Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or have SF vanished?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Bowie wrote: »
    I don't know. I'd say the 'all in this together' feelgood factor is slipping away, hurried by the photo ops, gaffes and choice of private bed vendors.
    SF are headed for the opposition unless there's another election so I think that's their only chance. However the Greens will be signing up to FF/FG any minute now. They already said the list was more wish than red line. Any Green type person's best hope is FF/FG stealing their ideas, but that will only happen is the right people can make money off them.

In an ideal scenario we have a green/FF/FG government. And between the economic effects of corona and the green plans we end up with a load of new taxes and general misery. That would brew up some serious hatred of the three parties leaving SF with an opportunity next time around. They would then go into government and give away mode therefore ruining the economy all over again

• Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Bowie wrote: »
    I don't know. I'd say the 'all in this together' feelgood factor is slipping away, hurried by the photo ops, gaffes and choice of private bed vendors.
    SF are headed for the opposition unless there's another election so I think that's their only chance. However the Greens will be signing up to FF/FG any minute now. They already said the list was more wish than red line. Any Green type person's best hope is FF/FG stealing their ideas, but that will only happen is the right people can make money off them.

Sinn Fein were always headed for the opposition. They were taken aback by Varadkar's "away with ye" response to them announcing they were going to lead a government. They were left poking around for a few weeks going nowhere until the public could see that they were never serious about it.

No documents exchanged with other parties, no meaningful negotiations, no policy papers, a leader in hiding, and at the end of it all, they get to sit back down on the fence and hurl from the ditch, the only thing they know.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Edgware wrote: »
    I just can't see the "senior hurlers" letting power slip away by having an election that wouldnt solve anything anyway. There are still enough deputies there that wont welcome an election.
    If Fianna Fail have to sacrifice Martin to open negotiations with Sinn Fein they will do so.
    FF SF SDs and Lab.
    or like minded Independents could still do it.
    All that ****e talk about Army Council control etc would be put away.
    I dont believe S.F. would welcome an election above getting a chance of power

Admittedly that's a scenario I overlooked, though I already have made comment on Michaél not going to have a happy ending out of any of this. Personally, I think he's doomed regardless.
    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Another silly comment. All the parties, including SF had reprensetatives in the Dail and not a whisper out of any of them.....

What's a silly comment?

This'll be good. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

McMurphy wrote: »
    Admittedly that's a scenario I overlooked, though I already have made comment on Michaél not going to have a happy ending out of any of this. Personally, I think he's doomed regardless.

What's a silly comment?

This'll be good. :D

My bet on the election was SF/FF coalition. I am pleasantly surprised that it didn't come to pass. The consolation of a nice payout is there if things change but it would take the ousting of Martin to make it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

threeball wrote: »
    I don't think theres enough FF'ers on side to contemplate going in to government with SF. It would be a better scenario for FG, that is for certain.

There's a good few FFs not too pushed about FG too and a looming election could swing more.
    As someone said "nothing concentrates the mind like the prospect of being hung at dawn"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

blanch152 wrote: »
    My bet on the election was SF/FF coalition. I am pleasantly surprised that it didn't come to pass. The consolation of a nice payout is there if things change but it would take the ousting of Martin to make it happen.

I've still an unsettled bet with Paddy power on a FF minority govt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

blanch152 wrote: »

I sat with a number of FF people as the results came in, they expected FF/SF to join

Mary Lou made sure that would never happen...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I sat with a number of FF people as the results came in, they expected FF/SF to join

Mary Lou made sure that would never happen...

MM said it would never happen. Nothing to do with MLM.

Fann Linn wrote: »

Micheal martin pedeled conspiracy theories about SF....then disappeared for 3 weeks when people asked for proof :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Blueshoe wrote: »
    In an ideal scenario we have a green/FF/FG government. And between the economic effects of corona and the green plans we end up with a load of new taxes and general misery. That would brew up some serious hatred of the three parties leaving SF with an opportunity next time around. They would then go into government and give away mode therefore ruining the economy all over again

It will be the death of a thousand cuts for the working tax payer no doubt. However getting rid of FF/FG will be a very long drawn out process.
    Hopefully the SD's, PBP etc. make moves not just SF. The Greens and Labour are damaged goods IMO.

• Advertisement

MM said he would not rule it out, that was around 11th based on news reports

Mary Lou had a call with FF around 14th, thats the one she went out shouting and roaring to RTE after it.....she knew exactly what she was doing

After that FF and everyone said not a hope, of course the SF propaganda boyos will come in now with all sorts of tin foil hat points of view.....everyone knows its BS

Mary Lou had a call with FF around 14th, thats the one she went out shouting and roaring to RTE after it.....she knew exactly what she was doing

After that FF and everyone said not a hope, of course the SF propaganda boyos will come in now with all sorts of tin foil hat points of view.....everyone knows its BS

If your going to lie....at least make it realistsic

3rd feb,well before election martin ruled out coalition with SF......god love you,your really not good at this propaganda thing, :pac:
    Updated Feb 3rd 2020, 1:52 PM

FIANNA FÁIL LEADER Micheál Martin has again ruled out a coalition with Sinn Féin after the general election, adding that the election is about issues and not opinion polls.

Martin was speaking on RTÉ’s Morning Ireland in Kerry and said his party is “united” behind the position of ruling out Sinn Féin as a coalition partner.

“The Fianna Fáil party will not be going to government with Sinn Féin, it’s not just about the past, I’ve laid of my stall on that but it’s also about the future as well,” Martin said

• Registered Users Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I distinctly remember him saying in the debates that he'd have nowt to do with the Shinners. Tbh can't really be arsed now, him, Leo and ER should just get on with it now and let's see how it all pans out.

If your going to lie....at least make it realistsic

3rd feb,well before election martin ruled out coalition with SF......god love you,your really not good at this propaganda thing, :pac:

That was prior to the election. He also said prior to the election he wouldnt go in with FG

No party will say prior to election they plan to go into coalition with another, thats just telling the voter you dont expect to win and doesn't show confidence in your party or their agenda

Standard politics!! not really that hard to work out to be honest.....have a look around.....or bury your head

I distinctly remember him saying in the debates that he'd have nowt to do with the Shinners. Tbh can't really be arsed now, him, Leo and ER should just get on with it now and let's see how it all pans out.

Point me one party prior to election they wanted to partner with another....I wont hold my breath but fire away

That was prior to the election. He also said prior to the election he wouldnt go in with FG

No party will say prior to election they plan to go into coalition with another, thats just telling the voter you dont expect to win and doesn't show confidence in your party or their agenda

Standard politics!! not really that hard to work out to be honest.....have a look around.....or bury your head

If iirc fg and labour once released what was effectively a joint manifesto (2011 or 2015,not sure)

Mate your claiming black is white saying he would go in with SF,when ive shown yous he said exact opposite??

Like if your going to lie,at least dont make it so easy to disprove :pac:

Jesus that was embarassingly bad

If iirc fg and labour once released what was effectively a joint manifesto (2011 or 2015,not sure)

Mate your claiming black is white saying he would go in with SF,when ive shown yous he said exact opposite??

Like if your going to lie,at least dont make it so easy to disprove :pac:

Jesus that was embarassingly bad

Not your mate, and yes you are embrassing yourself yet again, I would ask for a source but of course we know you can make any BS up and then hide behind "the charter doesnt say I have to" :p:p:p

As I said look around, google is your friend. Plenty of discussion, just remember to check after the election......

Not your mate, and yes you are embrassing yourself yet again, I would ask for a source but of course we know you can make any BS up and then hide behind "the charter doesnt say I have to" :p:p:p

As I said look around, google is your friend. Plenty of discussion, just remember to check after the election......

Mate i literally provided quote,copy and paste it into.google(if your able) to aquire source

Like your free to claim.martin is willing to work with shinnerz,but anyone with access to google can fairly quickly,abruptly dismantle your poorly taught out lie

If yous think,providing info that your unaware of is embarassing.myself....you must be a masochist,is all i can conclude from this interaction (nothing wrong btw with this,takes all sorts the world)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Spot on - he's a lying ****e.

That makes him more credible how?

maccored wrote: »
    Spot on - he's a lying ****e.

That makes him more credible how?

Yeah, but he is our lying XXXXX:P:P:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Not at all,but i obey rules (be also well below my nitrate limits too)

Land saturated this year and i could hear lads out in middle of night spreading slurry weeks before opening date

If you spread slurry,the night before 35mm of rain forecast onto already saturated land,you dont have to be member of mensa to know where its going to end up??

Stricter enforcement of the nitrates and slurry spreading rule isn't going to solve this though.

Calender farming doesn't work. And it especially doesn't work with regards to the slurry spreading rule. Just because the open date at the end of January lands doesn't make any difference as to whether it'll rain or not.

All the ban has a achieved is making sure everyone is horsing slurry out by the new time basically all at once. Or as you pointed out there are the few that'll go a week or two early mainly because it's bubbling up through the slats or because they simply don't care.

However over a mild winter such as our last one there are often weeks where slurry could be spread safely and responsibly but dates on a calender trumps common sense.

Great to see Marylou got her roots done.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Why are you twisting what i said to have an attack on FG, I am saying the younger voters that voted for SF have no idea what went on and still goes on in that party.

And they don't care. They urgently need the cost of living to come down before their entire lives are wasted trying to stay afloat and not being able to build a life for themselves, and they need that to be addressed now, not in a decade or two, or whatever the timeline for "the market will fix everything on its own" BS is these days.

It still amazes me how people don't seem to get this. The cost of living is destroying peoples' lives and young people who are primarily in the rental sector for housing have been hit orders of magnitude harder than everyone else (who are being hit hard enough as it is!) - Fine Gael don't give a bollocks about those people, so why should those people vote for Fine Gael?

Honestly, I just don't get it. In what political theory or model does "Directly pursue policies which severely harm a particular demographic" logically lead into "expect that demographic to vote for you when you've done absolutely nothing for them and indeed have actively done things which have hurt them immeasurably"?

EDIT: Here's a quote from journalist Glenn Greenwald (the man who broke the Snowden story a few years back) on Brexit and Trump, entirely relevant to the rise of SF here. Everything he's saying is exactly why young Irish voters have abandoned FFG.

One of the things that is bothering me and bothered me about the Brexit debate, and is bothering me a huge about the Trump debate, is that there is zero elite reckoning with their own responsibility in creating the situation that led to both Brexit and Trump and then the broader collapse of elite authority. The reason why Brexit resonated and Trump resonated isn’t that people are too stupid to understand the arguments. The reason they resonated is that people have been so f*cked by the prevailing order in such deep and fundamental and enduring ways that they can't imagine that anything is worse than preservation of the status quo. You have this huge portion of the populace in both the U.K. and the U.S. that is so angry and so helpless that they view exploding things without any idea of what the resulting debris is going to be to be preferable to having things continue, and the people they view as having done this to them to continue in power. That is a really serious and dangerous and not completely invalid perception that a lot of people who spend their days scorning Trump and his supporters or Brexit played a great deal in creating.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Great to see Marylou got her roots done.

Piss on their graves?

You just bet me to that :D

FG/FF Spin - 1 shots

Vote for change - 2 shots

Can't see the TV anymore.....too much alcohol

Make her stop!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

The laughable part is people still blaming a political party for their own stupidity. Its always someone elses fault

Biggest problem in today's Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

And they don't care. They urgently need the cost of living to come down before their entire lives are wasted trying to stay afloat and not being able to build a life for themselves, and they need that to be addressed now, not in a decade or two, or whatever the timeline for "the market will fix everything on its own" BS is these days.

It still amazes me how people don't seem to get this. The cost of living is destroying peoples' lives and young people who are primarily in the rental sector for housing have been hit orders of magnitude harder than everyone else (who are being hit hard enough as it is!) - Fine Gael don't give a bollocks about those people, so why should those people vote for Fine Gael?

Honestly, I just don't get it. In what political theory or model does "Directly pursue policies which severely harm a particular demographic" logically lead into "expect that demographic to vote for you when you've done absolutely nothing for them and indeed have actively done things which have hurt them immeasurably"?

EDIT: Here's a quote from journalist Glenn Greenwald (the man who broke the Snowden story a few years back) on Brexit and Trump, entirely relevant to the rise of SF here. Everything he's saying is exactly why young Irish voters have abandoned FFG.

One of the things that is bothering me and bothered me about the Brexit debate, and is bothering me a huge about the Trump debate, is that there is zero elite reckoning with their own responsibility in creating the situation that led to both Brexit and Trump and then the broader collapse of elite authority. The reason why Brexit resonated and Trump resonated isn’t that people are too stupid to understand the arguments. The reason they resonated is that people have been so f*cked by the prevailing order in such deep and fundamental and enduring ways that they can't imagine that anything is worse than preservation of the status quo. You have this huge portion of the populace in both the U.K. and the U.S. that is so angry and so helpless that they view exploding things without any idea of what the resulting debris is going to be to be preferable to having things continue, and the people they view as having done this to them to continue in power. That is a really serious and dangerous and not completely invalid perception that a lot of people who spend their days scorning Trump and his supporters or Brexit played a great deal in creating.

Yeah because SF are doing such a stand up job at solving all the problems on the other side of the border.

You're deluded if you think they have some kind of magic formula to solve all the issues facing this country, they were foaming at the mouth to get their hands on power last Feb but are probably delighted now that we are in recession and they won't have to make any hard decisions over the next few years.

We've seen more of that spoofer O Reilly over the last few days bitching and giving out from the sidelines than we did in the last month and a half when this virus took hold because that is all she is good for, she had no solution to offer at the start of all this.

Yeah because SF are doing such a stand up job at solving all the problems on the other side of the border.

You're deluded if you think they have some kind of magic formula to solve all the issues facing this country, they were foaming at the mouth to get their hands on power last Feb but are probably delighted now that we are in recession and they won't have to make any hard decisions over the next few years.

We've seen more of that spoofer O Reilly over the last few days bitching and giving out from the sidelines than we did in the last month and a half when this virus took hold because that is all she is good for, she had no solution to offer at the start of all this.

We have 5 years now is listening to this s**t so we may get used to it

I think Sf need to promise to donate 5 euro To charity every time they say “Change”.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

As soon as Covid19 hit all election promises went out the window, all pre election promises about not negotiating with this or that group went out the window. All the parties know that and now we have an opportunity to start afresh.

Certain levels in FF want nothing to do with SF and vice versa. Then the same could be said about the relationship between a lot of the other groupings. I feel that when push comes to shove FF would be acceptable to most of the others than FG.

If FF FG and the Greens cant agree a programme then Martin will have no choice to talk S.F.
    "in the national interest, difficult times, uncharted waters bull **** bull ****, avoid an
    election etc"

Likewise McDonald will state the same " country wants change, FG Thatchetite austerity etc"
    Throw in Soc Dems and/or the Rural Alliance. No hassle about introducing Green Party policies etc. This game could run for a while yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

Wow, over 4000 posts since 20th March, from the same usual suspects on both sides ,going over the same issues, many of which were put to bed already , safe to say Shinners haven’t gone away ya know . We now know why Mary Lou went missing and it be a cheap stunt to pick on that, even if she’s a Shinner and it probably wouldn’t be above her and her mob to say something stupid about it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement