Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or have SF vanished?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Keep having a go at SF, its playing into their hands. The Under 35s are seeing through all the BS just like they did before the election.

Ah Mike from Athlone, sad enough to write into a newspaper your worse for posting it.

Any thoughts on the news this morning that Cancer Screening prob wont begin again until late summer? Can you blame SF for that?

Pkiernan wrote: »
    What is the Shin Bot position on Slab?
    A tax evading multimillionaire large property owner.

Does not compute...error.. error....

You will have to put your question into English? Looks like something my 14 year old brother wrote on his twitter page

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

You will have to put your question into English? Looks like something my 14 year old brother wrote on his twitter page

What a great response. That's me outwitted!

How do you reconcile SF supporters washing diesel and polluting our beautiful country with toxic sludge with national pride?
    Or is the only thing green about the SF morons the diesel?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

SF want to tax the rich ( but not Slab).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,910 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Mortelaro wrote: »

'No request' received yet. Get the publicity and the dig in but then shy away from the actual debate.

I agree that a debate should be held on the period and let everybody find out who was espousing fascist ideals.

How do you reconcile SF supporters washing diesel and polluting our beautiful country with toxic sludge with national pride?

So let me get this right, any person in the island of Ireland who washes diesel is a SF supporter? No FF or FG or any other party has supporters who ever done this?

Thats an amazing stat if true

Have you a link to back this up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

Chiparus wrote: »
    Link?

you can use google. Did you really not know that? Only the US and Switzerland spend more.

'No request' received yet. Get the publicity and the dig in but then shy away from the actual debate.

I agree that a debate should be held on the period and let everybody find out who was espousing fascist ideals.

I actually think it's a load of nonsense
    Put historical context on the plaques of all these statues and let that be the end of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

i don't agree with removing such statues. It is part of history, whether right or wrong is not the point. People should be educated as to what happened and why. Having said that, must have been a serious low life to ask Nazis for assistance.

• Advertisement

Hubertj wrote: »
    i don't agree with removing such statues. It is part of history, whether right or wrong is not the point. People should be educated as to what happened and why. Having said that, must have been a serious low life to ask Nazis for assistance.

Maybe he saw the Royals fraternising with them all through the 30's and the British Government and others turning a blind eye to them blatantly breaking the Versailles Treaty?

There isn't a single record of him espousing Nazi ideology. Were there more blatant fascists in Ireland during the period...hmmmmm, let me google that. :)

Having said that, must have been a serious low life to ask Nazis for assistance.

Not really
    It was a genuine case of my enemies enemy is my friend
    The holocaust was unknown to most at that time even in the UK
    Neutral Radio Éireann didn't even have war news
    My late father and locals got that from the light programme on the BBC
    They used do night duty on a local hill overlooking the sea watching for German planes

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

whats more moronic is not realising the things a border brings with it - smuggling being one.

People living on the border might be involved in smuggling, some of whom might be republicans, but its pretty obvious many arent. If you want to stop smuggling, get rid of the border - dont be unfairly blaming one side for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,934 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

About time, and to think he is still celebrated by many Sinn Fein supporters.

A Nazi collaborator statue has no place.

blanch152 wrote: »
    About time, and to think he is still celebrated by many Sinn Fein supporters.

A Nazi collaborator statue has no place.

Hopefully we can take down the memorial to brits killed in 1916 too

Also.need a serious consideration given to removing some of the follies built during the famine, they offer nothing to state in present form

Everything should be up for discussion in prrsent climate imo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

The Russell statue also commemorates Volunteers who died following the ending of the Civil War ( also known as the counter revolution)
    George Plant, Charlie Kerins etc.
    I would be in favour of putting up statues to everyone of them if I thought that no one else would die in this country as a result of political violence.
    Its all part of our history. Russell may have had Nazi leanings or may not but proper teaching of history should educate people to the good and bad points of these characters.
    I'm sure if we examined the background of Pearse Connolly Collins Brugha etc we would find plenty to get a mob excited about

maccored wrote: »
    whats more moronic is not realising the things a border brings with it - smuggling being one.

People living on the border might be involved in smuggling, some of whom might be republicans, but its pretty obvious many arent. If you want to stop smuggling, get rid of the border - dont be unfairly blaming one side for it.

Borders bring smugglers, yes, that it true, nobody disputes that. In itself, that isn't reason to get rid of a border.

However, the problem people have, is not the existence of borders or of smugglers that exploit them, it is the celebration of criminal smuggler thugs as "good republicans" as the former leader of Sinn Fein repeatedly did, and for which the current leadership refuse to apologise.

Borders bring smugglers, yes, that it true, nobody disputes that. In itself, that isn't reason to get rid of a border.

However, the problem people have, is not the existence of borders or of smugglers that exploit them, it is the celebration of criminal smuggler thugs as "good republicans" as the former leader of Sinn Fein repeatedly did, and for which the current leadership refuse to apologise.

Is this person a member of SF? Why would SF have to apologise for somebody who isn't a member?

I think Adams fully criticised him for the crime he was convicted of as well, stating that it was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Is this person a member of SF? Why would SF have to apologise for somebody who isn't a member?

I think Adams fully criticised him for the crime he was convicted of as well, stating that it was wrong.

He’s a member of the group who decide the long-term strategies and important decisions for SF. Have I proof? Or course not - the OC don’t publish their meeting minutes on the IRA.ie website. Do the various intelligence agencies, other political parties, and the dogs in the street in west Belfast know who is pulling the strings? Or course they do.

I can give you some of the other names if you like.

He’s a member of the group who decide the long-term strategies and important decisions for SF. Have I proof? Or course not -

Ok...we'll leave it there so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Ok...we'll leave it there so.

If only you could, Francie. If only you could.

When are you going to get it through your head. The voting base you need to try and win back do not give a ****e about Slab Murphy or the IRA. Many would feel sorry for Catholics up north and understand what happened and why it all happened, something that alot of the older population dont give a **** what they went through.

Keep at the SF bashing, its got Sinn Fein its best election result in decades

Its only going to get better aswell.

Maybe he saw the Royals fraternising with them all through the 30's and the British Government and others turning a blind eye to them blatantly breaking the Versailles Treaty?

There isn't a single record of him espousing Nazi ideology. Were there more blatant fascists in Ireland during the period...hmmmmm, let me google that. :)

Hmmm. let me see.......

https://www.historyireland.com/20th-century-contemporary-history/oh-heres-to-adolph-hitler-the-ira-and-the-nazis/

"in July 1940 the IRA leadership issued a statement outlining its position on the war. The statement made clear that if ‘German forces should land in Ireland, they will land . . . as friends and liberators of the Irish people’. The public was assured that Germany desired neither ‘territory nor . . . economic penetration’ in Ireland but only that it should play its part in the ‘reconstruction’ of a ‘free and progressive Europe’. The Third Reich was also praised as the ‘energising force’ of European politics and the ‘guardian’ of national freedom."

"War News, the IRA’s main publication, became increasingly pro-Nazi in tone, even claiming active IRA involvement in the German bombing of British cities. But more chillingly it began to ape anti-Semitic arguments. Satisfaction was expressed that the ‘cleansing fire’ of the German armies was driving the Jews from Europe. "

You might want to withdraw your statement in bold.

He’s a member of the group who decide the long-term strategies and important decisions for SF. Have I proof? Or course not - the OC don’t publish their meeting minutes on the IRA.ie website. Do the various intelligence agencies, other political parties, and the dogs in the street in west Belfast know who is pulling the strings? Or course they do.

I can give you some of the other names if you like.
    Name the present chief of staff?

Under rules,upon arrest/imprisionment it changes,who is now presently chief of staff there,since slab was imprisioned few years ago?

Indeed,when was last time the army council met,to best my knowledge it hasnt in 10 plus years

All billy big balls,willing to name names etc,while anyone i ever asked,seems to.back away from these questions,
    Which seem obvious place to start,how is that

If only you could, Francie. If only you could.

We seen this week in courts what happens when allegations are made that cannot be backed up.

You can believe allegations if you wish, I don't.

Hmmm. let me see.......

https://www.historyireland.com/20th-century-contemporary-history/oh-heres-to-adolph-hitler-the-ira-and-the-nazis/

"in July 1940 the IRA leadership issued a statement outlining its position on the war. The statement made clear that if ‘German forces should land in Ireland, they will land . . . as friends and liberators of the Irish people’. The public was assured that Germany desired neither ‘territory nor . . . economic penetration’ in Ireland but only that it should play its part in the ‘reconstruction’ of a ‘free and progressive Europe’. The Third Reich was also praised as the ‘energising force’ of European politics and the ‘guardian’ of national freedom."

"War News, the IRA’s main publication, became increasingly pro-Nazi in tone, even claiming active IRA involvement in the German bombing of British cities. But more chillingly it began to ape anti-Semitic arguments. Satisfaction was expressed that the ‘cleansing fire’ of the German armies was driving the Jews from Europe. "

You might want to withdraw your statement in bold.

Soon as you show him uttering a single line of Nazi rhetoric or ideology, then I will withdraw what I said.

Russell was according to the same article 'uninterested in political debate'.

And the same article also has this to say
    Was this simply a more extreme form of the widespread ‘sneaking regard’ in Ireland for German military victories over the British during 1940? After all, much of nationalist Ireland refused to believe that any form of oppression was worse than that inflicted by the British. What differentiated the IRA from other sections of nationalist opinion, however, is that the organisation had an anti-Nazi history. In 1933 the IRA’s newspaper An Phoblacht had condemned ‘Hitlerism’ as a ‘disease’. After the Nazis came to power the paper attacked those ‘rather foolish people’ in Ireland who praised Hitler. It criticised anti-Semitism and drew attention to the similarity between the Blueshirts in Ireland and fascists elsewhere in Europe.

I think a good debate on the Russell issue would be cathartic here too as we would have to address who the real fascists were at that time in Ireland...for comparison.

Soon as you show him uttering a single line of Nazi rhetoric or ideology, then I will withdraw what I said.

I think a good debate on the Russell issue would be cathartic here too as we would have to address who the real fascists were at that time in Ireland...for comparison.

You're not seriously suggesting that the IRA of the 1940's and FG of the same time had something in common, wanting Hitler to win? I don't think you are but it's a side effect of what you said
    For context,no one in Ireland in the war ,much less in the 30's was aware of Hitler's genocidal plans
    So on that basis we're all looking back at those times with today's knowledge and standards, which is a bit pointless

Name the present chief of staff?

Under rules,upon arrest/imprisionment it changes,who is now presently chief of staff there,since slab was imprisioned few years ago?

Indeed,when was last time the army council met,to best my knowledge it hasnt in 10 plus years

All billy big balls,willing to name names etc,while anyone i ever asked,seems to.back away from these questions,
    Which seem obvious place to start,how is that

How do you know that?

To the best of my knowledge, it meets an awful lot more regularly than that.

See how this works.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

SF should be more vocal on the BLM protests but i guess all the people they get money from the states from are trumpers now.

• Advertisement

You're not seriously suggesting that the IRA of the 1940's and FG of the same time had something in common, wanting Hitler to win? I don't think you are but it's a side effect of what you said
    For context,no one in Ireland in the war ,much less in the 30's was aware of Hitler's genocidal plans
    So on that basis we're all looking back at those times with today's knowledge and standards, which is a bit pointless

It is a good idea to look at the timings of various happenings. For example, the "Blueshirt" taunting of Fine Gael as quasi-Fascists is historically inaccurate. There was a split in Fine Gael, less than two years after it was founded, leading to those with fascist tendencies leaving completely and founding the National Corporate Party. That split was 1934, before the enactment of the Nuremburg Laws and the full horror of Nazism was revealed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Corporate_Party

In essence then, the claim that Fine Gael had links to fascism centres around a short period of time after its foundation at a time when the evils of fascism weren't widely known, when there was a struggle for the leadership and direction of the party, which the fascist element lost and left the party for another direction.

What was interesting about the article I posted earlier, was the reference in it to links between the fascist remnants of the Blueshirts which weren't welcome in Fine Gael and the IRA. It was a link that I had previously been unaware of

"The strategist of the bombing campaign, James O’Donovan, was also seen by some as influenced by fascist thinking. It was in this context that IRA officers could approach Eoin O’Duffy, who as a Free State general, Garda Commissioner and Blueshirt leader had been a sworn enemy of their organisation, and offer him a place in its leadership. Clearly a section of the leadership at least was also happy to revel in Nazi successes."

There are some very dark elements to the history of the IRA in that period.

"the argument that Russell and the IRA could have had no idea of the nature of Nazi policies is spurious."

"Seán Russell may have been uninterested in political debate but he was hardly unaware of these matters. That he was happy to take up residence in Berlin as a guest of the Nazis, meet their high command and propose plans for military action in support of a German invasion was collaboration, whatever his private motivation."

"unlike these hypothetical collaborators, the IRA actually wanted a German invasion and was in a position for a period to physically assist one. That is the central problem that many still refuse to face up to."

It is a very balanced and accurate historical account that makes for very interesting reading.

Another interesting article on IRA/Nazi links.

https://www.historyireland.com/20th-century-contemporary-history/new-evidence-on-iranazi-links/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement