Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or have SF vanished?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Oh for f*ck's sake. If she showed up for work anyway and was visibly displaying symptoms during it, coughing, sniffling etc, the anti-SF crowd would be out of the traps like rockets to condemn her for being irresponsible and putting publicity before safety.

How long will she self isolate this time? Now that was embarrassing

• Registered Users Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

FG are busy running the country. Try to keep up

FG lost the election so they said themselves but despite much hand wringing they're going to stay in government after all and take up ministerial positions etc. Get on with it and quit dragging the arse out of it. Ye've made a mess of that legislation for emergency pay for workers btw, but still there's more important things for doing like attacking SF:rolleyes:

TheCitizen wrote: »
    FG lost the election so they said themselves but despite much hand wringing they're going to stay in government after all and take up ministerial positions etc. Get on with it and quit dragging the arse out of it. Ye've made a mess of that legislation for emergency pay for workers btw, but still there's more important things for doing like attacking SF:rolleyes:

Everyone else is running a mile from the responsibility so they have to step up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Runaways wrote: »
    New account registered 22/03/2020

48 posts

Sure they are.

Emmmmm

You registered in late Feb 2020 and have more than 500 posts. Pot, meet kettle.

I think that FG are doing a decent job in very difficult times.

• Advertisement

Everyone else is running a mile from the responsibility so they have to step up.

Is that you Patrick O'Donavon:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

If SF reps were in front of mics every day, the same people would be on lambasting them for making it about themselves during a national crisis..

They are. No one else will do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,879 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I agree, and I see very few not giving them credit. But they have had lapses and made mistakes.

At the end of the day, I think it would not have mattered who was faced with this crisis, they would have stepped up.
    FG didn't 'magic' up the experts at the front line, they were there already.

It is their expertise that is getting the health system up to speed to deal with this. It remains to be seen if it is 'up to it' or has it been too damaged by the policies of successive governments.

TBF these are extraordinary times and this is not the time for bickering and bitching, but tell that to FG fanboys on here starting threads to bitch about SF.

Anything I've seen from actual SF reps on TV on this has been largely supportive of the emergency measures that the government have enacted, the only criticism has been in their view the government haven't gone far enough in some areas like construction.

FG fanboys on here and tools like Partick O'Donavon on Virgin Media via Skype last night (is he self isolating as well one wonders) can't help themselves it appears.

• Advertisement

I do think they are doing a great job. I thin they've shown clarity in leadership and communication.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

lawred2 wrote: »
    If SF reps were in front of mics every day, the same people would be on lambasting them for making it about themselves during a national crisis..

if that feels like a lose/lose situation, just wait til SF get into government

I agree, and I see very few not giving them credit. But they have had lapses and made mistakes.

At the end of the day, I think it would not have mattered who was faced with this crisis, they would have stepped up.
    FG didn't 'magic' up the experts at the front line, they were there already.

It is their expertise that is getting the health system up to speed to deal with this. It remains to be seen if it is 'up to it' or has it been too damaged by the policies of successive governments.

Your only real job in government at times like this is one of coordination and communication and to know when to defer to those who have the expertise.

Which Simon and Leo have largely done on all counts.

Compare that to the likes of Trump and BJ who think this is about themselves.. DT definitely thinks that the solution lies somewhere within him..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I also think FG are handling this well, for the record. But I also sincerely hope there's a reckoning after all this is over, with why measures such as a rent freeze are considered acceptable to deal with one crisis (COVID-19) and not another crisis (a whole generation being f*cked over by high rents and seeing their lives slipping away). People shouldn't forget how quickly measures which were "impossible" a few weeks ago were introduced when a crisis appeared that had the potential to disrupt the lives of everyone, as opposed to one from which the establishment class are shielded.

if that feels like a lose/lose situation, just wait til SF get into government

:pac: SF aren't losing anything just because a few FG fanboys on Boards.ie are starting threads to bitch about them. The bitching about SF from FFG and their MSM media dogs like Pat Kenny and Miriam O'Callaghan if anything translated in to a growing of support for SF, it seems they never learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,879 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

lawred2 wrote: »
    Your only real job in government at times like this is one of coordination and communication and to know when to defer to those who have the expertise.

Which Simon and Leo have largely done on all counts.

Compare that to the likes of Trump and BJ who think this is about themselves.. DT definitely thinks that the solution lies somewhere within him..

If we are going to attach a seriousness and duty to 'government', then there has to be a seriousness and duty to opposition.

You have to be brave enough to speak up if you see a failure or a lapse...even at the expense of your own popularity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭storker

They are. No one else will do it.

No-one else is in a position to do it. Maybe you should devote the time you spend repeating posting the same claim about this to actually learning how the constitution works.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Ballso

If we are going to attach a seriousness and duty to 'government', then there has to be a seriousness and duty to opposition.

You have to be brave enough to speak up if you see a failure or a lapse...even at the expense of your own popularity.

We have political parties who are serious in opposition. SF do not fit that description - overly simplistic garbage like talking about 'de apple money' in the middle of a crisis is irresponsible in the extreme. Running a government is extremely complex, there aren't simple solutions for everything and everything is a balancing act. Running a caretaker government in the middle of a global pandemic is extremely difficult.

SF aren't the only ones whe do the populist schtick nonsense but people are utterly sick of it. People will remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Field east

Ballso wrote: »
    We have political parties who are serious in opposition. SF do not fit that description - overly simplistic garbage like talking about 'de apple money' in the middle of a crisis is irresponsible in the extreme. Running a government is extremely complex, there aren't simple solutions for everything and everything is a balancing act. Running a caretaker government in the middle of a global pandemic is extremely difficult.

SF aren't the only ones whe do the populist schtick nonsense but people are utterly sick of it. People will remember.

Mary Lou got an opportunity to clarify how the Gov could use the circa 11bninthe escrow account re Apple and 100% yet again failed to do so. She threw out a few comments such as ‘we have to do extradionary things in extradinory Times’ and ‘ the Irish gov should not have challenged the decision by the EU’ suggesting that if it did not then it would have all that money to spend.

You mean people like eFFing Blueshirt fanboys like you :pac:. sure you'd never vote SF anyway.

SF are not being irresponsible in this crisis at all, the opposite in fact. People will remember how bitter eFFing Blueshirts like you were and still are after the last election result and they will desert you even further if you can't grow up and respond to the changing demands of the Irish electorate. FFG Jobs for the boys and crony capitalism ain't going to cut it anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭piplip87

Field east wrote: »
    Mary Lou got an opportunity to clarify how the Gov could use the circa 11bninthe escrow account re Apple and 100% yet again failed to do so. She threw out a few comments such as ‘we have to do extradionary things in extradinory Times’ and ‘ the Irish gov should not have challenged the decision by the EU’ suggesting that if it did not then it would have all that money to spend.

Yet SF have spent the majority of the time since we joined the EU blabbing on about Irish Sovereignty. Surely those who feel so strongly about Irish Sovereignty would the first to be up in arms about the "undemocratic EU" having more control over Irish Tax laws..... Well i suppose it doesn't sound so good

You mean people like eFFing Blueshirt fanboys like you :pac:. sure you'd never vote SF anyway.

SF are not being irresponsible in this crisis at all, the opposite in fact. People will remember how bitter eFFing Blueshirts like you were and still are after the last election result and they will desert you even further if you can't grow up and respond to the changing demands of the Irish electorate. FFG Jobs for the boys and crony capitalism ain't going to cut it anymore.

You're right there, I would never vote SF now, despite giving them some preferences in the past. Populist vermin trading on fear and ignorance, I hope they get eviscerated in the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Staying home to look after her family during a frightening time for them? Embarrassing indeed I suppose, from the point of view of the FG types who don't understand concepts such as compassion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I'd say if FG could orchestrate another election after the "emergency" has finished, I think they would do quite well. Honestly I think they are doing a very good job considering the circumstances.

Staying home to look after her family during a frightening time for them? Embarrassing indeed I suppose, from the point of view of the FG types who don't understand concepts such as compassion.

She’s not looking after her family. She’s got cold like symptoms and she’s self isolating as a precaution. She’s handed over the reins to her deputy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Like Eoghan Murphy?

Of course McDonald should self isolate if she is unwell, christ

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Of course McDonald should self isolate if she is unwell, christ

Some would have her going around like patient 31 in South Korea infecting hundreds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

there are pictures of Maria Bailey on a swing doing the rounds. ‘for the lolz’

Jaysis

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Runaways wrote: »
    there are pictures of Maria Bailey on a swing doing the rounds. ‘for the lolz’

Jaysis

Some dodgy tweets from Réada Cronin also resurfacing and ‘doing the rounds’.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement