Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or have SF vanished?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

jm08 wrote: »
    Keep digging.

I'd say a 25 year old Mary Lou would have had lads like you panting after her. From 2004 (when in her 30s).

https://www.rte.ie/news/election-2020/2020/0209/1114282-mary-lou-mcdonald-profile/

Only if she was dishing up an extra portion of chips with the battered sausage in Marcos grill

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Why the **** would he listen to someone now who lied to his face over something so serious now?

I would have joined the IRA if my family had to go through some of the awful things Catholics had to put up with up North.

Are you surprised that a Republican would have joined the Republican army during the Civil War up North?

P.S Leo willingly lets Terrorists into Ireland to re-fuel their planes when going to oil wars when we are meant to be a neutral country.

Because he's the chief medical officer.

That's your choice but you'll probably never state that in a newspaper article.

What civil war up North?

The US army are a terrorist organisation?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

jm08 wrote: »
    No, its not defending Sinn Fein or the IRA. I have given Fine Gael/Fianna Fail as many votes as I have given Sinn Fein (not a lot), but anyone who actually knows anything about Fianna Fail or Fine Gael knows that it is a bit rich for either of those parties to point the finger at any other party if you know the origins of this State and the blood bath that those two factions caused, except in their case it was Irish men and Irish women who were getting killed where as with the conflict in the north, it was Irish versus the British.

Both Fianna Fail and Fine Gael have a lot of Irish blood on their hands.

Why does it always come back to this? People in this country really need to learn to separate history from politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭maccored

aido79 wrote: »
    Why does it always come back to this? People in this country really need to learn to separate history from politics.

you could have a point there - sf have developed through conflict and into politics which is now history - but its brought up quite a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Excellent article here from Colm Keena about being wary of populist politics, especially of parties who have abusive online support bases. He is of course talking about SF, and how some of their online army gang up on anything ‘establishment’ on Twitter and Facebook. Populism is dangerous, especially when it’s being preached by a party with a paramilitary wing in the recent past. Beware of snakes in the long grass.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/populist-politics-in-all-but-name-is-alive-and-well-in-ireland-1.4265927?mode=amp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭da_miser

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/rise-in-pension-age-back-on-cards-due-to-cost-of-covid-19-39248786.html
    Talk of raising the retirement age, if they do , SF will win in a landslide next election, no doubt about that

• Registered Users Posts: 27,942 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Excellent article here from Colm Keena about being wary of populist politics, especially of parties who have abusive online support bases. He is of course talking about SF, and how some of their online army gang up on anything ‘establishment’ on Twitter and Facebook. Populism is dangerous, especially when it’s being preached by a party with a paramilitary wing in the recent past. Beware of snakes in the long grass.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/populist-politics-in-all-but-name-is-alive-and-well-in-ireland-1.4265927?mode=amp

In before the standard “you are a West Brit partitionist with no proof” insult.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,930 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    In before the standard “you are a West Brit partitionist with no proof” insult.

What about the 'Shinner Ra scum' one that's a pretty common one.

'Partitionist' isn't an insult, it is a political position held by a few people in Ireland where they obstruct and place obstacles in the way of a unified island. Like calling for the percentage of a majority to be raised or dismissing any talk of a UI because of money.
    They need to own that descriptor because any political movement that forms in the south to oppose partition is going to be called that...'partitionist'. For the same reason the putative next government intends to called it's United Ireland body the 'Unity Unit'.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Very good article, the abuse culture on Facebook and Twitter is appalling

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Very obvious which party he is referring to.

Why is that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Very obvious which party he is referring to.

Why is that?

The Irish Times has been pretty biased. You may recall their front pages during the election. One day they'd four top stories they related to SF or the IRA in some form. SF didn't have the largest online presence during the election so might not be SF in this instance. But it's an opinion piece so anything goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Bowie wrote: »
    The Irish Times has been pretty biased. You may recall their front pages during the election. One day they'd four top stories they related to SF or the IRA in some form. SF didn't have the largest online presence during the election so might not be SF in this instance. But it's an opinion piece so anything goes.
    They're all against the Shinners. They'll have to bring back their own weekly Beano

Edgware wrote: »
    They're all against the Shinners. They'll have to bring back their own weekly Beano

I don't think they are. It's more about keeping the status quo and SF are the biggest threat and easiest target. It does nothing for democracy to be so false. If it were PBP we'd have reds under the bed articles no doubt.

I don't think they are. It's more about keeping the status quo and SF are the biggest threat and easiest target. It does nothing for democracy to be so false. If it were PBP we'd have reds under the bed articles no doubt.

Whoever the party in question is, its pretty much not acceptable.

Hopefully, if true and I have zero reason to doubt ir, some action is taken on it

Social media is a real cesspit

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Whoever the party in question is, its pretty much not acceptable.

Hopefully, if true and I have zero reason to doubt ir, some action is taken on it

Social media is a real cesspit

It's an opinion piece. It's likely based on musings from the author.
    Social Media is a great tool. Anyone can post an opinion and anyone can read it. Like society, we've all stripes. I've been able to contact and discuss issues with people I'd likely have never crossed paths with otherwise.
    The danger is when people start believing everything they read. Not sure how different some posts are from some opinion pieces in the paper.

It's an opinion piece. It's likely based on musings from the author.
    Social Media is a great tool. Anyone can post an opinion and anyone can read it. Like society, we've all stripes. I've been able to contact and discuss issues with people I'd likely have never crossed paths with otherwise.
    The danger is when people start believing everything they read. Not sure how different some posts are from some opinion pieces in the paper.

No doubt the above happened, opinion piece or not

Ah it has its good points the "no consequences" element is a bit much though, and the personal abuse given is ridiculous to what are people who have family's etc.

Agree that is the danger, but it's happening more and more that social media is THE news source for people.

McMurphy wrote: »

Well that was a whole lot of whataboutery.

I enjoyed when he referenced the "British Tory Times" and then used the Pound symbol to denote our currency.

Is it SF in the article?

No doubt the above happened, opinion piece or not

Ah it has its good points the "no consequences" element is a bit much though, and the personal abuse given is ridiculous to what are people who have family's etc.

Agree that is the danger, but it's happening more and more that social media is THE news source for people.

Does personal abuse happen? Yep. Such is life.
    I know. It's very scary. Like everything else those with the most money have the most pull except in the 'established' media not everyone gets a say.
    SF didn't spend the most on social media but did very well despite that, so some people aren't easily swayed and will believe what they believe, which can be a good and bad thing depending on your views.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I enjoyed when he referenced the "British Tory Times" and then used the Pound symbol to denote our currency.

Is it SF in the article?

You understand the definition of whataboutery yeah?

• Advertisement

McMurphy wrote: »

I got as far as the "British Tory Times" before stopping, as I have said many times, in before the "you are just a West Brit partitionist" insult pops along.

You timed that well.

Pretty pathetic that you link a name-calling idiot in response.

Yeah, the Irish Times is biased, the Irish Independent is biased, the Daily Mail is biased, the Sindo is worst, only An Phravda prints the news as it should be.

We know the mantra well.

Is it SF in the article?

Had to laugh when I read this and went back and checked. You are right!!! The "journalist" decrying what he sees as pro-British sentiment uses the £ sign instead of the € sign. So funny.

And then he prints the usual lie about "Sinn Fein and its members take the national wage salary of around £35,000 a year and the rest goes back to the party funding", omitting the following facts:

(1) It was never the case that any of them took the gross salary, like others on the industrial average, instead they took 35k net.
    (2) It never applied to good republicans like Dessie Ellis and Aengus O'Snodaigh.
    (3) It doesn't apply now

Does personal abuse happen? Yep. Such is life.
    I know. It's very scary. Like everything else those with the most money have the most pull except in the 'established' media not everyone gets a say.
    SF didn't spend the most on social media but did very well despite that, so some people aren't easily swayed and will believe what they believe, which can be a good and bad thing depending on your views.

Yes, indeed, personal abuse does happen.

Not so long ago, some fella thought it would be a bit of a laugh to take the Taoiseach's partner's name as his username, and not only did he indulge in the low-level homophobia of doing so, he ignored the potential personal harm he was doing to the Taoiseach's partner, in abusing his name like that. Not a care in the world for anyone else, just getting his jollies off at picking a username to personally abuse someone else.

That is the sort of low-level personal abuse that Sinn Fein supporters engage in on social media all of the time, before they move it up a few notches.

Yeah, the Irish Times is biased, the Irish Independent is biased, the Daily Mail is biased, the Sindo is worst, only An Phravda prints the news as it should be.

We know the mantra well.

The writer of the intro to MLMD's interview in the Indo admitted that the Indo was biased.
    And btw...'opinion' isn't news no matter what a few hacks too lazy to go out and investigate what is going on around might tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

da_miser wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/rise-in-pension-age-back-on-cards-due-to-cost-of-covid-19-39248786.html
    Talk of raising the retirement age, if they do , SF will win in a landslide next election, no doubt about that

And SF will promise you round the clock bin men, etc.

https://youtu.be/ZRBH5vHhm4c
    Homer Simpson does a Mary Lou

Not so long ago, some fella thought it would be a bit of a laugh to take the Taoiseach's partner's name as his username, and not only did he indulge in the low-level homophobia of doing so, he ignored the potential personal harm he was doing to the Taoiseach's partner, in abusing his name like that. Not a care in the world for anyone else, just getting his jollies off at picking a username to personally abuse someone else.

That is the sort of low-level personal abuse that Sinn Fein supporters engage in on social media all of the time, before they move it up a few notches.

Taking somebody's name is 'low level homophobia'? :):) Aw now blanch...too much sun today? :)

The writer of the intro to MLMD's interview in the Indo admitted that the Indo was biased.
    And btw...'opinion' isn't news no matter what a few hacks too lazy to go out and investigate what is going on around might tell you.

Never read the article on MLMD because it was behind a paywall, but you have.

Ironic that someone who claims the Indo is biased is spending money on it.

Or do you have access to it some other way?

Taking somebody's name is 'low level homophobia'? :):) Aw now blanch...too much sun today? :)

I have consistently given the same opinion on that choice of username. It is an opinion that I sincerely hold, and I stand over it.

• Advertisement

You must stop using Varadkar's sexuality to score points. It's not civil and quite frankly pretty homophobic using it like that. I don't know why you persist in this lack of respect towards Varadkar and the gay community to try get one over or what ever. It's certainly shoehorned into this discussion. Shameful.

We were having a discussion about social media and here you are using Varadkar's sexuality for a 'win'.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement