Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or have SF vanished?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,958 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

How has it being debunked? SF are always very careful in thier language to the point of comedy. Playing with words. You argue it is because they do not want to appear partitionist - fair enough

But considering during the GE that Mary Lou did not want SF's record in the ROI scrutinized. She clearly stated she is from Dublin not the North. I would argue she became defacto partitonist when it suited her to deflect from SF's performance in NI. Also the very fact that SF have two different leaders both North and South is a tactic acceptance of partition.

As for yourself a 'new' dyed in the wool SF supported how would you normally refer to the state you live in?
    Because SF are going to give themselves fierce headaches

I refer to the 'Dublin government'...'the island of Ireland', 'NI', 'northern Ireland', A whole multitude of terms depending on the point I am making or to what i am referring.

It was debunked because 'evidence' (you know that stuff you have an aversion to?) was presented of SF using the term at times.

I have no issue whatsoever with them making it known, when appropriate, that the whole island is Ireland.

And thereason why you cannot compare SF in the north and Sf in the south is because they are completely different scenarios and political entities.
    It is beyond stupid at this stage that people still do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Well from personal experience on 'the ground' with working class SF voters from Dublin - I believe the article rings true.
    Also it makes logical sense. Working class area, disenfranchised looking to be anti-establishment.
    When you see the comments from the likes of AOS calling Alan Shatter 'Goebbels'. You do not have to dig too deep to find the true face of SF.

Well now, in light of your completely impartial judgemental anecdote, I'm certainly convinced now.

Well from personal experience on 'the ground' with working class SF voters from Dublin - I believe the article rings true.
    Also it makes logical sense. Working class area, disenfranchised looking to be anti-establishment.
    When you see the comments from the likes of AOS calling Alan Shatter 'Goebbels'. You do not have to dig too deep to find the true face of SF.

If somebody called a FGer 'Hitler', would that make them anti-Catholic given he was raised as a Catholic OR would it more likely be the case that they are making a comparison to what Hitler did?

Goebbels was a world infamous Minister for Propaganda...any chance that a man who has never been otherwise found to be anti-semitic may have been using that comparison??? Think hard now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,785 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I refer to the 'Dublin government'...'the island of Ireland', 'NI', 'northern Ireland', A whole multitude of terms depending on the point I am making or to what i am referring.

It was debunked because 'evidence' (you know that stuff you have an aversion to?) was presented of SF using the term at times.

I have no issue whatsoever with them making it known, when appropriate, that the whole island is Ireland.

And thereason why you cannot compare SF in the north and Sf in the south is because they are completely different scenarios and political entities.
    It is beyond stupid at this stage that people still do it.

"completely different scenarios and political entities" - ergo tactic acceptance of partition no mater how you cut it.

So when the covid19 is over and Francie goes on his holidays.
    Chatting to a foreigner in some idyllic location

Foreigner: Francie where do you live?

Francie: the 'Island of Ireland'

Foreigner: Oh I love Golf Rory Mcllroy is great. Which part Francie?

Francie: The part run by the Dublin government.

Foreigner: What is the country called?

Francie: Ireland/The 26 Counties/The Free State

Foreigner: Is that all the same place? Is that what it says on your passport?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

If somebody called a FGer 'Hitler', would that make them anti-Catholic given he was raised as a Catholic OR would it more likely be the case that they are making a comparison to what Hitler did?

Goebbels was a world infamous Minister for Propaganda...any chance that a man who has never been otherwise found to be anti-semitic may have been using that comparison??? Think hard now.

You are been deliberately obtuse there Francie. You think hard why AOS said it to Shatter. I will give you a hint his religion begins with J.

The only one in the DE

Also you just have to look at the comments Reada Cronin said and it becomes crystal clear the mindset of SF. The Paddy Hollahan as well.

It plays to the SF electorate.

• Advertisement

"completely different scenarios and political entities" - ergo tactic acceptance of partition no mater how you cut it.
    Did the GFA woosh right over your head?
    So when the covid19 is over and Francie goes on his holidays.
    Chatting to a foreigner in some idyllic location

Foreigner: Francie where do you live?

Francie: the 'Island of Ireland'

Foreigner: Oh I love Golf Rory Mcllroy is great. Which part Francie?

Francie: The part run by the Dublin government.

Foreigner: What is the country called?

Francie: Ireland/The 26 Counties/The Free State

Foreigner: Is that all the same place is that what it says on your passport?

You talk to some odd foreigners...never once have I had to distinguish my country in that way. I use a 'multitude of terms', if i need to refer to the Republic Of Ireland I do...all the time.
    Flags, Anthems, Names of places, doesn't really bother me actually.

Maybe you have done extensive research among foreigners on this, as well?

Did the GFA woosh right over your head?

You talk to some odd foreigners...never once have I had to distinguish my country in that way. I use a 'multitude of terms', if i need to refer to the Republic Of Ireland I do...all the time.
    Flags, Anthems, Names of places, doesn't really bother me actually.

Maybe you have done extensive research among foreigners on this, as well?

So you do call it the Republic of Ireland?

Ergo you are a 'new' SF voter who is partitionist. As you accept the name, laws and rule of the ROI and so on.
    Yeah the SF voter is not confused at all.

If the GFA has gone over my head it has certainly gone over the head of some 'good republican's' Sean Quinn murder and so on.

SF want to try and have things both ways. They play with words when it comes to murder and play with words when it comes to referring to the ROI.

You are been deliberately obtuse there Francie. You think hard why AOS said it to Shatter. I will give you a hint his religion begins with J.

The only one in the DE

Also you just have to look at the comments Reada Cronin said and it becomes crystal clear the mindset of SF. The Paddy Hollahan as well.

It plays to the SF electorate.

So what if Shatter is a Jew? Was the reference intended to imply Shatter was going to kill himself, because that is what Goebbels and the nazis did?

Goebbels was a world famous Minister for Propaganda.

If AOS has a track record of Anti Semitic comments, fine, your point stands. But he doesn't, so any jury would find he was making a reference that had nothing to do with religion.

So you do call it the Republic of Ireland?

Ergo you are a 'new' SF voter who is partitionist. As you accept the name, laws and rule of the ROI and so on.
    Yeah the SF voter is not confused at all.

AWWWWW you got me GGD ......you got me!

I am 'partitionist' because i said Republic of Ireland. :):):)

Tbf everyone out my way calls it the free state aswell....seems to be midlands/pale thing to be triggered by that

Out your way? What year do they live in pre-1948? Now we are getting to the truth of the matter.
    'Out your way' they still refer to Dublin as the Pale and the ROI as the Free State.
    It is obviously a very small bubble you live in.

Yet at the same time you like to think of SF as the party of inclusiveness. :confused:

How can SF be inclusive when 'out your way' they do not even use the term ROI. And still refer to the Pale.

This is the real SF. People who do not accept reality it is a dangerous rhetoric.
    Free State/Pale and so on.

Why follow the laws in the state you reside in if you do not recognize it?
    Surely you should join Saoradh if you feel that strongly?

• Advertisement

So what if Shatter is a Jew? Was the reference intended to imply Shatter was going to kill himself, because that is what Goebbels and the nazis did?

Goebbels was a world famous Minister for Propaganda.

If AOS has a track record of Anti Semitic comments, fine, your point stands. But he doesn't, so any jury would find he was making a reference that had nothing to do with religion.

Any jury? Codswallop the days of the SF courts are long gone. But it is clear in the tone of your posts the way your mindset words. Hahaha all fun and games.

If the GFA has gone over my head it has certainly gone over the head of some 'good republican's' Sean Quinn murder and so on.

You wouldn't be using the death of a young lad to score a cheap point by any chance gorm?

And just for the record, it's Paul Quinn.

If you're going to pretend to care, at least get his name right.

Any jury? Codswallop the days of the SF courts are long gone. But it is clear in the tone of your posts the way your mindset words. Hahaha all fun and games.

That the best you can come up with? A snide deflection because once again you cannot come up with any proof or evidence bar your own deeply rooted bias and prejudiced.

You have been repeatedly challenged on your views and you have failed repeatedly to back them up.

Tbh mate....my name gives a fairly clear indicator where im from (are you even irish?)

Like ya....its still referred to as the pale....quite why this bothers you is beyond me

People still refer to all vaccum cleaners as hoovers too,i can get you number of a therapist to help you deal with these revelations if you want

Because it is indicative of how the SF voter plays to the past and lives in the past.
    Yet when any past is brought up that they do not like they claim it is ancient history. Sean Quinn and so on.
    And you imply AOS was only having a bit of craic with Shatter. Bullshít this is a former editor of An Phoblacht and the chief whip of SF.

If you cannot refer to Dublin as "Dublin no BAC as Gaeilge. There is something wrong with your mindset and it says a lot that you would refer to Dublin as the Pale. To be derogatory and degrading, much in the same manner as AOS was to Shatter.

I am surprised you are a new SF voter with this type of rhetoric and attitude.
    You should be ashamed of yourself.
    All fun and games playing with words.
    But when it comes to murders and cover ups - the playing with words and distancing becomes even more sinister. And saddening.

McMurphy wrote: »
    You wouldn't be using the death of a young lad to score a cheap point by any chance gorm?

And just for the record, it's Paul Quinn.

If you're going to pretend to care, at least get his name right.

Sorry I was thinking of the members of the Sean Quinn group there was a paramiliatry style hidings involved in that story as well

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/a-pig-s-head-burnt-out-vehicles-and-punishment-beating-the-persecution-of-quinn-executives-1.4022850?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Fcrime-and-law%2Fa-pig-s-head-burnt-out-vehicles-and-punishment-beating-the-persecution-of-quinn-executives-1.4022850

Because it is indicative of how the SF voter plays to the past and lives in the past.
    Yet when any past is brought up that they do not like they claim it is ancient history Sean Quinn and so on.
    And you imply AOS was only having a bit of craic with Shatter. Bullshít this is a former editor of An Phoblacht and the chief whip of SF.

If you cannot refer to Dublin as "Dublin no BAC as Gaeilge. There is something wrong with your mindset and it says a lot that you would refer to Dublin as the Pale. To be derogatory and degrading, much in the same manner as AOS was to Shatter.

I am surprised you are a new SF voter with this type of rhetoric and attitude.
    You should be ashamed of yourself.
    All fun and games playing with words.
    But when it comes to murders and cover ups - the playing with words and distancing becomes even more sinister. And saddening.

This is typical of anti Shinners. Stoop to any level to find fault.

What other Minister Of Propaganda would you have suggested he used?

Are you not allowed to mention any Nazis in earshot of a Jewish person? What is the protocol here...please answer this.

Yeah dissident republicans.

Those opposed to Sinn Fein and the peace process, you might recall Enda and Joan plonking one into our Seanad?

This is typical of anti Shinners. Stoop to any level to find fault.

What other Minister Of Propaganda would you have suggested he used?

Are you not allowed to mention any Nazis in earshot of a Jewish person? What is the protocol here...please answer this.

I know you don't believe what you are saying, as any fair minded person knows exactly what AOS was doing. He could have merely said Minister for Propagada. There have been many throughout history under various guises and names.
    I can't take you seriously any more because I get the impression you know what AOS was doing. You know he was wrong. But because of the bubble of a world you live in, you approve of it. And may even have found it funny.
    You should be ashamed of yourself, to have such a mindset.
    Attacking a tradition and a religious tradition at that

Yet when a member of the DUP made a mocking attempt at the Irish language there was uproar and offence in SF. A language SF only use ceremonially in Stormont as a political tool.

This is why SF are hypocrites in my view. But what AOS did with Shatter was funny?

McMurphy wrote: »
    Yeah dissident republicans.

Those opposed to Sinn Fein and the peace process, you might recall Enda and Joan plonking one into our Seanad?

Dissent republicans who Michelle O'Neill carefully referred to as having no 'Strategy in the Republican Project'

Interesting choice of words to refer to people, who want to murder her.
    Again SF playing with words in the Republican bubble.
    FrancieBrady has done it on this very thread.

The mind of SF and the SF supporter, is a convoluted messed up one to say the least.
    Michelle O'Neill has no problem embracing the PSNI

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0204/1113059-psni-recruitment/

RIC = Tans?
    PSNI = Grand?

• Advertisement

I know you don't believe what you are saying any fair minded person knows exactly what AOS was doing. He could have merely said minister for Propagada. There have been many throughout history under various guises and names.
    I can take you seriously any more because I get the impression you know what AOS was doing. You know he was wrong. But because of the bubble of a world you live in you approve of it. And may even have found it funny.
    You should be ashamed of yourself to have such a mindset.
    Attacking a tradition and a religious tradition at that

Yet when a member of the DUP made a mocking attempt at the Irish language there was uproar and offence in SF. A language SF only use ceremonially in Stormont as a political tool.

This is why SF are hypocrites in my view. But what AOS did with Shatter was funny?

Many throughout history but you cannot name one?

I never said it was funny. It was a metaphor, they are frequently used in real life.
    The Nazis provide quite a few. There is even an internet theory for when the Nazi's are used as a metaphor...'Godwin's'.

Ashamed of myself for referring to country as free state,like most people i know

Catch a hold of yourself....your losing touch with reality brah

You have already implied that calling Alan Shatter Goebells - a Jewish member of DE Goebbels was just a laugh.

If you look up the Sinclair v Gogarty case 1937

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/As_I_Was_Going_Down_Sackville_Street

You will see that the Jews in Ireland have long being classed as other and defamed.

Which is ironic considering all those Civil Rights marches in NI for religious tolerance. You should be ashamed of that, yet you seem proud of it.

Yet you have already admitted that 'up your way' you refer to 'the Pale' for Dublin. Which is an archaic slur used by Republicans.
    You have also said you refer to the 'Free State' which is an outdated term/slur used by republicans.
    Does it seem like 'up your way' seems a bit archaic and out of touch and a product of a by gone age?

You seem to like to portray yourself as a 'new' SF voter but you seem immersed in archaic republican views, and use old republican slurs.

And just to sound a bit 'modern' you end with a condescending 'brah'.
    Which I doubt you use in normal conversation.
    It would not sound great in a Cavan accent for example.

You have opened the door just a little to get a true picture of your mindset.
    Which is the point I have making at the very beginning SF voters are peculiar - full of contractions and have a peculiar mindset and archaic manner of speaking. The SF core vote.
    Glorifying history when it suits and hiding and deflecting when it does not.

The more intelligent in SF target the under-educated working class in the likes of West Dublin. The playing with words starts.

But the SF strategy is more long term they hope with the long passage of type to fool naive young middle class voters. They start by feminising SF getting rid of the threatening beards.
    That is the clear plan.

Thankfully, after the covid19 is over most people in the ROI - will reevaluate the importance of a life-any life. Any it will become more pertinent when the recent history and lawlessness/double talk of SF is properly looked at by some of the - ordinary decent Irish people who were fooled into voting SF. Through ignorance of it's history, duplicity and actions. Then they will look at how the caretaker government preformed during the crisis.

SF will just seem like a bad comedy act in comparison - with thier Republican panto of flags/burials, oh ah up the ra. Odd use of terms Free State/Southern State and so on.

You have already implied that calling Alan Shatter Goebells - a Jewish member of DE Goebbels was just a laugh.

If you look up the Sinclair v Gogarty case 1937

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/As_I_Was_Going_Down_Sackville_Street

You will see that the Jews in Ireland have long being classed as other and defamed.

Which is ironic considering all those Civil Rights marches in NI for religious tolerance. You should be ashamed of that, yet you seem proud of it.

Yet you have already admitted that 'up your way' you refer to 'the Pale' for Dublin. Which is an archaic slur used by Republicans.
    You have also said you refer to the 'Free State' which is an outdated term/slur used by republicans.
    Does it seem like 'up your way' seems a bit archaic and out of touch and a product of a by gone age?

You seem to like to portray yourself as a 'new' SF voter but you seem immersed in archaic republican views, and use old republican slurs.

And just to sound a bit 'modern' you end with a condescending 'brah'.
    Which I doubt you use in normal conversation.
    It would not sound great in a Cavan accent for example.

You have opened the door just a little to get a true picture of your mindset.
    Which is the point I have making at the very beginning SF voters are peculiar - full of contractions and have a peculiar mindset and archaic manner of speaking. The SF core vote.
    Glorifying history when it suits and hiding and deflecting when it does not.

The more intelligent in SF target the under-educated working class in the likes of West Dublin. The playing with words starts, but the SF strategy is more long term they hope with the long passage of type to fool naive young middle class voters. They start by feminising SF getting rid of the threatening beards.
    That is the clear plan.

Thankfully, after the covid19 is over most people in the ROI - will reevaluate the importance of a life any life. Any it will become more pertinent when the recent history and lawlessness/double talk of SF is properly looked at by some of the - ordinary decent Irish people who were fooled into voting SF. Through ignorance of it's history, duplicity and actions. Then they will look at how the caretaker government preformed during the crisis.

SF will just seem like a bad comedy act in comparison - with thier Republican panto of flags/burials, oh ah up the ra. Odd use of terms Free State/Southern State and so on.

Even a female leader appealing to female voters is 'sinister'.

There's a lot of bogeymen and women under your bed GDG

The only way I could see SF getting into government is if Mary Lou died of Covid19 or the less lethal virus she got subsequently. As Republicanism loves a martyr. But they never had a middle class woman martyr from Rathgar yet.
    As we all know no organisation loves a martyr more than republicanism.
    They could have the tricolour on the coffin - the gun salute and so on.

The more I think of it I think SF missed a trick they could have told Mary Lou to take one for the team.
    Polls rise and so on.

O'Cuiv Taoiseach after the public sympathy?

Even a female leader appealing to female voters is 'sinister'.

There's a lot of bogeymen and women under your bed GDG

I think the heat is getting to you 'brah'. I never mentioned the word sinister you did. I merely mentioned SF long term planning. It is very apparent.

Many throughout history but you cannot name one?

I never said it was funny. It was a metaphor, they are frequently used in real life.
    The Nazis provide quite a few. There is even an internet theory for when the Nazi's are used as a metaphor...'Godwin's'.

Knock yourself out:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ministry_of_propaganda

Plenty for you there.

I think the heat is getting to you 'brah'. I never mentioned the word sinister you did. I merely mentioned SF long term planning. It is very apparent.

You implied it was a plan designed to fool the electorate.
    That is a 'sinister' plan by anybody's book.

Knock yourself out:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ministry_of_propaganda

Plenty for you there.

I think the fact you had to go to google says it all.

If you knew of another one you would have typed a few examples.

You implied it was a plan designed to fool the electorate.
    That is a 'sinister' plan by anybody's book.

It is not sinister it is just re-branding and politics.
    Similar to re-branding the RIC as the PSNI and so on.
    Making things more palatable for the more discerning voter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

When I moved to Enniskillen years ago in the 90s was the first time I ever heard the phrase “free state”

When I moved out from Northern Ireland I have heard it because my mate uses it as he is from Armagh....he laughs when people still ask “where?” When he says it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement