Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or have SF vanished?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,930 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Mortelaro wrote: »
    While you are selectively schooling/lecturing (yet again) Francie,perhaps you could explain why SF in 20 years has not brought over min wage powers to NI
    Point me to just one bill introduced in Westminster
    They've had plenty strong negotiation periods to do so if they cared

Why did SF not do something no other devolved government has done and make Leo right about what he said, you mean?

Can we live in the real world for a while Mort?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Why did SF not do something no other devolved government has done and make Leo right about what he said, you mean?

Can we live in the real world for a while Mort?

Are you dodging my question again
    As a reserved matter in 20 years,please point me to where SF even attempted to have a bill included at Westminster to devolve min wage,at one of their many strong negotiating situations during that time ? They mustn't have cared

Are you dodging my question again
    As a reserved matter in 20 years,please point me to where SF even attempted to have a bill included at Westminster to devolve min wage,at one of their many strong negotiating situations during that time ? They mustn't have cared

You can flog away at that horse that you know full well is dead as a doornail.

Did Leo lie about the situation with the minimum wage and the power to change it in NI and any devolved institution of the UK?

Yes he did.

Did Leo lie about the situation with the minimum wage and the power to change it in NI and any devolved institution of the UK?

Yes he did.

No he didn't and ye know he didn't
    SF politics is all talk the talk but no walk the walk (except walking away from social welfare powers)
    Ye in 20 years obviously done nothing about min wage in NI
    Little wonder Leo was taking no lectures on the subject given Dublins good record on both it and social welfare

No he didn't and ye know he didn't

Does any devolved administration have the power to set a different minimum wage to the one set by Westminster = NO it hasn't.
    Did Leo infer that a single political party could do this = Yes he did.

Now, can you define what a lie is Mort?

SF politics is all talk the talk but no walk the walk (except walking away from social welfare powers)
    Ye in 20 years obviously done nothing about min wage in NI
    Little wonder Leo was taking no lectures on the subject given Dublins good record on both it and social welfare

Leo, wasn't 'lectured' about the minimum wage, he lost the run of himself, lied and dropped his party into a social media frenzy where FG hypocrisy and holier than thou nonsense got exposed.

You are clearly still smarting from that.

By all means attack any political party for their failures (they all have them) don't lie and deceive about it though because you invariably end up looking the fool.

*We'll leave FG raising the Minimum Wage as an election approached and the allegations about 'buying the election' for another day.
    One hypocritical event at a time, sweet Jebus, and all that.

• Advertisement

Does any devolved administration have the power to set a different minimum wage to the one set by Westminster = NO it hasn't.
    Did Leo infer that a single political party could do this = Yes he did.
    They had 20 years to get it,where was it in the st Andrew's agreement for example?
    It's not there and not moved because SF don't care about it enough

Leo, wasn't 'lectured' about the minimum wage, he lost the run of himself, lied and dropped his party into a social media frenzy where FG hypocrisy and holier than thou nonsense got exposed.

You are clearly still smarting from that.
    As I said,he did not lie and you guys have made no attempt to change the minimum wage in NI in 20 years when you could have brought the power over
    Ye didnt care enough basically
    No point dodging that by asking me to look over there (at Scotland or Wales) ,that would be you deflecting again OR indeed mentioning the SFOS Twitter team
    Like 99% of the country,I don't see their missives, or those of their colleagues in FG or any other party,so certainly won't be 'smarting' about it
    By all means attack any political party for their failures (they all have them) don't lie and deceive about it though because you invariably end up looking the fool.
    Not one iota from you on why SF didnt even request min wage powers in 20 years despite many strong negotiating situations
    Talking the talk again,no walking the walk
    *We'll leave FG raising the Minimum Wage as an election approached and the allegations about 'buying the election' for another day.
    One hypocritical event at a time, sweet Jebus, and all that.
    If deflection doesn't work,make stuff up
    I understand
    S.O.P I suppose

They had 20 years to get it,where was it in the st Andrew's agreement for example?
    It's not there and not moved because SF don't care about it enough

As I said,he did not lie and you guys have made no attempt to change the minimum wage in NI in 20 years when you could have brought the power over
    Ye didnt care enough basically
    No point dodging that by asking me to look over there (at Scotland or Wales) ,that would be you deflecting again OR indeed mentioning the SFOS Twitter team
    Like 99% of the country,I don't see their missives, or those of their colleagues in FG or any other party,so certainly won't be 'smarting' about it

Not one iota from you on why SF didnt even request min wage powers in 20 years despite many strong negotiating situations
    Talking the talk again,no walking the walk

If deflection doesn't work,make stuff up
    I understand
    S.O.P I suppose

You are just lashing out the insults now Mort.

No devolved administration has the power to affect the Minimum Wage. Leo criticised a single political party for not doing it.

That was a lie. And it was a lie on top of hypocrisy about food parcels.

And as usual it backfired on Leo and FG, they did it all through the election campaign. He and you will get over it no doubt,to do it again.

As has been stated, Leo is the gift that keeps on giving.

You are just lashing out the insults now Mort.

No devolved administration has the power to affect the Minimum Wage. Leo criticised a single political party for not doing it.

That was a lie. And it was a lie on top of hypocrisy about food parcels.

And as usual it backfired on Leo and FG, they did it all through the election campaign. He and you will get over it no doubt,to do it again.

As has been stated, Leo is the gift that keeps on giving.
    Leo had a Strong point
    In response ,All the above from you and not an iota on not bringing over the minimum wage power in 20 years,just look over there ,THEY (Scotland and Wales) didn't do it deflection
    Meantime ye give social welfare powers back to Westminster where ye don't sit
    Honestly an outsider would be forgiven for thinking ye are more unionist than the unionists

Leo had a Strong point

Sure he did, if you like your points to be contra factual.

No problem if he wants to criticise, but yes, I have a problem when he lies and engages in hypocrisy. As did social media - almost instantaneously.

Another in a long line of rants, mis-information campaigns that have backfired on FG.

contra factual..

Super phrase to describe SF not being able over 20 years to do anything about minimum wage in Northern Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭maccored

blanch152 wrote: »
    It really is something when the Sinn Fein critics have been reduced to complaining about how far a sign language interpreter is from Dr. Holohan.

reduced to complaining? Sure thats not 'pointing out bull****'?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Interesting to note the success of SF's social media campaign in the canvas for the general election.
    I did point it out a few times during the campaign and it was laughed off by FG and FF supporters on here as being ineffectual and that the people who were spouting it, sharing it and commenting on it wouldn't vote anyway.
    It continues as we speak and despite SFs lack of public media time, their message is, still being widely spread quietly on social media, while anti government posts also abound and are, shared.
    SF are the masters of social media by a mile lads.
    Leo, Simon and Eoghain are their most reviled targets.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/sinn-f%C3%A9in-massively-dominant-on-facebook-during-general-election-1.4261458?mode=amp

Interesting to note the success of SF's social media campaign in the canvas for the general election.
    I did point it out a few times during the campaign and it was laughed off by FG and FF supporters on here as being ineffectual and that the people who were spouting it, sharing it and commenting on it wouldn't vote anyway.
    It continues as we speak and despite SFs lack of public media time, their message is, still being widely spread quietly on social media, while anti government posts also abound and are, shared.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/sinn-f%C3%A9in-massively-dominant-on-facebook-during-general-election-1.4261458?mode=amp

What the author of that doesn't tell you though is that much of the interactions are all from the same people
    If you put up a 1000 posts and 8 of the same people 'love' each one of them, that's 8000 interactions
    Ergo it's far from the full story
    Its the same here, there are 5 or 600 average on line at times in the current affairs forum but most of them are in the coronovirus sub forum not in the current affairs forum
    The main forum captures the entire number
    Ditto in the SF centric threads here, if I come in here 10 times a day and don't post, it's counted as 10 separate views and I'm only one person
    Very very few people bother opening them because they're all the same, see one see all of those

As for twitter, only 29% of the population had an account last year and a lot of them are dormant
    Facebook is losing a lot of numbers especially young people, a third of them left last year

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

It is also alot easier to be anti something (or for change) then to be pro the status quo on social media. Everyone loves a good moan.

Look at the last UK election, felt like my entire social media was full of Labour voters....

• Registered Users Posts: 27,942 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Yes he did.

I have had a look at Leo's quotes again:

"What’s the minimum wage in Northern Ireland where Sinn Féin is in power?”
    "What happened in Northern Ireland, where Sinn Féin is in office? A hundred pounds a week, nothing for the self-employed until June."

None of that is untrue. He never said that Sinn Fein had the power to change it. He asked the question as to the levels where Sinn Fein is in power. There is a real and genuine question as to what Sinn Fein are saying and doing about the social welfare levels in Northern Ireland. They are very vocal about the Irish Language Act, on which they achieved nothing, but they have nothing to say about the things that affect ordinary people. No wonder their vote is declining in the North.

They are very vocal about the Irish Language Act, on which they achieved nothing, but they have nothing to say about the things that affect ordinary people. No wonder their vote is declining in the North.

This is yet another lie.

'SF must compromise'...when they do compromise, they are losers.
    Varadkarian thinking right there.

This is yet another lie.

'SF must compromise'...when they do compromise, they are losers.
    Varadkarian thinking right there.

They shut down Stormont for years and achieved precisely what they were offered in the first place, a single Language Act covering both Irish and Ulster Scots.

In the meantime nurses didn't get payrises, West Belfast got even more impoverished, the health service was run down, and Sinn Fein politicians picked up their cheques.

They shut down Stormont for years and achieved precisely what they were offered in the first place, a single Language Act covering both Irish and Ulster Scots.

In the meantime nurses didn't get payrises, West Belfast got even more impoverished, the health service was run down, and Sinn Fein politicians picked up their cheques.

You had better talk to Simon Coveney who called it a 'win for those passionate about the Irish Language'.

A 'win' for the party that can never win in blanch's head.

By the way, this was a compromise that SF was willing to make with the DUP over a year earlier that the DUP bolted from.

You had better talk to Simon Coveney who called it a 'win for those passionate about the Irish Language'.

A 'win' for the party that can never win in blanch's head.

By the way, this was a compromise that SF was willing to make with the DUP over a year earlier that the DUP bolted from.

Eh, no it wasn't. There were significant concessions made to the DUP over the previous document, including in respect of the language issue.

And doesn't it say something that the only "achievement" of Sinn Fein is some half-baked compromise on the Irish language.

Eh, no it wasn't. There were significant concessions made to the DUP over the previous document, including in respect of the language issue.

And doesn't it say something that the only "achievement" of Sinn Fein is some half-baked compromise on the Irish language.

Your boogeymen have reached a preposterous size blanch.

If what you are saying is correct, then political parties around the world would be flocking to study SF to see how they managed to sustain the majority nationalist vote in NI for over 20 years and to achieve the highest vote in the most recent Irish election by doing 'nothing'.
    Perhaps you could present a paper. :)

• Advertisement

Your boogeymen have reached a preposterous size blanch.

If what you are saying is correct, then political parties around the world would be flocking to study SF to see how they managed to sustain the majority nationalist vote in NI for over 20 years and to achieve the highest vote in the most recent Irish election by doing 'nothing'.
    Perhaps you could present a paper. :)

According to you Fine Gael and Fianna Fail have managed it for far longer down here.

The reasons for Sinn Fein's success up North comes down to its ability to promote sectarianism as the main reason for choosing who to vote for.

According to you Fine Gael and Fianna Fail have managed it for far longer down here.

The reasons for Sinn Fein's success up North comes down to its ability to promote sectarianism as the main reason for choosing who to vote for.

So you are calling the vast majority of nationalists 'sectarian' even those who previously voted for the SDLP?

Pretty monstrous claim there blanch. As I said, you really need to stop feeding the boogeymen.

*And yet another lie: I have never claimed that FG and FF have achieved nothing here.

So you are calling the vast majority of nationalists 'sectarian' even those who previously voted for the SDLP?

Pretty monstrous claim there blanch. As I said, you really need to stop feeding the boogeymen.

*And yet another lie: I have never claimed that FG and FF have achieved nothing here.

No, I am not calling the vast majority of nationalists "sectarian". I am suggesting that the two main sectarian parties in the North prey on peoples' fear of the "other" to secure support.

Thankfully, both parties appear to be at the start of a long decline.

No, I am not calling the vast majority of nationalists "sectarian". I am suggesting that the two main sectarian parties in the North prey on peoples' fear of the "other" to secure support.

Thankfully, both parties appear to be at the start of a long decline.

The people are not sectarian but they are picking a sectarian party again and again and again?

:):):):)

Today is eddie fullertons anniversairy (RIP)

Sammy wilson,refering to this and martin ohagens murders (last 2 elected politians to be murdered in ireland) to belfast city council asked would they formally "congratulate all those,who done a good job on both sides of the border"

Also referred to SF voters as sub-human animals and called for a policy of extremination

WTF are people engaging in bullsh1t saying.SF are promoting sectarianism....when likes of that chap are still walking in on every election to westminister....

calling for extremination of others is sectarian,an irish language act isnt....fcuking joke,what passes for informed debate here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Why are they voting for SF so? What have they delivered for the voters in the north?

This is the part where you say “the Irish language act” and kinda prove blanch’s point.

To be honest it’s preposterous to suggest that voting in the north isn’t done along the grounds of religion & national ideology

Why are they voting for SF so? What have they delivered for the voters in the north?

This is the part where you say “the Irish language act” and kinda prove blanch’s point.

To be honest it’s preposterous to suggest that voting in the north isn’t done along the grounds of religion & national ideology

Not a single poster has been able to point to a single SF achievement in the areas of health, education, social welfare, standards of living, environment, agriculture etc. that have improved the lot of the people of Northern Ireland.

And SF command a majority again and again along those lines. The people choose them over the SDLP.

I am not getting into achievement thing again. If you cannot see the many improvements in NI since the 60's then you have an eyesight problems., Not all of them SF's but they have played their part.
    And that is before we mention that currently they are the most popular political party in the south.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

And SF command a majority again and again along those lines. The people choose them over the SDLP.

I am not getting into achievement thing again. If you cannot see the many improvements in NI since the 60's then you have an eyesight problems., Not all of them SF's but they have played their part.
    And that is before we mention that currently they are the most popular political party in the south.

You haven't listed achievements and NI is a state that lives on handouts from Westminster with a GDP per capita that is much lower than the south.

SF have been in power in the North & that place is an economic backwater that the UK want out of and we probably cant afford to take on - so our only evidence of them in power has resulted in failure, pettiness & pointless grandstanding.

• Advertisement

You haven't listed achievements and NI is a state that lives on handouts from Westminster with a GDP per capita that is much lower than the south.

SF have been in power in the North & that place is an economic backwater that the UK want out of and we probably cant afford to take on - so our only evidence of them in power has resulted in failure, pettiness & pointless grandstanding.

Not sure how many times I have to say it - my opinion is that NI is a failed state because of partition. The very existence of the GFA is proof of that.

Sure you blame one party only for that, when it is basically a 5 party coalition with limited powers...because of partition.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement