Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or have SF vanished?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Leo and MM declared only 4 days ago that austerity wasn't needed either. No tax increases as per their joint manifesto last weekend. Or are they just telling porkies?

No income tax increases and no cuts to social welfare main rates.

That leaves a lot of scope:

- increases in VAT, CGT and CAT
    - increases in carbon tax and excise duties
    - no indexation of bands
    - no increases in social welfare
    - changing entitlement rules for social welfare
    - increasing PRSI
    - water charges and local authority rates
    - increase in property tax

• Registered Users Posts: 8,831 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Mortelaro wrote: »
    The narrative from the EU is that borrowing billions to pay everyone wages etc so as to keep them at home to save lives is allowed
    So I'd expect no austerity in that or the drag of it for the next year,It'll be added to the national debt pile
    Once the economy gets back on track in about a year,Current budget defecit will be manageable again in jig time at projected 6 or 7% growth rates

People who get their jobs back once restrictions are lifted are not unemployed

Emergency rules will only be in place for so long.
    Continuing borrowing to fund current spending once the emergency phase has passed tends not to be popular in the northern EU countries, and any attempts to access EU-backed funds to cover ongoing defects will likely be on the condition of either cutting certain spending, or widening the tax base

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

markodaly wrote: »

Besides, trying to make political hay or capital about people dying, is kinda sick and twisted. Its low form.

No mark, all I was doing was commenting on the reported number of deaths and how they were the highest in a single day, you said yourself I freely admitted to reading it wrong and confusing them as all dying in the one day.

However, for you, you of all people to try and accuse anyone else on this site to use the deaths of others for political hay, or capital, "sick and twisted" has to be one of the most goddam ironic and downright hypocritical pieces of sh1t I have ever read on this site in the 14 years of using it.

Hundreds of posts about the IRA victims v (/insert random loyalist paramilitaries groups/security forces etc) you just were a few steps away from getting out a few corpses and waving them about.

Political point scoring over people dying, my absolute bollocks, all the more hypocritical coming from yourself or anyone from the FG camp be it members or supporters, the high fcuking moral ground you do not get to take - I can assure you on that one.

Won't be long until hopefully this pandemic is behind us, a new election can be called and yourself and the political party you oh so emphatically cheer lead for can get out the spades and shovels and dig up a few more corpses to once again wave around to score political points, because it worked so well the last time.

blanch152 wrote: »
    No income tax increases and no cuts to social welfare main rates.

That leaves a lot of scope:

- increases in VAT, CGT and CAT
    - increases in carbon tax and excise duties
    - no indexation of bands
    - no increases in social welfare
    - changing entitlement rules for social welfare
    - increasing PRSI
    - water charges and local authority rates
    - increase in property tax

Where are yous going to find 20billion in that??

Prsi is generally regarded as an income tax,as is usc.....telling people yous not increasing income tax and ramping up either of them is a bullshh1t half truth move??

Cant speak for rest of country,but busineeses were already closing up in my local town due to high rates,and given the amount of illegal fags about and home drinking that geos on (even before lockdown),i qs if we are not already at tipping point as regards how much can be got from those sectors

Though id love to see suger,hugge tax on take aways (junk food etc) aswell as alcohol tax move to a unit alcohol rate vs flat rate

Isn't he that controversial GP who advocates herd immunity as a strategy?

I see the troops have been sent out to try and discredit anyone that speaks out against the regime?

Was he the controversial GP that advocated herd immunity? Googled it, seems he wrote something about it alright.

Is he the same GP that quit because of the controversies surrounding the nursing home, of which many govt supporters in this site are agreeing with?

What's the relevance anyway, save for maybe trying to imply he's not credible on the subject?

Bang of Maurice McCabe about this - bit of the auld character assassination Colonel is it?

• Advertisement

McMurphy wrote: »
    I see the troops have been sent out to try and discredit anyone that speaks out against the regime?

Was he the controversial GP that advocated herd immunity? Googled it, seems he wrote something about it alright.

Is he the same GP that quit because of the controversies surrounding the nursing home, of which many govt supporters in this site are agreeing with?

What's the relevance anyway, save for maybe trying to imply he's not credible on the subject?

Bang of Maurice McCabe about this - bit of the auld character assassination Colonel is it?

The fact that we are likely to see minimum of 2000 die here,and likely half in nursing homes is a black mark againest entire country,we didnt protect the most vunerable to this disease

Someone must be held to account for this mess,or we are a joke of a country

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

What troops?
    Who sent me out?
    And from where?

This is the cringiest bout of paranoia I've seen since Matt's "FG bots on boards" thread which he subsequently deleted after much ridicule.

The big bad FG henchmen are not out to get you Mc. You can probably relax. If there were "troops" to send out, do you honestly think you would be their target? Reckon there's a file in a drawer somewhere in FG HQ with a list of your whimsical boards handles? A man can only dream...

Don't expect a serious response to your question about the doctor if you're going to lead with this hysterical nonsense. You should know better.

What troops?
    Who sent me out?
    And from where?

This is the cringiest bout of paranoia I've seen since Matt's "FG bots on boards" thread which he subsequently deleted after much ridicule.

The big bad FG henchmen are not out to get you Mc. You can probably relax. If there were "troops" to send out, do you honestly think you would be their target? Reckon there's a file in a drawer somewhere in FG HQ with a list of your whimsical boards handles? A man can only dream...

Don't expect a serious response to your question about the doctor if you're going to lead with this hysterical nonsense. You should know better.

Relax it's just a figure of speech FFS.

Are you even touching on the possibility that because he wrote something about herd immunity he's to be ignored about the current catastrophe?

If not, why did you even feel the need to mention it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Jesus wept :rolleyes:
    Comparing bringing up a 100% correct biography of a disgruntled gp with Maurice McCabe
    Apples and oranges don't cover this one
    It's like comparing a lough Neagh with an Atom bomb, they're so similar

Jesus wept :rolleyes:
    Comparing bringing up a 100% correct biography of a disgruntled gp with Maurice McCabe
    Apples and oranges don't cover this one
    It's like comparing a lough Neagh with an Atom bomb, they're so similar

Are you even slightly suggesting his opinion on the nursing homes is incorrect? No skirting around the edges of the answer - a simple yes or no will do, and I stand over my comparison.

He has spoke out against the regime - is character assassination now the M.O?

You don't need to look very far on this site to discover McCabe was only a disgruntled loose canon with an axe to grind etc etc when he emerged to speak ill of what was going on at the top.

There was even a legal strategy to try and discredit him FFS.

Atom bomb and Lough Neagh my hole - you sir can get the fcuk up the yard.

• Advertisement

Are you even slightly suggesting his opinion on the nursing homes is incorrect? No skirting around the edges of the answer - a simple yes or no will do, and I stand over my comparison.
    It's just an opinion
    As for the comparison with Maurice McCabe,you'll have to elaborate with facts,not spoof
    The Regime?
    Are you writing a Clancy novel
    You don't need to look very far on this site to discover McCabe was only a disgruntled loose canon when he emerged to speak ill of what was going on at the top.

You dont like opinions contrary to your own
    When you come across those or are contradicted and have no answer,you just try F and blind your way out of it
    That much I have discovered

It's just an opinion
    As for the comparison with Maurice McCabe,you'll have to ela6with facts,not spoof

You dont like opinions contrary to your own
    When you come across those or are contradicted and have no answer,you just try F and blind your way out of it
    That much I have discovered

You did skirt around the edge and not answer.

Now feign shock at the word fcuk.

Lol.

You did skirt around the edge and not answer.

Now feign shock at the word fcuk.

Lol.

I said it was an opinion
    Now you back up the Maurice McCabe accusation instead of spoofing

I said it was an opinion
    Now you back up the Maurice McCabe accusation instead of spoofing

I Asked you if you thought his opinion was wrong, you said it was just an opinion - no sh1t Sherlock pass me the smelling salts..

As for McCabe - he was also only a disgruntled loose canon with an axe to grind with an opinion at the beginning too to some on here.

What more proof would you like?

I get that it's prob a tough and thankless job spending all day defending the more often than not ineptness of this caretaker regime, but your asking for proof of things the world and it's dog already know about.

Marcus de Brun has criticised some aspects of the handling of this pandemic, posters on the internet are for some reason mentioning that he wrote a piece on herd immunity. And what? Are we to discount everything or anything else he says now? You suggest he is just a disgruntled gp with an opinion.

A short time ago Varadkar made claims about a mortuary in Waterford which he was later forced to issue a grovelling apology on, admitting he got it wrong. I don't think that's got anything to do with his thoughts on the health pandemic we now face, if I did everytime he releases s statement or reads someone else's carefully penned script - are we to say "isn't he the ex medic who made untrue claims about the mortuary in Waterford" course not.

Maurice McCabe spoke out about some aspects of the higher echelons of the Gardai and misconduct and corruption among lower ranks. People on the internet tried to discredit him as some crackpot loose canon with an axe to grind, and there was a legal strategy to discredit him.

McCabe only had opinions and accusations at the beginning too.

I repeat, Lough Neagh and atom bombs my hole.

Where are yous going to find 20billion in that??

Prsi is generally regarded as an income tax,as is usc.....telling people yous not increasing income tax and ramping up either of them is a bullshh1t half truth move??

Cant speak for rest of country,but busineeses were already closing up in my local town due to high rates,and given the amount of illegal fags about and home drinking that geos on (even before lockdown),i qs if we are not already at tipping point as regards how much can be got from those sectors

Though id love to see suger,hugge tax on take aways (junk food etc) aswell as alcohol tax move to a unit alcohol rate vs flat rate

I am just pointing out what they said, incidentally they did say no increase in USC as well as income tax, but they didn’t say no increase in PRSI.

I wasn’t talking about business rates, we say see domestic rates again, there are plenty of ways to raise money if you are inventive.

I am just pointing out what they said, incidentally they did say no increase in USC as well as income tax, but they didn’t say no increase in PRSI.

I wasn’t talking about business rates, we say see domestic rates again, there are plenty of ways to raise money if you are inventive.

I dont think theres 20 billion to take out of econmy tbh

Like lads were ready to lose their sh1t at 4 billion shinnerz proposed to fund their manifesto (out of what was thrivibg ecommy)....now we're all down for taking 20 billion out....wild

You don't need to look very far on this site to discover McCabe was only a disgruntled loose canon with an axe to grind etc etc when he emerged to speak ill of what was going on at the top.

There was even a legal strategy to try and discredit him FFS.

So you agree with Dr. de Brun that the lockdown should be lifted so that resources can be prioritised to protect nursing homes, while the rest of us pursue a herd immunity strategy?

Yes or no?

This is not a Maurice McCabe issue, this is a difference of medical opinion, if you choose one opinion, choose it.

I dont think theres 20 billion to take out of econmy tbh

Like lads were ready to lose their sh1t at 4 billion shinnerz proposed to fund their manifesto....now we're all down for taking 20 billion out....wild

Who said we were taking 20 billion out of the economy, that was your number, not mine.

Who said we were taking 20 billion out of the economy, that was your number, not mine.

The deficit is projected at 20 billion (well 23)

Unless your planning to borrow to fund current spending....which would be hilariously hypocritical of you to critise shinnerz for proposing it previously??

The deficit is projected at 20 billion (well 23)

Unless your planning to borrow to fund current spending....which would be hilariously hypocritical of you to critise shinnerz for proposing it previously??

Economic growth will close a lot of the gap.

• Advertisement

I Asked you if you thought his opinion was wrong, you said it was just an opinion - no sh1t Sherlock pass me the smelling salts..

As for McCabe - he was also only a disgruntled loose canon with an axe to grind with an opinion at the beginning too to some on here.

What more proof would you like?

I get that it's prob a tough and thankless job spending all day defending the more often than not ineptness of this caretaker regime, but your asking for proof of things the world and it's dog already know about.

Marcus de Brun has criticised some aspects of the handling of this pandemic, posters on the internet are for some reason mentioning that he wrote a piece on herd immunity. And what? Are we to discount everything or anything else he says now? You suggest he is just a disgruntled gp with an opinion.

A short time ago Varadkar made claims about a mortuary in Waterford which he was later forced to issue a grovelling apology on, admitting he got it wrong. I don't think that's got anything to do with his thoughts on the health pandemic we now face, if I did everytime he releases s statement or reads someone else's carefully penned script - are we to say "isn't he the ex medic who made untrue claims about the mortuary in Waterford" course not.

Maurice McCabe spoke out about some aspects of the higher echelons of the Gardai and misconduct and corruption among lower ranks. People on the internet tried to discredit him as some crackpot loose canon with an axe to grind, and there was a legal strategy to discredit him.

McCabe only had opinions and accusations at the beginning too.

I repeat, Lough Neagh and atom bombs my hole.

you are spoofing on a Mccabe comparison for manufactured drama

As regards the Gp's opinions, they are his
    You know I don't agree,
    You are spoofing too that me not agreeing wasn't already clear and in some poor attempt to camouflage the fact I asked you to back up your impossible to back up claim

My opinion is ,the emergency has been Sudden,we are not doing too bad relatively given that
    No drama,sorry about that

Not before september....im going off figures supplied by dept of finance,which have accounted for pent up demand (defict for 2021 put at 13 billion btw)

What are you basing,yours on??

Not before september....im going off figures supplied by dept of finance,which have accounted for pent up demand (defict for 2021 put at 13 billion)

Oh sorry, I didn’t realise that you were equating a once in a century emergency with the implementation of the Sinn Fein manifesto, but now that I think about it, I realise that they are the same thing.

Oh sorry, I didn’t realise that you were equating a once in a century emergency with the implementation of the Sinn Fein manifesto, but now that I think about it, I realise that they are the same thing.

Hmmm.....except im not,(try to.concentrate kid)?

Il ask again......are you dispite years of lambasting SF for similar proposal,now saying we should borrow to fund current spending??

Because your plan to stick few quid on excise duty hasnt a hope in jaysus of raising 20 billion

Not before september....im going off figures supplied by dept of finance,which have accounted for pent up demand (defict for 2021 put at 13 billion btw)

The bulk of this years CBD increase not being added to next year because growth is predicted to be 7% ish and most of those on covid 19 payments will be back in work-ending that drain
    Meanwhile Ireland's super reputation in the markets means we can borrow for capital projects ie for stimulus

you are spoofing on a Mccabe comparison for manufactured drama

I'll bite. Spoofing what about exactly?

Just a heads up, I may not get to answer you until morning, 12hr day at work today and prob the same tomorrow, early start certainly - home time dictated by what comes up during the day.

Either way I'm not losing sleep over this, but lay out any inaccuracies you feel I have made about McCabe, I'll be back to address them in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Are you aware what is going on at the moment?

The bulk of this years CBD increase not being added to next year because growth is predicted to be 7% ish and most of those on covid 19 payments will be back in work-ending that drain
    Meanwhile Ireland's super reputation in the markets means we can borrow for capital projects ie for stimulus

I am going solely off dept finance figires,which outline the 23 billion this year and 13 billion deficits next year

I have no issue,with borrowing to build/fund things of value....but i think its gross hyprocrisy to critise 1 crowd for doing it,and everyone fall blindly inline cheerlead when another deos it??

A wee bit of consistancy is least anyone can expect

• Registered Users Posts: 14,656 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Can you still not muster up an answer to the question, no?

I can, and its an easy answer.

SF can either, support the current care-taker government in its efforts to try and beat this pandemic or if they think they cannot do that, try and form an alternative working government.

It.is.that.simple

What people don't appreciate is the opposition by tweet style of politics that some SF TD's are engaging in.
    Some are peddling falsehoods and fake news on twitter
    Some are peddling fear on twitter
    Some are giving out about a possible FF/FG arrangement (while doing nothing to form an alternative may I add)

And that is not even mentioning their vocal MAGA type Trumpian supporters online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,656 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

No mark, all I was doing was commenting on the reported number of deaths and how they were the highest in a single day,.

No, you were trying to use the death of 77 people as a wedge to drive home some political points.

Pretty much all your posts are like this lately, and I believe if it meant more damage to FG you would secretly like the death rate to be even higher.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement