Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or have SF vanished?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,942 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

40% of those in arrears are paying...if you start evicting them you get nothing only the costs of evicting them and then you create more homeless people.

So, the 33m figure starts diminishing very quickly...lets say you manage to get 20m....so to meet the SF proposed spend, you only have to get another 5.475 billion approx.

A child would know this is not a solution.

This is an example of the cognitive dissonance at the heart of Sinn Fein policy.

On the one hand we are told that the expenditure will be repaid in the form of rent, on the other we are told that the colossal amount of unpaid rent won't make a dint in the cost of the expenditure.

It does not add up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Runaways wrote: »
    That’s pure bollocks
    There isn’t one MP in parliament who would vote the same way as Sinn Fein on anything even Brexit

And why would SF go into Parliament to stop Brexit when Brexit is bringing about their ultimate aim which is a united Ireland

None of you FG sycophants seem to have an actual clue about anything it’s gas
    Ah,so the previous parliament would vote for Brexit if SF turned up
    I See
    I fear it's you hasn't a clue

So SF are also in favour of Brexit, I see...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

markodaly wrote: »
    The 80's? When we had way more people leaving the country then arriving, which resulted in no pressure on housing at all?[

I stayed. It was more because social housing was still being built by the State/Councils.

The 80's? Which was 40 years ago at this stage?
    And?

The 80's? Right after the 77 elections when FF abolished rates?

My first general election to vote in. Even I knew then that abolishing road tax was just stupid.

Again, lets not hark back to golden era nostalgia.
    I'm not a bit nostalgic for the amount of tax I had to pay to cover these extravagances of Fianna Fail. I had a reasonably good PAYE job and several times having done a bit of overtime, 50% of my salary went on tax. I also remember on my first mortgage that the interest rate was 18% and could fluctuate by +/- 100 euro a month over the term of mortgage.

No, I'm not nostalgic at all for that period in time. Four companies that I worked for during that period went bust.

Mortelaro wrote: »
    I wish other Sinn fein people would do what he did then and cross his fingers behind his back whilst pledging an oath to the Queen taking his seat in Westminster
    If the SF mps had done the same,there would be no Brexit

Conor McGinn lives in England (by choice presumably) and is a Labour MP whose Head of State is the Queen.

If Sinn Fein introduced that Bill in WM, no one would have supported it. Do you not know anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,930 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    This is an example of the cognitive dissonance at the heart of Sinn Fein policy.

On the one hand we are told that the expenditure will be repaid in the form of rent, on the other we are told that the colossal amount of unpaid rent won't make a dint in the cost of the expenditure.

It does not add up.

Getting money slower than you expect is better than not getting it at all. Simple business that does add up.

• Advertisement

Ah,so the previous parliament would vote for Brexit if SF turned up
    I See
    I fear it's you hasn't a clue

So SF are also in favour of Brexit, I see...

This approach to principles and core values - we can drop them to take advantage of a given situation - is what has the power swap were they are, down to it's lowest ever share of the vote.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

Sorry that I can't be on these boards 24/7 to counter all the nonsense that is posted, but I have a real life.

I will have a look and see if there is anything substantive worth answering.

Lol

Thats funny

What do you just have a boards wide notification set up on your phone or something every time Sinn Feins mentioned you’re there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

It does not add up.

Not to defend SF economic policy, as I see some massive holes in it myself, but the above isn't necessarily a contradiction if the amount of rental non-compliance is a small percentage of rental revenue. Your use of the word, 'colossal' doesn't make it so.

The big headline number is that there is €33m of council rent outstanding to Dublin City council as of the start of 2020. The bit less parroted is that this is an increase of €4m on the 2019 figures.

This was the biggest increase in years, so even with these bad year numbers, we're looking at saving €4m a year by totally wiping out non compliance in Dublin, if we ignore the costs of enforcing compliance. €4m p/a is about 0.15% of the housing budget for 2020, so let's not pretend the arrears are what is preventing housing from being built.

Not to defend non-payment of the rent you and I already heavily subsidise, on that I fully support garnishing benefits or wages at source.

jm08 wrote: »
    Conor McGinn lives in England (by choice presumably) and is a Labour MP whose Head of State is the Queen.

If Sinn Fein introduced that Bill in WM, no one would have supported it. Do you not know anything?

SF could have voted in any number of votes in Westminster including one for a referendum
    Many of these would have passed
    I do know that

This approach to principles and core values - we can drop them to take advantage of a given situation - is what has the power swap were they are, down to it's lowest ever share of the vote.

I'd believe you,only SF wouldn't turn down FF if they offered a coalition would they
    So your premise is full of holes

• Advertisement

I'd believe you,only SF wouldn't turn down FF if they offered a coalition would they
    So your premise is full of holes

No they wouldn't - if they could negotiate a satisfactory programme for government.

Michael Martin was all for a coalition when it looked like he was going to finish on 50 seats...he shut that door fairly quickly when he realised that he would have to talk to a party that is not prepared to move on it's core principles...not for a wee bypass here or a reopened Garda Station there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

No they wouldn't - if they could negotiate a satisfactory programme for government.

Michael Martin was all for a coalition when it looked like he was going to finish on 50 seats...he shut that door fairly quickly when he realised that he would have to talk to a party that is not prepared to move on it's core principles...not for a wee bypass here or a reopened Garda Station there.

I didn’t hear anything from FF to say they wanted to go into government

More fantasy, I guess you have moved on from FG, Pitt you couldn’t move to Sinn Fein

Redgirl82 wrote: »
    I didn’t hear anything from FF to say they wanted to go into government

More fantasy, I guess you have moved on from FG, Pitt you couldn’t move to Sinn Fein

You really should learn to use google when you don't know stuff, claiming things never happened is a weak way of debating .

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/election-2020/martin-opens-the-door-to-coalition-with-sinn-fein-38941313.html
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/fianna-f%25C3%25A1il-reaction-martin-opens-door-to-government-with-fg-or-sf-1.4167246

You're saying there SF wouldn't go into government with FF, but you you know darn right well that they would
    Core principles my aunt Sally
    Deals always trump manifestos
    Only FF don't want to deal

• Registered Users Posts: 14,655 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

My first general election to vote in. Even I knew then that abolishing road tax was just stupid.

I was on about Property Tax. SF wants to abolish it, again and we saw how that worked out... do you think we should abolish LPT?

You're saying there SF wouldn't go into government with FF, but you you know darn right well that they would
    Core principles my aunt Sally
    Deals always trump manifestos
    Only FF don't want to deal

I said what they said...they will go in when they can negotiate a satisfactory programme for government that respects their mandate.

Not because they got freebies to look the other way.

Hard concept to grasp if you are in love with how coaition has been done by the power swap. That is why MM shut the door...he knew he couldn't buy control

I edited the post to fix the quote tags. What 'name' did I remove?

And now I cannot mention Westminister when discussing NI? :) I hope to live until the day that that is not necessary. :)

I listed the achievements. I will bullet point them for clarity, in case that is your issue.
    They have delivered/achieved:
    1. Irish language Rights
    2. SSM
    3. Women's Rights
    4. Pushing reform of a policing service that all can trust.
    5. An all island approach to Brexit.
    6. An All island approach to Covid 19
    7. Reductions in contentious parades
    8. Normalised the flying of flags

Just some of the things that SF can take credit for being involved in. And nobody is denying that they have also failed in other areas.

(1) Irish Language Rights: There is no standalone Irish Language Act, and SF have agreed that there will not be one. This is an achievement to rank alongside getting the British out of Ireland ie. it didn't happen.

(2) SSM: Legislated by the Tory government, in a parliament which Sinn Fein boycott.

(3) Women's Rights: Gender pay gap in Northern Ireland is far worse than the South and than even the rest of the UK. Abortion was legislated by the Tory government, in a parliament which Sinn Fein boycott.

(4) Pushing reform of a policing service that all can trust: Pushing? That is an achievement? The reform was led by others, Sinn Fein stood by and spectated.

(5) An all island approach to Brexit: Sinn Fein did nothing to achieve this. They weren't involved at any stage in any of the serious negotiations, they contributed nothing constructive, they talked on the sidelines.

(6) An All island approach to Covid 19: What all-island approach? Where is the NI lockdown exit plan? When are we going to see it? This is a mirage.

(7) Reductions in contentious parades: If anything epitomises the small-town approach of Sinn Fein, listing this and the next point as achievements surely ranks right up there. Did they manage to set up a few Neighbourhood Watch Schemes and Tidy Towns organisations as well? [Oops, forgot that they have a history with the friendly Neighbourly Kneecapping Project]. Seriously, the fact that parades is considered a serious issue when health, education, crime, immigration, social welfare, taxation, local charges, broadband, infrastructural provision, public transport etc. are all, without exception, missing from this list, says it all.

(8) Normalised the flying of flags: Eh, who cares? The most nauseating issue in respect of flags is the "republican" tradition of appropriating our national flag to place on the coffins of terrorists. Sinn Fein have done nothing to stop this.

My earlier post, on the complete lack of achievement from Sinn Fein, stands.
    I am still waiting for a single achievement of Sinn Fein. Lobbying others to do something isn't an achievement, especially if it is something they would have done anyway (e.g. drop the best Brexit outcome - SM and CU - when it became unachievable and drop to a lower possible outcome).

More fantasy and embellishment.

"I think we’ll let things calm down today,” he told RTÉ. “We’ll assess when the full count is in and the full number of seats are in. I’m a democrat, I listen to the people. I respect the decision of the people.”"

That is what Micheal Martin said, from the link you provided.

It does not equate in any way to "Michael Martin was all for a coalition when it looked like he was going to finish on 50 seats..."

Revisionist history, take a bow, you are almost happening in real time now.

(1) Irish Language Rights: There is no standalone Irish Language Act, and SF have agreed that there will not be one. This is an achievement to rank alongside getting the British out of Ireland ie. it didn't happen.

(2) SSM: Legislated by the Tory government, in a parliament which Sinn Fein boycott.
    Which is what should happen when all other attempts are exhausted.
    SF (and others) progressed it to the point where the UK parliament were mandated to step in.
    (3) Women's Rights: Gender pay gap in Northern Ireland is far worse than the South and than even the rest of the UK. Abortion was legislated by the Tory government, in a parliament which Sinn Fein boycott.
    See above.
    (4) Pushing reform of a policing service that all can trust: Pushing? That is an achievement? The reform was led by others, Sinn Fein stood by and spectated.
    Ha ha. See the SDLP trying to accept watered down reform and SF's reaction.
    . There was no proper functioning Police Board until SF was happy with it. Talking utter nonsense as usual blanch.
    (5) An all island approach to Brexit: Sinn Fein did nothing to achieve this. They weren't involved at any stage in any of the serious negotiations, they contributed nothing constructive, they talked on the sidelines.
    Nonsense again. I posted the Dáil debates before where they lobbied for an all island appraoch against Enda's government position at that time.
    FG did an about face on that when SF's prediction of what it would mean for a border came true.
    (6) An All island approach to Covid 19: What all-island approach? Where is the NI lockdown exit plan? When are we going to see it? This is a mirage.
    SF were pivotal in the getting the North -South co-operation going. The reason there is isn't full alignment, is in three letters D-U_P and their refusal to be seen doing it. But thankfully it is all but in alignment.
    (7) Reductions in contentious parades: If anything epitomises the small-town approach of Sinn Fein, listing this and the next point as achievements surely ranks right up there. Did they manage to set up a few Neighbourhood Watch Schemes and Tidy Towns organisations as well? [Oops, forgot that they have a history with the friendly Neighbourly Kneecapping Project]. Seriously, the fact that parades is considered a serious issue when health, education, crime, immigration, social welfare, taxation, local charges, broadband, infrastructural provision, public transport etc. are all, without exception, missing from this list, says it all.

(8) Normalised the flying of flags: Eh, who cares? The most nauseating issue in respect of flags is the "republican" tradition of appropriating our national flag to place on the coffins of terrorists. Sinn Fein have done nothing to stop this.

Yes, we know a man of partitionist persuasions would not see any value or importance in this achievement. You don't care and never did what people have to endure in NI. Never better highlighted by your derogatory remarks regarding this.

More fantasy and embellishment.

"I think we’ll let things calm down today,” he told RTÉ. “We’ll assess when the full count is in and the full number of seats are in. I’m a democrat, I listen to the people. I respect the decision of the people.”"

That is what Micheal Martin said, from the link you provided.

It does not equate in any way to "Michael Martin was all for a coalition when it looked like he was going to finish on 50 seats..."

Revisionist history, take a bow, you are almost happening in real time now.

Wiser heads than you saw it as plain and simple 'opening the door' to a party he vowed to have no dealings with.
    If only he had said it about another party too and then welched on that, we could prove it. :):)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

You said you voted for Sinn Fein based on housing but you have no idea what the housing policy is they have?

Great to see the people of Ireland have such consideration for the privileged that many Irish died to get them

Personally, well first off I would go after all the people sitting in council houses not paying rent. Would you not think that is a good policy? free up millions to build more houses

No, I read up on the housing part after lies were spun regarding it, just to clarify for myself. As I said if they simply came out and said, 'build more social and affordable' I'd have given them a vote. I find the details change when folk try implement policy so I'm not naive enough to think every fine detail will be achieved exactly as written.

What do you mean by:
    Great to see the people of Ireland have such consideration for the privileged that many Irish died to get them
    It's comes across as bizarre. Can you explain?

Yes I would. Rent should be taken directly from wages/welfare etc.
    But you didn't answer my question?
    Do you feel record breaking crises year on year is something we need to keep?
    Rent arrears is a problem but even if we'd zero rent arrears we'd still be follwing the same policies right?

markodaly wrote: »
    I was on about Property Tax. SF wants to abolish it, again and we saw how that worked out... do you think we should abolish LPT?

I think taxation is fairer.

As I posted the main issue I see is non payment of rent, why waste more money Building house to give to people who have no intention of paying rent?

Fix the current system first

The concentration should be on affordable housing and fix the public transport so people can live outside main cities.

You realise that instead of building social we are entering into 25 year leases with vulture funds, to house the very same people right? So the options are hotels, 25 year leases, private landlords or social housing.
    I would support higher rates of repossessions in Ireland, this would drive down mortgage rates for everyone else. Why should everyone suffer for the few.

We have a society and we must deal with everyone at some level. If you push for evictions, cool, then we need pay for a hotel.

I said what they said...they will go in when they can negotiate a satisfactory programme for government that respects their mandate.

Not because they got freebies to look the other way.

Hard concept to grasp if you are in love with how coaition has been done by the power swap. That is why MM shut the door...he knew he couldn't buy control

I doubt now that MM had one view on SF one day and another the next
    His problem was sharing Taoiseach with SF
    That's his only problem
    A problem he wouldn't have had if he would have got the 55 to 60 seats he expected

SF on the other hand would do a deal with FF
    Theres no doubt about that

That's his only problem
    A problem he wouldn't have had if he would have got the 55 to 60 seats he expected

He put it to FF and they refused. MM would have gone with it had FF not resisted. I think he still would. Better to use SF than risk getting used by FG.

That's his only problem

If ever an answer was 'suiting' yourself, that is it.

I don't care what you think his problem was...he opened the door when he thought he had control and shut it when that wasn't the case.

He adopted the same position regarding FG...'Never Never' but is now up to his oxters trying to sledgehammer a government.

Both FG and FF knew that the safety net was always gonna be the two of them concocting a deal to keep power between them.
    Looks like the Greens are the meat in that sandwich again. The Last Waltz of the power swap, as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Do I have to mention again this is the Sinn Fein thread...
    Another post, nothing of interest. Does this normal work? just bore people to death?
    The adults are talking now.

Mod: @Redgirl82 - rein it in. Next time will earn you a threadban.

If ever an answer was 'suiting' yourself, that is it.

I don't care what you think his problem was...he opened the door when he thought he had control and shut it when that wasn't the case.
    But you're agreeing with me,that's what I said,MM was only interested in SF as a junior partner
    He adopted the same position regarding FG...'Never Never' but is now up to his oxters trying to sledgehammer a government.
    Ain't he lucky that Leo left the door open then as a last resort solution
    Both FG and FF knew that the safety net was always gonna be the two of them concocting a deal to keep power between them.
    Looks like the Greens are the meat in that sandwich again.
    They may have been thinking about it,but one of them,FG,was prepared to walk away unless there was no other hope of a government and at least they stuck to their guns until all other options were tried
    The Last Waltz of the power swap, as they say.
    Nope,just another compromise, like what we have had since the '77 government, the last majorly single party government we ever had,dissolved that Dáil

• Registered Users Posts: 14,655 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I think taxation is fairer.

They are both taxation.

• Advertisement

But you're agreeing with me,that's what I said,MM was only interested in SF as a junior partner

Ain't he lucky that Leo left the door open then as a last resort solution

They may have been thinking about it,but one of them,FG,was prepared to walk away unless there was no other hope of a government and at least they stuck to their guns until all other options were tried

Nope,just another compromise, like what we have had since the '77 government, the last majorly single party government we ever had,dissolved that Dáil

You are codding yourself if you think FG were doing anything but covering blushes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement