Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or have SF vanished?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

P.S Nobody wants to go into Govt with FG either, How many days have they been trying now?

LoL

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Mortelaro wrote: »
    LoL

So tell me who wants to go into Govt with FG?

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭O'Neill

I wouldn't have minded an FF SF coalition tbh
    It would be a modified SF
    The SCC would certainly stay
    Spending would be within EU limits
    The protester would be protested against, all part of democratic life

SF do need that spell in government
    It will be the pinnacle of mainstream achievement for them and an eye opener for their core vote

You do realise that SF are in power with the DUP in the North don't you? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,927 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I wouldn't have minded an FF SF coalition tbh
    It would be a modified SF
    The SCC would certainly stay
    Spending would be within EU limits
    The protester would be protested against, all part of democratic life

SF do need that spell in government
    It will be the pinnacle of mainstream achievement for them and an eye opener for their core vote

I'm sure FF cozying up to FG after promising not to is an eyeopener for their core vote too.

Core votes have a tendency to remain no matter what happens, so I wouldn't be keeping awake worrying about them.

What FG and FF need to worry about is and are worrying about (hence the real reason for not letting SF into the picture) is the middle ground votes, that no longer are assured for any party. They are losing them hand over fist. 84% share down to 44% share.

I'm sure FF cozying up to FG after promising not to is an eyeopener for their core vote too.
    Nope
    Away from SF spin hq,most FG and FF voters would have known what that was all about
    Only an eejit would have said prior to the vote that a marriage was possible because one wanted to be stronger than the other
    That's the reality
    What FG and FF need to worry about is and are worrying about (hence the real reason for not letting SF into the picture) is the middle ground votes, that no longer are assured for any party. They are losing them hand over fist. 84% share down to 44% share.
    A lot of them went mostly not to the left but to independents if we are counting the last 20 years
    Ergo not much use to SF when its gene pool independents
    A protest vote is not a stable vote yo depend on either especially if this new government are clever
    That might be SF's fear here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

It's not a PR exercise, it's just a proposal for what they would do IF they get into government, while making no real attempt to enter government, that was meant for the CC/LAs but ended up in the press, that's sounds great in the media but they decide against publishing it...

It might not be a PR exercise but if it walks like a duck and all that. Regardless, the poster who brought it up said the plan had merit. I don't think it's unreasonable to want to see the plan before deciding to see if the plan has merit or not. The devils in the details as they say.

But you just dismiss it because SF have produced it even though you don't know the detail.

Did you read the article? Here's the relevant section for you again

I didn't pick the number of 45,000 out of the air, it clearly states households earning 45,000 per annum would be able to purchase. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask how they would be able to finance the purchase. A proper plan would account for these things, which is why I wanted to see it.

I just did a quick calculation using Permanent TSB calculator.

Age 30.
    Salary 40K
    Single
    30 year repayment.

Based on that, someone could borrow 200K and need to have saved 22K to get loan.

Monthly repayments would be 831.11 per month. 4K cash drawback on uptake of loan.

That to me is affordable. Just need to saved a bit more.

Your understanding would be incorrect. The article posted said specifically that prices would be adjusted for inflation, not for increases in value. Compare inflation versus increases in property value over the last 50 years and you'll see the two are wildly different. Now maybe the article got it wrong, and the proposal does allow people to sell properties for a profit. But without seeing it we don't know do we?

Its a not-for-profit scheme. If you want to make a profit, stick to the private sector housing and don't be looking for handouts from the State.

By the way, it states that: ''affordable homes for €230,000 or less would be available to purchase in Dublin, and other major urban areas for households whose gross incomes are between €45,000 and €75,000 per annum with a cut-off point of €50,000 for a single person.''

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

O'Neill wrote: »
    You do realise that SF are in power with the DUP in the North don't you? :rolleyes:
    Is that the glorified county council made up of 3 DUP 2 SF 1ALLIANCE AND 1 SDLP Ministers ?

Nope
    Away from SF spin hq,most FG and FF voters would have known what that was all about
    Only an eejit would have said prior to the vote that a marriage was possible because one wanted to be stronger than the other
    That's the reality

Plenty of eejits here then who think the high moral ground grandstanding about SF was any thing different. Cynical vote grabbing, power swap maintaining verbiage.

A lot of them went mostly not to the left but to independents if we are counting the last 20 years
    Ergo not much use to SF when its gene pool independents
    A protest vote is not a stable vote yo depend on either especially if this new government are clever
    That might be SF's fear here
    I doubt SF are in 'fear'.
    If FG and FF manage this, it is one of the after election scenarios that suit SF if they are not going into government.

I fancy FG have learnt very little from the election as they sent O'Donovan out to debate with Pearse Doherty this AM...if they do that much more, the Shinners will romp home in any election. What an arrogant little dictator we have in waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,782 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

FG say they want a Govt formed for the good of Ireland. What they really mean is they want a Govt formed for 75% of Ireland, **** the other 25%

P.S Nobody wants to go into Govt with FG either, How many days have they been trying now?

I think that is projection. There are far more important things going on at the moment that the caretaker government has to deal with. And is dealing with well in comparison to many other countries.

Plus as you know 75% is greater than 25% plus the real problem is SF cannot shake thier past which has lead to this impasse at the moment. If SF cleaned up thier past and were most honest and upfront about the rule of law. People like me would have had no problem voting for them.
    But as it stands 484,320 (FF) + 455,584 (FG)+ 95,588 (LAB) (total 1,035,492) voted for parties that said they would NOT go into government with SF.

That is how democracy works that is a mandate. If SF found enough of pals to form a government in the dail. I would have to accept it.
    Much like Dundalk had to accept the loss of Richie Towell. You have to accept the way the system works, and move on.

Eventually it will likely be a government of FF/FG/Greens and a few independents. SF will do what they do best from the opposition saying what the government should have done. It might even suit them in the longer term!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,940 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

O'Neill wrote: »

Are they? I think this is the official line now...

maccored wrote: »
    how can you compare the multifaceted nationalist/unionist/neither/british government set up in the north to a normal government?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭christy c

I fancy FG have learnt very little from the election as they sent O'Donovan out to debate with Pearse Doherty this AM...if they do that much more, the Shinners will romp home in any election.

The image of Pearse with his ioiotic "your pension at 65" sign and his other stupid ideas will ensure the Shinners will not be romping home.

Plenty of eejits here then who think the high moral ground grandstanding about SF was any thing different. Cynical vote grabbing, power swap maintaining verbiage.
    Why are you paying much stead to posters here? They're only about as representative as you are of society as a whole,a small piece

I doubt SF are in 'fear'.
    If FG and FF manage this, it is one of the after election scenarios that suit SF if they are not going into government.
    Fear was the wrong word
    'Least prefer' would be more apt
    I fancy FG have learnt very little from the election as they sent O'Donovan out to debate with Pearse Doherty this AM...if they do that much more, the Shinners will romp home in any election. What an arrogant little dictator we have in waiting.
    That's your point of view in your bubble
    Meanwhile in my bubble, I see Doherty angry all the time
    All well and good to harvest a protest vote
    Not so good heading into a 5 year opposition where the government if it has any sense is on mission to reduce protest and increase satisfaction

Not so good heading into a 5 year opposition where the government if it has any sense is on mission to reduce protest and increase satisfaction

We heard all that before in 2011 etc etc.

And you tell me I am in a bubble. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

This is the Sinn Féin thread
    SF have no say in Northern Ireland now,I see...

Pull the other one

You didn't read it correctly.
    I said SF have some say. So you'll note your error.
    I see you'd no response so decided to be flippant. Fair enough.
    As I also said, be genuine and honest and criticise SF on their policies north or south if you like. Don't make up stuff. I'm sure there's plenty of policies up north they backed or tried. Criticise that not ones you imagineer.

I see MLM speaking up for Asylum seekers and Travelers. SF's supporters, who I'm told are racist, won't like that :rolleyes:

christy c wrote: »
    The image of Pearse with his ioiotic "your pension at 65" sign and his other stupid ideas will ensure the Shinners will not be romping home.

Majority of people who dislike Sinn Fein would always say Pearse is a top TD.

Assume you didnt listen to Radio 1 this morning, of course not.

How in the name of God did FG think it was ok to send that character out to debate with Pearse.

Majority of people who dislike Sinn Fein would always say Pearse is a top TD.

Assume you didnt listen to Radio 1 this morning, of course not.

How in the name of God did FG think it was ok to send that character out to debate with Pearse.

Majority would say he is a top TD? Doubt it but I'd be happy to read the support to that statement.

I listened back after seeing it here, o'donovan did ok but did revert back to the tired "the north are only getting £100 per week". Whereas Pearse was up to his usual spend spend spend antics. Maybe he's right this time but a broken clock is right twice a day.

Thought it was funny when asked where he would get the money from he said something like "you never ask the government that", poor Pearse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Doherty is a well meaning sort, but he wouldn’t be the sharpest knife in the block. Seems to mistake bluster and fake outrage for political insight.

Another 4.1 billion to extend the Covid payment to the end of the year. Where’s the money going to come from?

Majority would say he is a top TD? Doubt it but I'd be happy to read the support to that statement.

Would the size of his vote not suggest he is a top TD?

Would the size of his vote not suggest he is a top TD?

That wasn't the statement I responded to

Doherty is a well meaning sort, but he wouldn’t be the sharpest knife in the block. Seems to mistake bluster and fake outrage for political insight.

Another 4.1 billion to extend the Covid payment to the end of the year. Where’s the money going to come from?

Same place the initial payments came from, the money for private beds, the money to support business and the money to pay TD salaries I'd imagine.
    It's funny how this question only really comes up when it's something for the general public. I don't think 'we all partied' or 'we all went mad' will fly this time around either.
    I await the creation of a post-covid quango with great interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Bowie wrote: »
    Same place the initial payments came from, the money for private beds, the money to support business and the money to pay TD salaries I'd imagine.
    It's funny how this question only really comes up when it's something for the general public.

From borrowing so.

I listened back after seeing it here, o'donovan did ok but did revert back to the tired "the north are only getting £100 per week". Whereas Pearse was up to his usual spend spend spend antics. Maybe he's right this time but a broken clock is right twice a day.

Thought it was funny when asked where he would get the money from he said something like "you never ask the government that", poor Pearse.

Then he went onto answer it.

Did you listen to Leo in the Dail today, never answered 1 question, sweep sweep sweep

Then he went onto answer it.

Did you listen to Leo in the Dail today, never answered 1 question, sweep sweep sweep

In fairness Pearse did say they would borrow it, but I found his initial response funny.

Didnt listen to Leo but wouldnt be surprised if that's what he did. Think he's a bit of a spoofer but not near Pearse's level.

We heard all that before in 2011 etc etc.

And you tell me I am in a bubble. :)

You're not seriously comparing Ireland broke ,ImF in charge with Ireland today
    If you are,I AM starting to think you're worried

In fairness Pearse did say they would borrow it, but I found his initial response funny.

Didnt listen to Leo but wouldnt be surprised if that's what he did. Think he's a bit of a spoofer but not near Pearse's level.

Leo's first reposnse to Mary Lou today was about the people in North only getting 100pound payment

What a leader, He has no answers so throws the same thing out every time

• Registered Users Posts: 27,940 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Denis O'Brien and the rich?

Leo's first reposnse to Mary Lou today was about the people in North only getting 100pound payment

Were you not in the FG thread talking about SF being mentioned? Yet here you are bringing up Leo. Dont see a leader telling us that the demographics will look after themselves being much of an improvement over Leo though.

Any back up to your statement that the majority of people who dislike SF saying Pearse is a top TD? Or why you incorrectly assumed I had not listened to the piece on Radio 1?

blanch152 wrote: »
    Denis O'Brien and the rich?

In fairness Pearse did say they would borrow it. But a SF style spin on that would be something like "passing debts to our children and grandchildren to fund our current costs".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Leo's mistake is thinking that people in the South gives a ****e about what the loolahs in the
    North gets.

• Advertisement

In fairness Pearse did say they would borrow it. But a SF style spin on that would be something like "passing debts to our children and grandchildren to fund our current costs".

I would hope any monies borrowed will go towards society as a whole that need it and any hardship towards repayments are metered out evenly and fairly this time.
    Despite the differences between the financial crash and Covid number 19, we will likely see the same aftermath, but hopefully a fairer fix. Another reason why I'd be inclined to go with SD/SF/PBP etc.
    I expect a shiny new quango in the coming months, should we have the same crew.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement