Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or have SF vanished?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

I think the left will look out for the people (or try their best anyway).

I feel like they will at least try sort out the
    -Homeless Crisis
    -Shambles of a Health System

Change from what we have had for the past 100 years, because its not working

So you think nothing has improved in Ireland since 1920?

Edgware wrote: »
    Let us know when you wake up

Why do I need to wake up?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Worse up north boss

Ah well thats ok. Continue on as we are

Why are we comparing ourselves to others to make us look better?

Fact is under FG the Homeless and Housing Crisis has got to the worst its ever been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Ah well thats ok. Continue on as we are

Why are we comparing ourselves to others to make us look better?

Fact is under FG the Homeless and Housing Crisis has got to the worst its ever been.

According to Simon,double the amount of homeless children in the north versus the south and we are 3 times their population, making the North 6 times worse :eek:
    Why compare? Because housing is a devolved power in the north

According to Simon,double the amount of homeless children in the north versus the south and we are 3 times their population, making the North 6 times worse :eek:

Loads of things up North better than down here
    Healthcare
    Education (all levels)

Will we compare everything and see whos better?

Since 2011, FG have failed thats why they went from the Number 1 Party to Number 3 in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

aido79 wrote: »
    Why do I need to wake up?

You must be dreaming if you think McDonald will risk running a second candidate that hits her No 1s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

Healthcare
    Education (all levels)

Since 2011, FG have failed thats why they went from the Number 1 Party to Number 3 in Ireland.

What are you basing education on all levels on?

Healthcare
    Education (all levels)

You mentioned homelessness
    Despite being a third the population,Twice as many homeless children up north according to Simon as down south,how is that an advertisement for SF reign?
    I know its a coalition but still, if they cant sort it up north,how can you say they'll do such a good job down here?

As for the health service up north ,I'll just leave THIS here

You must be dreaming if you think McDonald will risk running a second candidate that hits her No 1s

I don't think there's a hope in hell of her doing it. Sinn Fein supporters think it's just a matter of them running more candidates next time just because some of their candidates including Mary Lou McDonald had big surpluses last time.

I don't think there's a hope in hell of her doing it. Sinn Fein supporters think it's just a matter of them running more candidates next time just because some of their candidates including Mary Lou McDonald had big surpluses last time.

FG supporters think that people cant see what the party has done before election (give out about SF) They got worst result in years yet they still continue to do so

• Advertisement

Exactly. Would O Laoire in Cork S.C. risk a second candidate up against Martin Coveney and McGrath?
    Give O Broin his due. Himself and Ward did it and both got it but that wouldnt happen too many places

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Exactly. Would O Laoire in Cork S.C. risk a second candidate up against Martin Coveney and McGrath?
    Give O Broin his due. Himself and Ward did it and both got it but that wouldnt happen too many places

Trying to get two quotas in some constituencies is a dark art. Even Frank Flannery struggled with it at times, and he was a master in dividing up a constituency to maximise the number of FG seats. You need the hop of the ball on the day as well.

They'd have a lot of work to do to get the other 8000 or so votes needed for a second seat in Cork south central too.
    I honestly think Sinn Fein have maxed out on the number of seats they will ever get and have blown their chance of forming a government but time will tell I suppose.

They'd have a lot of work to do to get the other 8000 or so votes needed for a second seat in Cork south central too.
    I honestly think Sinn Fein have maxed out on the number of seats they will ever get and have blown their chance of forming a government but time will tell I suppose.

I do think that if FG or the Greens pull the plug FF will tell Martin to deal with SF or get off the stage. There's five or six Shinners that would be as good Ministers as there is in the other parties. Any coalition is all about compromise and acceptance. FF would realise that the SF Dublin wing would have to keep the North on side with a bit of the "Up the Ra" stuff and likewise SF know that they would have to give concessions to FF.
    As both parties did a lot of the GFA negotiations they know how to play the game

FG supporters think that people cant see what the party has done before election (give out about SF) They got worst result in years yet they still continue to do so

This is the Sinn Féin thread
    What do you expect to be brought up on it only analysis of Sinn Féin :confused:

Your biggest disappointment going forward might arise out of thinking the majority of the Irish electorate is left wing
    It isn't
    Just as it isn't right wing
    Its centre
    Various players right and left of that centre tug it there
    SF will eventually be in government in the Republic if they want to
    Not with my help though as long as they want rid of the Special criminal court or want to harm Foreign direct investment here or dilute people's incentives to work hard for reward

What do you expect to be brought up on it only analysis of Sinn Féin :confused:

Your biggest disappointment going forward might arise out of thinking the majority of the Irish electorate is left wing
    It isn't
    Just as it isn't right wing
    Its centre
    Various players right and left of that centre tug it there
    SF will eventually be in government in the Republic if they want to
    Not with my help though as long as they want rid of the Special criminal court or want to harm Foreign direct investment here or dilute people's incentives to work hard for reward

Thats what FG have done to every young person in the country

Thats what FG have done to every young person in the country

Now that is nonsense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Don't you know Northern Ireland is overseas? :rolleyes:

Why hasn't FG solved the issues up north? FYI: because it's a different jurisdiction and the government is a power sharing one beholden to westminister and neither FG/SF/FF/SD/PBP etc. have any say. The other branch of SF has some say, maybe post up their policies you blame for what goes on outside of this jurisdiction? Would it not be easier to criticise SF on SF?

Bowie wrote: »

Why hasn't FG solved the issues up north? FYI: because it's a different jurisdiction and the government is a power sharing one beholden to westminister and neither FG/SF/FF/SD/PBP etc. have any say. The other branch of SF has some say, maybe post up their policies you blame for what goes on outside of this jurisdiction? Would it not be easier to criticise SF on SF?

SF have no say in Northern Ireland now,I see...

Pull the other one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

SF have no say in Northern Ireland now,I see...

Pull the other one

It's the tories you know, the British ones up there, the Irish ones down here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I see this thread hasn't gone anywhere, bar same old FFG fanboys on here attacking SF infinitum.

John McGuinness on Virgin Media tonight is saying there should be a National government. He's also saying bar the possibility of a National Government that FG are basically acting the bollocks and will pull out on this negotiations at the end.

Let them pull out and instead FF do a deal with SF and The Greens (as Micheal Martin mooted when the results were initially coming out after the election but he then changed tack when SF turned out to be only 1 seat behind FF).

I know McGuinness is a bit of a maverick but I don't think he's wrong about FG's bona fides on this government formation effort.

If FG want out, let them get to fúck out of the way and let FF and SF and others take over.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,655 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

TheCitizen wrote: »

If FG want out, let them get to fúck out of the way and let FF and SF and others take over.

There is absolutely nothing FG is doing to stop FF talking to SF, nothing, nada, zero...

FF can talk to SF now if they want to. In fact, there is nothing FG can do to stop the other 135 non-FG TD's from forming whatever government they wish.

The way some people go on, its as if FG is acting in some nefarious authoritarianism fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

The SF housing proposal has merit I think.
    Its a pretty detailed plan and realistic pricing involved this time.
    This, will put pressure on the others to come up with something to rival it.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/sinn-fein-draft-plans-for-affordable-housing-scheme-1002267.html

• Registered Users Posts: 27,942 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Bowie wrote: »

I think it is a very instructive point, it gives us a chance to assess how Sinn Fein might perform if given the chance to be in government.

The abysmal performance of Sinn Fein in government in Northern Ireland should serve as a wake-up call to voters down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

MLD getting a lot of stick online from pro-choice groups and SF getting some praise from the DUP of all people. Will be interesting to see how she deals with it. Not so much of an all Ireland party yesterday.

It's the tories you know, the British ones up there, the Irish ones down here.

Perhaps they should make Eoin o Broin housing minister in northern Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 14,655 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/sinn-fein-draft-plans-for-affordable-housing-scheme-1002267.html

Very pie in the sky, they are basically saying if you have free land, no middle management, no finance costs and developers work for free, then you can have these cheap houses.

I can see all the developers queueing up already. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭IAmTheReign

Where are the details of the plan available? There's no link on the article and I couldn't find anything on the SF website. I'd like to see mrore details.

From what little is in the article a couple of things stands out though. Who decided 230,000 is affordable? Someone earning 45,00 certainly can't get a mortgage for a 230,000. According to the Central banks 3.5 LTI rule someone earning 45,000 can only get a mortgage for 157,500 so who would provide mortgage finance? I assume SF would propose the government lend people the money? If so that raises questions about what happens in the event of non repayment as currently happens with government housing schemes.

Secondly, seems these would be leasehold purchases as opposed to freehold, and properties cannot be sold for a profit.
    No land will be sold or transferred out of public ownership for the purpose of delivering these homes, and if an owner wishes to sell their house in years to come, they will have to sell back to within the affordable housing scheme, adjusted for inflation.

Sounds great but how would this work in practice? Would these be sold back to the scheme who them resell to someone on the list? Or can the property owner resell to whoever they want as long as they are able to avail of the scheme? Since historically property prices rise on average far faster than inflation the second option would be open to rampant abuse. On the other hand if you have to sell back to the housing scheme do they guarantee you the price you paid plus inflation when you decide to sell? How do you factor in depreciation to the property over that time into the purchase price, or how do you factor in improvements made during the lifetime of the property?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭maccored

blanch152 wrote: »
    I think it is a very instructive point, it gives us a chance to assess how Sinn Fein might perform if given the chance to be in government.

The abysmal performance of Sinn Fein in government in Northern Ireland should serve as a wake-up call to voters down here.

how can you compare the multifaceted nationalist/unionist/neither/british government set up in the north to a normal government?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,942 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

maccored wrote: »
    how can you compare the multifaceted nationalist/unionist/neither/british government set up in the north to a normal government?

Well, you can't have it both ways.

You and others have told us many times that it is wrong that FF and FG rule out Sinn Fein for government because they are in government in the North, but then say we cannot measure their performance up there.

For me, it is quite legitimate to say that SF are not fit for government down here, both because there is only a limited form of government up North, and that within that limited form, they have performed abysmally (e.g. on homelessness).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement