Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or have SF vanished?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

You...ONLY you deflected to me.

So no answer just vagueness in order to have a pop.

No need to deflect anymore. I get it.

I didn't deflect to you at all,I made a point about Republicans initially but pointing out along the way how your post in reply,invalidated any credibility in any future post you may make with a pretence to be independent

• Registered Users Posts: 68,948 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Mortelaro wrote: »
    I didn't deflect to you at all,I made a point about Republicans initially but pointing out along the way how your post in reply,invalidated any credibility in any future post you may make with a pretence to be independent

I have always said I am a republican.
    You posted insinuating I hid that, you were wrong.
    Rather than admit you were wrong you double down and say now that something I have never hidden is going to 'invalidate' what I say, in the future?? :confused:

You have said you live in a republic. Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,946 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Mortelaro wrote: »

To be fair to Francie, he has never hidden the claim that he is a republican, but with the ability to be an independent judge of Sinn Fein and what they do. Take that as you will.

To me, credibility rests in what is in a post and the content of it. I'll leave it to you to make your judgment on credibility of his or mine or anyone else's post, that it what we all do.

blanch152 wrote: »
    To be fair to Francie, he has never hidden the claim that he is a republican, but with the ability to be an independent judge of Sinn Fein and what they do. Take that as you will.

To me, credibility rests in what is in a post and the content of it. I'll leave it to you to make your judgment on credibility of his or mine or anyone else's post, that it what we all do.

Thread is not about me blanch, thank you very much.

Thread is not about me blanch, thank you very much.

Was only trying to end the discussion back and forth between you and the other poster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,656 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Factually wrong to compare what happened the UUP vote to what happened the SDLP vote.

As stated, the SF vote grew steadily through the conflict/war of the 90's. The UUP vote collapsed when they agreed to the GFA.
    We know why this happened to the UUP.

The balkanisation of the North was a well known political term from the start of the '00s to now.

The two extremist parties now control the assembly and it was as much about fear and loathing about the other side than anything to do with policies.

No they didn't capitulate

Oh, so you are telling me that the British no longer control NI? :p
    The myth of the Provo campaign is that they actually lost the war. The British army still remains in the North and if one casts their eye back to the start of the PIRA in the 70's you will see that this was their first and primary aim, an aim they failed to achieve.

The rest of it is just window dressing for a new audience.

Not backed up by the data.

It is. When the PIRA stopped killing people, support for SF grew.
    Who knew that murdering people was harmful to one's electoral success :p

markodaly wrote: »
    The balkanisation of the North was a well known political term from the start of the '00s to now.

The two extremist parties now control the assembly and it was as much about fear and loathing about the other side than anything to do with policies.
    It was a phrase first used by The SDLP's Seamus Mallon I believe and like his other trite summary (The GFA was Sunningdale for slow learners) it totally lacks nuance and is grounded in his bitterness at losing out as well as being factually untrue. The UUP's vote crashed because Unionists believed the capitulated/surrendered/sold out.
    Sinn Fein's vote grew through the conflict.

Oh, so you are telling me that the British no longer control NI? :p
    The myth of the Provo campaign is that they actually lost the war. The British army still remains in the North and if one casts their eye back to the start of the PIRA in the 70's you will see that this was their first and primary aim, an aim they failed to achieve.

The rest of it is just window dressing for a new audience.
    The conflict/war ended in a recognised stalemate.

I asked this before: what military campaign ever started with slogans or an aim with the words 'We might....' ?

Personally I am glad the IRA evolved and had the ability to change tack...are you not? I am also glad and congratulate the British for changing tack and signing the GFA, a signal moment for the Irish nation as a whole. Are you not?

It is. When the PIRA stopped killing people, support for SF grew.
    Who knew that murdering people was harmful to one's electoral success :p

I presented the data to show SF support growing all through the 90's elections when the conflict was still raging, bombs were destroying the heart of Engalnd etc.
    So please back up your opinion similarly.

The conflict/war ended in a recognised stalemate.

The terrorist campaign ended with the UK still in control of the North. That is not a stalemate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

The terrorist campaign ended with the UK still in control of the North. That is not a stalemate.
    And SF/IRA members were officially on the British payroll. Less of the handover of bundles of banknotes in a pub carpark

It ended when Britain signed the GFA.

When the IRA got the assurances they needed they decommissioned.

That is not a surrender or defeat or a win, it is a negotiated settlement when stalemate was arrived at imo. The British had to agree...then the arms were put beyond use.

I know you need the victory for your version of history, but those are the facts.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

The Canary Wharf bombing brought the Brits to the table. forced them to the table you could look at that as a victory for the IRA

Runaways wrote: »
    The Canary Wharf bombing brought the Brits to the table. forced them to the table you could look at that as a victory for the IRA

In the Westminister election following Canary Wharf, SF had grown their % support by over 6% and had 2 MPs to the SDLPs 3, having had none up to that.

Yeh...'no support' alright!

McMurphy wrote: »

Why am I "not a nice person" because I mentioned Enda and Joan having no reservations whatsoever with placing a dissident republican into the Seanad?

I think the whole 'bantz' about Maria Cahill receiving death threats from Paramilities and putting her and her young children's lives in danger and making light of it is the reason you got that comment.

Its all fun and games on boards, but one and especially SF supporters should think twice about making light on violence against women.

Redgirl82 wrote: »
    So should I look past the statement on
    Maria Cahill getting raped by IRA/SF
    Paul Quinn getting murdered by IRA/SF
    Gerry Adams brother raping his daughter and getting protected by IRA/SF

Sounds like SF are the new Catholic Church.
    Less frocks but more guns and folk ballads. Still the same abuse of power though.

I think the whole 'bantz' about Maria Cahill receiving death threats from Paramilities and putting her and her young children's lives in danger and making light of it is the reason you got that comment.

Its all fun and games on boards, but one and especially SF supporters should think twice about making light on violence against women.

Oh dear...now people are making light of 'violence against women'? Ridiculous faux outrage again.

Tbf shes well able to give abuse that wan,wasnt she caught abusing lyra mckee (since you like to.haul.up her name?) on social.media?

This is the way it works.
    Because she made a allegation against SF nothing she does or says subsequently can be questioned.

The modus operandi of the anti Shinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Just a hunch I have mark, but I imagine her life was in much more severe danger when she enlisted with the dissidents.

Let's try and pivot onto something else about her though, rather than address the fact that FG and labour govt fully endorsed a dissident republican in the Seanad.

I'm on to you chief.

Oh dear...now people are making light of 'violence against women'? Ridiculous faux outrage again.

They are. You are quick to go around and tell everyone that the rape that occured as 'alleged' even though when the crime happened there was a Kangeroo Court with Gerry Adams himself, so the incident was never going to see the light of day in an actual courtroom.

It's all great 'locker room bantz' but dare I suggest people should see it from the woman's side too, sometimes.

Just a hunch I have mark, but I imagine her life was in much more severe danger when she enlisted with the dissidents.

Let's try and pivot onto something else about her though, rather than address the fact that FG and labour govt fully endorsed a dissident republican in the Seanad.

I'm on to you chief.

Master of deflection again.

Someone says something negative about SF.... responds back about FG...

Rinse and repeat x1000

It ended when Britain signed the GFA.

When the IRA got the assurances they needed they decommissioned.

That is not a surrender or defeat or a win, it is a negotiated settlement when stalemate was arrived at imo. The British had to agree...then the arms were put beyond use.

I know you need the victory for your version of history, but those are the facts.

Who still has guns in the North?

The British Army... that tells you all you need to know about THAT stalemate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Tbf he basically called yous homophobic yesterday for critiseing varadkar

Pure junk level debate,in effort to get thread shutdown imo

its always their level of debate. if in doubt, say the usual names and forget anything inconvenient. I wouldnt mind but i'd say most of them rarely have set foot in the north, particular pre GFA.

The usual banter is 'republicans' on boards are always defending SF. In reality its usually pointing out the misconceptions, untruths and at times downright lies that get spouted that causes the reaction

grow up. 'nan na naa naa naa our side won' - cop on with that carryon

They are. You are quick to go around and tell everyone that the rape that occured as 'alleged' even though when the crime happened there was a Kangeroo Court with Gerry Adams himself, so the incident was never going to see the light of day in an actual courtroom.

It's all great 'locker room bantz' but dare I suggest people should see it from the woman's side too, sometimes.

The man alleged to be her abuser and the others implicated ALL turned up to court to defend themselves. The court case never happened.

It remains an allegation.

I personally have my own opinion of what happened based on what Mairia Cahill says about the abuse but that does not and never should mean that the man is guilty.
    This is a democracy and you have the right to defend yourself and to be presumed innocent until a court/jury decides otherwise.
    I apply the same rights to everybody else, including the British Army for instance.

But when it suits the argument...'the 'RA still have them'.

Dear me. Spinning yourself into a hoop Mark because the actual data and facts prove you are wrong.

these fellas love SF. theres a new thread on the go and all!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Master of deflection again.

Someone says something negative about SF.... responds back about FG...

Rinse and repeat x1000

Keep up mark, this particular conversation began with how Enda and Joan had no bother plonking a dissident into the Seanad.

By "deflect" you mean bring it back to the original point being made - yeah? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Personally I am glad the IRA evolved and had the ability to change tack...

Evolved is an interesting choice of words. Not one I would usually associate with the IRA or any dissident group. But I suppose it is accurate. They did move from being murderers, rapists and terrorists to being murderers, rapists and drug dealers. I supposes you could call that evolution.

Still protected by the same politicians though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

I'm on to you chief.

If you want to discuss FG and Labour then bring it to those threads, just an idea. This is Sinn Fein thread

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If you are not going to interact civilly, or want to deflect the discussion onto another topic, threadbans and other sanctions will be applied

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Dissidents have more in common with FG/Labour?

Ha, ha, ha, that is so funny.

They are just the slowest of slow learners who haven't learned since 1970 that violence will never solve anything.

I'll explain:

Dissidents are opposed to the GFA moves and a cessation of violence under said terms the IRA signed up to. This makes them different.
    FG/Lab made a dissident a Senator. So politically speaking FG/Lab are willing to reward a dissident with a senate seat despite their stance on the peace process where the IRA are politically opposed to them and signed up for peace.
    Do you understand? The person who shot Lyra McKee was associated with dissidents. So to match dissidents or her killing to the IRA or SF for that matter is complete idiocy.
    You really need to educate yourself on the north and it's politics before you start using it to cover for Fine Gael, so poorly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement