially made the statement of being unwell).

Imagine the furore around here had she of disclosed she was going to be tested, and it later came back negative.

You specifically said she just said nothing about being sick and disappeared - when given a source as to how that was wrong you move the goalposts as to why did she not say she had covid 19 symptoms (which are akin to a flu/cold) and inform us all that she was being tested.

No doubt she would have been wrong in your eyes no matter what she did.

Lads is this all we have to talk about here?

Mary Lou tested positive for covid 19, few posters here didn't think she had it.

She did and is now recovering and I wish her well, we all do.

Is there anything else to really be said on the matter?

Lads is this all we have to talk about here?

Mary Lou tested positive for covid 19, few posters here didn't think she had it.

She did and is now recovering and I wish her well, we all do.

Is there anything else to really be said on the matter?

Wait, you don't want people to discuss the president of Sinn Fein in a fupping Sinn Fein thread now?

No doubt had McDonald made it public she was to be tested for covid19 and those tests later emerged to be negative a complete and utter circle jerk would have emerged mocking her, of which you most prob would be in the midst of it up to your oxters.

Wait, you don't want people to discuss the president of Sinn Fein in a fupping Sinn Fein thread now?

No doubt had McDonald made it public she was to be tested for covid19 and those tests later emerged to be negative a complete and utter circle jerk would have emerged mocking her, of which you most prob would be in the midst of it up to your oxters.

OK discuss away.

I never even commented her having vovid 19 ever.

Last week or whenever. It doesn't matter to me if she does or not.

But feel free to be outraged at me for absolutely nothing if it makes you feel better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

Why don’t you discuss how much of a mouth piece she is ? Or how she is promising the people of this country something that is impossible to deliver ie. free gaffs . Or how the the Apple money she keeps going on about is not ours to spend . Or how she wants to tax the bollox out of the hard working people of this country and give it to the scrounges . Yeah you won’t discuss it because you haven’t commented on any of that but the second she gets corona your on here on your soap box .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Why don’t you discuss how much of a mouth piece she is ? Or how she is promising the people of this country something that is impossible to deliver ie. free gaffs . Or how the the Apple money she keeps going on about is not ours to spend . Or how she wants to tax the bollox out of the hard working people of this country and give it to the scrounges . Yeah you won’t discuss it because you haven’t commented on any of that but the second she gets corona your on here on your soap box .

Any links to the 'free gaffs'?

Didn't think so.

That's not your point, not your point at all.

As it stands you've merely changed your initial stance from

To

after the barrage of abuse she got after taking some precautions after her kids school had some positive cases, I'm not surprised she didn't jump the gun and tell people she was going to be tested (the article describes her seeking a doctor's advice as she had developed head cold symptoms) - sure it wouldn't have served any other purpose than for the same posters to imply she was an attention seeking diva etc (I seen one poster who has actually posted not that long ago in this very thread describe her as Helen of Troy or something similar when she initially made the statement of being unwell).

Imagine the furore around here had she of disclosed she was going to be tested, and it later came back negative.

You specifically said she just said nothing about being sick and disappeared - when given a source as to how that was wrong you move the goalposts as to why did she not say she had covid 19 symptoms (which are akin to a flu/cold) and inform us all that she was being tested.

No doubt she would have been wrong in your eyes no matter what she did.

I'm not really sure what way you are interpreting my posts but my stance never changed. She said she had symptoms of a head cold and never mentioned getting tested for coronavirus, just that she was self isolating. Why would she not say she was getting tested?

aido79 wrote: »
    I'm not really sure what way you are interpreting my posts but my stance never changed. She said she had symptoms of a head cold and never mentioned getting tested for coronavirus, just that she was self isolating. Why would she not say she was getting tested?

Why are you asking me something I already answered?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It's actually f*cking unbelievable how myself and many other posters here were repeatedly mocked when we pointed out the utter hypocrisy and scumbaggery of others blasting Mary Lou for self-isolating after coming down with cold symptoms after her child's school was one of the first confirmed in the country, and when we furthermore stated that if she had carried on as usual despite feeling unwell, those same posters would have been attacking her for putting party and politics before country in risking the health of those around her by not taking precautions.

This thread is deafeningly silent today, now that we know the poor woman has not only been diagnosed formally with COVID-19, but from the sound of it has been through hell from complications arising thereof. Those same posters who have spent the last several weeks posting along the lines of "Ha ha ha poor wee Mary Lou has a little head cold and is using it as an excuse to run away from crisis management and government formation" are nowhere to be found.

It's not often that arguments about politics over the internet actually provoke genuine anger on my part but today is one of those days. You should all be thoroughly ashamed of yourselves for being such unimaginable douchebags on this subject. The next time you want to accuse the left of playing dirty politics, putting party before country, conflating the political with the personal, etc, look in a God damn mirror and keep it to yourselves. To anyone who wonders why myself and many others on the left accuse neoliberals of utterly heartless politics which literally treats human beings and their real lives as secondary concerns, this is exactly what we're talking about.

Gobsh!tes the lot of ye.

Boris ended up in intensive care, yet he stopped working only for about four days. Not that he's any use, but you have to admire his dedication to work.

Ditto Matt Hancock, who didn't really miss any work-time either. Other leaders have worked through it as well.

Both Boris and Hancock are gob****es, as is Mary-Lou, but at least they have a different work ethic.

I'll entertain you.
    Nothing there about free gaffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

blanch152 wrote: »
    Boris ended up in intensive care, yet he stopped working only for about four days. Not that he's any use, but you have to admire his dedication to work.

Ditto Matt Hancock, who didn't really miss any work-time either. Other leaders have worked through it as well.

Both Boris and Hancock are gob****es, as is Mary-Lou, but at least they have a different work ethic.
    You do understand that this virus affects different people in different ways?
    Some people get it without even knowing.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I'll entertain you.
    Nothing there about free gaffs.

Over the lifetime of a government we would:

Deliver 100,000 public homes on public land; including 60,000 social homes.

And. Like those housing estates built over successive years by FF/Fg in Dublin, Cork, Galway, Limerick etc.
    Hate to p1ss on your parade but none of them are free. But you know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Where does it say these are "free" in your link? I'm not seeing it.

blanch152 wrote: »

Cut the shyte blanch, the only thing you admire about Boris is that he's a Tory toff who are the traditional polar opposites of the shinners and traditional partners of the unionist party's.

Work ethic me bollocks. :D

Suckit wrote: »
    You do understand that this virus affects different people in different ways?
    Some people get it without even knowing.

Yes, some people end up in intensive care for four days and barely stop working (Boris), others have the symptoms of a common cold and disappear for a month (Mary-Lou).

It is a sad day when I am comparing Boris favourably to any other politician, but in this case it actually is true.

Odhinn wrote: »
    Where does it say these are "free" in your link? I'm not seeing it.
    How much do you pay for a social house ? And how much is owed to councils in unpaid rents at the moment?

• Advertisement

Fann Linn wrote: »
    And. Like those housing estates built over successive years by FF/Fg in Dublin, Cork, Galway, Limerick etc.
    Hate to p1ss on your parade but none of them are free. But you know that.

Given that the SF-led DCC barely collected any of the absurdly low rent for five years, free is probably a fair label.

P.S. any update on that SF TD living in a council house when he can well afford his own place and denying a person on the housing list who really needs a place?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement