Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or have SF vanished?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Not sure how many times I have to say it - my opinion is that NI is a failed state because of partition. The very existence of the GFA is proof of that.

Sure you blame one party only for that, when it is basically a 5 party coalition with limited powers...because of partition.

I’m not just blaming SF, definitely not but they are part of the problem there and I see nothing positive in terms of economic/job creation policies that they have brought to the table in NI

• Registered Users Posts: 27,942 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

And SF command a majority again and again along those lines. The people choose them over the SDLP.

I am not getting into achievement thing again. If you cannot see the many improvements in NI since the 60's then you have an eyesight problems., Not all of them SF's but they have played their part.
    And that is before we mention that currently they are the most popular political party in the south.

And we know why you are not getting into the achievement thing again.

As late as 1960, per capita income in the North was well ahead of the South, now it is far behind. That is the legacy of Sinn Fein's achievements.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,930 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    And we know why you are not getting into the achievement thing again.

As late as 1960, per capita income in the North was well ahead of the South, now it is far behind. That is the legacy of Sinn Fein's achievements.

You keep agreeing with me blanch.
    The statelet failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Mortelaro wrote: »
    What the author of that doesn't tell you though is that much of the interactions are all from the same people
    If you put up a 1000 posts and 8 of the same people 'love' each one of them, that's 8000 interactions
    Ergo it's far from the full story
    Its the same here, there are 5 or 600 average on line at times in the current affairs forum but most of them are in the coronovirus sub forum not in the current affairs forum
    The main forum captures the entire number
    Ditto in the SF centric threads here, if I come in here 10 times a day and don't post, it's counted as 10 separate views and I'm only one person
    Very very few people bother opening them because they're all the same, see one see all of those

As for twitter, only 29% of the population had an account last year and a lot of them are dormant
    Facebook is losing a lot of numbers especially young people, a third of them left last year

But that's being dismissive of it again, which is, as I said.
    It's a mistake to overlook this as not being effective, it's a big part of their upward trend I feel.
    Thunbergs are go is saying its easy to moan, and it is, but it's caught a lot of people's attention and if the moan message is delivered right it resonates in hard pressed peoples brains, especially when you add in politicians and ministers salaries and expenses and then show unflattering pics, how workers can't get or afford housing, queues in hospitals etc etc.
    A well oiled machine, the SF social media crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,942 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You keep agreeing with me blanch.
    The statelet failed.

That is not what I have said. We have a very different perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Not only is she defending the IRA campaign she's actually saying she probably would have joined the IRA if she have been born in the north

https://amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/mary-lou-mcdonald-comments-hammer-home-fine-gael-concerns-over-talks-1001631.html

Is that really the kind of person who people want as Taoiseach?

blanch152 wrote: »
    That is not what I have said. We have a very different perspective.

By what metric has NI not failed?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

aido79 wrote: »
    Not only is she defending the IRA campaign she's actually saying she probably would have joined the IRA if she have been born in the north

https://amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/mary-lou-mcdonald-comments-hammer-home-fine-gael-concerns-over-talks-1001631.html

People didn't mind Michael Collins who had plenty of bloods on his hands or Sean Lemass either.

Its a bit rich actually Neale Richmond taking the high moral ground on this one bearing in mind the fascist origins of his party who executed about 80 republican prisoners (their former comrades) including Erskine Childers for the possession of a pistol.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/heritage/erskine-childers-executed-over-possession-of-a-pistol-1.4036480

Oh, and don't forget Sean MacBride (son of Maud Gonne) who was Chief of Staff of the IRA in the 30s, later won the Nobel Peace Prize.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

jm08 wrote: »
    People didn't mind Michael Collins who had plenty of bloods on his hands or Sean Lemass either.

Its a bit rich actually Neale Richmond taking the high moral ground on this one bearing in mind the fascist origins of his party who executed about 80 republican prisoners (their former comrades) including Erskine Childers for the possession of a pistol.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/heritage/erskine-childers-executed-over-possession-of-a-pistol-1.4036480

Oh, and don't forget Sean MacBride (son of Maud Gonne) who was Chief of Staff of the IRA in the 30s, later won the Nobel Peace Prize.

Has Neale Redmond come out and said he approved of or condoned that?

Has he said he would have joined in (if he wasnt busy joining another political party, and it wasnt a Tuesday and....)

Has Neale Redmond come out and said he approved of or condoned that?

Has he said he would have joined in (if he wasnt busy joining another political party, and it wasnt a Tuesday and....)

Neale's leader, who is careful about his image and PR, has a nice big portrait of Collins in his office publicity shots.

Interesting question though...how many of our current Dáíl would have 'joined in' the fight for freedom?

• Advertisement

Neale's leader, who is careful about his image and PR, has a nice big portrait of Collins in his office publicity shots.

So that's a no

So that's a no

I don't know the answer as nobody has asked him.
    I presume he has no problem with fighting for your beliefs/goals though as he is an advocate of wearing the poppy. Maybe it's only right to fight for another country?

Now that's what I call digging deep to defend SF and their IRA connections/allegiances. Hats off to ya!

I don't know the answer as nobody has asked him.
    I presume he has no problem with fighting for your beliefs/goals though as he is an advocate of wearing the poppy. Maybe it's only right to fight for another country?

Do you think Mcdonald was correct in what she said?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Our current Taoiseach critisted the nuirses of this country for going on strike to try and get better conditions and a better health service (would which have save hundreds of lives), let Dr Tony away with lying about the cervical checks which resulted in many deaths. Plenty of blood on Leo's hands

Id prefer someone like Mary who has no blood on her hands to be my Taoiseach

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

She wouldnt have joined. She would have followed the example of her great leader and encouraged poor gullible young people to do so and end up dead or serving long sentences.
    But she would be available for funeral orations, she has a lovely turn of phrase

Our current Taoiseach critisted the nuirses of this country for going on strike to try and get better conditions and a better health service (would which have save hundreds of lives), let Dr Tony away with lying about the cervical checks which resulted in many deaths. Plenty of blood on Leo's hands

Id prefer someone like Mary who has no blood on her hands to be my Taoiseach

He criticised them for going on strike midweek rather than on a weekend where it would have caused less disruption. He didn't criticise them for actually going on strike.
    Can you show me where he knew about Tony Holohan lying about the cervical checks. This article says Holohan didn't flag it with Varadkar
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/extra.ie/2018/05/16/news/irish-news/tony-holohan-knew-of-cervical-check-memo/amp

All of this is a bit different from someone stating that they would have probably joined a terrorist organisation which murdered innocent people if they were born in the North.

Do you think Mcdonald was correct in what she said?

I didn't read it. Was did she say that was incorrect? That she believed 'the IRA was justified?'...have you discovered something that says she thinks otherwise?

Edgware wrote: »
    She wouldnt have joined. She would have followed the example of her great leader and encouraged poor gullible young people to do so and end up dead or serving long sentences.
    But she would be available for funeral orations, she has a lovely turn of phrase

I'll be very surprised if he doesn't have the gun salute and tricolour on the coffin at his funeral.
    She might not join but she'll defend their actions til her dying day.

He criticised them for going on strike midweek rather than on a weekend where it would have caused less disruption. He didn't criticise them for actually going on strike.
    Can you show me where he knew about Tony Holohan lying about the cervical checks. This article says Holohan didn't flag it with Varadkar
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/extra.ie/2018/05/16/news/irish-news/tony-holohan-knew-of-cervical-check-memo/amp

All of this is a bit different from someone stating that they would have probably joined a terrorist organisation which murdered innocent people if they were born in the North.

Why the **** would he listen to someone now who lied to his face over something so serious now?

I would have joined the IRA if my family had to go through some of the awful things Catholics had to put up with up North.

Are you surprised that a Republican would have joined the Republican army during the Civil War up North?

P.S Leo willingly lets Terrorists into Ireland to re-fuel their planes when going to oil wars when we are meant to be a neutral country.

• Advertisement

Edgware wrote: »

Mary beating Leo hands down in the election (Leo done all her work for her, having a go at Sinn Fein at every moment) must be getting to you.

Sinn Fein are now more popular in the Republic than Fine Gael and it ****ing kills ya

• Registered Users Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

LOL.

Could you imagine her waddling over to a British soldier in a pub in her sexiest frumpy frock with a G&T in one hand and a fag in the other trying to set a honey trap to lure him to his murder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I'll be very surprised if he doesn't have the gun salute and tricolour on the coffin at his funeral.
    She might not join but she'll defend their actions til her dying day.

Are you suggesting people in SF, some of whom are former IRA members, might be supporters of the IRA and it's actions? :eek:

Now that's what I call digging deep to defend SF and their IRA connections/allegiances. Hats off to ya!

No, its not defending Sinn Fein or the IRA. I have given Fine Gael/Fianna Fail as many votes as I have given Sinn Fein (not a lot), but anyone who actually knows anything about Fianna Fail or Fine Gael knows that it is a bit rich for either of those parties to point the finger at any other party if you know the origins of this State and the blood bath that those two factions caused, except in their case it was Irish men and Irish women who were getting killed where as with the conflict in the north, it was Irish versus the British.

Both Fianna Fail and Fine Gael have a lot of Irish blood on their hands.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    LOL.

Could you imagine her waddling over to a British soldier in a pub in her sexiest frumpy frock with a G&T in one hand and a fag in the other trying to set a honey trap to lure him to his murder.

Not surprising to see misogyny is alive and well in FG/FF supporters in Ireland.

Not surprising to see misogyny is alive and well in FG/FF supporters in Ireland.

Calm down there Nell McCafferty.

Just visualising a scenario the lovely Mary Lou might have found herself.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Calm down there Nell McCafferty.

Keep digging.

Just visualising a scenario the lovely Mary Lou might have found herself.

I'd say a 25 year old Mary Lou would have had lads like you panting after her. From 2004 (when in her 30s).

https://www.rte.ie/news/election-2020/2020/0209/1114282-mary-lou-mcdonald-profile/

It just oozes out of a few fellas on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Mary beating Leo hands down in the election (Leo done all her work for her, having a go at Sinn Fein at every moment) must be getting to you.

Sinn Fein are now more popular in the Republic than Fine Gael and it ****ing kills ya

Grab any little bit of hope to keep you going. She'll make a great leader of the opposition.
    Pity no one will pay any attention to her brainfart policies

• Advertisement

Keep digging.

I'd say a 25 year old Mary Lou would have had lads like you panting after her. From 2004 (when in her 30s).

https://www.rte.ie/news/election-2020/2020/0209/1114282-mary-lou-mcdonald-profile/

Maybe after twelve pints at 02.45 in Sachs hotel...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement