Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or have SF vanished?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭christy c

Bowie wrote: »
    Another reason why I'd be inclined to go with SD/SF/PBP etc.

You only have to look through the nonsense proposed by these parties over the years to see why many will avoid them like the plague. Some of their ideas make spending 4 billion on a hospital seem like Einstein levels of intelligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Edgware wrote: »
    Leo's mistake is thinking that people in the South gives a ****e about what the loolahs in the
    North gets.

The point he is making is that SF are great at calling for all sorts of sweeties down south, but up north they show their true colours. Abdicated all responsibility for welfare cuts to the UK government as their support base has a core element dependent on that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

christy c wrote: »
    Were you not in the FG thread talking about SF being mentioned? Yet here you are bringing up Leo. Dont see a leader telling us that the demographics will look after themselves being much of an improvement over Leo though.

Any back up to your statement that the majority of people who dislike SF saying Pearse is a top TD? Or why you incorrectly assumed I had not listened to the piece on Radio 1?

That is your response to Leo just having a go at SF with the same thing over and over again. (something the whole country is aware of now has nothing to do with SF)

Well you picked parts of Pearse's response up which you found funny, but to try and make it look like he had no answer you didn't say he actually answered the question.

The majority of people I know who would never vote SF, always say Pearse seems like a top TD. Do you want a list of names and numbers?

2 weeks ago it was laugh at SF, because we FG are going into GOVT, now is sweaky bum time and its oh lets have a go at everything SF (because it worked so well pre-election)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

You only have to look through the nonsense proposed by these parties over the years to see why many will avoid them like the plague. Some of their ideas make spending 4 billion on a hospital seem like Einstein levels of intelligence.

Yet they didn't avoid them like the plague in the election.
    The mask is off the FF/FG parties. They are less and less being seen as the best of a bad lot or in the least sound when it comes to financials. They talk a good talk, (except Varadkar and Harris) but the national crises, gaffes, bad deals and overspends say otherwise IMO.
    People want a government that will look out for them first, that's not FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,940 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Leo's first reposnse to Mary Lou today was about the people in North only getting 100pound payment

What a leader, He has no answers so throws the same thing out every time

I think it is important from his perspective to highlight how well we treat our people compared to the government (or lack of) in the North.

It must be remembered that Sinn Fein led the charge to hand responsibility for social welfare in the North back to Westminister.

• Advertisement

That is your response to Leo just having a go at SF with the same thing over and over again. (something the whole country is aware of now has nothing to do with SF)

Well you picked parts of Pearse's response up which you found funny, but to try and make it look like he had no answer you didn't say he actually answered the question.

The majority of people I know who would never vote SF, always say Pearse seems like a top TD. Do you want a list of names and numbers?

2 weeks ago it was laugh at SF, because we FG are going into GOVT, now is sweaky bum time and its oh lets have a go at everything SF (because it worked so well pre-election)

As I said I think Leo is a spoofer, just not on Pearse's level.

I didnt try to misrepresent Doherty, I posted the bit I found funny because he was playing the poor me/SF card.

So by a majority of people you mean a few people you know, that's fine. You should have said that first.

I post occasionally when I want to, this isn't some planned thing based on who is or isn't going in to government. I have and will continue to highlight stupid policies by SF whenever I please.

Yet they didn't avoid them like the plague in the election.
    The mask is off the FF/FG parties. They are less and less being seen as the best of a bad lot or in the least sound when it comes to financials. They talk a good talk, (except Varadkar and Harris) but the national crises, gaffes, bad deals and overspends say otherwise IMO.
    People want a government that will look out for them first, that's not FG.

I said many will avoid them like the plague, and that is what happened in the election too. Just less than previous times.

Yes people are getting sick of FG, myself included. And they do want a government that will look out for them, but they also want a government that has some grounding in reality. And that is not SF at the moment anyway.

blanch152 wrote: »
    I think it is important from his perspective to highlight how well we treat our people compared to the government (or lack of) in the North.

It must be remembered that Sinn Fein led the charge to hand responsibility for social welfare in the North back to Westminister.

Read up on it there: Lo and behold not as you spun it.
    Seems there was an impasse and SF were worried it could result in the failure of devolution. Not sure they led the charge in so much as both SF and the DUP agreed it was the best option.

Getting back to your first line, how does this kind of decision in a completely different form of devolved government, in another jurisdiction, with different parties and politicians, 'overseas' as per Varadkar, play into what SF might do in office in the south? Do you think they'll ask Westminister to take over welfare in the south?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-34853112

I said many will avoid them like the plague, and that is what happened in the election too. Just less than previous times.

Yes people are getting sick of FG, myself included. And they do want a government that will look out for them, but they also want a government that has some grounding in reality. And that is not SF at the moment anyway.

I don't think SF have the experience or maybe expertise but that doesn't stop FG, so on that note I'm 50/50, but you certainly have a point.
    For me SF may indeed make a balls of it but I'd rather a government failed trying to do the right thing than succeeded doing the wrong.
    We only need look at the last several years. Despite worsening crises the same path s are followed. To me this means policy wise we'll see more of the same in the future, so that's FG out for me. Overseeing record breaking crises while talking up their abilities to govern.
    If SF build less social and affordable than they planned at least it's moves in the right direction on that issue.
    If the country becomes bankrupt trying to supply housing, health education etc. it will be a welcome change from the other recessions we weather IMO. There will be another crash for certain if we follow FF/FG. It's par for the course with them.
    Plus if SF prosper so too will other parties and that would be excellent.

Read up on it there: Lo and behold not as you spun it.
    Seems there was an impasse and SF were worried it could result in the failure of devolution. Not sure they led the charge in so much as both SF and the DUP agreed it was the best option.

Getting back to your first line, how does this kind of decision in a completely different form of devolved government, in another jurisdiction, with different parties and politicians, 'overseas' as per Varadkar, play into what SF might do in office in the south? Do you think they'll ask Westminister to take over welfare in the south?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-34853112

They were the government, they introduced the motion, they voted in favour of it, which bit of leading the charge did they not do?

When did Varadkar say that Northern Ireland was "overseas"?

Finally, what are Sinn Fein doing up North to change it back and improve things? A big fat zero is the answer to that question.

• Advertisement

They were the government, they introduced the motion, they voted in favour of it, which bit of leading the charge did they not do?

Finally, what are Sinn Fein doing up North to change it back and improve things? A big fat zero is the answer to that question.

'leading the charge' colours it like they pushed for it the most when it looks like a decision both they and the DUP came to grudgingly.

I don't follow the intricacies of Stormount, but I doubt it's a big fat zero. Either way, for reasons explained, it has little to no bearing on the south.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Come off it, not a chance in hell you weren't aware of that balls up blanch. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

you need to understand the two setups are distinctly different. no amount of Leo whinging will change this and its also something pointed out to you on numerous occasions which you fail to address.

I'll ask you - how do you see it a fair comparison?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Doherty is a well meaning sort, but he wouldn’t be the sharpest knife in the block. Seems to mistake bluster and fake outrage for political insight.

Another 4.1 billion to extend the Covid payment to the end of the year. Where’s the money going to come from?

What a nonsense comment. Doherty really took on and exposed the insurance industry for the crowd of cowboys they are and sponsored a very fine piece of legislation that passed through the Dail at the end of last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

David Cullinane on TV3:

"So David, whats your opinion on this?"

"Well the government is wrong, everything is wrong"

An absolute charlatan with no experience of ever having to actually make a decision but a hindsight hero

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

David Cullinane on TV3:

"So David, whats your opinion on this?"

"Well the government is wrong, everything is wrong"

An absolute charlatan with no experience of ever having to actually make a decision but a hindsight hero

Any chance of a bit more context, or did you purposely leave the pertinent pieces of information out?

For those of us who did not see it, what was the "this" that Cullinane was asked his opinion on?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,655 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

McMurphy wrote: »
    Any chance of a bit more context, or did you purposely leave the pertinent pieces of information out?

For those of us who did not see it, what was the "this" that Cullinane was asked his opinion on?

I think the point was that it didn't matter what 'this' was, as the mantra is now, everything is wrong, regardless. Populist Trumpian blather.

Cullinane has made a career out of being agin everything on the PAC, getting applause from the ditch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

The reopening of the economy
    the decision to reduce the covid payment scheme for non full time workers
    the governments overall reaction to the crisis
    the government's decision to make private hospitals public and how this was handled

As I said - a lot of things.
    Watch it back on the player if you have the time.

All the things that the government was getting praise for - SF were going to do and all the things the Gov was getting criticised for - SF would have done differently.

It's almost like David Cullinane knows all & sees all - unfortunately only ever after the fact

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

the government's decision to make private hospitals public and how this was handled

All the things that the government was getting praise for - SF were going to do and all the things the Gov was getting criticised for - SF would have done differently.

It's almost like David Cullinane knows all & sees all - unfortunately only ever after the fact

A bit like a Francie fella I know of! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

I ask this question every month but any sign of a SF government yet?

I ask this question every month but any sign of a SF government yet?

MaryLou was on the, six o clock news, she's very happy with the way the covid crisis was handled and is going, a ringing endorsement of how, the Govt have handled it really.
    A niggle about the payments, but apart from that it sounded like she's happy with FG to continue on, at least that's what it sounded like to me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

• Registered Users Posts: 68,927 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Poor auld FG, rattled because an opposition TD says nasty things about them. :):)

Poor auld FG, rattled because an opposition TD says nasty things about them. :):)

Sure all you have to do is ask them a question and they get all narky.

Could be a row between the norths health minister and ours.
    Murphy claims there was a joint order put in for ppe and Harris says he knows of no such order.
    Now we all know Harris doesent remember all correspondence.
    https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus/conor-murphy-faces-dup-demand-for-all-emails-on-failed-ppe-joint-order-39264020.html

Could be a row between the norths health minister and ours.
    Murphy claims there was a joint order put in for ppe and Harris says he knows of no such order.
    Now we all know Harris doesent remember all correspondence.
    https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus/conor-murphy-faces-dup-demand-for-all-emails-on-failed-ppe-joint-order-39264020.html

Seems like Conor Murphy dropped the ball badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Surely easy enough to straighten out the details?

There'll be contracts & paperwork etc etc if there was a joint order. Or emails if it was discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Seems like Conor Murphy dropped the ball badly.

Time to give Howell, Adams, and the lads a call.

• Advertisement

Surely easy enough to straighten out the details?

There'll be contracts & paperwork etc etc if there was a joint order. Or emails if it was discussed.

Not if young Conor was spoofing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement