Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or have SF vanished?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

da_miser wrote: »
    SF if the are smart will take a step back and let FF/FG get on with running the country..............into the ground.
    SF will clean up at the next election , they dont have enough TD's to form a government this time, but next time will be different

And next stop- we’ll be the Albania of Western Europe.

SF is not a coherent party- see it’s combo of some impressive TDs, some former Ra heads, anti- vaxers, conspiracy theorists and charlatans.

The message of some is interesting but there’s a whole like of loon ball behind the competent members & if history has thought us anythingA it’s that the loon balls will win out over the more ‘moderate’ members of the party.

The issue I would then have with the reasonable wing of the party is their utter failure to rule in NI.

The dereliction of duties, petty squabbles and non existent economic growth in NI should be ringing serious alarm bells in people’s heads.

Yeah we all like a rebel tunes sing song after a few pints but this hangover won’t be anywhere near worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭da_miser

The issue I would then have with the reasonable wing of the party is their utter failure to rule in NI.

The dereliction of duties, petty squabbles and non existent economic growth in NI should be ringing serious alarm bells in people’s heads..

Fact is it's not in SF interests to be successful in the North.
    Why would the people want change if the North was economically prosperous?
    If every thing is hunky dory why risk unification with the South?

SF need to get into power down South, Work hard and be the best government possible, get the economy going, make Ireland a leading country in many fields and then up North they can say, the North could have all that as well if there is unification, but London is holding back the Norths potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

SF need to get into power down South, Work hard and be the best government possible, get the economy going, make Ireland a leading country in many fields and then up North they can say, the North could have all that as well if there is unification, but London is holding back the Norths potential.

But SF are successful in the north?
    Hard to know what you are getting at with your last two posts.

That’s a cultish leap of faith opinion - worrying stuff.

Maybe they just aren’t able to govern, as the evidence suggests.

The funny thing about your ‘point’ is that the south already is streets ahead of the north economically and that’s been achieved without SF.

So the south is doing substantially better without SF ever having been anywhere near power and the north, where SF has been in power, is a failed state living on handouts - and you think that this is some grand plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,930 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

That’s a cultish leap of faith opinion - worrying stuff.

Maybe they just aren’t able to govern, as the evidence suggests.

The funny thing about your ‘point’ is that the south already is streets ahead of the north economically and that’s been achieved without SF.

So the south is doing substantially better without SF ever having been anywhere near power and the north, where SF has been in power, is a failed state living on handouts - and you think that this is some grand plan?

The first thing SF should do in Government here is to subsidise classes for those who think being in the Executive in Belfast is the same thing as being in The Dáil in Dublin.

It is ridiculous that people are still making the comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭piplip87

The first thing SF should do in Government here is to subsidise classes for those who think being in the Executive in Belfast is the same thing as being in The Dáil in Dublin.

Yet SF voted to hand back power to Westminster regarding welfare cuts a few years ago. They are now screaming about how they have no power over the same issue they decided to hand back to Westminster......

They have constantly shown in the North that they are not fit to govern. Collapsing the assembly over issues that should be dealt with in Parliament.

So since 2015 they have purposely handed power over to Westminster twice, Yet they claim to be Irish Republicans ?

Nonsense- same party, same ideology, same people running it.

They’ve crystallised failure in the north - that’s the only evidence that we have of them in power

piplip87 wrote: »
    Yet SF voted to hand back power to Westminster regarding welfare cuts a few years ago. They are now screaming about how they have no power over the same issue they decided to hand back to Westminster......

They have constantly shown in the North that they are not fit to govern. Collapsing the assembly over issues that should be dealt with in Parliament.

So since 2015 they have purposely handed power over to Westminster twice, Yet they claim to be Irish Republicans ?

The truth of what happened there was pointed out to you when you posted what you thought was a current article yesterday.

It just makes you look incredibly uninformed.

Being uninformed is one thing, refusing to take on board when it is explained to you is a much more serious issue for your credibility.

The truth of what happened there was pointed out to you when you posted what you thought was a current article yesterday.

It just makes you look incredibly uninformed.

Being uninformed is one thing, refusing to take on board when it is explained to you is a much more serious issue for your credibility.

No I took that on board but yet the fact is that SF still handed power willingly back to Westminster. It's laughable.

So if SF enter government here and cannot agree a budget with their partners. Are they going to be asking Borris to come back and take control of the countries finances ?

No I took that on board but yet the fact is that SF still handed power willingly back to Westminster. It's laughable.

What 'should' they have done?

• Advertisement

Something else anyway.
    What exactly did they gain from it?

Something else anyway.
    What exactly did they gain from it?

The something else was to collaspe stormont?

Which ironically this instance ultimately lead to

The same thing every other party is every other government does in the world. Negotiate with your partners in government, if that doesn't work call and election.

The same thing with "Cash for Ash" you investigate these things in parliament you do not leave a region without a working Assembly for three years while going through one of the most turbulent issues these islands have ever faced.

The something else was to collaspe stormont?

Which ironically this instance ultimately lead to

But what did it gain NI or its people or SF for that matter.
    They're back in there now with the very same crew and taking what Boris decides to throw them.
    It's been presented on here how they have no power anyway, by their own supporters even.

But what did it gain NI or its people or SF for that matter.
    They're back in there now with the very same crew and taking what Boris decides to throw them.
    It's been presented on here how they have no power anyway, by their own supporters even.

Its a joke anyway imo.....time to pull the plug on it....its quarter of a century and unionists still cant bring emselves to allow an irish language act or basic social reform

Why bother entertaining em anymore,push on with unity imo

The same thing every other party is every other government does in the world. Negotiate with your partners in government, if that doesn't work call and election.

Are you aware that northern Ireland collapsed into a 40 year conflict/war over these issues?
    Are you aware that there is an unprecedented agreement between two sovereign governments on running the place?
    Are you aware that all the political parties signed a 'Multi-Party agreement endorsing the international agreement EXCEPT one party. The very same one that SF had to, after 20 years of trying to 'negotiate' with, walkaway from?

Inform yourself as to how the GFA had stagnated to a point that it had stalled.

The same thing with "Cash for Ash" you investigate these things in parliament you do not leave a region without a working Assembly for three years while going through one of the most turbulent issues these islands have ever faced.

No, you don't 'investigate in Parliament' (the Executive is NOT a parliament) you set up an independent inquiry that cannot be interfered with by somebody still in power.
    Which is what happened by dint of SF walking out. That inquiry laid the blame where it belonged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

You and others were calling Leo a liar here for attacking Sinn Féins handling of the welfare payments in the north when you knew Sinn Féin handed back that power

I'd say Wow
    Only I'm not surprised

Its a joke anyway imo.....time to pull the plug on it....its quarter of a century and unionists still cant bring emselves to allow an irish language act or basic social reform

Why bother entertaining em anymore,push on with unity imo

But there's a hypocrisy in there participation in it.
    Is voters only reason for supporting them Irish unity?

But there's a hypocrisy in there participation in it.
    Is voters only reason for supporting them Irish unity?

Idk....i vote for em,as im over the way FFG run the country....id likely give soc dems number 1,if they were in my area

But i do believe in unity here,i think we can afford it,and it will benefit the poorest most....(near certain its in FF and Fg,and labour constitution to support reunification,its hardly a position unique to shinnerz,but admitely they are most active)

Mortelaro wrote: »
    You and others were calling Leo a liar here for attacking Sinn Féins handling of the welfare payments in the north when you knew Sinn Féin handed back that power

I'd say Wow
    Only I'm not surprised

No devolved government has control of the minimum wage...Leo even got schooled on that by a Welsh representative. He made a fool of himself.

• Advertisement

I'd say Wow
    Only I'm not surprised

Am i missing something,or were those complaining right,as they dont have control?

No devolved government has control of the minimum wage...Leo even got schooled on that by a Welsh representative. He made a fool of himself.

Yeah ignore all he said
    Yeah row backwards

Funny how you didnt want to school us on Sinn Féin handing back a financial power

Am i missing something,or were those complaining right,as they dont have control?

They gave it back like good republicans to her majesty

They gave it back like good republicans to her majesty

Seems to me,this is an admission,they were indeed correct?

Time to pull plug on stormont anyway,deosnt work

Yeah ignore all he said
    Yeah row backwards

Funny how you didnt want to school us on Sinn Féin handing back a financial power

Leo lied. I didn't 'ignore' anything.

No devolved government has power to change this.

Seems to me,this is an admission,they were indeed correct?

Time to pull plug on stormont anyway,deosnt work

Nope, theres good reason why MLM was stunned into silence on the day
    Because she'd have any argument hanged knowing that austerity in the north could have been thwarted by Sinn Féin

As for pulling the plug on Stormont, is that the view up north,I doubt it

Leo lied. I didn't 'ignore' anything.

No devolved government has power to change this.

Change what

Nope, theres good reason why MLM was stunned into silence on the day
    Because she'd have any argument hanged knowing that austerity in the north could have been thwarted by Sinn Féin

As for pulling the plug on Stormont, is that the view up north,I doubt it

She wasnt allowed reply afaik (dail protocol)

Like your complaining on people pointing out stormont dont set welfare rates,while simutaneously trying to make hay on fact westminster deos (due to a vote to allow this)

:pac:

Pull the plug,its a waste of time imho

Change what

It's school day again.
    The Assembly has authority to legislate in a field of competences known as "transferred matters". These matters are not explicitly given in the Northern Ireland Act 1998. Rather they include any competence not explicitly retained by the Parliament at Westminster. Powers reserved by Westminster are divided into "excepted matters", which it retains indefinitely, and "reserved matters", which may be transferred to the competence of the Northern Ireland Assembly at a future date. A list of transferred, reserved and excepted matters is given below.

Acts of the Northern Ireland Assembly as with other subordinate legislatures are subject to judicial review. A law can be struck down if it is found to:

exceed the competences of the Assembly;
    violate European Union law;
    violate the European Convention on Human Rights; or
    discriminate against individuals on the grounds of political opinion or religious belief.
    Transferred matters
    A transferred matter is defined as "any matter which is not an excepted or reserved matter".[27] There is therefore no full listing of transferred matters but they have been grouped into the responsibilities of the Northern Ireland Executive ministers:

Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs
    Communities
    Economy
    Education
    Finance
    Health
    Infrastructure
    Justice
    First and deputy First Minister
    Reserved matters
    Reserved matters are outlined in Schedule 3 of the Northern Ireland Act 1998:[28]

Navigation (including merchant shipping)
    Civil aviation
    The foreshore, sea bed and subsoil and their natural resources
    Postal services
    Import and export controls, external trade
    National minimum wage
    Financial services
    Financial markets
    Intellectual property
    Units of measurement
    Telecommunications, Broadcasting, Internet services
    The National Lottery
    Xenotransplantation
    Surrogacy
    Human fertilisation and embryology
    Human genetics
    Consumer safety in relation to goods

• Advertisement

While you are selectively schooling/lecturing (yet again) Francie,perhaps you could explain why SF in 20 years has not brought over min wage powers to NI
    Point me to just one bill introduced in Westminster
    They've had plenty strong negotiation periods to do so if they cared

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement