Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or have SF vanished?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Yurt! wrote: »
    I'll help you out here on the big words:

dis·in·gen·u·ous
    /ˌdisənˈjenyo͞oəs/

adjective
    not candid or sincere, typically by pretending that one knows less about something than one really does.

Are you sure you're using the right word here pal?

You've presented nothing but the word disengenuous (used incorrectly)

You're a nasty piece of work.

Pal, chump.

You really are full of it.

I asked you for evidence of your claim plumbers don't exist yesterday and all you replied with was you tube videos about Venezuela when it wasn't even me who made the long post comparing SF to Venezuela.

All you do is deflect and snipe when asked for evidence of your nonsense claims.

I hope you're been paid well to make a fool of yourself here daily.

Mod: @Jinglejangle69, @Yurt! - Don't post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Yeah had a read of that and if that is what they proposed then they are as bad as SF , i voted for neither so its irreverent to me and hardly awkward.Like what is the point in working hard and trying to better yourself if someone else can sit on their hole and get the same for noting? As for waltzing into this thread , the only one doing that is yourself ,i have been posting on it for weeks .You only just arrived when Mary Lou got corvid because it gave you something to shout about , why did you not argue the point on any other issues that have been discussed on here for the past few weeks? You just arrive on and become Francie mark2 and pick and choose what you want to reply to.

Another poster complaining I have not been posting enough on a thread, post in a thread a lot, and complaining about posting in them too much, you can't win sometimes it seems.

It is however interesting that you say you've been posting in it for weeks - were trumpeting about shinners 60k free gaffs', yet didn't know fg had the same promise made, that's a bit strange to me tbh.

You are now saying I only came on to say something about Mary Lou, and then pulled your 60k free gaff spiel asunder so that's a contradiction in itself.

But anyway, you've been re-educated about free gaffs and who is promising them, if it stops you droning on post after post with the same misconception I consider that a job well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

McMurphy wrote: »
    Another poster complaining I have not been posting enough on a thread, post in a thread a lot, and complaining about posting in them too much, you can't win sometimes it seems.

It is however interesting that you say you've been posting in it for weeks - were trumpeting about shinners 60k free gaffs', yet didn't know fg had the same promise made, that's a bit strange to me tbh.

You are now saying I only came on to say something about Mary Lou, and then pulled your 60k free gaff spiel asunder so that's a contradiction in itself.

But anyway, you've been re-educated about free gaffs and who is promising them, if it stops you droning on post after post with the same misconception I consider that a job well done.

No sorry your wrong , you accused me of just waltzing into a thread with a one liner about free gaffs .I pointed out i had been on the thread weeks and was arguing the point on a number of issues not just the housing policy. If you where on the thread you would have seen that

Looks like you just stumbled on that yourself , why would you or your fellow shinners not have posted it before

No you did just appear on the thread as soon as the Mary Lou story hit the headlines. So i am correct on that.

But anyway, you've been re-educated about free gaffs and who is promising them, if it stops you droning on post after post with the same misconception I consider that a job well done

Maybe i was unaware of FG saying that but that is probably because they didn't spend the whole campaign promising them, like SF .

I didn't vote for FG but i can recognize when they are trying their best during this pandemic and have got an awful lot right during it and i respect that but that is beyond most SF supporters because no matter how well FG do they will continue with the hate and boil online and on social media even though their party offer no viable solutions.

This is the biggest myth SF have been peddling, in my opinion.

Their core vote is somewhere between 12 and 15% - those people are going to vote for them no matter how many "ex"-paramilitaries they employ, or how many representatives they bully out of the party.

Being generous, even if we assume they doubled their vote from 12% to the 24% of first preferences achieved in the recent GE, that's only* 12% of the electorate who swapped their vote to SF, meaning 88% either voted as they normally do or went with someone else.

Can a vote for SF be regarded as a vote for change, when at most only* 1-in-8 switched their allegiance to them? Maybe if you've the mathematical ability of a typical SF supporter you can regard it as such but whatever way you spin it many, many more people declined to vote SF than actually voted SF.

*I use the word "only" here in discussing proportions - in terms of vote swing a 12% gain is, relatively speaking, a rare event.

It's about controlling the narrative, and the gullible will fall for it.

Likewise SF are not a left wing party, but you still have people believing they are because you have planks like Blindboy spouting on about them being "left". They favour the privatisation of State assets, they are against property taxes etc. Both classically right wing positions.

As pointed out, FG want to build nearly as many social houses as SF do.

Tikka I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but I'm not what could be considered a Shinner, you and Christy have both mentioned my lack of input to two specific shinner related threads, bit odd I'd not be in them considering, isn't it?

Yeah I'm republican minded, I aspire for a united Ireland, and whilst I recognised the need for the IRA to have existed in the north especially with the need to protect the nationalist community, who were subjected to some of the most extreme discrimination and killings from the unionist and British govt at the time, I also think a lot of their actions were regrettable.

I have voted FF in the past, I've voted labour, I've voted FG in local elections and I've voted Sinn Fein and the SDs too.

No party owns my vote, when I cast mine, I lend them it, and if they do a sh1t job, they don't get it in the next election and I'll call them out on their failures.

Don't confuse my ridiculing of FG their failures and cronyism with me being a shinner, one thing doesn't necessarily mean the other.

You're wrong about me "only finding out" about the FG proposed "free gaffs" - I've went toe to toe with posters on this very site during the election campaign about this proposal, some lads making the same error as you, calling out the shinners plan, while seemingly unaware the blueshirts were preparing the same thing, you on the other hand actually did only find out this startling revelation today.

The next election is going to be a bit of a brain teaser for you I imagine, fg wanting to build these houses for your aforementioned scroungers and gougers, you'll surely not be supporting them, you might have to look a bit further to the right.

I on the other hand will most likely give the shinners another nod in the next election, followed by the SDS (who I'm watching very closely) if they facilitate FFG in the next govt, they've lost my future vote, and I have personally text C.M to tell her so, and to be fair she gave me a courteous reply.

If or when they fcuk about and start any auld shyte with cronyism or corruption, my vote will go elsewhere the next time.

The problem with Ireland is that there's not enough other floating voters like me, staying loyal and faithful to a particular party no matter what, like some kind of football team is numb skull stupid. This forum is full of such folk.

I call their blind loyalty out for sh1ts and giggles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I think Christy that you night have a very poor grasp of the term double standards, double standards would be me chastising Maria Bailey and leo while defending your other one.

I didn't even know who she was when the thread was opened, I didn't recognise the name.

So in actual fact, you're whinging in that I'm not posting in a thread calling for her head is that it?

Maria Bailey should have been booted from the party when her and Josephas plan got exposed.

The Sinn Fein TD should also get the same treatment, and a more thorough vetting process should be in place for future candidates.

It doesn't matter a shiny shyte to me what party a TD or minister hails from, if they're indulging in unethical practices, blast them into orbit so far as I'm concerned.

Do you see where your double standards argument has a gaping big hole in the side of it Christy?

Do you approve of TDs convicted for gun-running?
    Do you approve of TDs who are anti-vaxxers?
    Do you approve of TDS convicted for bomb-making?

Should they be evicted as well?

What do you think of a party who deselects unsavoury candidates at an election and one who doesn’t?

Do you realise that your man in Tallaght and the bread fella are still officially Sinn Fein councillors?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,771 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Have SF made any comments on Trump's WHO cut to funding?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

IThey favour the privatisation of State assets, they are against property taxes etc. Both classically right wing positions.

Only someone gainsaying in the death sting of losing of an argument would characterize a national affordable housing project as a classically right wing position.

All over the map and patently bamboozled.

EDIT: Apologies, didn't see the mod note asking me not to post in the thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭christy c

walshb wrote: »

Am I missing something here? What is the link?

Only someone gainsaying in the death sting of losing of an argument would characterize a national affordable housing project as a classically right wing position.

EDIT: Apologies, didn't see the mod note asking me not to post in the thread again.

I know you can't reply on this thread, so I'll keep general but privatisation is a right wing position. Giving away state assets at low cost (or in this case for free) is verging on neo-liberalism. No amount of spinning from any SF supporter can change that.

It's like SF's support for austerity in NI, or opposing property taxes here. They are a fake left-wing party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

You could delete it!
    There will be fcuk all houses built by anyone for the state now until this covid chap and paying for it is put to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

I know you can't reply on this thread, so I'll keep general but privatisation is a right wing position. Giving away state assets at low cost (or in this case for free) is verging on neo-liberalism. No amount of spinning from any SF supporter can change that.

It's like SF's support for austerity in NI, or opposing property taxes here. They are a fake left-wing party.

Populist party!

christy c wrote: »
    Am I missing something here? What is the link?

No link

I am just curious as to their views on this....

The thread is about them having vanished......

You could delete it!
    There will be fcuk all houses built by anyone for the state now until this covid chap and paying for it is put to bed.

I don't know, the ECB is making borrowing money very cheap at the minute. If anything we should probably launch into a massive infrastructural phase (more railways, luases, cycleways and yes, social housing). O'Cualann housing isn't social housing though, it's an asset give away.

On the other hand, tourism has collapsed and now would be a good time to ban the cancer that is Airbnb from our cities, so we don't know what housing we actually need to build. If it's true that 4,500 units were taken up by Airbnb then the market should respond by lower rents and lower prices when those units re-enter the rental market.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

No link

I am just curious as to their views on this....

The thread is about them having vanished......

Curious as to their views on Trump making childish threats he can't deliver, simply to deflect attention from the ****show he's making?

Why would they? Have you not noticed the volume of similar comments?

I think Simon Coveney should have kept his mouth shut too instead of biting, now is not the time to throw the little weight he has around,. especially at childish comments by Trump.

Hoboo wrote: »
    Curious as to their views on Trump making childish threats he can't deliver, simply to deflect attention from the ****show he's making?

Why would they? Have you not noticed the volume of similar comments?

I think Simon Coveney should have kept his mouth shut too instead of biting, now is not the time to throw the little weight he has around,. especially at childish comments by Trump.

SF are barking on about how they are the biggest party, the party people want to see in power.....

Trump's WHO funding cut is global news during a global pandemic that affects so so many......

Yes, I'd like to hear SFs views on this, seeing as they are the party who polled so well.

Coveney and others are well within their rights to react and comment on the WHO funding cut....they are politicians, for chrissake, of course they should make their views known.

SF are barking on about how they are the biggest party, the party people want to see in power.....

Trump's WHO funding cut is global news during a global pandemic that affects so so many......

Yes, I'd like to hear SFs views on this, seeing as they are the party who polled so well.

Coveney and others are well within their rights to react and comment on the WHO funding cut....they are politicians, for chrissake, of course they should make their views known.

Who else has commented on it from Irish politics?

Did FF make any statement on it?

Did the other Simon make his views known on it? You know the Simon in health?

Been looking online don't see anything from shinners in general about it, and I for sure ain't going through each and every one of their TDs social media platforms to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

SF are spinning like hell to claim that their "mandate" is being ignored.
    They are claiming that they won the popular vote and make a big issue of Micheal Martin getting elected on the 6th count. SF topped Cork South Central but FF got 7000 more Number 1s so it doesnt matter what stage a person gets elected.
    SF have plenty of form for boycotting other parties so no harm to see them getting a dose of their own medicine

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭maccored

lets be honest - shinners are ****ing delighted with ff and fg going in together. well, I know I am. about time FF/FG realised they were the same party

Been looking online don't see anything from shinners in general about it, and I for sure ain't going through each and every one of their TDs social media platforms to check.

Apart from some whinging, you would struggle to find anything of note being said by Sinn Fein at the moment.

The funniest was Louise O'Reilly complaining about uncosted programmes for government. It was like she hadn't realised that the world has changed with Covid-19.

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    Apart from some whinging, you would struggle to find anything of note being said by Sinn Fein at the moment.

The funniest was Louise O'Reilly complaining about uncosted programmes for government. It was like she hadn't realised that the world has changed with Covid-19.

Well that didn't answer the question I didn't ask you.

Relax. I am just wondering if they made a statement on it....

FG did.....

Global news that affects so many people......just thought Ireland's "biggest" party may have given a view.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Relax. I am just wondering if they made a statement on it....

FG did.....

Global news that affects so many people......just thought Ireland's "biggest" party may have given a view.

As an aside the announcement by crazy Donny is fake news its a sop to his followers the WHO will get their funding when this is all over it similar to his wall with Mexico which never happned, meanwhile, real-world Mexico and the US get on with it.

The gesture is everything to Donney and his advisors.

Its call the front stage and backstage it amazes me how many are fooled by it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

maccored wrote: »
    lets be honest - shinners are ****ing delighted with ff and fg going in together. well, I know I am. about time FF/FG realised they were the same party
    I dont think it will be a cake walk for Sinn Féin especially if theres no austere budgets just stimulus ones
    I can't wait for FF and FG to merge with Sinn Féin and our new Taoiseach Jack Chambers in about 30 years
    Civil war and troubles a distant memory then
    Remember you've heard it here first

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Sultan_of_Ping

Yes, SF were devastated to hear their concert had been cancelled but they are looking forward to it taking place in March 2021 - their thoughts and prayers were with those who bought tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

If anybody who is struggling to pass time during lockdown, I cannot recommend the Facebook Group "Friends that Vote Sinn Fein" enough. It's everything you would expect in such a group. 1)Homophobic comments thrown at the Taoiseach

2) Conspiracy theories about COVID19

3) Calls to stop recognising the state and just build a dictatorship around MaryLou

4) Calls to riot and take to the streets

5) We voted for change brigade is everywhere

I do hope whoever leads the next government invests in education and a expanded Civics program and it seems many many SF supporters don't have the slightest clue how our system of governance works.

Here is the pick of the bunch.....

Amarach, the polling company that does the Claire Byrne Live poll have sent out questions to 1000 people for next week's show. Just please, please read the first 4 loaded questions.

1) Thinking back on all that has happened since do you wish you had voted differently in the February General Election?

2) Fianna Fail and Fine Gael seem to be the only parties making any real effort to form a Govt: should other parties play their part?

3) So much has changed since the Election. Do we really need another election?

4) Everything has changed since the Election.. Do we need parties which can work together to form a cohesive Govt?

And we think America is bad with Fox News!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

What skill did you gain in quarantine.

Stalking FB groups of political parties I don't support.

Some mothers do av em

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

piplip87 wrote: »
    If anybody who is struggling to pass time during lockdown, I cannot recommend the Facebook Group "Friends that Vote Sinn Fein" enough. It's everything you would expect in such a group. 1)Homophobic comments thrown at the Taoiseach

3) Calls to stop recognising the state and just build a dictatorship around MaryLou

I do hope whoever leads the next government invests in education and a expanded Civics program and it seems many many SF supporters don't have the slightest clue how our system of governance works.

You go trawling facebuke to make an argument?
    Scarleh for ya.

piplip87 wrote: »

Seems similar to much of the rhetoric we read on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

While pages like that referenced above are often the lowest common denominator of internet political discussion, filled with numpties who don't have the first clue what they're talking about, I don't think it's entirely unreasonable to point out that 2nd polling question is loaded as hell and wouldn't pass muster on any reasonably scientific public sentiment survey.

I'm not sure what the point of pointing that post out as, 'the pick of the bunch' is when you say the page is full of homophobic nonsense. I usually notice these types of pages are full of anti-EU rhetoric, almost exclusively posted by people who don't understand how the EU works, economic policy suggestions from people who don't understand basic economics.....and the worst you can point out is that someone is picking out some loaded questions from a survey for our state broadcaster?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement