Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or have SF vanished?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭celt262

Maybe they had no intention of going into government but will the people who voted for them this election vote for them again seen as they don't seem to have made any effort to form a government.

Running up to the Election and shortly after they were very visible on social media saying what they would do and slating the other parties but that seems to have stopped a long time ago. (it isn't coming up on my feeds anyway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

What do you think the chances of that are?

Oh if SF can regroup and popularise, so can others,it ain't rocket science,FFFGG have the benefit of power and decision making having learned what the disaffected want,So I'd say pretty high

FF also have the advantage of a large number of councillors after a successful 2019 election with an impressive engine on the ground to compliment government power
    They're very tooled up to whip ass now to regrow canibalised skin

• Registered Users Posts: 68,883 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Oh if SF can regroup and popularise, so can others,it ain't rocket science,FFFGG have the benefit of power and decision making having learned what the disaffected want,So I'd say pretty high

FF also have the advantage of a large number of councillors after a successful 2019 election with an impressive engine on the ground to compliment government power
    They're very tooled up to whip ass now to regrow canibalised skin

They have been completely rehabilitated by FG, Why? Because FG know they need them.

I don't think they have a chance in hell of changing. Maybe if the diastrous election had unleashed the leadership retribution it should have in both parties.

The overwhelming sense here is of 'clinging on'.

They have been completely rehabilitated by FG, Why? Because FG know they need them.

I don't think they have a chance in hell of changing. Maybe if the diastrous election had unleashed the leadership retribution it should have in both parties.

Oh I think that's wishful thinking
    Don't underestimate the resolve to neuter the protest vote
    They're not fools,they have a majority government to actually implement stuff now,a fairly comprehensive list of stuff in that programme
    A world of difference from what a confidence and supply outfit can do
    Theres many many advantages to them making this work

If labour and the Soc Dems come together in the next decade,SF will have a lot of work to do to stand still

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Maybeook at my last sentence and maybe quit bragging on a policy until is implemented and proven a, success.
    I see you bragged it up by saying even SF have signed up for it, good recommendation right there!
    To Hubertj.
    Apologies, it was JohnnyFlash that I had replied to.
    But to yourself, read my post again.
    I joked as to slainte care and what it might mean in reference to the word slainte.
    As to facts, I'll give opinion if I please and if you're not happy with that, tough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,931 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

There seems to be some really confused thinking going on.

If Fianna Fail have been rehabilitated by Fine Gael, that means that they should be a stronger threat to Sinn Fein at the next election, but you seem to think that this is all a good thing for Sinn Fein.

There is a lesson for the electorate in the last three months - Sinn Fein are not a serious party of government.

They're not fools,they have a majority government to actually implement stuff now,a fairly comprehensive list of stuff in that programme

If labour and the Soc Dems come together in the next decade,SF will have a lot of work to do to stand still

You think the confederation of dunces who presided over record breaking crises in C&S are going to change? And you accuse me of 'wishful thinking'? :D

blanch152 wrote: »
    There seems to be some really confused thinking going on.

If Fianna Fail have been rehabilitated by Fine Gael, that means that they should be a stronger threat to Sinn Fein at the next election, but you seem to think that this is all a good thing for Sinn Fein.

There is a lesson for the electorate in the last three months - Sinn Fein are not a serious party of government.

the arrogant 'lessons for the electorate' preaching begins. Keep it up...that outta do it.

You think the confederation of dunces who presided over record breaking crises in C&S are going to change? And you accuse me of 'wishful thinking'? :D

I think only a fool would underestimate the fffgg collaboration versus a poor adversarial confidence and supply arrangement yes
    And I don't think you are a fool, I just think you'll be relying on them cocking it up
    A big ask when they're working together as opposed to fighting

the arrogant 'lessons for the electorate' preaching begins. Keep it up...that outta do it.

So are Fianna Fail rehabilitated or not? If they are, why aren't you worried?

• Advertisement

I think only a fool would underestimate the fffgg collaboration versus a poor adversarial confidence and supply arrangement yes
    And I don't think you are a fool, I just think you'll be relying on them cocking it up
    A big ask when they're working together as opposed to fighting

Two incompetent parties with no change at the top are more likely to doubly cock up.

So are Fianna Fail rehabilitated or not? If they are, why aren't you worried?

Rehabilitated enough so that they can lead FG in as a crutch to power.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭celt262

Two incompetent parties with no change at the top are more likely to doubly cock up.

You hope

Yeah,I 2nd the 'you hope' but I'd expect it to be a forlorn hope

celt262 wrote: »
    You hope

I don't actually.
    I believed Enda in 2011...too long in the tooth now to get carried away with the hail fella well met waves of positivity. (I think it is more relief than positivity tbh)

I don't actually.
    I believed Enda in 2011...too long in the tooth now to get carried away with the hail fella well met waves of positivity. (I think it is more relief than positivity tbh)

I thought you believed him in 2016 as well, or did I misread that?

I thought you believed him in 2016 as well, or did I misread that?

I didnt really. More a vote for Humphries, truth be told.

I didnt really. More a vote for Humphries, truth be told.

I still find that very hard to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Blanch still pushing the 'Fine Gael competence' angle like a pliant elf in Santa's workshop.

There were a couple of competants in the last Fine Gael cabinet (namely Coveney and Donohoe), the rest relied on their civil servants to keep them from walking into lampposts every other day.

If you want to sell a party as 'the clever boy party', have more than a couple of people who can chew gum and walk at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

SF as the official opposition, dear God help us :(

A rag-tag of assorted ex cons "freedom fighters" & jailbirds, led by a very vocal baglady with a loud voice. It will be a painful kind of drudgery for the foreseeable future, as the new Dail attempts to function and steer the country out of this Covid crisis, while Mary Lou & her band of pirates hurl abuse & insults across the chamber on a daily basis.

It won't be pretty.

• Advertisement

SF as the official opposition, dear God help us :(

A rag-tag of assorted ex cons "freedom fighters" & jailbirds, led by a very vocal baglady with a loud voice. It will be a painful kind of drudgery for the foreseeable future, as the new Dail attempts to function and steer the country out of this Covid crisis, while Mary Lou & her band of pirates hurl abuse & insults across the chamber on a daily basis.

It won't be pretty.

The outgoing government and their fellow travelers were no choirboys when it came to flinging invective.

This may surprise you, but a hell of a lot of people have no time for the disdain and arrogance they displayed, and it showed at the ballot box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

All parliamentary party's and senators have endorsed the deal including Catherine Martin of the Greens. Her support is crucial in getting it ratified by the Green faithful.
    I'd be surprised now if it's not ratified by all party's.
    Michael will be Taoiseach before the end of the month god help us.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0616/1147646-programme-for-govt-endorsed/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

...forgot to add wannabe "New age intellectuals" to the ranks of the Sinn Fein rag-tag of Pirates. Eoin O Groanin & his undersized "intellectual specs" comes to mind. A future Shinner leader, possibly?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Yurt! wrote: »
    Blanch still pushing the 'Fine Gael competence' angle like a pliant elf in Santa's workshop.

There were a couple of competants in the last Fine Gael cabinet (namely Coveney and Donohoe), the rest relied on their civil servants to keep them from walking into lampposts every other day.

If you want to sell a party as 'the clever boy party', have more than a couple of people who can chew gum and walk at the same time.

Are you the lad who voted for that SF looper down in Clare? The one who didn’t pay her rent, doesn’t believe in vaccines, and likes to get high ans abuse her constituents on Facebook.

Those in glasshouses, my friend.

Are you the lad who voted for that SF looper down in Clare? The one who didn’t pay her rent, doesn’t believe in vaccines, and likes to get high ans abuse her constituents on Facebook.

Nope, and I've criticized her if you want to sift through my posts.

Try again Johnny.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

The Soc Dems should forget this dual leader approach (although one of them will throw a wobbly if she cant be leader) They have a solid six seats base and if they could work the next few years to bring that to ten they could be in a strong position for government.
    The honeymoon is now over for FG. Once they are back in power and the Covid show moves on their poll ratings will drop. There wont be much between FF FG and SF come another election. Martin will have had Taoiseach gig and will retire as leader. I can see a new F. leader ready to do a deal with SF/Labour or others and freeze FG out

The outgoing government and their fellow travelers were no choirboys when it came to flinging invective.

This may surprise you, but a hell of a lot of people have no time for the disdain and arrogance they displayed, and it showed at the ballot box.

There is a distinct taste of lemon in the air.

I see Mary-Lou has retreated to the safety of BBC Radio Ulster for her interviews, avoiding the hard questions she would get down South. Par for the course for her.

Is there a handy rock for her to climb back under? At 51, with another decade on the opposition benches looming, her political career may have peaked already. How long before she gets pushed?

No, I think he voted for the other nutter in Kildare.

She is the one who is against water flouridation, the anti-semite who thinks Jeremy Corbyn is a victim of Mossad and that Irish judges are pedophiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

There is a distinct taste of lemon in the air.

I see Mary-Lou has retreated to the safety of BBC Radio Ulster for her interviews, avoiding the hard questions she would get down South. Par for the course for her.

Is there a handy rock for her to climb back under? At 51, with another decade on the opposition benches looming, her political career may have peaked already. How long before she gets pushed?
    She should step down and give Violet a chance

• Advertisement

Edgware wrote: »
    She should step down and give Violet a chance

Imagine Reada versus Violet for the leadership.

Maybe the one who went on holidays during the election will be able to referee the contest. Anti-vaxxer versus anti-semite.

I am so looking forward to their Dail performances. There is plenty of mileage in these idiots.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement